Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson C905

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Elessar wrote: »
    That's the C902 - C905 is not available on Meteor Pre-pay. 3 is still the cheapest at €399.

Opps never mind:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Walkman wrote: »
    Not being able to go on the internet is normal when not in 3g coverage (yes I know some have been able to do this bit if you are one of the lucky ones this is outside the norm). You should not be getting any message about not being on home network when texting.

Right, from a quick survey I've done, it would appear that if your phone is branded 3, then you can neither set network to GSM only (like Nokias for one can), nor browse the Internet when you are not in a 3G area. If your phone is not branded, then you can do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

testicle wrote: »
    Right, from a quick survey I've done, it would appear that if your phone is branded 3, then you can neither set network to GSM only (like Nokias for one can), nor browse the Internet when you are not in a 3G area. If your phone is not branded, then you can do both.

so whay your saying is if you have a non 3 branded handset you can browse the internet when roaming on Vodafone? How big was this survery?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Balls, o2 only do it in silver (wtf). Was offered it for €250 on bill pay with gold upgrade. Would really prefer it in black though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭cullenswood

You can set your phone to GSM only on three by using myphoneexplorer, but you will no longer be able to surf the web properly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hi, looking to purchase this phone sim free, anyone know where is the cheapest. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bah! Have to return mine. GPS isn't working. Tried a soft reset, hard reset, reinstalling the firmware, and Wayfinder locks on for the first time, but won't do anything after that. Then it won't lock onto anything after that. I say 'lock on' because in Location Services, it seems to find satellites, but just doesn't want to connect.

Wayfinder is pretty ****ty though. Hope version 8 due in the firmware upgrade next month is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sid3

Was in a Vodafone shop today in Limerick for the nth time asking when they would have the C905 and the girl told me she doesn't think Vodafone are going to do it at all in Ireland. Anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

sid3 wrote: »
    Was in a Vodafone shop today in Limerick for the nth time asking when they would have the C905 and the girl told me she doesn't think Vodafone are going to do it at all in Ireland. Anyone confirm this?

Hi was on to Vodafone on Monday and got this reply back from them:

Dear Customer
    Thank you for contacting us with your query.
    The Sont Ericsson C905 will be released by Vodafone. There is however no date confirmed for this release as the handset is still in testing.
    If you have any further queries, please call us on CallSave 1850 20
    87 87 between 08:00hrs to 22:00hrs and we will be happy to assist you.
    Yours sincerely

http://www.vodafone.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

so whay your saying is if you have a non 3 branded handset you can browse the internet when roaming on Vodafone? How big was this survery?

Having debranded by phone's software to a generic one, it would appear to be the case alright, as I can now browse the internet while out of 3G coverage, where as I could not before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Im at the end of my contract with 3 and i can get cheap upgrade.

so my choices are the sony ericson c905 for €179, or the LG renoir for €150

i have heard some bad things about the c905 with the speaker going dodgy also the keys get stuck

anybody incounter these problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some of the C905's have the trouble you describe but there all under warranty, for the price it'll cost you on an upgrade it's still good value, I wouldn't let some isolated problems put you off...the renior is a nice phone as well, it's not as nice to use as an iphone..but then again the iphone dosen't have the same features...

If you didn't have to have a 8mp camera, I can't recemmend the nokia e71 highly enough, it truly is a master phone...it's so good you'll start to loose intrest in other phones...

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Hi, looking to purchase this phone sim free, anyone know where is the cheapest. Thanks.

Have you tried adverts.ie? I have a sim free one on there for sale.

Hope im allowed say that here?

Latest firmware isn't bad. The conversation flow in SMS is pretty decent actually. Will try out the latest Wayfinder when I'm driving. Had to change my CDA to get it done though, which was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

dermo1990 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the c905 will be coming to vodafone.

Asked the Same question a long time ago and this is the response.

"Thank you for contacting us with your query. Please accept our
    apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

The Nokia N96 is due to be released in November/December (we
    currently do not have an exact date).

The Sony X1 will be released but we don't have a date. The rough time
    we have been given is the next few months.

We are not releasing the Sony C905 but we are going to be releasing
    the Sony C902 in the next few months.

We have no plans for the Nokia N85.

If you have any further queries, please call us on FreeFone 1907 and
    we will be happy to assist you
    ."

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

With the C902 reaching it's end of life now with Vodafone, what's the likelihood Vodafone will now release the C905. I don't see any other phone with Vodafone that has a 8mp lens with xenon flash. Seems to fit my bill. Should I hold out for the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

I've had my 905 for a few months now and love it. Only problem is that the 6, 9 and # buttons "stick" when trying to text (or post on boards from the mobile;)) Anyone else have this problem? I'm with 3 so thinking of taking it back to the shop when I get a chance. Anybody know if they will just give me a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Also, can't seem to download the software update to the phone, is this a 3 thing or a handset problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I've had my 905 for a few months now and love it. Only problem is that the 6, 9 and # buttons "stick" when trying to text (or post on boards from the mobile;)) Anyone else have this problem? I'm with 3 so thinking of taking it back to the shop when I get a chance. Anybody know if they will just give me a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Also, can't seem to download the software update to the phone, is this a 3 thing or a handset problem?

You will not get a new one but it will sent away for repair. AFAIK you cannot update the software yourself with 3. When the phone is sent off it will be reflashed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

Was on to Vodafone customer service about another matter, but when I asked about the C905 as an afterthought, they said it was still being tested, but that it should be released in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

You will not get a new one but it will sent away for repair. AFAIK you cannot update the software yourself with 3. When the phone is sent off it will be reflashed too.

Thanks Walkman, will pop into the shop in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I've got the C905 on which the trial-version has expired. So i bought it from SE's wap-site for 5 euros. Plotted a route from Cork to Cliffs of Moher, but the reception (or something) on the trip was rubbish. "GPS not available" most of the way up. And when it came on it was struggling to keep up with the actual plotted way. Got notices about exiting roundabouts ten minutes after we passed it.

I dunno if it's the phone or the network in Ireland (I'm on O2 billpay) But luckily we brought an oldfashion map to save us. :)

Edit: Sorry for the mother of all holy bumps :P

I didn't find the maps on the C905 up to much, to be honest. The only decent mapping software I've used are the ones on Windows Mobile or S60.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Getting the C905 tomorrow, O2 offered it to me as a replacement for my lost C902, which was pretty sweet.

Any tips, particularly good software to download etc. etc.? Not too worried about the GPS side of things as I have a Garmin for that but I am looking forward to the WiFi connectivity.

Any other cool things for me to find on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

AFAIK you cannot update the software yourself with 3. When the phone is sent off it will be reflashed too.

You can update the software with 3, just not over the 3G network as the file is too large and 3 won't let it download. You need to install SEUS and reflash the phone through the usb cable.

I've the C905 for 8 months and I've had two serious failures with the GPU, the second only happened yesterday :(

Its a good phone when its working but you'll be lucky to get a year out of it without some problem. I know two other people with the phone, both have had to send it for repair - the speakers and keys are the main issues it seems. Sony seem to acknowledge this and is why they are pushing the probably more reliable W995, which is basically the same phone.

I'm getting it repaired and then its getting sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

nuttlys wrote: »
    You can update the software with 3, just not over the 3G network as the file is too large and 3 won't let it download. You need to install SEUS and reflash the phone through the usb cable.

Try connecting to a WiFi network and then try the update.

So far I have found that the phone will do everything via the WiFi network, except phone calls and texts obviously, when it is connected, so you can play with all those data intensive things like getting GPS maps without incurring phone data charges.

I haven't tried the update via WiFi but I suspect it will work as everything else seems to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

cnocbui wrote: »
    Try connecting to a WiFi network and then try the update.

So far I have found that the phone will do everything via the WiFi network, except phone calls and texts obviously, when it is connected, so you can play with all those data intensive things like getting GPS maps without incurring phone data charges.

I haven't tried the update via WiFi but I suspect it will work as everything else seems to.

Does it automatically default to a WiFi network where one is available so?

Got mine today, delighted with it so far, noticeable difference in the speed of the UI compared to the C902 and it's good to be back to a large screen, that always bugged me on the C902. Camera quality seems exceptional for a phone.

Updated via SEUS and then restored all my contacts via a previous My Phone Explorer backup. Gotta love SE.:D:D

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Does it automatically default to a WiFi network where one is available so?

Not quite sure what you mean. It can be setup to automatically join known/fovourite WiFi networks if WiFi is turned on. So far, mine has always used the WiFi connection rather than GPRS for any operations which require an internet connection. I have mine set to use GPRS rather than 3G.

Of course having WiFi turned on affects battery consumption, GPS even more so. If they are both on you are looking at only a few hours of battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Updated via SEUS and then restored all my contacts via a previous My Phone Explorer backup. Gotta love SE.:D:D

+1

SE have me hooked because of this backup support, even better if you have internal bluetooth in your pc. Also the integration with outlook was a great surprise.

Still I gonna stand by my word, the C905 is the xbox360 of the mobile world - only time before a fatal problem. The only other phone I'm looking at now after the having the C905 is the iPhone, I will miss the camera tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

can anyone give me the o2 internet setting and what ever els

• Advertisement

Advertisement