Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Your Marks ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Today was a 7.5k easy run to loosen the legs out after yesterdays effort.

Feeling jealous of those heading to Raheny right now. I only ran it once in 2007 in 42 mins so I know I could PB that race if I was there.

Absolutely jaded today so I think a run will actually be damaging to my training and am going to take the night off, cook a nice meal and put the feet up. I have an orthotics assessment on Tuesday so more than likely it will be Wednesday before I run again.

Plan for the week is as follows

Mon - Unplanned Rest
    Tues - Physio
    Wed - 6* 1k interval session
    Thursday - 1 Hour easy running (10k approx)
    Friday - Rest planned but might do 30 mins recovery
    Saturday - BHAA xc 5 mile race
    Sunday - 1 Hour easy running (10k approx)

Had a good but tough session today as it was the first time to get my legs moving below my target 10k pace in a 6 * 1k interval session.

Done this on a threadmill at 1% gradient.

2k warm up
    1. 4:28, 90 sec rest, 169bpm avg
    2. 4:28, 90 sec rest, 164bpm avg
    3. 4:28, 90 sec rest, 166bpm avg
    4. 4:28, 90 sec rest, 167bpm avg
    5. 4:26, 90 sec rest, 169bpm avg
    6. 4:26, 90 sec rest, 169bpm avg
    2k cool down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good running and I find doing them on the treadmill can help alot with pace and the treadmill isn't too boring when your doing intervals.

Cheers if I can get these to 4:10-4:15 it will give me the confidence for the sub-45 attempt and will develop my 5k pace. Legs are heavy this morning.
    Recovery run on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

stmochtas wrote: »
    Day 5
    Anyway I am actually going to get a custom orthotics assessment done with Owen on Tuesday as he believes with my symptoms I am probably a candidate. I am aware of the cost but if they got my right leg feeling like my left then I would be very happy. And I know that a few guys on here Peckham, Cfitz found these to be the answer.

How did the assessment go? I think I need my orthotics now, but if I was to turn back the clock now I think I would make more effort to see if I could fix my biomechanics internally through exercise etc so that I wouldn't have to rely on a shoe insert for the rest of my life. Not knocking orthotics, just think they should be seen as a last resort.

cfitz wrote: »
    How did the assessment go? I think I need my orthotics now, but if I was to turn back the clock now I think I would make more effort to see if I could fix my biomechanics internally through exercise etc so that I wouldn't have to rely on a shoe insert for the rest of my life. Not knocking orthotics, just think they should be seen as a last resort.

I know what you mean cfitz. The assessment went grand and showed up some very big differences between my right and left foot. My left foot appears to be neutral however my right foot would require a 6 degree correction at the back and 3 at the front. I believe some people require 15 degree corrections so I am not that bad of a case but because of running the effect is exagerrated.
    I need to decide whether the orthotics are the what to go for but it certainly seems to be the most obvious reason for the aches and injuries which only ever seem to occur on the right leg along with stiffness in the right calf and base of the right foot.
    At the moment favouring getting them to see their effects but will make the final decision over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I think if someone's foot is rolling in too far or too fast, there's a good chance that it's because of a weakness somewhere in the leg or foot. So, in an ideal world, addressing this weakness would be the best solution.

You might need the orthotics anyway, but I basically just went in and asked for orthotics without trying anything else to fix my problem. I reckon I might have had to get them anyway, but it would be very hard for me to switch away from them now so don't make the decision too lightly.

Well today was supposed to be an 8k recovery run but ended up just doing 6k as I was not feeling it at all. I guess yesterdays session took it out of me.

Just after winning my usual Saucony runners on Ebay for €60 after paying €90 last time out on wiggle. Nice start to the day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

hurray for ebay. Payday for me here so I shall have to do some wiggling/ebaying myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

stmochtas wrote: »
    Just after winning my usual Saucony runners on Ebay for €60 after paying €90 last time out on wiggle. Nice start to the day. :D

Ebay , good idea, should have thought of that before . Thanks for that.

Day 5 was a rest day.

Day 6 - 5 Mile XC

When I first finished I didnt feel that happy about how things went but on reflection I have to say I am happy enough. The course was slow and muddy and on the first lap I was slowed to a walk behind the crowds at different obstacles. If I started further up I might have gained a few more positions.

Finished in 40:53. Managed to hold my position after 2 miles and concentrated on catching some of he guys ahead of me. Unfortunately I didn't catch too many but I held off a few folks that had me beat 2 weeks ago. Still only back 1 month so loads of room for improvement.

Next Saturday if I get to race I will target to move up a few more spots on the results list.

Jan Totals

Total mileage 93
    Total races 2

BHAA Eircom 5 Mile XC : 152nd in 39:20
    BHAA NCF 5 Mile XC : 139th in 40:53

Decided in the snowy wether with all the traffic, delayed public transport to commute by foot. So had a 8 mile easy run which included a few extra loops in the park as I was enjoying the snow underfoot and the artificial brightness.

Stretching out and going to get a nice sleep. :D

Dont think I will be turning out for the BHAA race this week as I have other stuff on now :( so I will focus on 2 hard weeks and an easy week of training bring me to the Garda BHAA in the phoenix park (Home -turf) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good running Stmochtas. Hill race in 2 weeks time might be up your street from a training viewpoint. It'll be a good boost to any CC training.

Good running Stmochtas. Hill race in 2 weeks time might be up your street from a training viewpoint. It'll be a good boost to any CC training.

Cheers SJ I will have a look at the schedule and might consider it. I really want to do the Warriors run in Sligo this year as that is where I come from originally and have only ever been a spectator. A few mountain races will have to be done in the lead up to this.

5k recovery run on the Threadmill this morning to get the legs shook out and just to get training done with until tomorrow as I have a lot on tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Glad to see your getting back..May get to race you again sometime..

Thanks Shels. Ya would be great to get a race we are both doing again. The Garda XC is a definite for me and I quite fancy the idea of Annacurra but doubt I could get a way with racing 2 weekends in a row. ;)

The Garda race is one i'd love to do. Was my first try at XC after raheny last year but ended up dropping out so might run it this year.

• Advertisement

Today was a session of 2k reps which I ended up doing on a threadmill at 1% incline as its too dark and cold for doing these in the evening yet.

1k warm up

Length|Duration|Start Hr|Avg Hr|Max Hr|Rest
    2k|9:30|101|166|172|2 min
    2k|9:30|112|170|176|2 min
    2k|9:30|122|172|178|2 min
    2k|9:30|127|173|180|2 min

Like Plodder's tables on another thread so decided to use them

1.25k cool down

5 mile recovery run in a very flooded and mucky phoenix park. Enjoyed it and the legs feel better after the 5 than before. I guess thats why they are called "recovery".:D

Friday is always my rest day. This morning was a 10 mile easy run which took me across many different terrain and obstacles. Start on a hilly road route which was snow covered and quite slippy. After that into some woods I had not run around before following a trail which had some very steep inclines and declines and loads of muck and even some fallen trees. Only 2 falls as I practised Enduro's method of descent :D. Came out on a different road and was a bit disorientated but quickly found my way to the local race course for a few loops in the mud, finally back by a walking trail along the river which I thought would be flooded but it wasn't so the runners didn't get washed.

10 mile Easy Run.

n701416722_1893076_462.jpg

Looking out the window now thinking will I, wont I.

The warriors run that is.

3 mile recovery run today in the snow. Nothing more to add.

35.5 miles covered this week.

Today was a session of 1k reps which I ended up doing on a threadmill at 1% incline as its too dark and cold for doing these in the evening yet.

2k warm up

Length|Duration|Start Hr|Avg Hr|Max Hr|Rest
    1k|4:30|108|163|173|90 sec
    1k|4:30|102|165|176|90 sec
    1k|4:30|115|167|178|90 sec
    1k|4:30|125|170|179|90 sec
    1k|4:30|132|171|180|90 sec
    1k|4:30|135|172|181|90 sec

1k cool down

5k easy run today in approximately half an hour. Off to croker tonight so thats me done for today. :)

Nice 6 mile easy run taking a long route home from work. Unfortunately all on footpaths, pace who knows as I has no watch. I could always pass the talk test but felt like I was still moving along nicely.

Rest day today which I am very glad off. Tempo run and long run planned for the weekend so I need the rest. I am definitely starting to feel stronger again and the training is paying off. I am close to last years levels so after the Garda XC I hope to push on and improve. My hope would be to start really seeing a difference by Paddy's day when I will either race 5k in Dublin or 10k in Sligo. My preference is for 10k and too edge closer to the 45 mark.

I have run 1 10k so far in 48:54 so 3:54 to shave off.

To get half way there by Paddy's day say sub-47 would be great, lower would be brilliant.

Day 6

10k run with 5k at tempo pace. The aim was to run this one at between 23:15-23:30 and completed the tempo piece in 23:15. I know I could have gone a bit faster but I want to keep my best performances for races. Conditions were perfect.

Tempo 5k in 23:15 with avg hr @ 173

Day 7

Nice 10k recovery run in the park today and what a day it was. Kept this really relaxed.

10k in 61:27 with avg hr @ 151

10 * 50m strides to get the legs moving at the end.

Very happy with this weekend of training

45km ran this week with some great quality sessions.

• Advertisement

good running there, do you have a 10k race in mind for your crack at 45 mins ?

Advertisement