Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing Cigerette Butts out Car Windows

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Dinter wrote: »
    Yep I hate that too. Plus whatever about looking messy the butts aren't biodegradeable and carry a load of toxins that end up being washed into shores and from there into the water table.

Tbh it's just laziness to drop them.

that's a pretty good point about the water table senor! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

jim o doom wrote: »
    I don't think smoking in cars should be banned myself - I don't care WHAT people do in their cars, as long as it doesn't interfere with their driving.. But littering in a way that can be dangerous for me on the road (cigarette butt inside helmet in the face) is a factor... if you have issues being unable to put a cigarette out in your ashtray, then maybe YOU shouldn't drive and smoke - don't see what other car driving smokers should be affected by a law, when they are happy to use the ash tray provided in the vehicle. Personally I find my trouser pockets a good place for change as opposed to throwing them out of a moving vehicle..

Don't get your knickers in such a twist.. I was joking, although think it probably is dangerous... (dropping cigarette in car, both hands not 100% free, ashtray issues etc.)

I'm nearly sure it has been banned in some countries?

Don't get your knickers in such a twist.. I was joking, although think it probably is dangerous... (dropping cigarette in car, both hands not 100% free, ashtray issues etc.)

I'm nearly sure it has been banned in some countries?

oh, sorry dude, totally misread it - sometimes it's hard to get the feeling of a post :) Nah I don't really think it is dangerous, unless the driver is an idiot - it's not THAT distracting - it's only the part that interferes with me that I have a major problem with.. :p air born debris is enough of a pain on a bike without adding airborne flaming cigarettes to the mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Wow that's amazingly sound of you - I hate it when people call me on something irresponsible and ignorant that I have done too! Best way is to get back at them for trying to make you feel like the douche they think you are, as soon as humanly possible -especially good if done in a stupid and illegal fashion that shows how manly you are!

your right, because of those inspirational comments of yours, im now a reformed man!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

geuro wrote: »
    Why smoke if you don't like the smell?

Not excusing it in any way at all, but for what it's worth there is a difference between the smell of a used cigarette butt and the smell of tobacco. Smokers will probably notice it a lot more than non-smokers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

DarkJager wrote: »
    Somewhere, the dolphins are playing violins for you.....

And somewhere you're tossing a cigarette butt from the window because you're somehow far too cool for bins.

your right, because of those inspirational comments of yours, im now a reformed man!

Sweet! Now I know there's no danger of me removing one of your mirrors with a boot on the road because of a foolishly thrown ciggarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Another anti-smoking bitch rant eh?

Nope, always put em in the bin. Don't drive, try to avoid it if a passenger but when your on a 4 hour journey and you just want the quick one, and the driver doesn't want the cigerette butt in the car then I'd resort to it. I feel guilty when i do it but there's no bins on the M50. Even if they were it'd be pretty hard to get them in at 120kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

And somewhere you're tossing a cigarette butt from the window because you're somehow far too cool for bins.

Ex-smoker ;)

Non smokers really get on my nerves. First its too smokey in pubs, then they want smoking banned from peoples own cars (what right they have to suggest this baffles me), they want prices increased on cigarettes...and then they wonder why smokers don't actually give a **** about where the fag butts go???

Wagon wrote: »

Nope, always put em in the bin. Don't drive, try to avoid it if a passenger but when your on a 4 hour journey and you just want the quick one, and the driver doesn't want the cigerette butt in the car then I'd resort to it. I feel guilty when i do it but there's no bins on the M50. Even if they were it'd be pretty hard to get them in at 120kmh.

Nah it's not anti smoking. I smoke in the car all the time I just don't fuk it out the window when I'm finished. I know what you mean about the car though. Been very tempted.

• Advertisement

Ex-smoker ;)

Non smokers really get on my nerves. First its too smokey in pubs, then they want smoking banned from peoples own cars (what right they have to suggest this baffles me), they want prices increased on cigarettes...and then they wonder why smokers don't actually give a **** about where the fag butts go???

I don't smoke tobbacco but I do weed - where do you get the idea that all of us "anti tobbacco" heads care about the price, or what you do INSIDE your car? I think expensive tobbacco is insane, because people get hooked, then the government taxes the addiction, which also drives up inflation - complete folly. I also think you should be allowed to do whatever you want with tobbaco in your car, as long as it isn't interfereing with my day (which airborne cigarettes do). Most of my non-smoker mates would be the same as me. Nobody needs a nanny state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Non smokers really get on my nerves. First its too smokey in pubs, then they want smoking banned from peoples own cars (what right they have to suggest this baffles me)

I don't want smokers banned from smoking in their own cars, I just want them to stop launching their fag ends out the window.

Same as I think people who drop their chewing gum on the ground should be tarred & feathered. Doesn't mean I think the practice of chewing gum itself should be banned, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

I drive a motorbike as do many other road users, and a lot of us drive (from time to time) with an open face plate - a few times cigarettes have nearly gone into my helmet - if that was to occur, the owner of said cigarette butt would be missing a mirror off their car a few seconds later.
    so to answer your question, you would either "stink your car out" because (a) it's your filthy habit, why should the environment have to suffer (b) It could be dangerous to a biker (c) in case of something with point b, you car mirrors (or other car parts) could be forfeit depending on the biker who you hit (d) littering is illegal, throwing a butt out the window is littering, hence throwing a butt out your window is illegal.

most bikers in dublin are a danger to themselves with their reckless driving. some of them should seriously realise that they ain't valentino rossi. i imagine cigarette butts are well down the list on the dangers they face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Look at it this way. We're in a recession. People need jobs. Chucking butts out the window means the roads need to be cleaned. People are needed for these jobs and thus we're ensuring our employment situation gets back to normal.

You can spare the thanks, we know we're well appreciated.

As for taking out a biker, that's just an added bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't smoke tobbacco but I do weed - where do you get the idea that all of us "anti tobbacco" heads care about the price, or what you do INSIDE your car? I think expensive tobbacco is insane, because people get hooked, then the government taxes the addiction, which also drives up inflation - complete folly. I also think you should be allowed to do whatever you want with tobbaco in your car, as long as it isn't interfereing with my day (which airborne cigarettes do). Most of my non-smoker mates would be the same as me. Nobody needs a nanny state.

Agreed, nobody needs a nanny state the same way nobody needs do gooders telling them what they should and should not be doing.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It's not an anti-smoking bitch rant, it's an anti flicking cigarette butts out the window of your car bitch rant :) I couldn't give a toss if people want to smoke. I just don't agree with them subjecting everyone else to their litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

They'll probably end up banning smoking while driving anyway, as it probably is fairly dangerous.

i recall them trying to do that in Germany a few years ago because of all teh car accidents

hopalong85 wrote: »
    most bikers in dublin are a danger to themselves with their reckless driving. some of them should seriously realise that they ain't valentino rossi. i imagine cigarette butts are well down the list on the dangers they face.

well down the list? well clearly you realise biking is dangerous, and with the amount of dangers we face on the road, do we really NEED an extra one cause by something so stupid as a person unwilling, or simply too lazy to put their butt in an ashtray? a resounding NO is the answer. It's one thing for a person to put themself in danger by driving irresponsibly, if something happens then it is THEIR fault - but by throwing butts out the window you are endangering someone else. It's fairly simple logic really.

Nah it's not anti smoking. I smoke in the car all the time I just don't fuk it out the window when I'm finished. I know what you mean about the car though. Been very tempted.

Apologies there my friend! Also LFC fan. Just noticed your reply there.
    Ex-smoker ;)

I agree. I'd throw them in the bin because I don't litter. But the anti-smoking thing is way out of hand. If you don't like it, don't do it. That's grand. But don't go telling others they should so the same. Load of me bollocks.

Agreed, nobody needs a nanny state the same way nobody needs do gooders telling them what they should and should not be doing.

do gooders? that's ridiculous - anyone throwing a butt out of their window can directly affect me - and if something will badly affect me, I will certainly do something about it, up to and including abusing the person who carelessly endangered me. Just because your windscreen protects you in a car from such debris.. I don't have that protection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I take it you don't use bins at all then for any of your rubbish seeing as we're told to throw our rubbish in the bins? Some things we are told to do (e.g. not use condoms if you're a god fearing catholic) are ok to disregard if you make a choice to, but when it comes to actions that affect others, there is a good reason why you should do what you're told. Apart from it being common courtesy.

nobody needs do gooders telling them what they should and should not be doing.

Clearly they do if they don't even realise that littering is knackerism of the highest (or should that be lowest?) order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Sweet! Now I know there's no danger of me removing one of your mirrors with a boot on the road because of a foolishly thrown ciggarette.

ahhh you've ruined it all now by trying to come across as a internet hardman

so how many mirrors have you kicked off in real life with your size 15's ?

My 5' 2" friend who drove a crappy little MBK Ovetto pulled someone's mirror off on Bachelor's Walk for flicking a cigarette butt on her while she was passing him.

This girl is a fan of The Notebook, Desperate Housewives and chick-lit. I never thought she had it in her.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Clearly they do if they don't even realise that littering is knackerism of the highest (or should that be lowest?) order.

It's a shyte habit, I agree. But which is worse?

Someone throwing an empty Coke bottle on the ground?
    Someone tossing a cigerette butt on the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

When I was driving (get the bus now, walk or cycle) I used to do this. I used to hate doing it but really it was either that or go fumbling about for ashtray and then stub it out a million times to make sure it was out, meanwhile trying to watch the road.

In the end I got a better ashtray and stopped doing it.

I always dropped it sneaky style though, while pretending to adjust my (electronic) mirrors, rather than be so brazen as to flick it or actually throw it out the window - mainly because I always felt bad about doing it anyway.

It's a shyte habit, I agree. But which is worse?

Someone throwing an empty Coke bottle on the ground?
    Someone tossing a cigerette butt on the ground?

Tbh they're both littering. Fair enough the coke bottle's bigger but that also makes it easier to clean up.

ahhh you've ruined it all now by trying to come across as a internet hardman

Internet hardman nothing - ive only ever removed one mirror intentionally & kicked about 2 or 3 dangerous drivers cars when they nearly hit me, my boots are only size 10, but they do have a nice metal plate for scratching paintwork. Kicking a car aint hard, its EASY, because your gone so fast in traffic theres no chance of retribution! but if you think it's posing, that's fine too man, I don't mind! I was being honest about mirror removal, sometimes it's the only way :p

My 5' 2" friend who drove a crappy little MBK Ovetto pulled someone's mirror off on Bachelor's Walk for flicking a cigarette butt on her while she was passing him.

This girl is a fan of The Notebook, Desperate Housewives and chick-lit. I never thought she had it in her.

Well, your friend is a little scummy bitch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I drive a motorbike as do many other road users, and a lot of us drive (from time to time) with an open face plate - a few times cigarettes have nearly gone into my helmet - if that was to occur, the owner of said cigarette butt would be missing a mirror off their car a few seconds later.
    so to answer your question, you would either "stink your car out" because (a) it's your filthy habit, why should the environment have to suffer (b) It could be dangerous to a biker (c) in case of something with point b, you car mirrors (or other car parts) could be forfeit depending on the biker who you hit (d) littering is illegal, throwing a butt out the window is littering, hence throwing a butt out your window is illegal.

Its reasons like this I want to be a biker

Advertisement