Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Please Read] Bargain Alert Tags - suggestions / feedback required?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

I'd have to agree with other comments here... the tags you've added are badly coloured and distracting.

I can read the topic titles to see whether a thread relates to electricals or clothes or small albino hedgehogs.

The only useful function of tags would be if you could SORT the forum by tag (EDIT: different to searching for a tag, I just want a one-click-on-the-column-header solution to group all similar threads together), grouping the electrical threads together so you could scan a group of threads more easily.

EDIT 2: I can see what someone might say to this idea - it won't work in practice, you'd end up with all the ELEC threads and you'd have to scroll through hundreds to get to the next topic. So perhaps what I'm getting at is having a list of tags along the top of the screen and the ability to click on one to do a "quick search" for that tag and display the most recent at the top. That way you could view the forum as normal, click on a tag to hide all other tags, then click your back button and click on another tag, etc. It's different to doing a manual search for that tag - don't make me click search, click more options, then click "go"... make it simple so I can just click a tag to hide all others. Geddit?

I know, I'm babbling, sorry!

Just my 2c (now also roughly equivalent to 2p :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

70% of respondents are against them, yet you still keep them.

what problem are you trying to fix? adding functionality for the sake of it is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

subway wrote: »

what problem are you trying to fix? adding functionality for the sake of it is pointless.

Just thinking the exact same thing myself when I read your post. Is it ONLY 70%? Seems like more reading it!
    This is coming across as "someone had an idea that seemed good to them and they now don't want to abandon it"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No need for them except the Expired tag. Distracting and pointless, adds nothing to the useability of the site.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

sure they can do what they want with their site, we are only guests here - thats how i feel on other items.
    (but i like this feature :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

subway wrote: »

It seems like Fianna Fáil now controls Bargain Alerts.

"Yeah we hear what you're telling us but........"

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Sorry but I'm against the tags too. Seems like a good idea but in practice it's unnecessary, cluttered and clunky - especially in the email digest where you get sent all the threads anyway! Keep the "Expired" tag yes and (auto?-)add the posting date e.g "1/4/8 50% off everything at Blah-de-blah Ltd"

Would also really like to see a cleaner html version of the digest btw. At present there are six lines for each thread, e.g....
    smithfield on ice
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055446913
    In forum: Bargain Alerts [Requests]
    Started by: pissed
    Last post: 23-12-2008 11:32
    How about replacing these six lines with a much cleaner simple one line hyperlink direct to the thread, e.g.... Oh and how about linking to the last page of the thread instead of the first?

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Sorry I don't like the tags, in fact I hate them. Somewhat scared of posting in Bargain Alerts now. Alerts are spontaneous and are meant to be organised. Please remove them and please remove the requests thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just thinking the exact same thing myself when I read your post. Is it ONLY 70%? Seems like more reading it!
    This is coming across as "someone had an idea that seemed good to them and they now don't want to abandon it"
    Could be a case where some earlier posters got their comments in before the poll and so didn't vote in it. Happened me, but have voted now :)

Random wrote: »
    Could be a case where some earlier posters got their comments in before the poll and so didn't vote in it. Happened me, but have voted now :)

Same here - didn't even look for the poll until you reminded me!
    voted now.

• Advertisement

Can we consider the poll over by now? And get rid of those blasted tags? (except expired) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I too consider the poll closed and no that is not podgeandridge's hand up me jacksie.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's great to see my AMAZING idea for shortened tags get implemented (lolz). I suggested these because the full length tags were just making it very difficult to sift through a lot of the rubbish posted on this forum and find an actual bargain.

I still think the tags make it too difficult and the colours don't help at all. I think having icons would be a fantastic feature. They wouldn't stretch the title very much and can easily be ignored. Maybe having these icons appear could be opt in/opt out also?

<3 giving CuLT work to do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭positron

Just voted No, and here's my reason.

Redundancy - 'Subject' if used properly should conveys the same information and more. I don't filter bargain alerts by type / category to have that specific bit in the subject line.

However, EXPIRED or STOP/FAKE etc are okay - as they are conveying important information, usually about the latest status of the bargain.

Just my thoughts..!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i like the new colouring of the tags too. Makes it easier to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The tags are distracting, also it's another thing to do when you're posting. Its hard enough already copying and pasting in links etc.... so it slows down more. Maybe it would be easier and faster if the tags could be buttons you click rather than selecting from a drop down list. Another solution would be when you click the New Thread button in Bargain Alerts, you could have a range of categories to select from, click one, then continue your post as normal. That would be quicker and less fiddly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

/COLOR][COLOR="SeaGreen"]r[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]n[/COLOR][COLOR="PaleGreen"]t[/COLOR][COLOR="DimGray" Can we have these coloured tags on all the forums on boards.ie, since they are so good?
    This should be done so that users will realise how ridiculous they are.

snubbleste wrote: »
    /COLOR][COLOR="SeaGreen"]r[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]n[/COLOR][COLOR="PaleGreen"]t[/COLOR][COLOR="DimGray" Can we have these coloured tags on all the forums on boards.ie, since they are so good?

+1

snubbleste wrote: »

That's a great idea. And we could use "Sub Tags" to further elaborate on the type of tag we are using. :D

/COLOR][COLOR="SeaGreen"]r[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]a[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]n[/COLOR][COLOR="PaleGreen"]t[/COLOR][COLOR="DimGray"

/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]T[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]A[/COLOR][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]G[/COLOR][COLOR="PaleGreen"]S[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"

i presume that the mods and admins are away for christmas and will remove these things when thye get back.
    otherwise theyve done a great job of implementing something that the users dont want, then wasting a lot of our time by asking for feedback that they werent planning on taking onboard at any point.

• Advertisement

impression attached.

I suggest everyone starts upgrading to 24in wide screen.

samhail wrote: »
    impression attached.

I suggest everyone starts upgrading to 24in wide screen.

Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Don't see the point tbh. What the thread is about is perfectly clear from the thread title, a supplemental tag is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Any news with regards changing this back etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Myself, Ruu and CuLT will chat it about it shortly.

any news on this?
    it didnt take very long to implement them or make the various changes over the past few weeks.

why not switch them off for a few days and see if anyone complains that they are gone?

any news?

:pac:

Methinks this is going to be treated like Lisbon. They don't like our first result so we will be asked to vote again. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Shit or get off the pot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you could include a button that will get a version of the thread for printing, I've seen this option on a different forum and thought it was a good idea. If there are let's say for example 16 pages on one thread, instead of going through each page, if you would click the printing version button you would get a new window with the whole thread, just ready for printing....it would be easier for finding stuff in the thread as well; search might prove a little bit difficult if going through each individual page in the thread.

Anyway this could apply to all threads in the boards, I just wanted to let you know about that.

Thanks,
    Magic

Edit: I wanted to post something in the Zavvi thread and thought to do a search to see if it's been already posted...but I don't have time to go through every page and that's why if there would have been a printing version available I could have searched for that particular thing in no time at all...

Edit again: Just found the printable version...it looks ok, although you can only have 40 posts on one page...it's still better than nothing...Thanks

Advertisement