Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is no Tesco in the Newry area. The nearest is Banbridge.

Thanks for that i thought as much but then a friend told me there is a Tesco in the buttercrane thought i might be able to save myself a drive next trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tony Soprano101

Going up North for first time. Looking to buy Camcorder and any random bargains I can get my hands on. Can someone recommend a good location for Electronic stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

RiverWilde wrote: »
    I was in asda at 8 am or thereabouts yesterday - it was busy then - by midday it was insane. For all that, my wife and I can put up with a bit of insanity for the prices.

I'm waiting for the January Sales - I want to get some new clothes, shoes, trousers etc. The way I look at it is that if the prices are this good now what will they be like in a few weeks time?

Riv

at 3pm it was empty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

there has been plenty of debate and advice on here on the best way to pay for your goods for me it has to be cash in euro especially when your getting 90p and you get your change in stg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

How much are we talking here? Were they small amounts?

any transaction will add £0.70 if pay by credit cards,
    be it £1 or £100 bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

In Sainsburys Newry yesterday: €1 - £0.90
    In O'Neills GAA shop: €1 - £0.80
    Also went to Bandbridge outlet where Nike had some good 50% off items.

Sainsburys:
    John Smiths - £9 for 15 x 500ml cans
    Boddingtons - £5 for 6 x 500ml cans
    Tiger beer - £3 for 4 x 300ml
    Powerade - £2.80 for 4 bottles
    No reductions in miller/bulmers - cheaper down here
    Spirits a good bit cheaper in general, roughly €17-20 a litre for most decent whiskys/gins

O'Neills selling GAA jerseys for half price after conversion, got one for €22.
    Nike in Banbridge has a sale in ACG and most football/running gear.

Also regarding the travel costs people are debating in the media.
    Up and down on less than a half tank, left Stillorgan at 10:45 yesterday morning, was in Newry at 12:05.
    Banbridge another 10-15 mins up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

In Sainsburys Newry yesterday: €1 - £0.90
    In O'Neills GAA shop: €1 - £0.80
    Also went to Bandbridge outlet where Nike had some good 50% off items.

Sainsburys:
    John Smiths - £9 for 15 x 500ml cans
    Boddingtons - £5 for 6 x 500ml cans
    Tiger beer - £3 for 4 x 300ml
    Powerade - £2.80 for 4 bottles
    No reductions in miller/bulmers - cheaper down here
    Spirits a good bit cheaper in general, roughly €17-20 a litre for most decent whiskys/gins

O'Neills selling GAA jerseys for half price after conversion, got one for €22.
    Nike in Banbridge has a sale in ACG and most football/running gear.

Also regarding the travel costs people are debating in the media.
    Up and down on less than a half tank, left Stillorgan at 10:45 yesterday morning, was in Newry at 12:05.
    Banbridge another 10-15 mins up the road.

90p rate is no use if sainsburys are generally the most expensive

and the miller/bulmers issue shows that trips up north can potentially go pear-shaped

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Here is my very first complaint about IKEA
    they charge 70p for credit card transaction
    too much!!!

I had 2 transaction, so already got charged for 1.40 for nothing:mad:

That has been Ikea's policy forallcredit card transactions for the past few years in all their stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

My general experience of my Northern shopping trip last Monday has left a bad taste in my mouth. Like any "shopping" or "tourist" destination, I think you need to be very wary of retailers, as the smell of money seems to be tainting their ethics as this trend continues. I have had to make 3 calls back to shops I bought stuff in about things that I really shouldn't have had to consider before I left the repective shops with goods, and now need to go back to both Newry and Banbridge to TRY and exchange stuff I bought:

The first was HMV in The Quays - I spent 10 minutes waiting for the "assistant" (no assistance provided, at all) to find the right contents of the box set I was buying as a present for my nephew (Time Crisis 4). After this it took her a few minutes to get the box open, after which she ducked out of view and TORE the top of it open, she eventually found the gun. I obviously wasn't paying as close attention as I should've been, as she spent a few minutes looking for the actual game before deciding that the gun on it's own was enough and sent me on my way. I only discovered this out in the car park. I subsequently figured out (back in Dublin) that the sensors required to play the game were not included, so it's a different xmas pressie for the nephew than I planned. I'll prob be able to change it on Grafton st, but that's time out of my day.

The second was 6 Van Heusen shirts I bought in the outlet in Banbridge. After trying on a size test shirt, myself and the (very nice) shop assistant (manager?) reconciled I was a 16" neck. I picked 6 colours and she off's to pick out the respective size and styles for me, and bags them up without me ever even touching them. I discovered this morning that I have 5 x 17.5's and a 15.5. They look ridiculous on me, like sheets crudely stapled together into shirts. This wasn't a mistake in my mind, as she didn't seem to have many sizes left in the styles I picked out.

Third was an ipod touch 32gb I bought in same HMV (don't ask me why I went back). I only discovered when I got back to Dub that the packaging had already been opened, and there were no Ipod earphones with it. This would be no biggy as I bought a decent pair of in-ear ones there, but the thing had a britney spears album on it, and it was named "Clara". It also seems to have massive freeze issues.

I can accept a certain level of responsibility to check stuff before leaving a store, but when it's bagged n tagged for you it's tough to do when carrying a rake of shopping bags etc. I think that retailers up there are adopting a view that they can get away with this as Southern shoppers are only in town for the day, and pursuing a recourse is just too inconvenient a thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sarah.Wu

Hey guys, I was looking for any brand products in Belfast, such as Armani or Prada, Is there anyone know where can buy them????

I look around in Brown Thomas in Dublin, I found a beautiful tie by Armani, but it's 100 euro. So, I want to know if Belfast has Armani shop, that would be cheaper in Dublin.

So, anyone can help? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

There is a House of Fraser in Belfast... don't know would they sell what you are looking for?

If not, maybe try this place in Lisburn http://www.carterclothing.com/ I just got the link by typing Armani Belfast into Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

consultech wrote: »
    CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

Third was an ipod touch 32gb I bought in same HMV (don't ask me why I went back). I only discovered when I got back to Dub that the packaging had already been opened, and there were no Ipod earphones with it. This would be no biggy as I bought a decent pear of in-ear ones there, but the thing had a britney spears album on it, and it was named "Clara". It also seems to have massive freeze issues.

I would make them pay for that. The fact it was used at all and the most heinous crime of a Britney Spears album on it. :eek: I would take it back for a refund. Someone obviously used it before you and found it faulty but HMV decided it was good enough for you.

I would not let them away with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I would make them pay for that. The fact it was used at all and the most heinous crime of a Britney Spears album on it. :eek: I would take it back for a refund. Someone obviously used it before you and found it faulty but HMV decided it was good enough for you.

Well needless to say I won't be - I intend on screwing them against the wall for it. I'm just waiting for them to blame me for the issues as it's my word v their's, but the date the content was added is black and white - 1 week before I bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sarah.Wu

johnfás wrote: »
    There is a House of Fraser in Belfast... don't know would they sell what you are looking for?

If not, maybe try this place in Lisburn http://www.carterclothing.com/ I just got the link by typing Armani Belfast into Google.

Thanks.
    I checked House of Fraser, But i dont think they sell tie and bag of armani etc, that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    .. complaint about IKEA .. charge 70p for credit card transaction .. charged for 1.40 for nothing:mad:

For nothing ? You were charged £1.40 for the convenience of paying by plastic, for the convenience of not having to carry wads of sterling.

Cheap at twice the price, IMHO.

Sarah.Wu wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I checked House of Fraser, But i dont think they sell tie and bag of armani etc, that kind of stuff.

try www.victoriasquare.com. Phone customer service to find out anything not covered on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

90p rate is no use if sainsburys are generally the most expensive

and the miller/bulmers issue shows that trips up north can potentially go pear-shaped

Sainsburys are more expensive yes than Asda for example. But they are still cheaper than any comparable shop down here.

If one is just going up for the beer, thats a hit and miss affair.

Generally the rule is the packs of beer that are offered down here are competitive to the beer offered up there. (that Tesco/Supervalu Guinness/Bud limited offer for example and the occasionally Miller bottle slabs.) Getting non-packs of beer is cheaper up there i have found.

Overall, the message should be is that if one going up for beer alone, one could end up being foolish. Get your spirits, groceries, clothing, pressies as well and you will find lots of savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

What is the nearest Asda from Lisburn?
    I am travelling from Dublin and will be shopping in Sprucefield but wanted to also shop in Asda for drink. Is the Asda in Belfast my best bet and is it a decent sized store?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I went to Sprucefield (outside Lisburn) on Saturday. Place was pretty empty, was nice for a change! Kept away from Newry, there was no need to go near the place.
    Got a Wii for £244 (about €280) - Wii console, Wii Play (with extra controller), Mario Kart and an extra wheel.
    Got another thing in Argos - €200 here, £127 with a £10 voucher.

Dexterm99 wrote: »

www.asda.co.uk

Report back with how you get on ;)

• Advertisement

TarfHead wrote: »
    www.asda.co.uk

Report back with how you get on ;)

Would you not think that I tried that first?

I'm looking for some advice. Anyone can post a website.

Asda Westwood may be the best. The one in Belfast looks like it is a small store.

Would you not think that I tried that first?

I'm looking for some advice. Anyone can post a website.

Asda Westwood may be the best. The one in Belfast looks like it is a small store.

The ASDA website includes a store locator service which lists, in ascending order of distance the 'nearest Asda from Lisburn'.

The answer to your question is on the ASDA website. Yet you think travelling to the one that is the 5th nearest to Lisburn is the one you want to visit. Which is not the question you asked :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

I am travelling from Dublin and will be shopping in Sprucefield but wanted to also shop in Asda for drink. Is the Asda in Belfast my best bet and is it a decent sized store?
    there's one closer to newry, more or less over the water from dundalk. kilkeel i think the place is called

TarfHead wrote: »
    The ASDA website includes a store locator service which lists, in ascending order of distance the 'nearest Asda from Lisburn'.

The answer to your question is on the ASDA website. Yet you think travelling to the one that is the 5th nearest to Lisburn is the one you want to visit. Which is not the question you asked :rolleyes:

Some of us do actually research these things before we post ;) I'd already been to asda.co.uk but it's not clear from their site what the store size and levels of alcohol are like. Obviously Belfast is the nearest. The question I asked is based on closeness to Lisburn and size. The Belfast store does not have the selection that some other stores do.

poindexter wrote: »
    there's one closer to newry, more or less over the water from dundalk. kilkeel i think the place is called

Thanks Poindexter. According to an earlier post, Kilkeel appears to be tiny :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Take it back pronto, and also demand compensation for your travel costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks Poindexter. According to an earlier post, Kilkeel appears to be tiny :(
    It is tiny, don't waste your time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was in Derry today and needed to get some more sterling so I used my Ulster Bank cash card at the ATM and if its of any benefit to anyone £200 cost me €236.48.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

kleefarr wrote: »
    Interesting.
    I wonder if 321654 is trying to put people off?
    I'll make my own mind up when I go Wednesday.

Not at all. By all means go and take advantage of the prices. they really are worth going for. But i wasnt expecting the traffic at all. I go up once a month and it was way worse than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

just back from enniskillen, got there at 9am , place was empty,went to asda aisles not busy ,loads of stock , filled 3 trolley loads, one full of booze like 15xmiller bottles,20xcorrs light were 8 sterling each, baileys 1 litre 14 sterling ,great food bargains like box roses and usa biccys for fiver each, staff were more than helpful considering i had 3 trolleys ,2 staff help bag all the shopping and very chatty saying they were never as busy, had lunch i.e sandwich,tea and cake for 5 people only a tenner in asda cafe, definately worth going to asda but get there before 9am as i left after more shopping round town at 3pm and asda car park was jammed with southern reg cars...

Advertisement