Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson C905

Options
  • 20-10-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Sony Ericsson are finally releasing the c905 sim free this friday, and I can't wait to get my hands on one, only problem is, if I do get it, it won't be set up for the net/picture messaging/video calls etc etc.

Seeing as these features are all on the c902, can I have Vodafone set it up as a c902 so these features will work, or is this even possible? I don't want to buy the phone and realise I can't use these features, especially the new geotagging feature.

Anyone who can shed some light on this matter would be handy.

Thanks,

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Where are you getting it sim free if you dont mind me asking? how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the settings are on this forum, just put them in when you get the phone.link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Spillane wrote: »
    Sony Ericsson are finally releasing the c905 sim free this friday, and I can't wait to get my hands on one, only problem is, if I do get it, it won't be set up for the net/picture messaging/video calls etc etc.

Seeing as these features are all on the c902, can I have Vodafone set it up as a c902 so these features will work, or is this even possible? I don't want to buy the phone and realise I can't use these features, especially the new geotagging feature.

Anyone who can shed some light on this matter would be handy.

Thanks,

Alan

They can only set it up on the network end. Chances are you'll already be provisioned for all that. You'll have to put in the settings yourself. Think The SE website can text them to you though, which makes it a bit easier, obviously, although it's not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spillane

Excellent stuff lads, big help!

I haven't yet decided where I'm gonna buy it, play.co.uk are taking pre release orders for £399, expansys.ie are doing the same but their price is even more again, €600/£499!

I'm waiting until the phone is released and people will start having them on ebay.co.uk Should be interesting to see their prices what with all the hong kong sellers now on ebay.

I'm in the middle of trying to import a few of them myself at the moment, but with min. order quantities and it being such an expensive phone I'm not too sure weather or not to make the plunge.

Thanks for the help again lads!

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

You can get the settings sent to your phone from here

It only shows the C092 settings, but if you go through the process further it gives the option to select the C905.

How much did you get the C905 for? At 8 mega pixels, it really is more of a camera then a phone now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah and if vodafone settings are working, it will be on their side, so when you ring them up say you have a C902 or K850i

I haven't gotton the phone yet, trying desperately to get my hands on one, if not a lot more...

If I do get my hands on 10 or so of them I'll post it here, but they'll prob go up on ebay. Won't be happening for another while if I decided to even go down that route at all, might just buy one for myself and leave it at that.

It's def after becoming more of a camera than a phone, it madness! Just can't wait to get one!

Thanks for the link aswell dammer!

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Anyone know if / when three or o2 are releasing it here? I'm due and upgrade or network change depending.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Anyone know if / when three or o2 are releasing it here? I'm due and upgrade or network change depending.

I contacted both O2 and Vodafone last week about this one;

O2 - "We will be getting the Sony Ericsson C905 in at some stage this month.

Unfortunately we do not have a release date at present."

Vodafone - "Vodafone are launching the Sony C905 in either November or December.
    I am sorry I cannot be more precise.
    There is no price available as yet."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Stock is only arriving in O2 UK this month, so I'd be quite surprised if O2 Ireland actually get their hands on it before november. The C902 has been quite a good seller for me in work, hopefully the C905 will be as well but its probably only going to be available free on a higher end 18 mth contract - say £45 or so. As for the price - Probably around €300-250 or so on an entry level contact, price decreasing as your tariff goes up, say to what, around €200-150 for the first few months for the very top end tarriff.

• Advertisement

I dunno of your situation but I should add that Meteor have "changed" their upgrade paths of late, cloak and dagger stuff, suffice to say I'm out of contract but have to move to replace my now broken phone. So don't be surprised if you don't qualify, apparently they're all clamping down on upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

apparently they're all clamping down on upgrades.

ahh no there's one network that are still generous with upgrades, I won't mention there name for fear of retrubution...;)

Spillane, have you got the phone yet what's it like?, some of those latest phones set them selves up once you put your sim in, it hapend with my sim free nokia e71, web settings etc were set up the minute I put my sim in.....

ahh no there's one network that are still generous with upgrades, I won't mention there name for fear of retrubution...;)

Spillane, have you got the phone yet what's it like?, some of those latest phones set them selves up once you put your sim in, it hapend with my sim free nokia e71, web settings etc were set up the minute I put my sim in.....

I think I've seen your recommendations being blasted elsewhere, so I can guess who you mean :D I didn't like what I saw on offer from them, and was almost buying the C902 when I saw this beauty was on its way, so holding off to see what happens. To be honest on the upgrade side though, I think I'm just gonna cut the hassle out and switch from now on if they're problems, some operators think they own your soul at this stage!

@drunkmonkey: No, haven't got my hands on one yet. Trying my hardest to get one. Will keep people updated if I get one next week, fingers crossed.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

some operators think they own your soul at this stage!

much like fiannafail......do you think there in cahoots....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Will be out on 3 mid-november.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Think this phone looks like a crap w910i. Not nice at all. c902 is way nicer.

I'll have my c905 on tuesday/wednesday, woohooo:D

Bit of a sting to the pocket though...

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Think this phone looks like a crap w910i. Not nice at all. c902 is way nicer.

As far as camera phones goes its light years ahead of the w910i, the camera on the w910i is pure rubbish (and yes I know its a music phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

getting a couple for a friend next week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Thinking of picking one of these up and moving back from an iphone, so I'm a bit out of the loop with regards to how SE have developed their OS. I'm particularily interested in how it works with osx.

How will the c905 use wifi - wil it allow sync via wifi to my mac?
    Has messaging changed much since the k800?
    Is the browser any use at all?
    How well does the gmail app work?

Besides the camera and wifi what else does this phone have over the c902?

Thanks

su_dios wrote: »
    Thinking of picking one of these up and moving back from an iphone, so I'm a bit out of the loop with regards to how SE have developed their OS. I'm particularily interested in how it works with osx.

How will the c905 use wifi - wil it allow sync via wifi to my mac?
    Has messaging changed much since the k800?
    Is the browser any use at all?
    How well does the gmail app work?

Besides the camera and wifi what else does this phone have over the c902?

Thanks

Here's a good page for the comparison, not that much of a difference other then the wifi, camera, and the gps few small ones like the screen size and such.
    http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php/phone=390,cp=370

The C902 is a much slimer phone than the c905, a lot of people seem to be complaining about the size.

As for the messaging, what do ya mean? Writing of text messages? I'll compare when I get mine on wednesday.

Here's a youtube link on the browser giving a short comparison to the n96
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBvXHI0TjI

As for the mac and the wifi, I'm not any help on that matter I'm afraid.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

After the absolute disaster that is the Sony Ericsson K850i (the size of a brick, runs like Vista on a Penium III, dark photos when using flash, stupid touch menus...etc) I swore I'd never buy another Cyber-Shot branded phone.

...and I'd certainly never pay €589 (Sim free on Expansys) for a C905.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I have the K850i and find it is my favourite handset from Sony Ericsson so far; it's also my 5th Sony Ericsson handset too. Imaging is a step back from my K800i I had previous but, all things considered, I find it a great handset.

I've now stopped buying any Cybershot handsets, therefore giving the C902 and C905 a wide berth, as they've reached a point where their functionality is limited by my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

In depth review here: http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-c905-en.shtml

Personally, I feel the SE has lost their way in the last 18 months. The price they are charging for their high-end handsets relative to the features are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In depth review here: http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-c905-en.shtml

Personally, I feel the SE has lost their way in the last 18 months. The price they are charging for their high-end handsets relative to the features are ridiculous.

Agree. I think they've lost the plot by not advancing. After 4 Sony Ericsson handsets, it's time to turn back to the Nokia I think...

They also need to get new kit out faster - here's my take on what happens: Sony Ericsson announces a new handset. 12 months after announcement it's available to buy SIM-free at a ridiculous price. A further 6 months later you can get it on the Irish networks (post pay only). By this stage, it's old technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any SONY ERICSSON C905 owners here

and whats the feedback about it

any SONY ERICSSON C905 owners here

and whats the feedback about it

I've had mine a week today, and I couldn't be happier. I'm at work at the moment so I'll get a few pics up and give my opinion on it. But I'm very happy so far!

Alan

Ordered one off 3 this morning, should have it by the weekend....looking forward to playing with it! Will post some feedback on it

• Advertisement

Got my phone yesterday, quite heavy but I find that reassuring....looks well, handles well, but I had some issues with using WiFi, turns out the branded firmware put on by 3...and from what I've read other networks in the UK as well cause conflicts in accessing the internet.

10 euro on DaVinci and now I have a western europe unbranded phone...lost a few apps, skype, msn, but I'll survive that...much prefer the phone now :D

Advertisement