Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic-free city centres for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Rubbish. Global warming doesn't exist.
    Well, SOMETHING has to explain your profuse sweating.
    Scary irrational cyclists. Thats why you are so despised by the majoirity.

What? People despise cyclists? Because they are scared of them? Or do they just despise flickrx?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

boom, lets not get little things like facts get in the way.

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

el tonto wrote: »
    Troll, troll, troll your boat...
    So rather than actually having a discussion you are just going to hurl abuse at me? Is it because my facts made you look silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

boom, lets not get little things like facts get in the way. From Hadcrut./

hccooling0808.jpg

what does that graph actually mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

So rather than actually having a discussion you are just going to hurl abuse at me? Is it because my facts made you look silly?

That's exactly what a troll would say. You lose, my cyclist hating sweat fiend friend. Begone ! Drive away on your 7 litre cyclist crushing SUV to climate heaven!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

DBCyc wrote: »
    That I was correct in saying global warming doesnt exist. It just shows temp over the last 11 years, 0 being average.

Again Verb what have I said here that would make you believe I'm a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This debate might be served better in another forum.

Climate Expert, is it not correct that the recent dip in the Hadcrut data is down to reduced solar activity, which was at an all time high during the nineties. You can't present this short term data and skew it to the point where you say "Climate change is a myth".

If you look at your own Hadcrut data over a longer period:

gtc2007.gif

Granted I am no expert like you and I am sure that the number of marine vessels and land stations recording data has increased over the last 30 years compared to the 19th century.

The fact is, the planet is getting warmer and it is man made. Short term changes in the sun cannot be used to distract from the long term manmade changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That I was correct in saying global warming doesnt exist. It just shows temp over the last 11 years, 0 being average.

Ah, 11 years. An eternity on the geological timescale :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

That little graph disproves global warming? Well, you are the self-professed expert :rolleyes:

This is quite inflammatory:
    Scary irrational cyclists. Thats why you are so despised by the majoirity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Fortunately for me, I am highly experienced in the ways of the Internet and recognise trolls with impunity. I also know how to deal with them. I shall be putting you on my ignore list ! Goodbye !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just to point out: this thread has gone from discussing baby wipes to geological time scales. Nice work lads. :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This debate might be served better in another forum.

Climate Expert, is it not correct that the recent dip in the Hadcrut data is down to reduced solar activity, which was at an all time high during the nineties. You can't present this short term data and skew it to the point where you say "Climate change is a myth".

If you look at your own Hadcrut data over a longer period:

gtc2007.gif

Granted I am no expert like you and I am sure that the number of marine vessels and land stations recording data has increased over the last 30 years compared to the 19th century.

The fact is, the planet is getting warmer and it is man made. Short term changes in the sun cannot be used to distract from the long term manmade changes.
    You are right, a more detailed discussion is not for here. Unfortunately I'm banned from green issues.

That graph above has been skewed by adding ina few months at the start, otherwise the trend would have been down. The author chose 11 years as it made the graph flat, ten years would be down. You can manipulate the data to tell any story. The fact is in the last ten years co2 has gone way up but temp hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

and you call cyclists irrational.

go for a run or something, you might sweat the idiocy out of yourself eventually.

ugh. just the thought of someone sweating profusely simply after walking. it makes me sick to my stomach. motorists as a species are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yep I'll always be a voice for reason and the mainstream...
    In the absensce of an unbiased all knowing judge we can assume that consensus is correct.

well, that's a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

You have shown a graph that supports your point of view, it doesn't make you correct. I'm sure that many "climate experts" would disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

DBCyc wrote: »

That graph means nothing as it's selective in the data it chooses. Go back 30 years and the trend is upwards. It's no coincidence that 10 warmest years on record are all post 1995.

macinalli wrote: »
    That graph means nothing as it's selective in the data it chooses. Go back 30 years and the trend is upwards. It's no coincidence that 10 warmest years on record are all post 1995.
    It is selective as its made my a pro global warming guy. You are being selective in going back only 30 years. We can't go back to geological time scales as the data doesn't really exist before the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You are right, a more detailed discussion is not for here. Unfortunately I'm banned from green issues.

That's really very funny.

You can manipulate the data to tell any story. The fact is in the last ten years co2 has gone way up but temp hasn't.

You are right there, people do it all the time. But from what I have read, if you take the following simplification:

(global_temp)=(Solar_Intensity)+(Insulating_effects of_greenhouse_gases)

greenhouse gases are only one part of the problem, but if we continue to do nothing and ignore the problem because of changing solar output, then the naxt time (solar_intensity) goes up, so will your hadcrut chart.

Oh, and yes to traffic free centres except buses, taxis and luas i guess

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm banned from green issues.

Shocked, I tell you

huh.jpg

Lumen wrote: »
    That's really very funny.
    Hey, I'm a martyr for the truth. Sometimes people don't like the truth. You cyclists don't like to hear it when it comes to cars and commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You cyclists don't like to hear it when it comes to cars and commuting.

What is the truth there?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hilarious! So do you just carry this baggage from forum to forum looking for arguments?

Hilarious! So do you just carry this baggage from forum to forum looking for arguments?
    No, somebody else brought it up. I countered, they insulted me with pictures so I replied with data.

What more should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's no coincidence that 10 warmest years on record are all post 1995.
    That's not true. It was shown to be an error in calculations - NASA got it wrong. Only 3 of the top ten occured since 1995.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2271629.ece

flickerx wrote: »
    motorists as a species are disgusting.

Your comment made me think of this, introducing the 2008 Mercury Mistress

The linky she no work! Here ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Hey, I'm a martyr for the truth. Sometimes people don't like the truth. You cyclists don't like to hear it when it comes to cars and commuting.

Dude you're wasting time here! There are thousands of scientists who have spent their lives studying this and have come to a consensus who need to be told about your graph!

Quickly, to the batmobile!

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Dude you're wasting time here! There are thousands of scientists who have spent their lives studying this and have come to a consensus who need to be told about your graph!

Quickly, to the batmobile!
    They are all struggling to come up with other factors to explain the lack of global warming to keep their funding going. I wouldn't put too much faith in the IPCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sorry, what was this thread about again?

Climate Expert- irrespective of my belief that you are a troll you are arguing about two quite distinct things; (1) is global warming happening and if so is it man made (a question of fact, whether we know the answer or not) and (2) is cycle commuting reasonably comfortable (not a question of fact but a matter of opinion for the person doing it.)

Advertisement