Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Please Read] Bargain Alert Tags - suggestions / feedback required?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

As you may now notice when you post a thread in the 'Bargain Alert' forum, you can prefix them with a tag depending on the category the particular bargain relates to.

The categories, and some suggested items they may apply to, include:
    • Entertainment - for CD's / DVD's / Books etc.
    • Home - for any homeware items - shelfing units, furniture etc.
    • Travel - for travel-related such as flights, holidays, train, bus, ferry etc.
    • Clothing - speaks for itself really. Any clothing items / sales in stores.
    • Finance - any bargains related to banks / credit cards etc.
    • Kids - could be toys, kids books or clothing
    • Computers - computer hardware and software etc.
    • General Deals - anything non-specific to other categories
    • Mobiles - for specials on phones, or the operators having new offers
    • Electricals - spotted any good deals on TV's etc.?
    • Groceries - spotted some Haribo for cheap in Tesco etc.?! :D
    • Nonsense - anything a bit silly. Prime example!

You can now filter by tag in the search box at the head of a forum so if you're only interested in Entertainment related deals, you can choose to only view them.

We would encourage you to use the tags when posting a Bargain Alert (EDIT: Apologies.. just after getting notified by CuLT that only the mods can apply tags for the time being, but that may change in the near future depending on how well it's recieved and utilised).

I'll leave this thread open as both myself, Ruu and CuLT would like some feedback and suggestions such as:
    • are there any categories we should add in? Is there any we should weed out?
    • should be get rid of the Expired tag, and just lock the thread instead? Or should it leave it as it is for feedback on a product (i.e discussion of the product / recommendations etc) in an 'Expired' thread.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.. it's always appreciated. And many thanks to CuLT for adding in this nifty little feature

What do you think of the tags? 39 votes

Like them (please comment on why you like them on thread).
    0% 0 votes
    Don't like them (please comment on why you don't like them on thread).
    100% 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The different colours are wrecking my head. Try having them all the same colour maybe? Or using darker colours. (I'm using the standard theme).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Although extremely useful for searching and the occasional user, will there be an option to hide them as they clutter the topic titles a bit and can make them hard to read for members who like to drop by regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah I think the colours are a bit light. They just kind of fade into the light background and are difficult to read. Also I think marking threads as expired is better than locking them as it allows for discussion of the product afterwards which is a good resource if you are looking to buy the same product.

Good job so far on the improvements!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Random wrote: »
    The different colours are wrecking my head. Try having them all the same colour maybe? Or using darker colours. (I'm using the standard theme).

+1

It's a good idea, but the implementation is very distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

+1

Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I don't like the colours at all.

I like having "Expired" added to posts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Leave the expired tag, locking a thread prevents updates on the product. Eg. issues about delivery/someone spots it cheaper elsewhere etc. Not crazy about multi-coloured tags to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. having added a couple of tags to existing threads, the colours are a bit off. Have asked CuLT to remove all colour formatting from tags.

But to put the tag in bold and / or square brackets. Like so:

[Entertainment] Shameless Seasons 1 - 5 for €40 - Zavvi

EDIT: Seems CuLT has implemented my suggestion already. Better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Making them all the same indent size would help, so all the titles would line up regardless of what tag it was
    ..............Kids: thread here
    Entertainment: thread here

I would like the 'expired'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm not sure I'm keen on having any tags other than "Expired" really ... but am interested to see what else yourself and cult can come up with in terms of color / format for the ones you seem to have implemented now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah the bold and square brackets work better I think. They look really good on the cloud skin. The white tag works well with the black background but separates it nicely from the thread title. Kudos, CuLT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Not a big fan myself, what it is should be apparent from the thread title anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The thread titles now looks really cluttered. You can generally see what category the post falls under from the thread title.

Anyway of making the tags invisible?

I think it's mainly for filtering. If I'm looking for a new laptop or whatever I can just filter the thread based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

My eyes, they burn.

I'm perfectly capable of reading a title and determining if it's interesting without the need to add an extra, differently coloured word thankyouverymuch.

I'm all for the filtering though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

dont like the tags ...too big... too distracting

do we really need them isnt the very essence of bargain hunting to just stumble upon them

why categorise?

if you have to go this route how about small icons?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Nice idea, but small icons like beolight might be easier on the eye.

If the text tags remain, any chance of the font weight matching the thread title? All the [Bold Tags] make me think there's a load of new threads when there's really only 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's a brilliant idea but tbh it's stretching the thread titles too much and makes things look a little messy. Would it be possible to shorten everything to 3 or 4 letter? For example:

Entertainment - Ent
    Finance - Fnc
    Kids - Kids
    Computers - Comp
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mcgovern wrote: »
    Not a big fan myself, what it is should be apparent from the thread title anyway.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    The thread titles now looks really cluttered. You can generally see what category the post falls under from the thread title.

Anyway of making the tags invisible?
    Onikage wrote: »
    My eyes, they burn.

I'm perfectly capable of reading a title and determining if it's interesting without the need to add an extra, differently coloured word thankyouverymuch.

I'm all for the filtering though.

I'm inclined to agree with these posters and the others who have mentioned it. While they'll be great for filtering they just make the forum look very messy now and somewhat difficult to read.

It was easier to read what the post was about but these are akward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

If it's not broke....

By the by. I'm still not happy with the bargain request departure. Some of the best bargains were to be found by everyone throwing in their 2 cents worth and remebering bargains long fortgotten. This has gone right down since you created the request sub forum.

Thanks for all your hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

I'm inclined to agree with these posters and the others who have mentioned it. While they'll be great for filtering they just make the forum look very messy now and somewhat difficult to read.

It was easier to read what the post was about but these are akward.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I think its a good idea and looks great when using the cloud theme. They stand out really well and I definetly done thing they make it look cluttered or make the thread title names really long. Its only an extra word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

Grawns wrote: »
    If it's not broke....

By the by. I'm still not happy with the bargain request departure. Some of the best bargains were to be found by everyone throwing in their 2 cents worth and remebering bargains long fortgotten. This has gone right down since you created the request sub forum.

Thanks for all your hard work.

+1. Personally, I don't bother readind requests too often, whereas if the request is in the middle of alerts, I'll add my 2cents worth, if I have anything to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Could you put an option in the User CP so that individual users can decide to turn the tags on/off in the same way they can decide to have email notification of a reply to a post or thread they posted in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Could you put an option in the User CP so that individual users can decide to turn the tags on/off in the same way they can decide to have email notification of a reply to a post or thread they posted in?

+1

I appreciate what is being done with the tags, but I don't particularly care for them. An option to turn them on/off would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Its a really good idea, but the colouring and moreso indentation make reading difficult.
    Perhaps standard-sized images (posticon size, like used on SA of 200px wide) would work better. Easy to scroll down, everything is at the same indentation, and you can quickly pick out what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

Onikage wrote: »
    My eyes, they burn.

*nods head in agreement*.Scrolling quickly through the threads hunting for bargains was easy and a bit of fun.The bold headings are a bit of a distraction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

[Get rid of the tags please] Are the tags staying or going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's not very easy on the eye. Makes a choar of the forum me thinks.:(

Advertisement