Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic-free city centres for Ireland?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

To the two lads who sent me some fairly nasty pms, please stop. its only a discussion board and you are letting the cycling cause down.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

To a miserable, skinny impoverished cyclist I suppose it is.
    If you can't win an argument then just resort to insults.

460186.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

To the two lads who sent me some fairly nasty pms, please stop. its only a discussion board and you are letting the cycling cause down.

Did anyone actually send anything? I got a message saying I'm being ignored :), although I never sent anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Raam wrote: »
    Did anyone actually send anything?

I would doubt it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Did anyone actually send anything? I got a message saying I'm being ignored :), although I never sent anything.

me too. i'm ignored but i never sent anything, and i doubt anyone did either. its just a tactic that trolls use to make them look like a victim - boo hoo. if he/she (just realised it could be a woman too, i doubt it somehow, but i'll stick to gender neutral terms) is so upset they can post the names and the content of the messages here - in fact i'd actually challenge them to do it because i think they're lying, but they wont see this post. if anyone did send an abusive personal message, it can be easily reported to the admins. and i think it highly unlikely that two people would send personal messages to them in such a late stage into the thread, in the same extremely brief time period between one post and the next. nonsense.

ok basta. it sounds like i'm getting worked up by a nose picking motorist when i'm not. last from me on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Without me you'd be cycling on mud tracks.

Awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No you won't, we'll all be on the cycletracks.
    Wearing our helmets. Listening to our iPods.

can-of-worms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i lubricate my chain with wd40.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

niceonetom wrote: »
    Nooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

niceonetom wrote: »

Too far man, too far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I moved closer to work and I now cycle from Clondalkin to Grand Canal Dock. I have the luxury of showers at work, I can see how not having that facility would turn people off. But as usual in discussions about commuting (I know a lot was off topic) the motorcycle is ignored. Why? Over 150 posts about walking, car, public transport and cycling and the best method of transport is ignored! If people are worried about sweating and are basically too lazy to cycle (i know cycling isn't an option for some people with ill health, or that have to carry stuff or move around all day), a moped or motorcycle is the answer. Seamus mentioned it as the fastest way around the city, and having used all modes of transport on a lot of different commuter routes (including from well outside Dublin City) it's the fastest by a mile. People uses to laugh when it was raining saying "did you get wet" thinking they were being funny. If you have decent waterproofs (like me) you'll get wetter walking from your workplace to your car parking space!
    I cycle now as another way to keep fit. Cycling combines your time in the gym with your commuting time! I under stand it's not for some people. But I really hope I don't turn into a cycling nerd like most of the cyclists on here! I know some of the motorists are the same, but I mean comments like "motorists as a species are disgusting" and "a car is a luxury item" are mental! Maybe a luxury item in your life, but essential for a lot of people.
    And for the people that blame bad weather for not cycling, if you have a car or public transport option, why not just use those the days it's raining? I mean it's raining today, so I might just leave the bike at work and get the bus home. I hate public transport, but every once in a while isn't the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

If you can believe what you read in the news
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1023/traffic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe I'm a cynic but I can't see this happening - this vote will be taken by the same committee (DCC SPC) that wouldn't extend bus lanes to 8pm. The only thing that might force the issue is when/if construction of metro north commences - it won't be feasible to have private and public transport trying to navigate around giant holes in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Quint wrote: »
    But I really hope I don't turn into a cycling nerd like most of the cyclists on here!
    what do you suggest people talk about on the cycling forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

what do you suggest people talk about on the cycling forum?

I'm talkint about the millitant cyclists that say stuff like "motorists as a species are disgusting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm talkint about the millitant cyclists that say stuff like "motorists as a species are disgusting"

Where do we say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Sometimes, in the heat of debate, some otherwise perfectly reasonable members of the forum will overstate their position. Trolling will sometimes provoke this.

Don't go assuming it characterises the constant behaviour every member of the forum.

And what the hell is wrong with being a nerd anyway?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

nerds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

So most of us on here aren't nerds then. that's grand. I'm being pedantic I know, but you calling us all bike nerds is the same as someone calling all motorists fat nose-picking demons.

That's me on the right, chuffed at having made it up the Sally Gap last July:D
    nerds.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

a_t6bnt.jpg

i'd wear this if only it weren't for the dubious aerodynamics and poor sweat wicking properties of cotton...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'll see your shirt and raise you this one:

onecogblue1.jpg

I've also got a great t-shirt myself for the Madrid Critical Mass that I really should take a photo of.

el tonto wrote: »
    I'll see your shirt and raise you this one:

onecogblue1.jpg

I've also got a great t-shirt myself for the Madrid Critical Mass that I really should take a photo of.

My first reading of this was 'Nay Cog, Nay Ring, Nay God' - the slogan of an atheist bike hater (from Scotland?)...

Cool, I like it.

Advertisement