Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ladowack wrote: »
    "there is no reason to be alive if you can't do the deadlift"
    Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Highly ironic considering how he died....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

Hanley wrote: »
    Highly ironic considering how he died....

Yes a self fulfilling prophecy....he failed on his last rep!

Dying while doing something you love, if you have to go its the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Jonny303 wrote: »
    most of my favorite are far too long tho!

The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.
    -- Vince Lombardi

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Izoard wrote: »
    Hanley,

This is nicely captures in a Nike ad from around 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0l2B7RU5Q

What am I on? I'm on my bike...bustin' my ass!

Speaking of nike ads:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwjRtTKviSY&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

To anyone who has played or done sport and at some stage of their career been at a low point (which is 100% of people).

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. "

Martin Luther King Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Another one I liked that I forgot earlier. Any b'ball fans might be interested to know that Phil Jackson liked to include this quote (and many others) in his scouting notes for his all-conquering Chicago Bulls team of the early-mid nineties.

Team sports orientated again, I s'pose!

From RUDYARD KIPLING'S Second jungle Book:
    Now this is the Law of the Jungle — as old and as true as the sky;
    And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
    As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back —
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Jonny303 wrote: »
    there good, just finished painting the walls and mirror coming 2moro so then its time to decided. most of my favorite are far too long tho!
    BossArky wrote: »
    So, OP - what do you think?

So, I'm guessing the walls are painted by now? What quotes did you decide on? It has to the Henry Rollins!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

all painted but nothing up yet! i unfortunatly am not the artistic member of the family, so waiting for my sis to come home. really havn made up my mind yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I can't believe I forgot this one;

"Fúcking get some"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

"Practise doesn't make perfect, perfect practise makes perfect"

"That's not racism John, that's ethnic criticism" - Eamon Dunphy on a coloured footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

For Roper ;):D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs

Seriously though, Pacino = Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

FunkZ wrote: »
    "That's not racism John, that's ethnic criticism" - Eamon Dunphy on a coloured footballer.

Wrong. I think you will find the quote relates to Scots because he was talking about Alex Ferguson and Gordon Strachan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Pursuit of Excellence - Vince Lombardi
    "The difference between a successful man and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will, because the character rather than education is man's greatest need and man's greatest safeguard, because the character is higher than the intellect.

The difference between men is energy, in the strong will, in a singleness of purpose, and an invincible determination.

But the great difference is in sacrifice, in self-denial, in love and in loyalty, in fearlessness and in humility, in the pursuit of excellence and in the perfectly disciplined will, because this is not only the difference between men, but this is the difference between great and little men."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Lomu

"No Pain No Gain"

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

"If you care about what people, who are of no consequence to you, say about you, then that shows a serious lack of self-belief on your part" - Mick O'Dwyer

And the whole of "If" by Rudyard Kipling

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

Good practise makes consistancy.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

BossArky wrote: »
    This is a nice one. Depending on how much wall space you have you may just want to go for the part in bold :pac:

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

– Henry Rollins

Awesome quote, read that before but forgot about it. Gonna bookmark this page :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." Emil Zatopek

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

Probably one of the oldest quotes related to exercise:

Better werst thou be wet, than to folly.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired"

I love this thread - any chance it can be stickied? Also, can anyone tell me who the above quote is from?

Thanks Loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I love this thread - any chance it can be stickied? Also, can anyone tell me who the above quote is from?

Thanks Loads!

It's from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 damp sponge

Not specifically to do with weight training but I find it motivational all the same:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Michael Jordan

Not specifically to do with weight training but I find it motivational all the same:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Michael Jordan

Oh I forgot about that one! That's a good one from MJ.

Reggie Miller, the old 2-Guard from the Indiana Pacers used to always say "It's a game of percentages - the more I miss, the more I score!"

He ain't wrong, I guess! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Some T-Nation knob once said this: "Strong people are harder to kill".

Stuck with me since I read it a couple of years ago.

Most of the things Arnold had to say about bodybuilding I would agree with also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Some T-Nation knob once said this: "Strong people are harder to kill".

Stuck with me since I read it a couple of years ago.

Most of the things Arnold had to say about bodybuilding I would agree with also.

That is perhaps from Rippetoe's Starting Strength originally maybe - I know he says 'stronger people are harder to kill, and more useful in general' - which I really really like!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I've always liked this one: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Winners never quit, quitters never win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Its not because I can, but because if you tried you couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Check these out, football speeches, but they work for almost any team sport.

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/08/28/8-inspirational-football-locker-room-speeches/

Advertisement