Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Your Marks ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

shels4ever wrote: »
    Best of luck on sunday, i'll prob be around the 5-6 k mark to give you a shout... are you going out at sub 45 pace?

Thanks Shels I will look out for you. Not going to go out at the sub 45 pace as I am not there yet and I would prefer PB for confidence as I didn't a few weeks ago. That means on Sunday going faster than 48:54 on a tougher course. i would be happy to see a 47 when I get to the finish ;)

I think the Intel race will be my target for sub-45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

stmochtas wrote: »
    Thanks Shels I will look out for you. Not going to go out at the sub 45 pace as I am not there yet and I would prefer PB for confidence as I didn't a few weeks ago. That means on Sunday going faster than 48:54 on a tougher course. i would be happy to see a 47 when I get to the finish ;)

I think the Intel race will be my target for sub-45.
    All going well with recovery after Belfast i should be in 45's form for intel myself. Was actually playing with the idea of a 43'30 time around then but will see how things go.

All going well with recovery after Belfast i should be in 45's form for intel myself. Was actually playing with the idea of a 43'30 time around then but will see how things go.

Its a good bit off so we would well be getting there by then. My next big goal race will be RTE and I think I will just run the Kepak 8 mile to stay in touch in the BHAA leagues. I won't treat the 8 miler as a goal race though as I want to do 4 hard weeks of work after Bupa.

Its a good bit off so we would well be getting there by then. My next big goal race will be RTE and I think I will just run the Kepak 8 mile to stay in touch in the BHAA leagues. I won't treat the 8 miler as a goal race though as I want to do 4 hard weeks of work after Bupa.

Sounds like a good plan, i'll prob run the 8 mile race and see how that goes, I wont feature in the leagues this season :(.

The last 2 days were consecutive easy runs of 40 mins and 30 mins. As I get ready for Sunday. Tomorrow was supposed to be a rest day but instead I am going to rest on Saturday and do 6 * 1 min fast then slow tomorrow.

Looking forward to the race and fingers crossed this glorious weather will hold. :D

• Advertisement

Day 5 is usually a Rest day but because the race is on Sunday I moved my rest to Saturday. Also give me an opportunity to spend some time with my neglected OH. (And maybe watch the mighty Spurs on TV too :rolleyes:)

Todays Session:

Session details:

Warm up 2k in 13:07 (avg hr 143)
    6 * 1min fast/slow (2.06k) (avg 159)
    Cool down 2k n 13:12 (avg hr 138)

Got a Blister on my left foot :( which has got a bit messy. Sore and red now but hopefully wont impact me too much by Sunday. Covered in a Compeed at the moment and I bought some new 1000 mile socks for race day.

Woke on Sunday with very fresh legs and felt good about today's run. Jogged the 2k from my house to the park to meet a few friends who were also taking part. I was shocked to see the crowds as I had never run this 10k before. We lined up in the 45-55 pen somewhere in the middle (note to self go further up the next time as there were people walking in this pen. After a bit of delayed start we were off and it was every man for himself. The first 3k were very much about picking your way through the crowd, mentally I was telling myself not to go too mad until the 3k mark. Hit 5k at just over 23 mins and was feeling comfortable as I turned into the hills. I skipped the water stop as I felt I had enough fluids on board and maybe even a bit too much as my bladder felt a little full.
    Now for the hills they were tough and one of my buddies started to pull away, I stuck with him for as long as possible but he just had the edge this time. The last hill out of the glen was a real killer for me and I need to do a bit more endurance work. The run to finsh was grand but there was nothing there to run my planned fast last km.

I finished in 47:30 which gives me a new PB and gets me closer to the sub-45 goal. Delighted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

congrats on a great PB

2 mile recovery today. Nothing to add except legs have recovered well.

Woke on Sunday with very fresh legs and felt good about today's run. Jogged the 2k from my house to the park to meet a few friends who were also taking part. I was shocked to see the crowds as I had never run this 10k before. We lined up in the 45-55 pen somewhere in the middle (note to self go further up the next time as there were people walking in this pen. After a bit of delayed start we were off and it was every man for himself. The first 3k were very much about picking your way through the crowd, mentally I was telling myself not to go too mad until the 3k mark. Hit 5k at just over 23 mins and was feeling comfortable as I turned into the hills. I skipped the water stop as I felt I had enough fluids on board and maybe even a bit too much as my bladder felt a little full.
    Now for the hills they were tough and one of my buddies started to pull away, I stuck with him for as long as possible but he just had the edge this time. The last hill out of the glen was a real killer for me and I need to do a bit more endurance work. The run to finsh was grand but there was nothing there to run my planned fast last km.

I finished in 47:30 which gives me a new PB and gets me closer to the sub-45 goal. Delighted. :D

Well done on the Pb, hard enough course too so you should be able to take some more time of that.. its 7 mins faster then my 10k pb :D

• Advertisement

Thank Shels. I would think if you were running it though your PB would have been smashed ;). Also I notice you have moved to the "other" team on BHAA new site. The old IT3 team has been diminished.

Thank Shels. I would think if you were running it though your PB would have been smashed ;). Also I notice you have moved to the "other" team on BHAA new site. The old IT3 team has been diminished.

Yep will look for a 10 min improvment actually...At this rate I should be a shoo in for 2012....

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

well done,a great time on a hard course.

lukeeman wrote: »
    well done,a great time on a hard course.

Thanks lukeeman I hope there is better to come ;-)

Wow! I have been ignoring the log so here is an update of the last few days. Still on a high about my 10k time. I know it is nothing major but it is a step in the right direction.

Day 1 70min easy running
    Day 2 30min easy running

Day 3 2k Rep session
    1 Mile warm up
    Length|Duration|Start Hr|Avg Hr|Max Hr|Rest
    2k|9:04|112|173|183|2 min
    2k|9:19|129|179|187|2 min
    2k|9:18|133|175|184|2 min
    2k|9:22|131|178|185|2 min

1 Mile cool down

In terms of wind and hills reps 2 and 4 were the toughest.

Day 4: Rest

Meeting up with a few boardsies to climb knocknarea tomorrow. :D

Met up with a group planning to do the Warriors run in Sligo this year to get a preview of the new route that is in the planning. T_Runner provided us with some good advice and training tips a long the way. We set off in small groups and ran up and down the proposed trail. It was tough going and sometimes hands became useful :eek:

It was great to meet up with the group and we used a stop start approach so no one like me got left behind.

Below is a link to the motionbased summary of this activity. Looks like we climbed to over a 1055 sq ft. at the top.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=258575&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=7974447

Total distance: 5k

8 miles easy. Not much more to add really. I think I am going to attempt the BHAA 8 miler in the middle of a training cycle. Not a goal race but I want to get some points on the board for the summer league.

8 miles easy. Not much more to add really. I think I am going to attempt the BHAA 8 miler in the middle of a training cycle. Not a goal race but I want to get some points on the board for the summer league.

Might see you at the 8 miler next week depends on how my week goes thinking of givint this a go.

Might see you at the 8 miler next week depends on how my week goes thinking of givint this a go.

Hopefully see you there Shels. Distance might be a bit long for me at the moment but will give it a bash. RTE 5 mile is my main race this month and I only have to break 39 for a PB :D

Hit the track for a session of 1ks today. I reduced my rest period by 10 secs to 80secs today and will keep it at this until I can keep all 6 reps below 4:20.
    My target for this session is to get the rest period down to 60 secs.

1k warm up/ 2k cool down
    1k|4:13|104|168|178|80 sec
    1k|4:13|132|175|184|80 sec
    1k|4:17|137|176|185|80 sec
    1k|4:19|143|177|185|80 sec
    1k|4:20|146|179|187|80 sec
    1k|4:25|147|178|190|80 sec

Last time out
    1k|4:20|105|166|174|90 sec
    1k|4:20|110|166|178|90 sec
    1k|4:20|121|168|179|90 sec
    1k|4:20|125|171|181|90 sec
    1k|4:20|129|171|181|90 sec
    1k|4:20|128|173|182|90 sec

• Advertisement

These to runs were an easy 30 mins and an easy 60 mins. Thankfully tomorrow is rest day as I did not enjoy tonight at all.

Also have a bit of a strain in the middle toe of my left foot :mad:. At least thats what I think it is, if its still there on Saturday then I am not racing.

Foot is still sore and on ice at the moment. Not doing tomorrows run in Clonee as I don't want to impact my goal race on May 2.

There is an improvement in my foot today. I may take it for a short easy run tonight and see how it reacts. If I get a reaction then I will have to hit the bike of the few days and see if I can get back onto my feet for the weekend. Its a bit of a mystery as I have no idea how I hurt it. :(

No improvement so I am going to get some medical advice. :(
    It is disappointing as it may be a struggle for me to make the RTE race now and I felt like I was just getting to a new level too.

I have to stay focussed however and try and get over this one.

30 mins cycling this afternoon. Kept up a decent effort but I much prefer running. Foot not sure at all to cycle but sore to walk on. :mad:

Physio tonight for a professional opinion on my perdicament.

Looks like I have the early stages of something called Mortons Neuroma. Most likely cause of this may been wearing my runners too tight as I dont have any issues with pronation etc. on that foot. I am going to rest up for 6-days and see the Physio on monday.

In the meantime I have an exercise I can do to strengthen muscle in the top of my foot and he added a gel pad to my insole in order to spread the bones in my feet a bit so they don't irritate the swollen nerve.

Plenty of icing as well. The worst case scenario he hoped would be 3 weeks but he feels mine is quite early stages and other patients he has seen would have hopped off the table when he squeezed their foot.

I am going to continue the cycling as well. May endanger my plans to run RTE 5 mile but I am not giving up hope yet.

13-14k cycle in 48mins with avg hr 135

Nice cycle in the park. Foot on ice at the moment.

Still on ice. Not too much improvement unfortunately. I have been evaluating my shoe choice etc. and may look for a wider fitting runner in case this is how the injury arose. Hoping for a big improvement this weekend or else I can kiss the rte 5 miler goodbye. :mad:

Definite improvements but still pain when I walk. Physio today, I am now 80% I wont to the RTE 5 mile and hopefully get back on the road for the Intel 10k. I will decide Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Sounds sensible. If you're not sure it's probably best not to risk it. If your injury gets worse you could be out of action for longer.

Advertisement