Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In view of the sausage shortage we will need to add sausages and rashers to the lists.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bond-007 wrote: »
    In view of the sausage shortage we will need to add sausages and rashers to the lists.
    Yeah, it's something we didn't buy was fresh meats.

Had I known about the pork issues, I'd have bought a pile of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭granturismo

Sat 7th. Sainsburys Armagh gave 90p per euro at the till (and 5% off any 6 bottles of wine), M&S rate was 82p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    THE BEST REPLY OF THE THRED, MODERATOR, I REQUEST THIS REPLY TO BE POPPPED UP ON EVERY PAGE, OR IF NOT THAN JUST THE EXCEL SHEET< SUPER WORK,
    HATS OFF< NOW I AM FULLY ALIGNED THAT JOINING BOARDS IN 2003 WAS A GOOD DECISION, THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST FORUM SITE IN IRELAND OR MAYBE EUROPE AND TRUST ME, I AM A COMP NERD AND SEARCH ALL OVER THE WORLD....THIS IS THE BEST REPLY.
    BOARDS RULES, BOARDS RULES

I am campaigning for a dedicated Northern Ireland Bargains Forum, I didn't see your support in the forum request thread, anybody who would like to see a Northern Ireland Bargains Forum please show your support at the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't think we necessarily need a NI BA forum. Though, I could be wrong and open to correction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

i know its been mentioned on here but cant find it where abouts is it that there is a tesco and asda next to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

i know its been mentioned on here but cant find it where abouts is it that there is a tesco and asda next to each other

Enniskillen

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Any more word on the price/deals on xbox's up there. How do they fair in comparison to the irish deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

87 pages - wow!! Hope Cowan sees this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

muffler wrote: »
    Probably this
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    http://xe.com I would assume.

I was just hoping the poster would clarify what they mean by official.

Quoting spot rates is just wrong and misleading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

bush Baby wrote: »

Think he'll be more preoccupied by the lack of a fry-up in fornt of him this morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

bush Baby wrote: »

I only make it 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Turnip2000 wrote: »
    Any more word on the price/deals on xbox's up there. How do they fair in comparison to the irish deals?
    In Argos here it costs €230/ In Argos in NI it costs £162.85 = €190 approx.

In GAME (online) you can buy a lot of bundles like this for £148.49 which is approx. €175

I assume that the bricks and mortar GAME shops sell at the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

kleefarr wrote: »
    I only make it 33.

Depends on your ''posts per page'' setting I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Quoting spot rates is just wrong and misleading.

Unless you're a Bank otherwise you can add/subtract approx 2.5% to the current spot rate to get the rate the comsumer will get.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Depends on your ''posts per page'' setting I assume

Ah. Didn't know you could change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

On the exchange/spot rate debate, I went up North on 20 Nov. Bought a few (actually a shed load) of furniture from Ikea and paid with laser and then went to Curry's and paid with American Express. Here are the exchange rates compared:

XE.com 0.847075
    Laser/AIB 0.833132 (1.6% lower rate spent around 450 stg)
    AMEX 0.821692 (3% lower rate - spent around 100 stg)

There were no extra charges on either.
    Having said that, I saved some serious money on a buggy in Argos. In Ireland it is quoted at 189.99. Got the same one in Belfast for 99.99 stg, or €121.72, or 36% less, or double the fuel cost for the trip if you prefer.

just home from sprucefield did the shopping in sainsburys they ere giving 90p brilliant value matteus rose wine 3 for a tenner bought 6 any got a further 5% off works out about €3.60 a bottle but for me the vast contast in prices was outlined when we went in to the cafe and got a large late large coke and a bun for £2.67 or €2.97 you wouldn't get the late for that price in any shopping center in the south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

omg. The traffic on the way to sprucefield.

The place was jammers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I was in asda at 8 am or thereabouts yesterday - it was busy then - by midday it was insane. For all that, my wife and I can put up with a bit of insanity for the prices.

I'm waiting for the January Sales - I want to get some new clothes, shoes, trousers etc. The way I look at it is that if the prices are this good now what will they be like in a few weeks time?

Riv

• Advertisement

321654 wrote: »
    omg. The traffic on the way to sprucefield.

The place was jammers

god I left Dundalk at 11:40 was in sprucefield by 12:30 there was a small queue waiting outside but nothing major waited in the car till doors opened shopped in peace and no more than two in any checkout queue I heard newry was quiet yesterday afternoon after the early morning rush

god I left Dundalk at 11:40 was in sprucefield by 12:30 there was a small queue waiting outside but nothing major waited in the car till doors opened shopped in peace and no more than two in any checkout queue I heard newry was quiet yesterday afternoon after the early morning rush

Interesting.
    I wonder if 321654 is trying to put people off?
    I'll make my own mind up when I go Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Lads,

Just a quick note for those of you going into belfast city centre. There is a car park behind the castlecourt one which charges something like £3 for all day parking. It is beside a little church across the road from the back of the castlecourt carpark. It also has a full time attendant and believe me no-one or nothing gets past him so your car and belongings will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

XE.com 0.847075
    Laser/AIB 0.833132 (1.6% lower rate spent around 450 stg)
    AMEX 0.821692 (3% lower rate - spent around 100 stg)

AFAIK the cc companies (if it's like the Banks) can only take a certain % off the "Spot rate".
    Might be worth while having a chat some government department about it (not sure which one though).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

okidoki987 wrote: »
    AFAIK the cc companies (if it's like the Banks) can only take a certain % off the "Spot rate".
    Might be worth while having a chat some government department about it (not sure which one though).

If using Visa, you can check their rate online before you go shopping. Todays rate is €1 = £0.85

[Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

DonJose wrote: »
    I am campaigning for a dedicated Northern Ireland Bargains Forum, I didn't see your support in the forum request thread, anybody who would like to see a Northern Ireland Bargains Forum please show your support at the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

Just Did

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Here is my very first complaint about IKEA
    they charge 70p for credit card transaction
    too much!!!

I had 2 transaction, so already got charged for 1.40 for nothing:mad:

How much are we talking here? Were they small amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Can i ask is there a tesco in newry i didnt notice one when i was up there i ended up driving to tesco in banbridge

• Advertisement

There is no Tesco in the Newry area. The nearest is Banbridge.

Advertisement