Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Lynch's WonderWomen

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Flicked onto this last night. The part I saw was a stand up routine about Santa & Christmas which was full of jokes that Brendan Grace told in the 70's.

The audience looked like it was full of people I should recognise, but the only one I did was that chap who looks a bit like Dermot O Leary, who presents that national lottery farce with the boggly-eyed holiday presenter woman who shouts a lot.

He looked bored. I felt his pain, but at least I could abandon this crap & go off for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Watched her An Audience with Katherine Lynch sorry i mean Bernie Walsh it was funny in parts but wtf was the Cheky Girls and Michelle Tango Heaton there for :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

JP Liz wrote: »
    Watched her An Audience with Katherine Lynch sorry i mean Bernie Walsh it was funny in parts but wtf was the Cheky Girls and Michelle Tango Heaton there for :confused:

Because they couldn't be bothered to book/research worthwhile people. This is both a reflection of Independent Producers lack of ambition and RTÉs lack of investment. This and lack of developed writing are the main reasons behind RTÉ's comedy/entertainment problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

didnt see it meself. Would have liked to have seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Elmo wrote: »
    Because they couldn't be bothered to book/research worthwhile people. This is both a reflection of Independent Producers lack of ambition and RTÉs lack of investment. This and lack of developed writing are the main reasons behind RTÉ's comedy/entertainment problems.

It's hardly an indie's lack of ambition when the company behind it was only set up to promote this woman. WAKA TV is Katherine Lynch's company that she set up with her 'creative partner'. How on earth RTÉ agreed to let them exec produce the series is beyond me, stuff like this from a start up comedian should be driven by a proper team.

It was very lazy, and slightly pompus. I'm not sure who thought giving a lightweight comedy actor their own 'audience with' show was a good idea, but they seriously need to question their abilities to work in TV. Her characters for the most part worked in the context of a mockumentary, but it was cringe worthy looking at her read her autocue (badly) in character. No doubt we'll get a 6 part series out of it next year though :(

As for the lack of investment, I totally agree. It was cheap, cheap, cheap and seemed to use bits of any RTÉ set going. Filling it with half of montrose didn't help either.

Did anyone else notice the terrible laughter track that kept appearing at the start?

• Advertisement

Wheels wrote: »
    It was very lazy, and slightly pompus. I'm not sure who thought giving a lightweight comedy actor their own 'audience with' show was a good idea, but they seriously need to question their abilities to work in TV. Her characters for the most part worked in the context of a mockumentary, but it was cringe worthy looking at her read her autocue (badly) in character. No doubt we'll get a 6 part series out of it next year though :(

As for the lack of investment, I totally agree. It was cheap, cheap, cheap and seemed to use bits of any RTÉ set going. Filling it with half of montrose didn't help either.

I just want to say (and I am sure Wheels will agree with me on this) this isn't just a criticism on Katherine Lynch but on the whole workings of TV Comedy and Entertainment in RTE and their relationship with Independent Producers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Elmo wrote: »
    I just want to say (and I am sure Wheels will agree with me on this) this isn't just a criticism on Katherine Lynch but on the whole workings of TV Comedy and Entertainment in RTE and their relationship with Independent Producers.

Spot on. This show was unfortunately just another in the ongoing example of what's wrong and why the system doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Wouldnt have watched this show if i was paid, 5 minutes of the series one night by mistake was bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Wouldnt have watched this show if i was paid

Judging by the two minutes I watched of it it looked like some of the audience actually had been paid to be there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

My TV highlight over the xmas, as has been stated before on this thread, if you don't like it switch over!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Jaysus. If that was your telly highlight, then I recommend Noel's Christmas Presents on Sky.

Not for watching, to go on it next year.

When they hear what your highlight of Christmas 2008 was, you're an absolute shoo-in for a free home cinema system, a satellite dish and a few oul dvds so it doesn't happen again.

Just taking the pee. Don't freak. I personally think Katherine Lynch has the potential to be a decent comedian. She's an artist with some degree of talent who has been badly let down by the usual Rté standard of rushed piss-poor production and cursed with a writing staff who wouldn't know funny if it set fire to them in mass.

She has a decent show in her, but that Christmas thing wasn't it. Poor production values, a laugh track, Jokes actually older than some of the audience, and a poor grasp of what passes for funny do not a comedy spectacular make.

It'd be terrible to see her wasted because Rté's entertainment dept. wouldn't spend a few bob on development, and instead just threw a few videos of "Little Britain" and "Touch Me I'm Karen Taylor" at her, saying :

"We've had a meeting, and instead of wasteful research and development, we think it would be best if you just do us a mish-mash of those two, but, y'know, 'Paddy' it up a bit for the Killinaskully audience. Oh, and don't spend all that budget in the one shop, sure you wont? Colm and Jim Jim's show is coming out of whatever change you bring back. There's a good girl.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Judging by the two minutes I watched of it it looked like some of the audience actually had been paid to be there.:D

boom boom :D

My TV highlight over the xmas, as has been stated before on this thread, if you don't like it switch over!!!

Yes we do. Could people stop using this as a responce. I think a new rule should be entered into the Television Forum Rule book.

A reply with the words "if you don't like it switch over" or "have you ever hear of a remote control" or something similar will be deleted and the poster banned.
    cursed with a writing staff who wouldn't know funny if it set fire to them in mass.

Cursed with no writting staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I actually liked the Katherine Lynch Show. Particularly Sheila Sheik and Liz Hurley. Loved Liz in fact, thought the Truman Show type bit (on the boat where she meets the other Liz) in the last episode was very clever and showed where her story could go with some careful writing.

I thought the audience show was awful. Really really bad. Cringeworthy. I was very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Seen in one of the Sunday papers at weekend Kath is getting sued over the Liz Hurley lesbo skit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Overunder

I couldnt find the remote control and had to run out of the house when that unfunny woman came on the screen, I would prefer to watch Twink.... Katherine Lynch is like an amateur version of June Rogers. Now Im going to go to bed and forget all of this ever happened.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Overunder wrote: »
    I couldnt find the remote control and had to run out of the house when that unfunny woman came on the screen, I would prefer to watch Twink.... Katherine Lynch is like an amateur version of June Rogers. Now Im going to go to bed and forget all of this ever happened.....

+1. Woeful, unfunny TV.

Mind you, having said that, there's an even worse thing on one of the satellite channels - some idiot in Las Vegas or something.

So while I'd love to see and would campaign for RTE to stop making rubbish, they're not the only ones.

Of course, RTE are doing it with our license fee, so maybe there's an extra reason for them to stop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TheAuditor

Easily the worst programme RTE has ever shown, makes me glad that I don't pay my TV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

i never saw this before but watched a bit of it there the other day and thought the lass from Leitrim skit was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

TheAuditor wrote: »
    Easily the worst programme RTE has ever shown.

It's terribly written, and badly produced, I grant you, but outright worst ever shown?
    It's poorly developed, but in it's defence, I'd say its not even the worst comedy Rte has made itself, never mind the worst programme shown.

Is it really worse than "The Roaring Twenties"? Or worse than "The English Class"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TheAuditor

@2fivers - granted, this is a subjective opinion, but I sat through an episode of this for the first time in my life last week and failed to find any of it even remotely amusing. Is it therefore fair to call it a comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Not my cup of tea either but of course its fair to be called a comedy. I'm sure a lot of people find it funny.

Ah yes, another dreadful attempt at a comedy show from RTE. I don't get all the complaining, was anyone seriously expecting anything half way decent or in the least bit funny from out national broadcaster? Throw in the absolutly woeful Lynch and you have a recipe for yet another laughless and cheap production.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Contender for worst Rte show ever
    Not funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think its very funny, sheila is brilliant and you cant help but feel sorry for liz hurley

i think its very funny, sheila is brilliant and you cant help but feel sorry for liz hurley

I'm searching for the sarcasm in your post but can't seem to find it.

:eek: You're serious. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Contender for worst Rte show ever
    Not funny

Agree 100%! Saw it for 1st time tonight!! Its terrible stuff, was cringing at most of it. How does it pass for comedy :confused:

And when she was the "proud Leitrim girl" on her boat, they had the wrong coloured flag at the front!
    Leitrim flag is green & yellow, & they had a green & white flag on her "Leitrim" boat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

Another Awful Irish Show
    :mad::mad::mad:
    why do we have to pay for a TV licence for this [EMAIL="F@(:@~g"]F?(:~~g[/EMAIL] [EMAIL="S@~t"]S@~t[/EMAIL]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Stevecw wrote: »
    Agree 100%! Saw it for 1st time tonight!! Its terrible stuff, was cringing at most of it. How does it pass for comedy :confused:

And when she was the "proud Leitrim girl" on her boat, they had the wrong coloured flag at the front!
    Leitrim flag is green & yellow, & they had a green & white flag on her "Leitrim" boat :rolleyes:

katherine lynch is from leitrim , i actually like the show , shes the funniest female comedian in ireland but then again shes the only female comedian in ireland

• Advertisement

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    katherine lynch is from leitrim , i actually like the show , shes the funniest female comedian in ireland but then again shes the only female comedian in ireland

We had a big thread a while back about how unfunny female comedians are. There are several other female comedians in Ireland. I didn't think much of either this or the Xmas special. (The Xmas Special being particularly bad).

Advertisement