Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

johnfás wrote: »
    Can you use televisions bought in the north with analogue NTL down here in Dublin? I know it certainly used to be the case that the tuner band NTL used was not available on televisions sold in Britain.

Is the NTL tuning not carried out by the NTL box and the signal forwarded to the tv by scard/hdmi/RF cable?

Best to post in a techie section in any case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We noticed petrol up north was actually cheaper in places then down here especially tescos with the 5c a litre off vouchers.Out of habit I had filled up down here before heading up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

With your Sainsburys 5p off voucher that makes the petrol 92.9p a litre which works out at €1.18 at todays rate. I can easily get petrol here for 114.9 cent a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Is the NTL tuning not carried out by the NTL box and the signal forwarded to the tv by scard/hdmi/RF cable?

Best to post in a techie section in any case.

Poster is asking about analog, i.e. co-axial cable.

I know that used to be the case - our family's first colour TV was bought in Lurgan and my father had to get a UHF/VHF converter to make it work. That's the question that needs answering, in a techie section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've got another reason to shop in the North, the ISME, the cheeky feckers who represent small and medium Irish businesses are now claiming, "that Irish shoppers heading abroad are killing Irish jobs, undermining local businesses and robbing the Irish economy of millions of euro in unpaid taxes."

I understand they mean US flights but I can find something cheaper abroad I'm going to buy it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1027/breaking13.htm

Well it if wasnt for the Irish shop ripping off Irish consumers we wouldn't have to shop abroad. I had only planned on buying day to day items in the south, like milk bread and eggs, now I'm going to buy a Northie chicken, buy milk in bulk and freeze it and bake my own bread :D

Cheeky fecking b@stards is all I can say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

DonJose wrote: »
    Don't know about cat food but I shopped in Asda Enniskillen and bought dog food, bought a 5kg bag of Bakers for £6, they sell 3kg bags of bakers in Tesco for €8.78, works out the following per kilo

Tesco 3kg = €8.78 = 1kg €2.92

Asda 5kg = £6 = €7.64 = 1kg €1.52

I'd say you would get twice more cat food in Enniskillen for the same money down south.

thanks for the advice
    regds
    bagels

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

it depends on the type of food tbh all with your regular supermarket brands whiskas etc there's usually something on special offer (check out the sainsburys / asda website for details) if you're looking at foods like royal canin etc then generally no there isn't too much of a saving in fact it can be cheaper on this side of the border. With cat litter you will generally be able to buy it cheaper in NI.

there's a jollies pet shop by the bus station in enniskillen afaik.;)

many thanks
    regds
    bagels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

2 one litre bottles of spirits (smirnoff etc) for 20£sterling in tesco uk/Northern Ireland this weekend. Saw advert in Northern Irish Newspaper which i don't have at present but nearly sure it said 2 one litres for 20sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

2 one litre bottles of spirits (smirnoff etc) for 20£sterling in tesco uk/Northern Ireland this weekend. Saw advert in Northern Irish Newspaper which i don't have at present but nearly sure it said 2 one litres for 20sterling.

Thats a great deal. I am heading up to Enniskillen on Sunday so I will be sure to head in to Tesco. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I think they work out around €29 each down here!

http://www.supermarketspecialoffers.com/BeerandDrinkOffers.aspx

On page 19:
    Smirnoff Red Label Vodka 1 Litre
    Tesco
    Price - £13.00
    Offer - 2 for £20.00
    Valid until - 02/11/2008

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

Planning a trip to Belfast (from Dublin) in a few weeks. What's the best day (Mon-Fri) to go, taking into account traffic, etc? Any recommendations/experiences on Belfast Shopping Centres too would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Any day except weekends, if you avoid standard commuting time. Once you hit borders at 9am, it's OK all the way. And leave Belfast before 4pm. Or much later, like at 6:30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 luckytiff02

Hi to everyone. Maybe Heatons, Dunnes Stores and Primark is my bet, from foods, clothing to furniture, they have it. You can check them out.

And also visit The Quays, as I heard, its a brand new store. Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Did my weekly shop in ASDA in Strabane on Monday after spending the weekend in Donegal. Was overcharged 12 pounds for a bunch of bananas :mad:. Only noticed it half way down to Dublin. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

manster wrote: »
    Did my weekly shop in ASDA in Strabane on Monday after spending the weekend in Donegal. Was overcharged 12 pounds for a bunch of bananas :mad:. Only noticed it half way down to Dublin. :o
    Give them a call. Their number should be on the receipt or send an email with details of the transaction and till detail numbers etc.

Im sure they will look after you some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

going to north from mayo via donegal, where is the best place to head to?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Anyone knows what is the current Exchange rate for € in ASDA Enniskillen (if you paying cash)?? Im going there 2morro.

The rate changes daily. Ring them today and ask.

You are better off paying in sterling if possible. That way you get the very best exchange rate available.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The rate changes daily. Ring them today and ask.

You are better off paying in sterling if possible. That way you get the very best exchange rate available.
    Asda always seem to be in or around (within 1c) of the actual exchange rate. I dont really see any advantage in buying sterling - from the bank or bureau de change anyhow.

going to north from mayo via donegal, where is the best place to head to?
    What part of Donegal are you passing through - Strabane or Enniskillen would be your best bets anyhow.

• Advertisement

devil-80 wrote: »
    Anyone knows what is the current Exchange rate for € in ASDA Enniskillen (if you paying cash)?? Im going there 2morro.
    Thursday night in Asda - £1 = €0.787

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

Does anybody know any good shops to buy TVs Speakers AV receivers in N.I....
    Im aware Richer Sounds is good but can anybody recommend another Electronics Store???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Last time I was in ASDA Strabane the exchange rate was 78.5p.

And for the person who was overcharged they seem good at giving you your money back. One day I went in to buy some of the 18 cans Carlsburg packs for £7 each. Bought four of them but was charged £9 each so was overcharged by £8. Noticed it and went to the customer services desk on the way out the door, the girl checked the price, gave me my £8 back and then gave me a £2 voucher for ASDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

I personally dont see much of a price difference in the beer between the south and north.
    heineken at £13 for 20 bottles is about €17.
    you can normally get 20 bottles in offers in teh south for €20.

a lot of the ni shops carry the smaller bottles (275ml). That size is a waste of a time if you are a drinker at all.

There also is a lot of crap drink, carling, tennants, uk bulmers. Each to their own, but they taste terrible.

hard to beat the €6.99 6 pack of 500ml beer in lidl in the south.(proper german beer)

i bought sol in tesco (south) today. €9.99 for 16 bottles.First time i had it. Not bad, think ill stick to the lidl stuff though.

spirits are cheaper in the north. and a good bit at that.

I was in enniskillen on monday past. It was a joke with all the 'mexicans'. Traffic, parking, shop aisles and queing at the tills was a nightmare. Whatever your jounrney time is, add an hour for the increased traffic.

Some great savings on baby stuff and their special offers, but the shopping experience is highly stressful. Would rather spend the time wasted on travel, queuing and inconvience with the family.

Wouldnt recommend the experience to everyone. Some cash can be saved, but not worth it on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

@ aidz,
    Not worth it? Jesus, did you read the rest of this thread?

As for the Heineken, they are 330ml bottles.

aidz wrote: »
    I personally dont see much of a price difference in the beer between the south and north.
    heineken at £13 for 20 bottles is about €17.
    you can normally get 20 bottles in offers in teh south for €20.

a lot of the ni shops carry the smaller bottles (275ml). That size is a waste of a time if you are a drinker at all.

There also is a lot of crap drink, carling, tennants, uk bulmers. Each to their own, but they taste terrible.

hard to beat the €6.99 6 pack of 500ml beer in lidl in the south.(proper german beer)

i bought sol in tesco (south) today. €9.99 for 16 bottles.First time i had it. Not bad, think ill stick to the lidl stuff though.

spirits are cheaper in the north. and a good bit at that.

I was in enniskillen on monday past. It was a joke with all the 'mexicans'. Traffic, parking, shop aisles and queing at the tills was a nightmare. Whatever your jounrney time is, add an hour for the increased traffic.

Some great savings on baby stuff and their special offers, but the shopping experience is highly stressful. Would rather spend the time wasted on travel, queuing and inconvience with the family.

Wouldnt recommend the experience to everyone. Some cash can be saved, but not worth it on the whole.
    You are Brian Cowen and I claim my 5 pounds. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

what tesco did you get 16 bottles for 9.99?

its rare that you would get 6 bottles here for under that price.

Misprint possibly?

ive only ever seen them at 9.99 for 6 bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

its there an ASDA on the way to banbridge from dublin? If not would Tesco or Sainsburys be cheaper to do some shopping, need to stock up on some wine.

No asda between Banbridge and Dublin. :(

Tesco is cheaper than Sainsburys, although Sainsburys have better stuff. Swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No asda between Banbridge and Dublin. :(

Tesco is cheaper than Sainsburys, although Sainsburys have better stuff. Swings and roundabouts.

Ah so there site is right then. I wonder is there any off sales warehouse type thing on the way? Or would should I just go to a supermarket?

Advertisement