Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Dooish wrote: »
    at 3pm it was empty

i'm wondering if people are putting thmselves through undue stress going earlier and earlier in the mornings.

i can understand wanting to get home before dark, but i would have thought that by 4pm/5pm, shalves would be re-stocked, and the vast majority of ROI shoppers would already be gone home, as well as little traffic coming into newry, or wherever people are likely to be shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

i'm wondering if people are putting thmselves through undue stress going earlier and earlier in the mornings.

i can understand wanting to get home before dark, but i would have thought that by 4pm/5pm, shalves would be re-stocked, and the vast majority of ROI shoppers would already be gone home, as well as little traffic coming into newry, or wherever people are likely to be shopping?
    its true newry was very quiet saturday afternoon everyone wants to get down early and the roads and shops can be crazy but the problem with afternoon shopping is that the shelves can be empty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

£200 cost me €236.48.

That's 0.8457, 2.5% off the current spot rate which is about right.
    but i would have thought that by 4pm/5pm, shalves would be re-stocked, and the vast majority of ROI shoppers would already be gone home,

Wonder when the locals do their shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It seems they only restock at night, hence all the early starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

RoisinD wrote: »
    That has been Ikea's policy forallcredit card transactions for the past few years in all their stores.

Which is very wrong! But as you said this is their policy, take it or leave it:(

but another thing is also true that not all shops have charges like that

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    Well needless to say I won't be - I intend on screwing them against the wall for it. I'm just waiting for them to blame me for the issues as it's my word v their's, but the date the content was added is black and white - 1 week before I bought it

I say you must go there and chat to Manager and officialy complain it,
    They have to listen to you irrespective of where you coming from,
    Let us know how did you go and I will also shoot them a mail and i am sure other boardies too,

Waiting for customer rep to come etc are normal thing here also but the fact is that you have not been given the item you looked for,
    go and ask them i am sure they will return it. You just need to speak up,

\Yes, it will take a day of you but compensate it by buying 6 more bacardi or s'off,
    go for it!
    I have full sympathy for you...it feels a big s**** when after travelling all the way you see like that, has happened to me a lot in south on clothing but i also double checked it all the times.

TarfHead wrote: »
    For nothing ? You were charged £1.40 for the convenience of paying by plastic, for the convenience of not having to carry wads of sterling.

Cheap at twice the price, IMHO.

Just checked my credit card bill, BOI charged me 1 euro= 0.8441Stg on one ocation and 1 euro=0.8424 on other, so thats OK
    convenience of paying by plastic

this term was dead in 2000, CC these days are a business tools and more requirement for shop keepers rather for customer,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

Hi All,

Popped up to Richer Sounds in Belfast and cashed in on some MAJOR BARGAINS and used my Permanent TSB visa card to pay in Sterling.
    Rang Visa Dept today and got even better news:
    Rate worked out at 85.44 pence in the Euro including commission fees.
    Really chuffed and even managed to get some cheap shopping in Sprucefield.

Cheers,
    Freebee23

after i finished my shopping in sainsburys last sunday decided to avail of the 90pto the € so i returned to a checkout on 3 separate occasions with a small item each accompanied with a €50 note best bureau de change ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smitty1979

Hi,
    Been reading through the posts, anyone gone up north from galway? Where would be best to head for? Time, roads, and stuff to make it as pain free as possible. Can go thursday this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

after i finished my shopping in sainsburys last sunday decided to avail of the 90pto the € so i returned to a checkout on 3 separate occasions with a small item each accompanied with a €50 note best bureau de change ever

so for the €1=£1 places, if you buy a pack of chewing gum with a €50 note, they give you back £49 or so? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It seems they only restock at night, hence all the early starts.

most stores 24 hours re stocking the shelves, the issue with empty shelves in asda is that the staff can not get at the shelves to restock them

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

smitty1979 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Been reading through the posts, anyone gone up north from galway? Where would be best to head for? Time, roads, and stuff to make it as pain free as possible. Can go thursday this week?

enniskillen would be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

so for the €1=£1 places, if you buy a pack of chewing gum with a €50 note, they give you back £49 or so? :eek:
    I think they are well wise to that sort of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

thought i'd have a quick look this morning as we are dropping the girls to creche early and heading up to newry - must go and wake hubby up! i've been awake since 6.11 as that's when our little girl wakes and i could hear her moving things around so i got up knowing that we were going to newry early this morning so thought i'd get a head start

like the exchange bureau idea!

re CC, do have a permanent tsb one but would i be better off getting sterling out of atm when up there or just bringing euro?

the euro for pound places will usually give euro change

tregan wrote: »
    thought i'd have a quick look this morning as we are dropping the girls to creche early and heading up to newry - must go and wake hubby up! i've been awake since 6.11 as that's when our little girl wakes and i could hear her moving things around so i got up knowing that we were going to newry early this morning so thought i'd get a head start

like the exchange bureau idea!

re CC, do have a permanent tsb one but would i be better off getting sterling out of atm when up there or just bringing euro?
    why go to a bureau when the will only give you 82-85p when your € cash will get you 90p at the till in places or even parity in a select few places remember cash is king

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

smitty1979 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Got to Enniskillen yesterday about 9:30am. I went through Sligo town about 8:15am so that will give you idea of time. Just follow the signs for Enniskillen (through Manorhamilton). The road is not good though from Sligo. When you get to Enniskileen, follow the signs for the town centre (turning right over the bridge) and you will 1st pass Erneside S.C. then Asda & Tesco.

Parked up at Asda no problem. It was relatively quiet there but beginning to fill up. BY 11:00am it was quite busy. I could only face the queue at the register once so headed for Tesco across the parking lot.

Empty spaces all over Teco car park. No queues. No mayhem. It was great. I really don't see what all the fuss is about ASDA.

It was worth the trip. Do your homework on the web before you go. Asda take Laser card, Tesco don't. ATM outside ASDA though.

One thing I have to say is ... the staff in any of the shops I was in yesterday would lose and find us down here in terms of helpfulness, etc. Really noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Stella Artois 24x440ml in Sainsburys £12.99,, cant beat that for a premium beer anywhere...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

holly8 wrote: »
    ....One thing I have to say is ... the staff in any of the shops I was in yesterday would lose and find us down here in terms of helpfulness, etc. Really noticeable difference.

Never heard this term before, where they good or bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

321654 wrote: »
    Not at all. By all means go and take advantage of the prices. they really are worth going for. But i wasnt expecting the traffic at all. I go up once a month and it was way worse than usual.

I'm off up there tomorrow morning. Will leave about 5am, so not expecting much in the way of traffic at all. Fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

muincav wrote: »
    Stella Artois 24x440ml in Sainsburys £12.99,, cant beat that for a premium beer anywhere...:D

You have just made my Christmas!! (Well, indirectly. Sainsburys have really.)
    :D

Never heard this term before, where they good or bad?

The term "lose & find"?? It means beat us hands down everytime, i.e. much, much better than ...

Just thought that customer service was much better in Enniskillen (than Galway where I live). And even though shops were mad busy, staff were really helpful. And friendly.

I feel for the locals though trying to get about their daily business - how could you even go shopping or plan for school or childminder pick-ups??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

We've been stealing your fuel for years, its your turn now, I personally think its great, sure who doesnt love a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

freebee23 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Popped up to Richer Sounds in Belfast and cashed in on some MAJOR BARGAINS and used my Permanent TSB visa card to pay in Sterling.
    Rang Visa Dept today and got even better news:
    Rate worked out at 85.44 pence in the Euro including commission fees.
    Really chuffed and even managed to get some cheap shopping in Sprucefield.

Cheers,
    Freebee23

Hi Freebie,
    was thinking of doing the same what time and day did you go ...
    did you see any sony w series tvs... want to tell us what you got , hope thats not too cheeky
    thanks

We've been stealing your fuel for years, its your turn now, I personally think its great, sure who doesnt love a bargain.

I think locals down here would already have started complaining about traffic, etc if the situation was reversed. Anyone I spoke to yesterday was lovely - where are you from? have you been up here before? are you enjoying it? etc, etc

And thanks HairyFairy - I used your map from pages & pages ago on this forum. You might know - Is there only 1 river crossng in Enniskillen?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

holly8 wrote: »
    One thing I have to say is ... the staff in any of the shops I was in yesterday would lose and find us down here in terms of helpfulness, etc. Really noticeable difference.

100% agree with ya - In Newry Friday last and it hit me in the face how friendly and helpful they all are. Also no monkeys (security guards) on the doors of every shop you walk in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Also no monkeys (security guards) on the doors of every shop you walk in.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Anyone know if the Quays Newry is busy midweek evenings?
    Cheers
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

if you buy a pack of chewing gum with a €50 note, they give you back £49 or so

No chance unfortunately, it's only 90p for goods bought.
    Also no monkeys (security guards) on the doors of every shop you walk in.

Not a very clear comment :eek:

Advertisement