Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Your Marks ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

A good question. At the moment I know of a number of 10k races that I could do. I have never raced any of them so I am not sure about course difficulty etc.

Mar 17th Tubercurry 10k, this could end up being a 5k in Dublin if I am up here.

Apr 13th Lisadell 10k

May 2nd RTE 5 mile **Not officially a 10k but sub 36 would be the pace I am looking for.

May 23rd Intel 10k

Sticking my neck out I am going for it on April 13th if training goes well and if not I will have to wait until May 23rd. March 17th is all about getting as close as possible and setting myself and a new PB. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

May 2nd RTE 5 mile

Fast enough race here it 4 laps I think of jsut over a mile with no major hills, Could be a chance to go sub 36.

May 23rd Intel 10k
    Multi laps agan, I found this one hard last year, but will be racing it this year and hope to be close to 10 mins faster then last years time, so if you facny a race I should be in sub 45 form by then..;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    May 2nd RTE 5 mile

Fast enough race here it 4 laps I think of jsut over a mile with no major hills, Could be a chance to go sub 36.

May 23rd Intel 10k
    Multi laps agan, I found this one hard last year, but will be racing it this year and hope to be close to 10 mins faster then last years time, so if you facny a race I should be in sub 45 form by then..;)

Thanks for the info Shels. A race at the Intel one would be good as if we push each other who knows what times could be achieved.

Just a 4 mile easy run today, in 38+ minutes so pace was not blistering and legs felt tired half way through.

4 Miles in 38:45 with avg @ 145 and a max of 156

Todays session was a Fartlek type session.

2k warm up followed by 3 * 5 mins @ 4:39/km pace with 1 min easy running

Legs felt heavy before this session and I was glad to get through it. Taking an unplanned rest day tomorrow as I have a feeling all the training is catching up on me. This is the week to do it as this is my easy week. Next week will be a tough one.

6k covered (Avg 155, Max 176).

• Advertisement

Day 3 I took as an unplanned rest day. My calves were aching and I thought I would leave them alone. Did a set of strength exercises instead.

Day 4

4 mile easy run in 38:20 (avg hr 148)

Legs feel great now and with tomorrow being my rest day, I should be in good shape for the weekend.

Annoyed at not getting to run the Garda XC due to personal commitments but there will be plenty of race opportunity.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Day 3 I took as an unplanned rest day. My calves were aching and I thought I would leave them alone. Did a set of strength exercises instead.

Day 4

4 mile easy run in 38:20 (avg hr 148)

Legs feel great now and with tomorrow being my rest day, I should be in good shape for the weekend.

Annoyed at not getting to run the Garda XC due to personal commitments but there will be plenty of race opportunity.

Ah pity you wont be there tomororw been a while since i've raced you . Although i wont be too hot tomorrow.

Ah pity you wont be there tomororw been a while since i've raced you . Although i wont be too hot tomorrow.

I know maybe I am hiding to see how good your recovery has been :D

Ah know, want to get into the habit of doing a lot more BHAA races in the summer league and take on Swords Labs domination. ;)

I know maybe I am hiding to see how good your recovery has been :D

Ah know, want to get into the habit of doing a lot more BHAA races in the summer league and take on Swords Labs domination. ;)
    Big time thats my plan too..

IT3 all the way :D

• Advertisement

Todays run was a bit of mix match of pace to test the legs out.

2.5k in 15mins

Followed by 3k in 16:23 (avg 164, max 169)

Followed by 5k in 23:00 (avg 178, max 181)

Followed by 2.25k in 15mins

I was happy enough but found the fast 5k very tough, maybe it was the head wind.

Cycle 2 starts tomorrow.

32k covered this week so it was an easy week as planned.

4 mile easy run tonight simple as that 36:25

4 mile easy run tonight simple as that 36:25
    Will you be running the 5k XC race in Malahide in a few week?

Will you be running the 5k XC race in Malahide in a few week?

If work permits it Shels I will be there. Is it run under floodlights or something?

I could come straight out on the train from the city centre I suppose but no idea where Malahide Rugby club is and whether a car is more sensible.

7 mile easy run in 65:20 with avg hr 152. I probably went slightly harder than I wanted here but felt good so pushed it. The easy run today is going to be very easy as the 2k reps are close. :eek:

5k easy in 29:23 this afternoon at lunch time.

I was out with friends last week and they comment on the fact that I had noticeably lost weight so I jumped on the scales to find I am now 11.5 stone. I was 12 stone at Xmas. This is interesting as I was not trying to lose weight and have brought in no diet changes, in fact I am always eating. Didn't think I had that much to lose but there you go although I wish it was the bit on my belly that went and not every where else though.

Length|Duration|Start Hr|Avg Hr|Max Hr|Rest
    2k|9:30|101|166|172|2 min
    2k|9:30|112|170|176|2 min
    2k|9:30|122|172|178|2 min
    2k|9:30|127|173|180|2 min

2k repetitions this afternoon which went well. The 3rd rep was way harder than the 4th so if anyone can explain that please do. Forgot HR monitor so no data on that.

1k warm up

2k|9:20|---|---|---|2 min
    2k|9:18|---|---|---|2 min
    2k|9:17|---|---|---|2 min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good going yourself stmochtas - I've found that doing the interval training has really improved my speed your times are very consistant, which shows you have a good handle on your pacing.

2k repetitions this afternoon which went well. The 3rd rep was way harder than the 4th so if anyone can explain that please do. Forgot HR monitor so no data on that.

1k warm up

2k|9:20|---|---|---|2 min
    2k|9:17|---|---|---|2 min
    Could be a mental thing, on the 4th rep you know its your last.

I think it was Shels.

Well done last night by the way. I am sitting on a 13:57 PB for that course from last year.

• Advertisement

I think it was Shels.

Well done last night by the way. I am sitting on a 13:57 PB for that course from last year.

On thats good news for me ;) . I'd say were fairly close at the moment my best i think was 14:28 last year, id need to check back.. my pb on the course is close to 11.

Yes I think we are going to have some fun over the coming months. :) Your PB scares me though. :eek:

Have not been on since Friday so a quick synopsis

Day 5 is always a rest day, Day 6 was A hilly 10 miles in 1:35 and Day 7 was a 5k recovery run which I held back and jogged in 31 mins. I decided to keep this nice and slow as Tuesday's 1k reps is the most important session to be fresh for.

Weekly Total: 33 miles
    Monthly Total: 113 miles

5k recovery run in 30 mins keeping myself fresh for a decent 1k session tomorrow. This will have to be done on a Threadmill with elevation as I wont be able to get out at lunch or early. Roll on the long evenings.

I am taking a weekend off this week as I am on holidays and decided to leave the runners at home as I have been putting in plenty of hard work recently. Only thing that will suffer is my 1000 mile position. :D

Today was a session of 6 * 1k reps. This was planned for a threadmill @ 1%.
    The last 2 were very tough but I got through it.

1k warm up

1k|4:24|107|163|171|90 sec
    1k|4:24|113|164|175|90 sec
    1k|4:24|118|166|177|90 sec
    1k|4:24|128|168|179|90 sec
    1k|4:24|133|170|180|90 sec
    1k|4:24|136|171|181|90 sec

1k cool down

Last Time
    2k warm up

1k|4:30|108|163|173|90 sec
    1k|4:30|102|165|176|90 sec
    1k|4:30|115|167|178|90 sec
    1k|4:30|125|170|179|90 sec
    1k|4:30|132|171|180|90 sec
    1k|4:30|135|172|181|90 sec

1k cool down

Todays run was a simple 5k recovery run after yesterdays workout. TBH it was all i was able for.

5k in 32mins avg hr was 146

Today was a session of 6 * 1k reps. This was planned for a threadmill @ 1%.
    The last 2 were very tough but I got through it.

1k warm up

1k|4:24|107|163|171|90 sec
    1k|4:24|113|164|175|90 sec
    1k|4:24|118|166|177|90 sec
    1k|4:24|128|168|179|90 sec
    1k|4:24|133|170|180|90 sec
    1k|4:24|136|171|181|90 sec

1k cool down
    How do you find doing the session on the TM compared to on the road /grass?

Well first off my preference is for the outdoors but the TM has an advantage for this type of session in my opinion which is "consistent pacing". It allows me to maintain a pace which I suspect would drop if doing these outdoors definitely on the last 2 as my legs were burning.

The surface is also more forgiving than road and I dont have access to a suitable grass course right now until the clocks change. Then it is the Phoenix park polo grounds all the way.

It has disadvantages too though. Firstly the heat of the gym and the amount of sweat produced :eek:, then of course the lack of wind which I up the incline to simulate. Finally I sometimes wonder about your running stride on a TM but I am not sure on that.

Its a nice session to judge fitness and improve leg turnover though and build confidence for Tempo runs. HTH.

4 mile easy run in 34:10. Tuesday workout was still in the legs.
    Taking the rest of the week off so mileage will suffer. I hope to be nice and fresh come Monday.

• Advertisement

Ah rest days are bliss. Rest weekends even better ;)

This is just an entry to wish the best of luck to those doing BallyCotton (Woddle, SP etc.) and the lads (Shels TheRoadRunner etc.) that will be up early and heading for Carlingford this weekend. In a way I would love to be racing this weekend, but secretly I am going to love sleeping in.

The only work to be done this weekend is to tailor the plan to include Wed night BHAA 5k.

and as Woddle plans to do "Enjoy".

Advertisement