Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson C905

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

The GPS unit is a genuine chipset, capable of working without a mobile network....The A(assist) part of it makes a big difference using the local mobile transmitters to give an initial location to speed up a gps fix (which is a bit slow otherwise). Google maps as installed will connect to the internet for maps, my understanding is you can't cache these beforehand....however I've read that theres no issue installing your own google maps onto the memory card and setting a cache folder there for maps....think that covers gps, haven't looked at wayfinder yet though.

edit: when I say installing your own google maps, i meant to imply the application...not maps...just in cause i confused there

JDxtra wrote: »
    As stated above, it uses aGPS (assisted GPS). Put it this way - you won't be driving your car around with it.

Drove my car around with the phone in a holder, fixed on a number of satelites, enough to give excellent position, speed and direction....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I found that the GPS established a link quickly. However it only uses the online method so requires a data connection. I think it has the ability to pre-load some maps though. Still not as good as the nokia maps I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

whats the ui like on this phone is it as slow and bugged and randomly turning its self off like the C902. Or have SE worked on it a bit and sorted out those problems.
    Thinking of this phone or the W902 as im completely disappointed with the nokia N85

Richie6904 wrote: »
    whats the ui like on this phone is it as slow and bugged and randomly turning its self off like the C902. Or have SE worked on it a bit and sorted out those problems.
    Thinking of this phone or the W902 as im completely disappointed with the nokia N85
    (
    Ui is the best feature as it is lightning fast. Everything from camera to wifi selection to surfing is superb. I did find co irritation though today, as i travelled through the north it would not automatically change networks even though there were roaming. It meant i could only get emergency call access only unless i kept re-selecting a network. I do think that this is a three issue though. Plus the navigation is useless without a data connection.

• Advertisement

I found that the GPS established a link quickly. However it only uses the online method so requires a data connection. I think it has the ability to pre-load some maps though. Still not as good as the nokia maps I think.

Just to clarify cause theres a lot of confusion being spread...when you refer to "it" only using the "online" method, I assume you mean both google maps and wayfinder, which don't allow preloading of maps. That is the software, completely distinct to the GPS unit inside, which CAN operate without connecting to the network or costing any money...hopefully thats clear for anyone reading

• Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

so will sat nav work 100% on it...what sortware should you be using...

Just to clarify cause theres a lot of confusion being spread...when you refer to "it" only using the "online" method, I assume you mean both google maps and wayfinder, which don't allow preloading of maps. That is the software, completely distinct to the GPS unit inside, which CAN operate without connecting to the network or costing any money...hopefully thats clear for anyone reading

Well how is this for clarity. I tried to use the navigation up on the M1 where there is no 3 3G coverage (reverts to 2g ) and neither Google maps nor wayfinder would work without a data connection. So it might have a working GPS chip inside but it is damn all use if you miss your turn -ff and decide to try and use the navigation / maps.

Well how is this for clarity. I tried to use the navigation up on the M1 where there is no 3 3G coverage (reverts to 2g ) and neither Google maps nor wayfinder would work without a data connection. So it might have a working GPS chip inside but it is damn all use if you miss your turn -ff and decide to try and use the navigation / maps.

It is of great use to those of us who can/will use other means to make sure we have an offline capable gps service. Its not that hard to install other software if you don't like the defaults?? I just don't want people being mislead by the line not being drawn between hardware and software, I fully take your point on Nokia maps but thats a software issue, the gps unit works fine.

C905 = FULL GPS INTEGRATED PHONE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

so what software would you recommend for the C905, i've the same problem as jimmy using Nokia maps on the e71...it's prety annoying...

• Advertisement

so what software would you recommend for the C905, i've the same problem as jimmy using Nokia maps on the e71...it's prety annoying...

To be honest I'm still trying to look at that myself, no free time, but from what I've seen I think trekbuddy is the most highly recommended and I found some page that converts an online googlemap to a trekbuddy map which can be saved to phone. Really haven't tested or gone further than that though so can't swear its the "solution"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

su_dios wrote: »
    Could you explain this a little more please?

Let me clarify this - older sim cards from three would only allow message reports with handsets that specifically had three firmware. This seems to have changed within the past 6 months and the new three sims will allow the full range of options with debranded phones.

One thing I have noticed with WF navigator is that each time you fire it up it sends a message to authenticate. of course this happens to be to sweden so €.025 a pop.............

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

JDxtra wrote: »
    After the absolute disaster that is the Sony Ericsson K850i (the size of a brick, runs like Vista on a Penium III, dark photos when using flash, stupid touch menus...etc) I swore I'd never buy another Cyber-Shot branded phone.

...and I'd certainly never pay €589 (Sim free on Expansys) for a C905.

Couldn't agree more. Piece of sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just saw the c905 listed on the new meteor christmas magazine from €249 billpay (no availability dates tho')

Two features I really love on this phone - the standby screen has a nice ticker that shows your regularly updated RSS feeds and the geotagging on the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Two features I really love on this phone - the standby screen has a nice ticker that shows your regularly updated RSS feeds and the geotagging on the camera.

Can you tell me if the standby screen can show calendar entries that you happen to have for that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

For anyone that wants it

Settings to work with vodafone.. exact same as c902
    Please below the settings for your Sony Ericsson C902.

Below are listed the Vodafone Irl. Live! GPRS, MMS GPRS, & E-mail
    Client settings for the
    Sony Ericsson C902 handset.

This is a 3G Vodafone live! device.

To begin a Vodafone live! session:
    Pressing the right softkey button automatically begins a Vodafone
    live! session.

Vodafone Live! GPRS Settings
    1. Press Menu> Settings> [scroll right to] Connectivity> Internet
    Settings> Connect Using> Options> Create New.
    2. Set ‘Account Type’ to ‘PS data’.
    3. Set ‘Name’ to “Vodafone live!”.
    4. Set ‘APN’ to “live.vodafone.com”.
    5. Press "Save".
    6. Scroll to “Vodafone live!“ (i.e. the profile just created).
    7. Press ‘Options’ and then ‘Edit’.
    8. Scroll to ‘Proxy Settings’ and press ‘Edit’
    9. Set ‘Proxy’ to ‘On’.
    10. Set ‘Same for all Servers’ to ‘Off’.
    11. Set ‘Proxy Servers’ to ‘Multiple’.
    12. Press ‘Edit’ and then ‘HTTP’.
    13. Set ‘Proxy Address’ to “10.24.59.100”.
    14. Set ‘Port’ to “80”.
    15. Press ‘Back’, ‘Back’, ‘Back’, ‘Back’ to return to the Menu screen.
    16. Select ‘Vodafone live!’.
    17. Scroll to ‘Settings’.
    18. Scroll right to ‘Connectivity.’
    19. Scroll to ‘Default Homepage’ and press ‘Edit’.
    20. Set ‘Name’ to “Vodafone live!”
    21. Set ‘Address’ to “<http://live.vodafone.com>”.
    22. Set ‘Allow Local Connection’ to ‘On’.

MMS GPRS Settings
    Settings> Connect using> Options> Create New.
    3. Set ‘Name’ to “Vodafone MMS”.
    4. Set ‘APN’ to “mms.vodafone.net”.
    5. Press "Save".
    6. Scroll to “Vodafone MMS“ (i.e. the profile just created).
    8. Scroll to ‘Proxy Settings’ and press ‘Edit’
    9. Set ‘Proxy’ to ‘On’.
    10. Set ‘Same for all Servers’ to ‘Off’.
    11. Set ‘Proxy Servers’ to ‘Multiple’.
    12. Press ‘Edit’ and then ‘HTTP’.
    13. Set ‘Proxy Address’ to “10.24.59.200”.
    14. Set ‘Port’ to “80”.
    15. Press ‘Back’, ‘Back’, ‘Back’, ‘Back’ to return to the Menu screen.
    16. Press Menu> Settings> [scroll right to] Connectivity> Message
    Settings> MMS.
    17. Select ‘Vodafone MMS’.
    18. Press ‘Options’ and then ‘Edit’.
    19. Set ‘MMS profile name’ to “Vodafone MMS”.
    20. Set ‘Message server’ to “<http://www.vodafone.ie/mms>”.
    21. Set ‘Connect Using’ to “Vodafone MMS”.

E-mail Settings
    Settings> Connect using> Options> Create New.
    3. Set ‘Name’ to “Vodafone MISP”.
    4. Set ‘APN’ to “isp.vodafone.ie”.
    5. Press "Save".
    6. Scroll to “Vodafone MISP“ (i.e. the profile just created).
    8. Set ‘Username’ to “vodafone”.
    9. Set ‘Password’ to “vodafone”.
    10. Set ‘Login request’ to ‘On’.
    11. Leave ‘IP address blank.
    12. Leave ‘DNS address’ blank.
    13. Set ‘Authentication’ to ‘PAP’.
    14. Set ‘Data Compression’ to ‘Off’.
    15. Set ‘Header comp.’ to ‘Off’.
    16. Scroll to ‘Proxy Settings’ and press ‘Edit’.
    17. Set ‘Proxy’ to ‘Off’.
    18. Set ‘Same for all Servers’ to ‘Off’.
    19. Set ‘Proxy Servers’ to ‘Off’.
    20. Press ‘Back’, ‘Back’, ‘Back’, ‘Back’ to return to the menu screen.
    21. Press Menu> Messaging> Email> Accounts.
    22. Select ‘Vodafone Mail’.
    23. Press ‘Options’ and then ‘Edit’.
    24. Scroll right to ‘General’.
    25. Set ‘Your name’ to your name.
    26. Set ‘Email address’ to your vodafone.ie email address i.e.
    “xxxx@vodafone.ie <mailto:xxxx@vodafone.ie>”.
    27. Set ‘Account Name’ to “Vodafone Mail”.
    28. Scroll right to ‘POP3’.
    29. Set ‘Connection Type’ to ‘POP3’.
    30. Set ‘Server address’ to “pop.vodafone.ie”.
    31. Set ‘Username’ to your vodafone.ie email address i.e.
    “xxxx@vodafone.ie <mailto:xxxx@vodafone.ie>”.
    32. Set ‘Password’ to your My Vodafone password.
    33. Set ‘Encryption’ to ‘No encryption’.
    34. Set ‘Port’ to “110”.
    35. Set ‘Connect Using’ to ‘Vodafone MISP’.
    36. Scroll right to ‘SMTP’.
    37. Set ‘Server address’ to “mail.vodafone.ie”.
    38. Set ‘SMPT authentication’ to ‘Same as POP3’.
    39. Set ‘Encryption’ to ‘No encryption’.
    40. Set ‘Port’ to “25”.
    41. Set ‘Connect Using’ to ‘Vodafone MISP’.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Walkman wrote: »
    As far as camera phones goes its light years ahead of the w910i, the camera on the w910i is pure rubbish (and yes I know its a music phone)

yeah agrees got the c905 on o2 yesterday in silver and love it.. Fantastic phone swap an n96 piece of crap for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Elessar wrote: »
    Can you tell me if the standby screen can show calendar entries that you happen to have for that day?

I'd love to know how to do this too..or if theres a way to use google calendar better than loading up the net.

Also how to set opera mini as default?

How do you add rss feeds to show up in the ticker?

su_dios wrote: »
    I'd love to know how to do this too..or if theres a way to use google calendar better than loading up the net.

Also how to set opera mini as default?

How do you add rss feeds to show up in the ticker?

No calendar or events on standby. Pity as that was nice no nokia.
    Rss shows up as an icon next to a speech bubble. You can scroll up and down the list of updates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seanmheff

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a new sony ericsson for myself for christmas. If i buy a factory unlocked one off ebay, i will be able to use it to get on the mobile internet?? Im using an o2 sim. Would I just have to enter in the o2 GPRS and MMS settings and away I go??

Thanks in advance, hope i can get a reply soon!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi,

I picked up my 905 yesterday.

On the top left of my screen is a "H" inside a blue square.....what the hell is that for / mean?

Also, next to this H logo is a colour globe logo....what is this for? I have disconnected all of my interenet settings (I don't want to get hit with a hefty data bill as I have done in the past) but no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the globe.

Any help with these questions would be most appreciated.

Edit: I am not being lazy :D, I have looked through the book of wisdom that came with the phone and had a look at the SE website, but I can't find anything that relates to these 2 logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

The H symbol means your in an 3G cell that supports HSDPA.

Is your phone O2 branded?
    If it is, they added a similar feature to the K850i( globe symbol always in status bar) , it just means your connected to the internet for faster inital access, and you shouldnt be incurring data usage, but no harm to check your data counters to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

seanmheff wrote: »
    Hello,

I was thinking about getting a new sony ericsson for myself for christmas. If i buy a factory unlocked one off ebay, i will be able to use it to get on the mobile internet?? Im using an o2 sim. Would I just have to enter in the o2 GPRS and MMS settings and away I go??

Thanks in advance, hope i can get a reply soon!

Cheers

Yeah no problems doing that, you can get settings from SE website or from the O2 one, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Thanks for you help Billbond.

Also, just thought I'd mention this to anyone looking to buy a C905 soon.

On the O2 website it says that you just get the phone with the usual cables, charger etc and a memory card is extra......however.......I bought mine (O2 business plan upgrade) in the O2 shop in Naas for the same price as the website and....it comes with a 2 gig memory card already installed in the phone and you also get a nifty USB adaptor for the memory card as well.

I'm glad I didn't buy online!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Besides the 8mp camera,are the features similar to the k850i?anynew features?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Besides GPS related features and Wi-Fi, not much else.

The overall look and feel to the handset, in my opinion, is the biggest difference between the two. I played with a C905 recently and I must say the buttons have a nice, tactile feel to them, in comparison to the small buttons on the K850i.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

lots
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2003&idPhone1=2250

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm thinking of getting this phone soon. Can anyone tell me if you can use Wayfinder without the data connection? GPS is very important to me and in order to properly replace my now broken/redundant Airis GPS it needs to be able to store maps locally.

Other than that, is there other voice guided sat nav software out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Any recommendations for headsets with this? Im not a fan of the ones supplied, also it doesnt have a standard earphone jack so i can't just plug my existing earphones into it.

Advertisement