Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

This CoOp report is doing my head in, made all the worse by the fact they probably won't read it.. after writing some amount of ****e now.. :P
    Fortunately don't have infamous eloping couples distracting me... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This CoOp report is doing my head in, made all the worse by the fact they probably won't read it.. after writing some amount of ****e now.. :P
    Fortunately don't have infamous eloping couples distracting me... :P

CoOp reports are the biggest load of crap you'll ever write.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

sup_dude wrote: »
    They've actually left now. It's the group of three sitting across from me that have piped up, talking like they're still in the pub they're discussing. Would go to security but they only talk in intervals so they'll have stopped for a while when security get here.

Also, where are all the books?! Why have they changed everything around and not bothered telling anyone where to find anything? I can't find half the books I need anymore whereas before the holidays I could have told you the exact position of some of them...

This lit review writing is going horribly.

EDIT: Okay, I take it back. The talking was relatively okay. The cuddling and giggling and hair stroking though... It's the library ffs, control yourself! And now as I'm typing they're singing "Like a Virgin" to each other

SECOND EDIT: They've started shifting. In the library. They're actually sitting at the desk, shifting. And talking really loudly in between shifting. I don't like public displays of affection at the best of times. This is disgusting. The last thing you want to here is "take me now" when in the library. I'm actually at a complete loss as to what to do. My earphones don't go up loud enough to drown them out without damaging my hearing. I've so much work to do so can't leave but can't concentrate when that's in front of me.

A group of three. That's some eiffel tower sh1t.

Jester252 wrote: »
    A group of three. That's some eiffel tower sh1t.

It's a couple and some random friend :P The random friend joins in with the chatting, the couple do all the vomit worthy stuff. Although, today there's a whole army of them who've spread across the top floor like bacteria in agar.

It's a couple and some random friend :P The random friend joins in with the chatting, the couple do all the vomit worthy stuff. Although, today there's a whole army of them who've spread across the top floor like bacteria in agar.

3rd wheel or is he/she chancing their arm... :P

Like the reference, beautifully accurate. Never knew how filthy my money was until that first year experiment... :P

• Advertisement

3rd wheel or is he/she chancing their arm... :P

Like the reference, beautifully accurate. Never knew how filthy my money was until that first year experiment... :P

3rd wheel, I would say. Came better prepared today though, I'd say there's about 9 or 10 wheels now. Not sure because they're not sitting together. A random person would just pop over for a chat every so often.

Coins are horrible! So much filth! Unfortunately, it's necessary, especially that week or two before the next grant installment comes in. Just have to pretend that experiment never happen and that every single person who has touched the coins before me were hygenic and sterile people.

3rd wheel, I would say. Came better prepared today though, I'd say there's about 9 or 10 wheels now. Not sure because they're not sitting together. A random person would just pop over for a chat every so often.

Coins are horrible! So much filth! Unfortunately, it's necessary, especially that week or two before the next grant installment comes in. Just have to pretend that experiment never happen and that every single person who has touched the coins before me were hygenic and sterile people.

Dire situation anyway, especially when you're stuck doing FYP over hols :S
    I personally, request all my coins to be 2014/2015 when I'm asking for change, wait to see if they have enough, if not, round it up to the nearest clean looking note.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Well how was everyone's first day back!? *Pinches cheeks* (FACE cheeks!):pac:
    God, I'd forgotten over the Christmas just how much I hate the library in UL. I could barely manage to stay there for 5 minutes before I wanted to scream and run out of there. I've spent so much time in the library in my last four years in UL that it has become an awful part of my life.:pac: Since watching Parks and Recreation I can here all the library quotes in my head when I walk in there!

"Are you even listening to yourself?! You’re defending the library now?! Ron, the library. Of all the horrifying, miserable things in the world." -Leslie

"The library is the worst group of people ever assembled in history. They’re mean, conniving, rude, and extremely well read, which makes them very dangerous" -Leslie

"I can’t believe what I’m hearing: ‘some people like libraries’" -Leslie

It's funny how my brother said the other day how he would love to go back to college and I can't wait to finish. University gives me a headache! I have zero idea of what I'm going to do, but I can't wait to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Student portal not working all afternoon. Good week to be that way...

Edit : it's just verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Does it take a certain length of time for new modules to come up on sulis after you register them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Pretty sure that the lecturers add you onto the list of modules that you're registered for so you could be waiting till the end of the week for some of them.

• Company Representative Posts: 5 Verified rep ULlibrary

Just in relation to your question, "where are all the books" . . .

We had to move some book stock around this month, to make more study space and to facilitate growth in collections - it was incredibly tight to shelve the stock the way the shelves were before Christmas.

So we use the inter-semester break for these types of moves, we KNOW everyone isn't off or at home but it is a quieter period and we target these periods for significant moves.

To the second part of your question, regarding notification, we have temporary signage in the old and new locations and our blog (can't post URL, link is on library website, called 'Library Blog') details all the moves .

It is a bit disconcerting when you knew where everything was and to come back and find it all moved but hopefully the signage and the descriptions on the blog will help you find what you need.

Let us know if you still can't find something.

UL Library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

The results being delayed has gotten a lot more worrying since lectures started. Loads of reading to do for modules that are related to modules from last semester that I've no idea where I stand grade wise in.

Oh my God, I had a lecture in the room in the main building C1063 and God thought I was going to faint! Why is that room always so stuffy? I have a 3hr lecture in that room though thankfully for today she stopped after an hour! To make matters worse a girl sat beside with with a jug of coffee which is one smell I absolutely detest. :pac: I have a stupid exam for that module worth 50% too! Who has an exam for an English module!? I only ever had one once and that was in first year! Also the reading room is blocked off! No! Semester two has not started well!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Oh my God, I had a lecture in the room in the main building C1063 and God thought I was going to faint! Why is that room always so stuffy? I have a 3hr lecture in that room though thankfully for today she stopped after an hour! To make matters worse a girl sat beside with with a jug of coffee which is one smell I absolutely detest. :pac: I have a stupid exam for that module worth 50% too! Who has an exam for an English module!? I only ever had one once and that was in first year! Also the reading room is blocked off! No! Semester two has not started well!:pac:

Feminist Theory by any chance? Perhaps not but there is a 50% exam for that one too.

And a 40% one for British Lit..

All English modules for 4th year are b*ll*cks, think I'll change to another one :/

Aragneer wrote: »
    Feminist Theory by any chance? Perhaps not but there is a 50% exam for that one too.

And a 40% one for British Lit..

All English modules for 4th year are b*ll*cks, think I'll change to another one :/

Yup! Ah feck seriously? I was going to opt for that if it didn't have an exam even though I was told to stay away from any module that Patricia Moran was doing as she's supposed to be an extremely hard marker! Yeah they really are! I wonder what post-colonial literature is like assessment wise? You'd think they'd give us decent modules for our last semester.

Yup! Ah feck seriously? I was going to opt for that if it didn't have an exam even though I was told to stay away from any module that Patricia Moran was doing as she's supposed to be an extremely hard marker! Yeah they really are! I wonder what post-colonial literature is like assessment wise? You'd think they'd give us decent modules for our last semester.

She is! She posted our grading system and 60 is an F!! How do they expect any of us to pass? Most people I know glide by with 60's since they are usually B's.

My friend told me post-colonial is 2 essays, presentation and attendance. There are 6-7 novels and then short stories. Not too bad and Jack Fennell is teaching it, who I love!

This last semester is already terrible and it is Day 2 of Week 1!

I was looking at doing Contemporary Irish Literature..I reckon that will be essay, presentation, attendance!

She is! She posted our grading system and 60 is an F!! How do they expect any of us to pass? Most people I know glide by with 60's since they are usually B's.

My friend told me post-colonial is 2 essays, presentation and attendance. There are 6-7 novels and then short stories. Not too bad and Jack Fennell is teaching it, who I love!

This last semester is already terrible and it is Day 2 of Week 1!

I was looking at doing Contemporary Irish Literature..I reckon that will be essay, presentation, attendance!

Post-colonial sounds way better! Might opt for that over feminist theory then! Yeah, contemporary Irish lit seems grand I'd say! Hopefully the presentation would be a group one!

Feminist theory was really interesting though, but is it worth it to have to do a 50% exam?

Post-colonial literature is two essays and a presentation but the presentation is a group presentation. Definitely switching from British Lit but can't decide which one to go for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

When is the gym not wedged :P

The library is so lovely and quiet and lovely. And it's raining. Love being by the window when it's quiet and raining!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Feminist theory was really interesting though, but is it worth it to have to do a 50% exam?

I did that last year. 2 essays was all! Was a very easy module. Might be why I never went.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Stupid top floor lab in CSIS :( It's even colder than normal and I'm by a radiator.

Anyone added to SULIS yet? I have a presentation very very soon and still not added to SULIS!

Why do some modules have group presentations in fourth year? I hate group presentations!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Why do some modules have group presentations in fourth year? I hate group presentations!

So that the lecturer only has to grade quarter of the number of presentations you learn the valuable skill of hating everyone teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Stupid top floor lab in CSIS :( It's even colder than normal and I'm by a radiator.

That doesn't improve. I was right by a window last year and I ended up bringing in a smaller heater with me!

Contemporary Irish Lit? Seminar Leadership?

Group presentations are cruel in 4th year.. one person always leads and it just sucks..

Who are you..I bet I know you from somewhere! :P

Creepy boardsies!

• Advertisement

Contemporary Irish Lit? Seminar Leadership?

Group presentations are cruel in 4th year.. one person always leads and it just sucks..

Who are you..I bet I know you from somewhere! :P

Creepy boardsies!
    If I told you, I'd have to kill you!;)

Advertisement