Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

JAMM222 wrote: »
    anyone know whats open up north today?

All the shops are open. But you better stay home as it is a complete nightmare in and around the Newry Area. Seems the whole of Ireland made their way up. I can see the Queues into (and out of) Newry out of my Window, and it is not a pretty image.

I think going into newry (or anywhere around it) today might put the biggest shopaholic off shopping for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

bobbbb wrote: »
    My God. The traffic up there yesterday morning - Monday. If i could have found my phone i would have filmed it.

Took an hour from when i crossed the border to getting down to the car parks in Newry. Another 40 mins to find a parking space.
    And 30 mins waiting in the checkout queue. Then i couldnt get out of the car park with people sitting in their cars waiting for spaces and blocking up the whole bloody car park.

Never again.

I was in Tesco's today (in the south) I almost get sick when I have to pay for things, knowing its half the price up north. Its worth the journey except you need to be there early and avoid any day that looks like everybody else might go too, like the day before paddys or every Saturday I imagine. Get there early, thats crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

My God. The traffic up there yesterday morning - Monday. If i could have found my phone i would have filmed it.

Took an hour from when i crossed the border to getting down to the car parks in Newry. Another 40 mins to find a parking space.
    And 30 mins waiting in the checkout queue. Then i couldnt get out of the car park with people sitting in their cars waiting for spaces and blocking up the whole bloody car park.

Never again.

Go to Sainsburys in Sprucefield, 20mins drive further than Newry, no problem parking, much better stocked shop and a much more preasant experience. Grand even at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Go to Sainsburys in Sprucefield, 20mins drive further than Newry, no problem parking, much better stocked shop and a much more preasant experience. Grand even at the weekends.
    +1 to that. Newry is an absolute zoo these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

got there in an hour and 15 no traffic got a space in the quays straight away only 1 person ahead of me in the queue in sainsburys! great deal on bags of cans it seams they put together all the cans that have fallen our of their packaging and they put them in a plastic bag and sell them for 3 pound i bought 2 bags of guinness around 7 or eight cans in each! also 20 bottles of coors light for 10 pound and 24 cans of carlsberg 440ml for 15 pound:D

just checked the bags of cans and there are 10 in each that means 30p per can all they need in a wash in a bit of cold water, the are dated oct 09!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Never again.

Ah but you get 20p off a can of dog food.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Stark wrote: »
    Ah but you get 20p off a can of dog food.

The dog food was less than half the price it is here :)
    I got a years supply :D
    My dog loves me now. My arse doesnt.
    He can starve after next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,276 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wertz wrote: »
    Funny the way the same minimum wage staff doing similar jobs in the North have the wit to know where something might be, and if they don't, to point them in the direction of someone who will, all the while treating the customer with some respect, cursory manners, a smile and no attitude, all for less take home pay and in considerably busier stores.
    Your attitude goes a long way to explaining what's wrong with the whole shopping experience in the south....how the hell do you expect to keep yourselves in work when you treat people who are ultimately providing your wages in that fashion?
    Retards and lazy bastards? In my experience that's usually the staff, not the customers in any given Tesco.

High Horse get down from your.

Customers in the South (Dublin specifically), Supermarkets aren't my experience specifically, can be unbelievably rude.

They don't know their actual rights, expect outrageous things from minimum wage staff that is outside of their job description and generally have completely taken the 'Customer is always right' lie to silly extremes.

It works both ways, lets not pretend all the South's problems are somehow down to our staff. Furthermore lets not pretend shoppers are going North for anything other than price, you think people are going to Sainsburys because the shop worker was more informative in the 10 different types of Corn Flakes available?

Yes the South can more than hold its own when it comes to ignorant and downright rude customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

noodler wrote: »
    Customers in the South (Dublin specifically), Supermarkets aren't my experience specifically, can be unbelievably rude.

They don't know their actual rights, expect outrageous things from minimum wage staff that is outside of their job description and generally have completely taken the 'Customer is always right' lie to silly extremes.

I'd agree with this I've worked in phone support before and it would tell us where the calls were coming from. We'd have to take a deep breath when we saw it was from Ireland. Not all of the customers were bad obviously but you'd get a higher percentage of screamers and people who "knew their rights". The English customers were more likely to listen to you and accept reason.

However that's no excuse. I've been up in Newry a couple of times. The customer services is exceptional (if compared with here). It doesn't matter if a customer is a dick. The level of help and politeness compared with shops down here even now in the middle of the recession when they're selling nothing here is streets ahead.

There are lots of nice staff down here and not every shop is bad but every customer service rep I've talked to in the North was friendly and helpful without exception. There are plenty of exceptions down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've worked in phone support myself and encountered all of the people you describe. I would still never refer to someone as a lazy retard for simply asking where the corn flakes are however.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Took a spin up to Enniskillen and I can now see what the fuss is about. GOD but we are been ripped apart.
    Spent about 10 minutes getting in and about 20 getting out but I bought probably 100 euros worth of wine for about 50 euros up there and 9 bottles of Lynx shower gel for 9 pounds!!! They must be 2.50 a piece down here.
    At least I will smell lovely when I am loaded drunk lol.

The staff were very nice, one lad must have seen my trolley full of bottles and what did he do, he went and got me a box off his own bat!!! Now that is sound out.

I will go back, I do have a tinge of regret I have to do it, but until someone sorts it out down here I will continue to go up there every month or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Never again.

Park in buttercrane, quays is always busy

It would be a pain in the arse dragging your full sainsburys trolley across the road. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I'd agree with this I've worked in phone support before and it would tell us where the calls were coming from. We'd have to take a deep breath when we saw it was from Ireland. Not all of the customers were bad obviously but you'd get a higher percentage of screamers and people who "knew their rights". The English customers were more likely to listen to you and accept reason.

However that's no excuse. I've been up in Newry a couple of times. The customer services is exceptional (if compared with here). It doesn't matter if a customer is a dick. The level of help and politeness compared with shops down here even now in the middle of the recession when they're selling nothing here is streets ahead.

There are lots of nice staff down here and not every shop is bad but every customer service rep I've talked to in the North was friendly and helpful without exception. There are plenty of exceptions down here.

I have found it is the Irish shop workers in the republic who are the rudest, the foreign workers here are much more friendlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 A-I-D-A-N

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a specific place they go to buy beers up there? If so what is the best place?

ASDA by far so cheap

also i got a callaway ft5 driver for 110 up in northern ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

yop wrote: »
    Took a spin up to Enniskillen and I can now see what the fuss is about. GOD but we are been ripped apart.
    Spent about 10 minutes getting in and about 20 getting out but I bought probably 100 euros worth of wine for about 50 euros up there and 9 bottles of Lynx shower gel for 9 pounds!!! They must be 2.50 a piece down here.
    At least I will smell lovely when I am loaded drunk lol.

The staff were very nice, one lad must have seen my trolley full of bottles and what did he do, he went and got me a box off his own bat!!! Now that is sound out.

I will go back, I do have a tinge of regret I have to do it, but until someone sorts it out down here I will continue to go up there every month or 2.

Went to Enniskillen, got my appliances all sorted for my new house, no delivery charge and a couple of hundred cheaper than at home for better appliances. Madness. Went to Asda, its great as its 24hour shopping. I was there at 9.30 and all shelfs well stocked, no empty shelves. Staff extremely friendly and no mahem of Newry a few weeks back. Well worth that little extra for hassle free. I'd support home too if we got such bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

So i was going to get a PS3 a few months back and was looking online

HMV do an 80GB with Killzone2 for £293. Compared to the prices in EUR thats about £100 cheaper than i've seen for sale in Euro pricing. Unfortunately i havent found anywhere willing to ship a console to here :(

I was wondering whether i could walk into a shop up North and pick it up for that price (or similar)? Or has anyone found a way to get their hands on one without paying €400 or whatever sort of junk they're charging in most places here.

Also, i considered a cheap flight over to England as an option, has anyone tried that/know in-store prices over the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

So i was going to get a PS3 a few months back and was looking online

HMV do an 80GB with Killzone2 for £293. Compared to the prices in EUR thats about £100 cheaper than i've seen for sale in Euro pricing. Unfortunately i havent found anywhere willing to ship a console to here :(

I was wondering whether i could walk into a shop up North and pick it up for that price (or similar)? Or has anyone found a way to get their hands on one without paying €400 or whatever sort of junk they're charging in most places here.

Also, i considered a cheap flight over to England as an option, has anyone tried that/know in-store prices over the water?

HMV are in the Quays in Newry and charge the same prices instore as they are online.

Game is in Buttercrane and has a similar deal, PS3 80gig, Killzone 2 and one of Fifa 09/Farcry/GTA IV for £309.99 - again should be available instore.

Whatever you decide to get, phone ahead to confirm stock and a lot of the stores will put the item by for you to collect. Definitely not worth flying to England when its 60miles up the road to shop in the same chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

HMV are in the Quays in Newry and charge the same prices instore as they are online.

Game is in Buttercrane and has a similar deal, PS3 80gig, Killzone 2 and one of Fifa 09/Farcry/GTA IV for £309.99 - again should be available instore.

Whatever you decide to get, phone ahead to confirm stock and a lot of the stores will put the item by for you to collect. Definitely not worth flying to England when its 60miles up the road to shop in the same chain.
    Ah tyvm :)

In-store prices same as online is excellent news! And you're right about checking stock first, i wouldnt have done that and knowing my luck... :(

If i was to go over to England i'd make a day of it, or even go away for the weekend or w/e. But ya, the North seems the best bet atm.

Ty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Picked up a PS3 in HMV in Newry last week, didnt seem to a problem with stock (Argos in Quays had none though!)

They had more offers than what was online also

For £293.61 you could get PS3 80GB with Killzone or else with Fifa 09 and either Little Big Planet, Motordrift Pacific and one other game which I cant remember - also a deal where you could get PS3, Batman blu ray, HDMI cable and either Fifa 09 or one of the other selected games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

£293? Thats a great deal, especially with the rate above 94p again, might get one myself. only bad thing about this thread, always tempting me to spend even more money lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

you'll always know when the rate is on it's way up again because it always happens a day or so after I do my shopping spree :rolleyes:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

noodler wrote: »
    High Horse get down from your.

It works both ways, lets not pretend all the South's problems are somehow down to our staff. Furthermore lets not pretend shoppers are going North for anything other than price, you think people are going to Sainsburys because the shop worker was more informative in the 10 different types of Corn Flakes available?

Yes the South can more than hold its own when it comes to ignorant and downright rude customers.

High horse? Don't think so...I stand by my post. There is nothing outlandish or unrealistic about expecting to be treated with courtesy from staff in a shop where you spend money.
    I've worked minimum wage service (bar/restaurant) and you didn't treat anyone like that ever, without a damn good reason.
    I personally am sick to death of going in to shops in the republic and being treated like an inconvenience to staff...supermarkets aren't the only offenders here either but since we're talking grocery specifically I'll stick with them.
    I go out of my way to be friendly when dealing with staff, but it's raely reciprocated...all I want is a please or a thank you and less of the scowl...for the life of me I can't see why that is too much to ask of anyone. The old adage of manners costing nothing.
    I realise that customers can be a PITA, rude, over expectant, pushy and all manner of other nastiness, but they're still customers and deserve to be treated as such within reason. No-one has a right to be abusive or nasty to staff, but until such time as I or anyone else treat those staff in such a manner, we deserve common courtesy.

Sure people go to the north for the prices...it's what I've been doing for years. But you know what? Although I want for the prices originally (which weren't as low as they are now) I stayed for the choice of goods and the way I was treated by shopfloor, till and CS staff. Maybe it's the sunnier disposition of northerners? Smiling seems to be their default exression and they give the impression that they actually like waht they're doing. Pack your bags at the checkout, don't talk to their colleagues over your head; basically they do what they can to make sure you'll come back...

You think I want to be driving 20 miles to go shopping? You think I want to see money and jobs leaving the country? I live within walking distance of at least two Irish multiples...but except for the staples (bread, milk, perishables), I buy very little in them because I don't like paying over the odds for items whilst at the same time being made to feel that I'm not valued as a customer, or in some cases being downright annoyed by my treatment by staff (whom I've given no reason to treat me as such). I'm not saying that the staff issue is my sole reason for avoiding shopping here, but is a contributing factor.
    Maybe the fault lies not with the lowly staff here either...maybe it's the fault of middle managment in failing to train and monitor staff performance, maybe it's a cultural thing borne out of the boom years that leads to staff (and customers) being rude or unfriendly...whatever it is it needs to be weeded out because right now NI is just a more pleasant place to shop...even when things are a bit crazy in certain stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

The euro has strengthened against the dollar and sterling over the last few days. Looks like we'll be getting 95 pennies for our euro before the days out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

corny wrote: »
    The euro has strengthened against the dollar and sterling over the last few days. Looks like we'll be getting 95 pennies for our euro before the days out!

Some of the shops in the Buttercrane Centre had signs up on Monday declaring €1.04 = £1

Still it is advisable to use cards or sterling cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Wertz wrote: »
    Maybe the fault lies not with the lowly staff here either...maybe it's the fault of middle managment in failing to train and monitor staff performance, maybe it's a cultural thing borne out of the boom years that leads to staff (and customers) being rude or unfriendly...whatever it is it needs to be weeded out because right now NI is just a more pleasant place to shop...even when things are a bit crazy in certain stores.

Think you are spot on there. Many years ago - before we were 'rich' - we didn't have to put up with rude staff, and customer service was something we were good at. I predict we will see a pretty fast change in attitude now! In the meantime, shopping in NI continues to be a pleasure both in the big multiples and the little family-owned shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

slave1 wrote: »
    you'll always know when the rate is on it's way up again because it always happens a day or so after I do my shopping spree :rolleyes:
    ...or a day or two after buying a new PC from a company based in the UK *facepalm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm from the north myself but I live and work in Dublin and was up home at the weekend. I was amazed how much cheaper wine is. I had a few orders from my friends to pick up. The wine I got normally sells for between €10-€12 euro a bottle down here and it worked out about €5 euro a bottle up home, that's after converting to euro's.

I know the Finance minister tried to guilt everyone by saying we are paying taxes to the Queen and stuff by shopping in the north. But to be honest, will anyone really give a f*** about that when the stuff is so cheap?

If they were really so worried about money going out of the country, they'd do something to prevent it (reduce duty and VAT etc). Instead, they just put the rates up. Sure they might as well be driving us across the border themselves. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Niamh78

The simple fact here is that the longer everyone goes up the north and spends their money in the UK the longer our economy down south will take to recover, all we are doing is aiding the UK's recovery. Granted its easy to preach but that's the truth of the matter. Don't whinge and say you are out of work and can't afford to shop down here when all your actions are doing is leading to more job losses in the south and further crippling our economy...
    I don't blame anyone for going up north but don't whinge about our lack of recovery when all the disposable we have is leaking north. Every euro spent down south helps everyone; employers, employees, government coffers etc etc

Advertisement