Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    at 5am.
    Best time to do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Sent the following email to the SU President:
    I am writing to you to express my concerns about the ongoing abuse of the student-mail / year list system.
    As well as seemingly never ending emails from post grad students with links to surveys, on Friday 29/06 an email was sent by Donna.Cregan@ul.ie ( a member of staff ? ) advertising a house for rental. The phone number in the ad was incorrect, and the email was immediately follow by another with the corrected number. I am on co-op at the moment and am trying to keep an eye on my emails at work as the Formula Student (on-going college project ) deadline is fast approaching and communications are being sent to member via outlook. The post-grad surveys are extremely irritating to say the least, and have on more than one occasion buried themselves in among import emails, however I know what it's like to have to do market research / surveys so I'm prepared to grin and bear it.
    I see advertising a commercial rental like this as a blatant lack of respect of students, the university itself, and the intention of the email system by the sender of the email. I have been on boards.ie (Thanks - it's where i found this address! ) and it is clear I'm not the only one infuriated by the email.
    I feel an example should be made of the guilty party. As I'm sure you are aware, the student body as a whole is quickly losing confidence in the SU and it's things like this that remind us who you are and what you do, and affect each and every one of us on a daily basis.
    Every one of my friends and co-students swear when they open their email and see another batch of surveys and junk mail ready for deletion. Anyone who uses the email system will remember this infraction and I am confident that if the culprit and his/her disciplinary action / apology were to be publicized, named-and-shamed as it were, the student body would most certainly remember it. This would also serve as a stark reminder to other members of staff what abuse of the email system can lead to.

Aaaand still felt like a rant after it so I sent this to Donna:
    Donna,
    I was quite frankly disgusted by your email below. This system is intended for communication between the college and the students, or between students. Sending a commercial advertisement like this to the entire student body is showing complete and utter lack of respect for both us the students, and the university itself. I have already written a letter of complaint to the SU President to this effect.

Yours sincerely,
    Kealan O' Carroll

\rant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Do you think she will send an email to all students to say sorry for the other all students emails

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Thanks to each of you that emailed me. Your complaints were passed on to the Director of ITD, Peter Brady, who is taking the matter seriously as it is in contravention of the code of conduct they sign up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Made an example of?

Do you want her flayed in the courtyard? This isnt game of thrones.

I think you need to add some sugar to your cup of get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lkionm wrote: »
    Made an example of?

Do you want her flayed in the courtyard? This isnt game of thrones.

I think you need to add some sugar to your cup of get over yourself.
    Hey Donna, didn't know you were on boards.

Thanks for the email, I couldn't find that website that helps people find houses to rent. you know, the one that's a sister site of boards. but its great that UL emails has super relevant stuff, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You think student mail is bad...try the staff system...

Anyone driving to Dublin today willing to bring a package?
    House for rent in Zimbabwe
    Great rates at University Arena!
    Free chair to take away
    Where can I buy a cheap washing machine (That person sent another mail when they bought the appliance recommending the store she used)

It goes on...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Free chair to take away
    Where can I buy a cheap washing machine (That person sent another mail when they bought the appliance recommending the store she used)

It goes on...

Any more info on said chair?

Can't resist a freebie... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Any more info on said chair?

Can't resist a freebie... :pac:
    next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

*skips queue*

• Advertisement

I pay a euro to get it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    I pay a euro to get it

Says the guy who wanted it for free

lkionm wrote: »
    Made an example of?

Do you want her flayed in the courtyard?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Free chair to take away

It goes on...

Their usually on the For Sale or Wanted mailing list. Which is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

FFS it's only an e-mail, no need to have a hissey fit about it or lose sleep over it. Just delete it and move on, why are ye looking at yer student e-mails anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

FFS it's only an e-mail, no need to have a hissey fit about it or lose sleep over it. Just delete it and move on, why are ye looking at yer student e-mails anyway?

Some people have their student email linked in with their personal email for ease of access.

And its not just one email..its a continued of stupid spam emails with a while.

To send emails to different people in the college? Somehow I don't think SAA would respond to [email]r00n3y43va[at]hotmail.com[/email].....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nicodemus93

Most annoying people in UL

Paddy Rocket
    Chawkey from the stables
    The security gaurd in the library who constantly says quite please

Paddy Rocket
    Chawkey from the stables

You forgot people who talk in the library, Leaving Cert students and people who abuse the email system. :pac:

• Advertisement

Paddy Rocket
    Chawkey from the stables

The guys from the stables are cool out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Not all of them, and I'll say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Great bunch of lads, have always looked after me when I've been in there for work with hordes of teenagers or switching over to rugby (even obscure games back in the Celtic League days).

So its okay to fill our inboxes with spammy sh!t because its not during term ?
    Whats your plan....delete absolutely everything when you sign in next ?
    I'm going to England next week along with 20-ish other UL Students & Staff, flights etc are all being organised through student mail...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I'm going to England next week along with 20-ish other UL Students & Staff, flights etc are all being organised through student mail...

I'd hate to see how ye react when real problems come yer way!

I hate to be the one in charge

I'd hate to see how ye react when real problems come yer way!

Okay so now you've abandoned the debate and you're just talking sh!te...

Donna is in breach of her contract, at the inconvenience of the students who pay her salary.
    The 'powers that be' have been made aware of the above.
    Problem solved.

So yeah, that's how I react to a problem that irritates me and thousands of others day in - day out: take 10 minutes of my day to send an email that solves the problem.

Gotta give thanks to Adam replying to the email I send into about the junk. I almost banging my head off a wall when I saw it in my inbox

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Foxytrot

FYI most of the mailing lists in UL are optional.

If people find it such a hassle to delete an email that comes in that they aren't interested in then just go unsuscribe to the mailing lists?

• Advertisement

Gotta give thanks to Adam replying to the email I send into about the junk. I almost banging my head off a wall when I saw it in my inbox

+1 on this.

Advertisement