Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

patmac wrote: »
    Here is a spread sheet of what we bought in ASDA in Enniskillen we saved €211 and the booze isn't included.Attachment not found.

Well done patmac most people always seem to dwell on the savings to be made on alcohol and highlight these good to see the savings on ordinary stuff highlighted for a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

Excellent work on the spreadsheet patmac.

I called into Asda Enniskillen on Monday evening after a trip to Donegal and the place was choked with shoppers. Washing powder and dishwasher tablets were sold out apart from the smallest packs. You would think it was Christmas eve with the amount of people there - Sainsburys Newry must be brutal!

I'm from the north (live in the south) and I'd recommend my nearest shopping centre at home, Rushmere in Craigavon. It's probably handiest for people from Monaghan. Theres a Tesco and Sainsburys with a lot of other large retailers: Debenhams, Next, Currys, Argos etc. It's not as hectic as the border shops so it my appeal for that reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

We were in Belfast on Friday and used the credit card in 3 places. The charges are on the credit card account this morning and the rates applied caught my eye.

IKEA 0.7859
    Sainsburys 0.8039
    Toys'R'Us 0.8040

I would have expected the credit card company to have applied a common rate for all 3, given that the transactions were on the same day and the transactions are on my statement under the same date ? Obviously not.

After we left Toys'R'UsI was kicking myself that I hadn't asked them to put the charge through as Euro, using their own rate of 0.81. But, given the amount we spent, the difference (0.81 vs 0.804) was negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

I have to admit I was surprised myself at the savings we also bought 2 bottles of brandy and 5 bottles of wine and I have no comparison down here. €211 which was 37%. How can that be? Jesus the whole country will be going there soon. Will go again in the new year, what will it be like when they have a sale on! We bought a lot of ASDA's roll back offers (special red sticker), thanks mainly goes to the other half who did the legwork on the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TarfHead wrote: »
    We were in Belfast on Friday and used the credit card in 3 places. The charges are on the credit card account this morning and the rates applied caught my eye.

IKEA 0.7859
    Sainsburys 0.8039
    Toys'R'Us 0.8040

I would have expected the credit card company to have applied a common rate for all 3, given that the transactions were on the same day and the transactions are on my statement under the same date ? Obviously not.

After we left Toys'R'UsI was kicking myself that I hadn't asked them to put the charge through as Euro, using their own rate of 0.81. But, given the amount we spent, the difference (0.81 vs 0.804) was negligible.
    Credit card company applies that rate on the day of processing which will not be the actual date of the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

hi,
    my better half rescues cats from the GSPCA cat shelter and adopts strays;
    we have 5 cats at the moment;
    cat food has become very expensive in county galway lately;
    would we save much by shopping for same in enniskillen?
    price comparisons would be welcome;
    thanks
    bagels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

The Asda in Downpatrick is worth the extra 40 mins as it is nowhere near as busy as supermarkets in Newry. It has an Argos, Halfords, New Look, in same complex.

On the other side of the North Strabane has a huge Asda. There is an Argos just across the road from it. It also has Better Deals which gives 1 Euro to 1 Pound. It does not have an off licence but there is a Winemark in the same complex.

Derry has Tesco on Waterside, Tesco on Cityside and Sainsburys along the Strand Road.

In Donegal we are lucky in that the border is close. Savings are in the order of 25% on food.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Credit card company applies that rate on the day of processing which will not be the actual date of the transaction.

I accept that. I thought it curious that 3 rates were in effect for transactions that were processed over 2 possible processing dates.

Fri 24 - 3 transactions
    Mon 27
    Tue 28 - date for all 3 transactions on credit card statement

Maybe they differentiate by retailer ? In addition to the credit card, I used the debit card in IKEA for a small transaction and was charged 4.5% (Maestro charge) for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭mell61

someone earlier in the thread mentioned Makro for shopping, and I do have a card for it that has given me great savings over the couple of years I've had it (latest one was about Eu150 off a 26inch lcd tv).
    The alcohol bit doesn't require a card, so anyone can shop there - personally I always try the bargain corner first, last couple of times I've gotten 16 bottles of Kronenberg for £3.99 as it was going off the planner, i've also picked up some great belgian beers there as well.
    In terms of the value, know your prices going in and have a calculator, laundry / toilet paper / mach 3 blades are all brilliant value but some of the foodstuff are same if not more.
    I wouldn't bother going to Newry, the queues are dreadful, take the extra 10-15 min and head up to the sainburys further on up to Belfast, and its a lot quieter!
    My one memory of a stop in Newry was a real Dub standing shout to all and sundry 'why can't anyone tell me how much £10 is?', in the off licence! I faked a norther accent and legged it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

patmac wrote: »
    I have to admit I was surprised myself at the savings we also bought 2 bottles of brandy and 5 bottles of wine and I have no comparison down here. €211 which was 37%. How can that be? Jesus the whole country will be going there soon. Will go again in the new year, what will it be like when they have a sale on! We bought a lot of ASDA's roll back offers (special red sticker), thanks mainly goes to the other half who did the legwork on the prices.

Asda Enniskillen also have a nice restraunt upstairs and the grub is cheap. We ended up with 4 shopping trolleys full. We bought the booze first, 2 trolleys full and then emptied it into the car, then we went back and did the food shopping.

To tell the truth, if it wasn't for Brian Lenihan's rant, I probably wouldn't have bothered trying out shopping in the North, I will be doing all my major shopping in the North, at least once a month. Thanks Brian :D

http://www.rte.ie/money/budget2009/stories/2008/1015/budgetlenihan.html

What electrical shops would you recommend in the North?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I blame the education cuts on DonJose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

People can be lazy creatures and as such don't realise that places like Banbridge, Lisburn etc are not far away from Newry at all.
    True. Just back from Sainsburys in Lisburn - it's about 4 times the size of the Newry Sainsburys, there's a much better selection, shelves are stocked and the place doesn't resemble the Fall of Hanoi.

Sprucefield Park and Centre in Lisburn are definitely worth a visit. M&S, Curries, Next and a humongous B&Q. Newry turns into a zoo between now and Xmas.

Just back from Newry today. Herself wanted to go to Evans in the Buttercrane so I had to comply. Sainsburys was mobbed. As bad as any weekend. As you say the place looked like it was being looted. :D

Got some great bargains on beer. Any 3 boxes for £20. 3x15 Millers for £20, you can't go wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭northdubgal

What's this Makro thing that people are talking about ?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

What's this Makro thing that people are talking about ?? :o
    Makro Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭northdubgal

smashey wrote: »
    Makro Belfast

Ahhh!! Thanks for that! Are many people here members?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ahhh!! Thanks for that! Are many people here members?
    There are a few membesr here. I just borrow a card whenever i go. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Was driving back from Armagh via Newry on Bank Hol Monday and was feeling sorry for the bargain hunters queued halfway from Dundalk....

My handy hint for the day - Sainsburys in Armagh. Not as big as Newry but it carries 90% of the stuff with 5% of the hassle - if you're heading from Dublin, take off the M1 at Ardee, N2 to Castleblayney, and an R road from Blayney to Armagh via Keady, means you miss the traffic carnage at Newry. I'm from Armagh and was up at the weekend, toddled round shopping between 11 and 12 with not a soul near me, fully stocked shelves, and only half a dozen RoI reg's in the carpark.

Armagh is circa 90mins from Dublin via M1/N2/Keady. Coming back you can return via Newry as the traffic moves grand sounthbound, and you have the added satisfaction (as I did) of piling your orange bags high in the back seat and driving past waving at the northbound queues on the M1 :)

Next best tip would be Tesco in Banbridge which again requires negotiation of the Newry bypass, or Rushmere in Craigavon, again via Newry and rubbish road from Newry - Portadown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Went to Ikea yesterday, went to use a credit card and the bloke said,
    "I'll have to charge you 1% to use the credit card as the credit card companies charge us!"
    There was no charge for Irish Laser card, the rate for Euro was 0.7500.
    Noticed very few ROI reg's in Ikea yesterday must have been the day of the week, a lot of the stuff we wanted also wasn't in stock :(.
    Tried to get into Newy and after 15 minutes of not moving gave up.
    Massive queues into the town from the South after lunchtime.

Was driving back from Armagh via Newry on Bank Hol Monday and was feeling sorry for the bargain hunters queued halfway from Dundalk....

My handy hint for the day - Sainsburys in Armagh. Not as big as Newry but it carries 90% of the stuff with 5% of the hassle - if you're heading from Dublin, take off the M1 at Ardee, N2 to Castleblayney, and an R road from Blayney to Armagh via Keady, means you miss the traffic carnage at Newry. I'm from Armagh and was up at the weekend, toddled round shopping between 11 and 12 with not a soul near me, fully stocked shelves, and only half a dozen RoI reg's in the carpark.

Armagh is circa 90mins from Dublin via M1/N2/Keady. Coming back you can return via Newry as the traffic moves grand sounthbound, and you have the added satisfaction (as I did) of piling your orange bags high in the back seat and driving past waving at the northbound queues on the M1 :)

Next best tip would be Tesco in Banbridge which again requires negotiation of the Newry bypass, or Rushmere in Craigavon, again via Newry and rubbish road from Newry - Portadown.
    You evil bastard! :D:D:D

Where in Armagh is the sainsburys? Is it a case of you can't miss it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

thought i wouldnt be busy!
    boy was I wrong!
    asda was like christmas time already half the cars from the south,MANIC!
    You would need elbows of steel to get through the crowds!
    Great bargains to be had in asda alright but not an awful lot else in the town!
    went through the erneside SC to the main street with woolies etc and not a lot there.
    Tesco was empty at the same time as there prices are way off(or asda's are really good)
    heinz baby rice 1£ in asda same one in Tesco 2£.
    no wonder people dont go there!
    I will be stocking up for christmas in november for sure,this time I hope there is no feckin road works on the way into the town,2 1/2 hours drive and nearly an hour in traffic because of them,took the shine off a tad!
    slan
    john

My handy hint for the day - Sainsburys in Armagh. Not as big as Newry but it carries 90% of the stuff with 5% of the hassle

Armagh is circa 90mins from Dublin via M1/N2/Keady.

Similar journey time to Sprucefield, and Sprucefield Sainsburys is much bigger than Newry. What's the advantage - avoiding the Newry bypass ?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Went to Ikea yesterday, went to use a credit card and the bloke said,
    "I'll have to charge you 1% to use the credit card as the credit card companies charge us!"
    There was no charge for Irish Laser card, the rate for Euro was 0.7500.
    Noticed very few ROI reg's in Ikea yesterday must have been the day of the week, a lot of the stuff we wanted also wasn't in stock :(.
    Tried to get into Newy and after 15 minutes of not moving gave up.

Sorry for your trouble

I posted yesterday, or the day before, about the vagaries of RoI cards & exchange rates in IKEA. Although they may not charge you for using your RoI debit card, Maestro will. They charged me 4.5% for using my BoI LASER/Maestro/Cirrus card in IKEA.

Also, for future reference, the IKEA website can advise what is currently in stock. We checked it before heading off so were reasonably confident of getting what we were after - and we did. Not sure though if you can reserve items.

You evil bastard! :D:D:D

Where in Armagh is the sainsburys? Is it a case of you can't miss it?

Sainsburys Armagh is in the imaginatively named Mall Shopping Centre, on the Mall. Coming from the South or West will eventually bring you to the town centre, follow A29 to Dungannon/Moy, which will bring you around the Mall West. Once you're there you cant miss it. Bring 30p for parking though.

To the other poster re- Sprucefield...you're fairly caning it to do Dublin-Sprucefield in 90 minutes?? From the airport, maybe, I'm generally timing from Glasnevin direction. Armagh is an hour from Drogheda. Certainly though, the works to the Newry bypass are only going to get more restrictive over the next few months, imo to be avoided at peak times. If you're going off peak then theres no need to go out of the way.

To the other poster re- Sprucefield...you're fairly caning it to do Dublin-Sprucefield in 90 minutes??

Yeah, I start the clock, as it were, from the airport. Everything before that is a lottery. We got to IKEA on Monday before 11 and were heading past the airport at around 9. I generally kept within the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In reply to the couple of posts re credit card exchange rates I think people should either buy the sterling in advance or even withdraw money (bank account) from an ATM in Northern Ireland as there is no handling charge.

Most of the stores give a reasonable exchange rate if paying in Euro and its worth the price of a phone call to the store to find out the rate before you embark on your journey.

TarfHead wrote: »
    Yeah, I start the clock, as it were, from the airport. Everything before that is a lottery. We got to IKEA on Monday before 11 and were heading past the airport at around 9. I generally kept within the speed limit.

That would make sense...though my suggestion would be aimed at the times when Newry is choked, in which case you'd definitely not be making Sprucefield in 90 mins. Traffic on Monday was probably taking 30-40mins to get from the approach to Cloghogue r/a to the Mourne Country roundabout (last one on the bypass).

Plus you'd get to marvel at the delights of Armagh :eek: :o

muffler wrote: »
    In reply to the couple of posts re credit card exchange rates I think people should either buy the sterling in advance or even withdraw money (bank account) from an ATM in Northern Ireland as there is no handling charge.

Most of the stores give a reasonable exchange rate if paying in Euro and its worth the price of a phone call to the store to find out the rate before you embark on your journey.
    Sage advice there Muffler. Argos in Newry were offering £0.75 yesterday, Sainsburys 76p which are quite poor rates imho.

I always use my ATM card and get sterling cash. Any left over can be used on a future trip so no waste there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Exit 15 on M50 to Ikea yesterday took 2hr 20mins non stop.
    For most of trip up traffic was fine but bypassing Newry took about 30 mins and same again coming back.
    What nobody has mentioned before and needs to be taken into account
    is the cost in petrol.
    Cost me €60 in petrol return.

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What nobody has mentioned before and needs to be taken into account
    is the cost in petrol.
    Cost me €60 in petrol return.

To be fair, €60 sounds extremely excessive. You're either driving very inefficiently or your car has problems (or its a tank/American muscle car??). By my reckoning your averaging in the region of 16mpg on a motorway journey?

Your return trip was in the region of 260miles. Most cars would average 40mpg, in fact most would do more as its a good motorway jaunt. Using 40mpg, you should have used 6.5gallons - about 30litres, at say €1.20/l for petrol and diesel at the mo = €36.

In my case, I average 55mpg, and my local diesel is €1.15.Your trip would have cost me €25.

Its fair to say that on a 2-weekly or even weekly shop, and not taking booze into account, the majority of shoppers are saving far in excess of €36 on a trip. In fact more, as the grocery shoppers dont generally seem to be going as far as Belfast.

Advertisement