Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote: »
    In Asda Strabane tonight - 1 litre bottles Smirnoff for £13 :) (€16.50 - €17.00 max.)
    20 x 330ml bottles Heineken for £13
    15 x 440ml cans Carlsberg for £7 (about €9)
    Good to see they still have the Carlsberg on offer. Bought 3 slabs the last day I was up, need more though! :D

Smirnoff be handy for festive season at that kinda money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote: »
    Good to see they still have the Carlsberg on offer. Bought 3 slabs the last day I was up, need more though! :D
    Yeah good choice. I think I have enough stock piled now in the shed. ;)
    byte wrote: »
    Smirnoff be handy for festive season at that kinda money.
    Handy any time :D

I got 3 of them but Id be fairly sure one or two could be gone before the festive season ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yeah good choice. I think I have enough stock piled now in the shed. ;)
    Did you get some Heineken? ;)

smashey wrote: »
    Did you get some Heineken? ;)
    Im not telling you for obvious reasons. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

heading from dublin does anyone know what exit i need to take for asda and where it is generally after the exit?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    heading from dublin does anyone know what exit i need to take for asda and where it is generally after the exit?
    It might be helpful if you said which town you were going to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Traffic was horrible this weekend, and I wasn't even going into Newry.

Damn dubs ;)

It might be helpful if you said which town you were going to ;)

lol sorry newry :D

i ended up getting lost and going to dunnes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Never again Newry on a bank holiday weekend.

Had to go x-country thru Crosmaglen to beat the traffic, which wasn't moving, at all. Nothing left on the shelves in Sainsburys at 1545, & it was completely & utterly packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Avoid Newry at all costs leave it to the Dubs. You are better off staying on the A1 to Lisburn and Belfast and spending your money there.

• Advertisement

banchang wrote: »
    Never again Newry on a bank holiday weekend.

Had to go x-country thru Crosmaglen to beat the traffic, which wasn't moving, at all. Nothing left on the shelves in Sainsburys at 1545, & it was completely & utterly packed.

there was a truck and a car broke down there at some point i think thats what caused a lot of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Avoid Newry at all costs leave it to the Dubs. You are better off staying on the A1 to Lisburn and Belfast and spending your money there.

Traffic still crawls into the two roundabouts, always seems to be road work and single lanes.

Was up in Belfast twice over the weekend and it was bad, but today was nasty.

Done a bit of cross country ourselves :)

Bank holiday weekends are always going to be awful especially at this time of year. If you can get to a store early in a mid week morning then you're flying.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

One tip for Newry is to to go straight thru' the roundabout after the end of the motorway. After about KM or two, you take a right hand turn under a rail bridge and this then leads you into the city centre but while also avoiding the traffic on the hill.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I went to Belfast on Friday and called into Newry on the way home at about 7pm - t'was pretty quiet. Don't think people realise that Banbridge, Lisburn and Belfast aren't actually that far away from Newry!

Indeed.

People can be lazy creatures and as such don't realise that places like Banbridge, Lisburn etc are not far away from Newry at all. Also the shopkeepers in Newry know this and price accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Is there any Asda near Ikea or on way back down to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Just arrived home from shopping at Asda and Tesco in Enniskillen and I'm a happy camper. Bought a 3 months supply of nappies and baby food and I spent roughly £200 on booze as I'm planning a party this month, amongst the booze,

1 liter Jameson whisky - £17.98
    1 liter Baileys - £13
    1 liter Smifnoff - £13
    15 bottles of Miller 330ml - £7
    20 bottles of Heineken 330ml - £13
    20 bottles of Bud 330ml - £12

It was well worth the trip and I plan on doing all my major shopping in the north, I reckon I saved at least 25% on my shopping today. Hopefully the only thing I will need to buy in the republic will be daily essentials like milk, bread, eggs and so on.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Is there any Asda near Ikea or on way back down to Dublin?
    Downpatrick. Follow the A2 from Belfast to Downpatrick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Was up in Banbridge on Sunday,it was really nice.
    There were no crowds,no queues and although there are not a lot of shops,what is there is pretty good.
    Went to tescos too,nearly everything is cheaper then tescos here,spent a fortune!

• Advertisement

Under pressure timewise don't want to deviate that much, any in Banbridge or Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

You don't have to deviate at all. There is an Asda in Belfast almost straight off the M1 (2 minutes max). It's open 24/7.

Westwood Shopping Centre
    Kennedy Way
    Belfast
    BT11

P.S. There is none in Newry or Banbridge

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Here is a spread sheet of what we bought in ASDA in Enniskillen we saved €211 and the booze isn't included.
    enniskillen trip pat.xls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

bravo patmac!!!

was in enniskilleen on Sunday, it was pretty nuts, big queue's for the tills,

the two brians should go up there on a weekend and see what people are doing, nobody wants to have to drive to shop but the savings are real!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

patmac wrote: »
    Here is a spread sheet of what we bought in ASDA in Enniskillen we saved €211 and the booze isn't included.
    enniskillen trip pat.xls

You were robbed on the milk of magnesia..!!;)

patmac wrote: »
    enniskillen trip pat.xls
    Well done patmac. Nice to see it all put together so professionally.

now print it out and tape it to the doors of the nearest Dunnes and Tescos stores :D

Good report patmac.
    You should stick the booze on it and see how much of a saving people will get by going up.

I can tell you how much smirnoff vodka is in Asda :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

DubDani wrote: »
    You don't have to deviate at all. There is an Asda in Belfast almost straight off the M1 (2 minutes max). It's open 24/7.

Westwood Shopping Centre
    Kennedy Way
    Belfast
    BT11

P.S. There is none in Newry or Banbridge

And if you have a sat nav the post code to input is BT11 9AP.

Theres an Asda in Downpatrick as well but it's a fair drive from Newry on fairly narrow roads - I passed through there a few weeks ago and it took a good 40 minutes from Newry.

Advertisement