Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic-free city centres for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Its actually Flickerx who is arguing about the wrong thing. Get your facts straight.
    You may have some valid points, but presenting them in this way in this forum because you're banned elsewhere is just trolling.
    Do any of you read?
    It was Flickerx who started it so I countered. I would have left it but lots of other people started to argue. You are all to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They are all struggling to come up with other factors to explain the lack of global warming to keep their funding going. I wouldn't put too much faith in the IPCC.

You may have some valid points, but presenting them in this way in this forum because you're banned elsewhere is just trolling.

And besides, it makes you look a bit mad, which detracts from your presumed cause, which is to educate people. Unless your cause is to irritate people, in which case you're just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

They are all struggling to come up with other factors to explain the lack of global warming to keep their funding going. I wouldn't put too much faith in the IPCC.
    You don't need faith, this is scientific research we are talking about. Maybe you can tell us that the 35 consenting organisations here are all part of a funding conspiracy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This guy hates us anyway and seems to spout usual nonsense:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57573608&postcount=53
    Cyclists should be taxed not given benefits. They pay nothing for the roads they cycle on.

Time for the ignore button...

Raam wrote: »
    This guy hates us anyway and seems to spout usual nonsense:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57573608&postcount=53

Time for the ignore button...
    Why ignore and not argue?We could both learn something from each other.

Do you think it fair that cyclists get their roads paid for by motorists? Do you think it fair that at least half the tax from motoring does not go back into motoring?

• Advertisement

Do you think it fair that cyclists get their roads paid for by motorists? Do you think it fair that at least half the tax from motoring does not go back into motoring?

I've no desire to argue. I pay loads of tax, I also own a car. Now what?

I've no desire to argue. I pay loads of tax, I also own a car. Now what?
    You get ripped off as a car owner. I'm talking about people who don't pay any motoring tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You get ripped off as a car owner. I'm talking about people who don't pay any motoring tax.

As in people who pay neither VAT or income tax? Because both go into road funding.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Honestly, I've no issue. They don't motor, so I don't see why should they pay a so called "motoring tax".

Stark wrote: »
    As in people who pay neither VAT or income tax? Because both go into road funding.
    Wrong. Road taxation in its many forms overflows into other areas of the exchequer. You could argue that all taxes are poured into one big pot for all but when you are taxed for a specific purpose then it is reasonable to expect that money to be used for that puropose.
    So cyclists should be kissing the exhausts of their motoring friends.

• Advertisement

You could also argue that only smokers should be allowed access to health services...
    You could argue that all taxes are poured into one big pot for all but when you are taxed for a specific purpose then it is reasonable to expect that money to be used for that puropose.

So I suppose taxes on alcohol should go to funding pubs? That's not the purpose of taxing something.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I cant find the ignore button...:o

Deja Vu.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Vrt, vat on fuel, road tax, fuel tax. Its all a tax on motorists to drive a vehichle on Irish roads. Not for luxury items like drink.

Motoring is a neccessary evil in my book.

Harpz wrote: »
    I cant find the ignore button...:o

Click on the person's name, then go to "View Public profile". On the public profile page, click on "User Lists" then "add to ignore list".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Vrt, vat on fuel, road tax, fuel tax. Its all a tax on motorists to drive a vehichle on Irish roads. Not for luxury items like drink.

A car is a luxury item.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

You're right there, they are 'our' roads... you're paying tax for the privilege of using them, and wrecking them, and badly resurfacing them, and making motorways which we can't ride on... why should I pay for your motorway? Or your pothole?

dubmess wrote: »
    You're right there, they are 'our' roads... you're paying tax for the privilege of using them, and wrecking them, and badly resurfacing them, and making motorways which we can't ride on... why should I pay for your motorway? Or your pothole?
    Without me you'd be cycling on mud tracks. Typical freeloading cyclist attidute. I bet you get a tow off trucks when you commute.

penexpers wrote: »
    A car is a luxury item.
    To a miserable, skinny impoverished cyclist I suppose it is.

• Advertisement

Without me you'd be cycling on mud tracks. Typical freeloading cyclist attidute. I bet you get a tow off trucks when you commute.

Don't forget about me, I pay the same taxes as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You pay tax on your use of a car, not on the use of the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you want the luxury of sitting on your fat ass in traffic listening to Gerry Ryan sit on his fat ass for RTE while you fiddle with the aircon settings and pump hazardous fumes into the air because you are too [insert expletive here] lazy to get on a bus/cycle/walk to travel the sub 10km commute into the city centre every day, then by God you should be taxed through the arse for that!

I live in Foxrock (ugh!) and every day I see people who live locally (I mean within a kilometre) drive to the village and clog up the roads, park on double yellow lines, so that they can go have lunch in the gables. I'm not being chippy either, my parents go there quite a bit and I have to hang my head in shame when they forsake the 10-15 minute walk (admittedly the roads and footpaths are abysmal due to the amount of mansion-building that went on around here over the last 10 years) and drive down.

Do I pity them and others for having to pay for being so lazy? Nope!

Very few people HAVE to drive around a major city. They CHOOSE to drive over other, cheaper alternatives. For that, they are taxed.

And yes, we seem to tread the same old ground every few weeks, perhaps we should add "no stupid motor tax talk" to the charter.

Rant over.

Stark wrote: »
    Click on the person's name, then go to "View Public profile". On the public profile page, click on "User Lists" then "add to ignore list".

ahhh bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Not sure who that comment was aimed at, but I own a car. I contribute to the "road tax" too. Thing is, I choose not to drive it because I much prefer cycling and using the train/bus to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

whatever leg you had to stand on before with your claim of not being a troll has snapped in half now (possibly under the stress of your bulk)

may i suggest that for this thread that you take a piece of your own advice a few posts back, and metaphorically suck on an exhaust pipe yourself, i.e. stop posting over and over again, when its obvious nobody here (even car owners) agree with you.

you talked earlier about consensus (i doubt you even understand really what that is), you think by your inflammatory comments you'll now get anyone here to sympathise for the poor, put-down, over-taxed motorist? (boo hoo). i'll repeat my advice that you should go for a run to relieve some stress instead of trolling here, or maybe jerk yourself off over your SUV (or whatever abomination you inevitably posess) - if you can still see over your belly to find your penis.

flickerx wrote: »
    whatever leg you had to stand on before with your claim of not being a troll has snapped in half now (possibly under the stress of your bulk)

may i suggest that for this thread that you take a piece of your own advice a few posts back, and metaphorically suck on an exhaust pipe yourself, i.e. stop posting over and over again, when its obvious nobody here (even car owners) agree with you.

you talked earlier about consensus (i doubt you even understand really what that is), you think by your inflammatory comments you'll now get anyone here to sympathise for the poor, put-down, over-taxed motorist? (boo hoo). i'll repeat my advice that you should go for a run to relieve some stress instead of trolling here, or maybe jerk yourself off over your SUV (or whatever abomination you inevitably posess) - if you can still see over your belly to find your penis.
    If you can't win an argument then just resort to insults. Well I've said my bit. See you on the roads boys.

If you can't win an argument then just resort to insults. Well I've said my bit. See you on the roads boys.

No you won't, we'll all be on the cycletracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

ho ho. my bet is you wont be able to leave this thread if it stays alive, you'll be too wound up to leave without having the last word, typical troll behaviour. you should check your own posts too for insults, hypocrite.

we'll see you on the roads alright - you'll be sitting there waiting for the cars to move six feet forward every five minutes, we'll wave to you as we fly by unimpeded, leaving you to pick your nose in your rear view mirror. ciao!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

No you won't, we'll all be on the cycletracks.

I very much doubt that Climate Expert ever actually leaves the house what with the perspiration issues.

Now, where's that 'ignore' button again...

Advertisement