Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes

Options
  • 25-10-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Doing up my gym at home at the moment and ona the lads who trains with me wants to do something on the walls. We wants to paint quotes on them, ones that can give you that extra lift when u feel like jus calling it a night early. Any good suggestions?

"The day you take complete responsibility for yourself, the day you stop making any excuses, thats the day you start to the top." - O.J. Simpson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Bathed in sweat, bent over and gasping for breath, Lungs burning, the athlete might have wondered aloud if this is what death must feel like. In time, this same athlete will surely realize the opposite. Indeed, this is what life feels like

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

This is a nice one. Depending on how much wall space you have you may just want to go for the part in bold :pac:

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

– Henry Rollins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

''Lift harder you pussy'' - me

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

BossArky wrote: »
    This is a nice one. Depending on how much wall space you have you may just want to go for the part in bold :pac:

The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it’s impossible to turn back.

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

– Henry Rollins

i like

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have "Dedication" "Determination" "Discipline" "Desire" on my wall.

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body" is one of my faves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

A few choice fitness quotes from Homer Simpson:

"Blast through the burn and ride the zone."
    "Feel the burn. Overshift the extreme. Max the envelope and so on."

The ones above are obviously cheesy and taking the p out of fitness slogans but I think this one from Homer to Marge is actually a great quote to have on the wall:

"If you toned up a little, you'd probably get a lot more action."

It's not as articulate and inspiring as some of the other quotes but it probably sums up pretty well why a lot of people hit the gym in the first place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

BossArky wrote: »

– Henry Rollins

I saw this ages ago and forgot about it. Fantastic quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

"There IS no tomorrow!" - Apollo Creed, Rocky III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlbKn8_p3vk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

From Conan's dad :D
    The gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield.

We who found it are just men.

Not gods. Not giants. Just men.

The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline.

For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

This you can trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ronnie

Please excuse the terrible music on the second one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Nowler

"If you wanna wear gloves just make sure they match your purse"

"Everybody wants to be bodybuilders but nobody wants to lift heavy ass weights"

Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn."

The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else

'The wolf at the top of the hill may not be as hungry, but when he wants the food, its there!'

"The greatest feeling you can get in a gym, or the most satisfying feeling you can get in the gym is... The Pump. Let's say you train your biceps. Blood is rushing into your muscles and that's what we call The Pump. You muscles get a really tight feeling, like your skin is going to explode any minute, and it's really tight - it's like somebody blowing air into it, into your muscle. It just blows up, and it feels really different. It feels fantastic"

"the closer you are to failure, the closer you are to victory, it all depends on how closely you walk the line"

"Champions Train Losers Complain"

"If You Can't Run With The Big Dogs, Stay On The Porch"

People used to laugh and make fun of me when they saw me spending all my time and money on bodybuilding, they didnt understand why i did it, they said i was wasting my life, but i didnt let that bother me, they said i was obsessed with it, "obsession is what lazy people call dedication"
    I continued to work out balls to the wall " making my haters my motivators"
    Look at me now,
    Look at me compared to my haters and tell me Who's wasting their life now.
    "pain is temporary glory is forever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

On the day before the Dublin Marathon: "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

- Rocky Balboa ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I was in a boxing gym in NY and on the wall was "Girls are fine, at the right time". Looked as though it had been there forever.

I don't have any slogans or anything on my wall but I do have an oversize portrait of myself looking dissappointed in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭deiseff

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

I know it long but i like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

deiseff wrote: »
    It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

I love this quote. Have heard it before and it's so appropriate - it's the kind of thing you'd love to print out a thousand times and hand it to every "hurler on the ditch" or "Monday Morning Quarterback" you come across... Any GAA/Soccer/Rugby players or jockeys etc will know what I mean!

Personally, this is my favourite quote, maybe based more at people who play field sports again:

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." --- Vince Lombardi

Also, this one from The Greatest:
    "The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." --- Muhammad Ali

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Personally, this is my favourite quote, maybe based more at people who play field sports again:

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, his greatest fulfillment of all he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." --- Vince Lombardi

Hey that's not just for field sports! It's one of my favourtie quotes too. You go hit a max squat and spend 5+ seconds grinding it up and tell me it doesn't also hold true :p

Another one of my favourite's can be seen in my sig. Just think about it, think about what an other person must be thinking to look at someone and say it. Think of the sort of level you'd have to get to for people to say it. I'm NOT doing this so people will say that, but if they look around and think it, I can be damn well sure I'm on the right road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Nowler

deiseff wrote: »

He's gonna have to build another wall to fit all that on lol.
    Just playing bro, i like that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Hanley wrote: »
    Hey that's not just for field sports! It's one of my favourtie quotes too. You go hit a max squat and spend 5+ seconds grinding it up and tell me it doesn't also hold true :p

Ah sure any pussy can do that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

"winners do what losers wont"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

"Champions aren't made in gyms, they are made from something they have deep inside them, a desire, a dream, a vision"
    Muhammad Ali

and a couple of other good ones from Muhammad.

"I'm the best, I just haven't played yet"
    Muhammad Ali, (having been asked about his golf game)

"You say you a boxer? What kinda boxes you make?"
    Muhammad Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're not here for a good time. You're here for a long time.

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

another inspirational quote from the one and only Muhammad Ali:

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'' "

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

So, OP - what do you think?

(not a quote)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

davyjose wrote: »
    I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

- Rocky Balboa ;)

Damn! Got there before me.

I always think of Rocky when I'm working out.

Oh, eh, wait....Not in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

there good, just finished painting the walls and mirror coming 2moro so then its time to decided. most of my favorite are far too long tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

My vice is triathlon/ marathon, so the quote from Lance Armstrong below has gotten me through some dark moments...

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Izoard wrote: »
    My vice is triathlon/ marathon, so the quote from Lance Armstrong below has gotten me through some dark moments...

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

Damn... I was just thinking about Armstrong quotes.

There's a great passage in "Every Second Counts" where he talks about riding up one of the hardest climbs in the tour and not being happy with it, not understanding/knowing the mountain. So he rode back down and did it all again.

Later when he sent his data to Chris Carmichael he got a call back from him saying that he thought the data had been corrupted because he got two different sets, and Lance just replied with something like; "yeah, I rode it twice". And Carmichael just said "you sick bastard". Or words to that effect.

I always thought that was an incredibly awesome passage.

There was another part of the book where he's talking about all the drug accusations, and talks about how guys take it easy in the often season and just mess about during the winter period. Anyway it was the worst day of the year, and he went out to ride the Alp D'huez (I think) and it was impassable due to snow etc. He rode up as far as he possibly could. Anyway, his simple answer to why he won so many tours, and was so dominant, was that he was on his bike. When everyone else was sitting at home taking it easy, he was on his bike. When he won the tour, the week after, he was on his bike. When he was yellow and bald from chemo, he was on his bike.

The whole book is incredibly moving and well worth a read for anyone who hasn't read it already. I htink I'll read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hanley,

This is nicely captures in a Nike ad from around 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0l2B7RU5Q

What am I on? I'm on my bike...bustin' my ass!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ladowack

Some guys lift weights to be pretty, but me i lift to be the strongest man there is..........then again i'm already pretty.
    Magnus Samuelsson

"there is no reason to be alive if you can't do the deadlift"
    Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Advertisement