Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

jackie.du wrote: »
    I am heading to north tomorrow morning. but not newry.went to newry last week and it's packed.so need all of your advise where is the best place to get food and electronics stuff. I've love somewhere where adas and saitsbury are not too far away.also can any one advise where I can find a saitsbury service station on the way to fill my car I know they are doing a 5P off offer as you spend over 50 pound. also, any one know if the sales in the north already started?[/quote

What is adas? i take it saitsbury is sainsburys. It gonna be cheaper filling up here diesel 95c petrol still around 98c due to fall again soon. Everyday is a sale up north compared to down here.
    Go through the last 10 pages to find out where to go. Also i think there is another request forum and saves this topic from repeating itself, before you know it, it'll be 200 pages + about where to go,where to get best exchange rate in shops, what shops do what etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭madscone

just back from a shoppin trip up north, went to forestside(sainsburys), westwood(asda), bow street in lisburn and the quays on the way home.

Sainsburys were doing 0.89p to the euro but asda were only doing 0.82! so obviously paid euro in sainsburys and by laser(maestro) in asda.

I'd avoid sainsburys newry, place was destroyed by closing today, god only knows what it'll be like tmmrw. well worth goin the extra few miles to belfast, forestside is a great shopping centre.

asda in westwood had coores and miller for £8 with harp tennants bud carlsburg and stella on pallets too. not as nice as sainsburys for shopping but thats just my opinion.

anyway this thread saved me a fortune today so big thanks for all the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 collei

i went to enniskillen yesterday and saved an absolute fourtune on electronics toys and booze,i worked it out when i got home and we roughly saved about 150-200 euro:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

"Bread I've found can be a bit more expensive (depending on brand)."

was in asda and found hovis to be less expensive than in the south and better variety of types. the person that someone mentioned on the last word saying a saving of 2euro per basket!
    For example, Rubicon mango, passion fruit, or guava juice in 1 litre, down in the ripoff land costs around 2.30euro in the north every supermarket i have been in is at 99p=for example even at an olde xchange rate of 77c works out at 1.286 euro.
    Hmmm just under half the difference for one item.
    Of course some things are going to be dearer, for example fresh meat i find cheaper than the uk supermarkets. Alot of Uk residents have noticed that the butchers are cheaper over here and cheaper than the big supermarkets.
    If you walk around the stores, look at the prices and have a basic exchange rate in your head of every pound you see is worth 1euro 20c then you cannot go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

a few food saving i made in asda enisk last monday
    ive already added my alcohol savings on page 74

Dunno what the likes of this stuff costs here except that its
    considerably more

2x12 cans of coke £6

in the asda brand frozen section of finger foods:
    mini pizzas £1
    chicken skewers £1
    duck rolls £1
    Pizzas 3 for £4 or £1.35each
    lamb kofta £1

chicken tonite £1
    kerrymaid 1kg £2.63
    bisto granules 2 for £2
    breaded chicken escalopes 2for£3 (4 in each pack) pretty tasteless tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

newmills wrote: »
    Hi Sudo,

Glad to hear you made it up and down in one piece. Hope you enjoyed a hassle free shop in mid-ulster. Makes the slightly longer journey worth it!!

Yup, great day out.... next time might travel without the kids tho... too much travelling for them.

Saved all the receipts for comparison, but out of a €900 shop - we deffo saved a packet... dont know how much exactly, but on drink alone I imagine we saved well over €100.

Once Christmas is over, will prob go the Newry route again, the trek via the N2 seemed to drag on (got stuck behind trucks, tractors, roadworks etc)... Was driving an MPV, so the ability to overtake at a whim isnt possible.

But thanks for the advice, deffo the no-hassle route.... nice to see a part of the country we never saw before too ;)

Sudo911.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Is there any nice hotels near the shopping centres in Newry? Considering making an overnight trip altogether for the sales rather than driving for 7 or 8 hours from Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are better off going to Belafast so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

buzz55 wrote: »
    Is there any nice hotels near the shopping centres in Newry? Considering making an overnight trip altogether for the sales rather than driving for 7 or 8 hours from Galway.
    canal court is the pick of them good leisure facilities and a good bar in the heart of town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

madscone wrote: »
    just back from a shoppin trip up north, went to forestside(sainsburys), westwood(asda), bow street in lisburn and the quays on the way home.

Sainsburys were doing 0.89p to the euro but asda were only doing 0.82! so obviously paid euro in sainsburys and by laser(maestro) in asda.

Wow! Thats a huge difference between Sainsburys and Asda. I was up in Enniskillen last Sunday and Asda were doing 82p and Tesco were doing 84p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

gazzer wrote: »
    Wow! Thats a huge difference between Sainsburys and Asda. I was up in Enniskillen last Sunday and Asda were doing 82p and Tesco were doing 84p.

The official price is 1e=87p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

buzz55 wrote: »

How much do you expect to save after providing for travel, accommodation, and meals? Do you think it will be a good return on the time you spend?

It pays to pay in sterling cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is there much of a saving for buying cosmetics like Dermalogica across the border?

We always do our monthly shopping in Newry and we will have to go up to get the last bits and pieces (and boooze) for crimbo.

I wouldnt mind stocking up on cosmetics as I would usually spend the guts of €150 down here for 6 months..

Anyone know if there are any savings to be made??

Four words - Get thee to Boots. Compare prices on www.boots.co.uk to what you usually get.
    My other half bought half the shop including lots of cosmetics when we were up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The official price is 1e=87p
    What official price are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Head to Sainsburys in Lisburn this morning.

The road up was a bit busier than it was 3 weeks ago, but still generally quiet.

Got to Sainsburys at 8am. 50/50 between Northern reg and Republic regs in the car park.

Once the doors opened at 8am, there was a small queue at the door...the vast majority of which headed to the beer/spirits section.

They had an offer on 1lt of Smirnoff/Bacardi/Gin for £14. (Smirnoff selling for Eur26.99 down here)
    Pretty much all the Bacardi and Smirnoff was gone from the shelves after an hour...and there was a lot of it there to start with.

The staff were struggling to keep the beer and wines that were on special stocked up.

The supermarket in general was quiet...a LOT quieter than Newry! You could spot the people up from the Republic a mile off. They either had just one trolley full of drink...or were trying to manage two trollies over-flowing with food/nappies/drink.

Some bargains of note:

Jamie Olivers new book £12.99 (Eur14.96) - it's selling in Easons for Eur24.99

Bag of carrots 50p

Dentyl Mouth Wash was buy one, get one free £2.99 (it's around Eur4.50 or so in Dunnes)

8 Kiwi fruits £1.00

Flora Pro-Activ £1.83 (Eur 2.10) I think this is around Eur4.00 here!

Sainsburys Asprin (16) 23p
    Sainsburys Ibuprofen (12) 32p
    Multi Vitamin Tablets (30) £1.05
    Garlic Tablets (90) £1.03

Picked up some cheap vino too - Chateauneuf de Pape selling for 10.99 up there. Usually sells for around Eur20 down here.
    EDIT - notice its on special off in Supervalu next week for Eur13.99

Popped into The Outlet in Banbridge on the way back. Some good shops there. Picked up a some t-shirts and shoes. Worth a look if you are passing.
    Place was pretty deserted!

Passed through Newry around 11am. Didnt seem to be ant traffic problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,955 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Probably this

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

milly4ever wrote: »
    Well, cool boxes work well for me. and the south IS a rip-off.

good man! what a reply,:) hats off to you for opening people's eyes

Bluetonic wrote: »
    http://xe.com I would assume.

gurramok wrote: »
    Your too far away :)

The nearer you live to the border, the more benefit it is. Cars usually do 9miles a litre so doing a bit of sums at 160mi each way, you need 35 litres of petrol which is about 35euro down here.

So basically, if you save more than 35euro, your saving. The more you buy for lets say the month, the more you save.

I'd second what sudi said. I bought 22 packets of frozen/fridge stuff and they were still cold in my cool bags by the time i got back to dublin at 8pm(bought items at 1pm). Cold weather helps as well :D

Agree, it might not be worth unless you have a store room and buying 2 months stock, However, I am so bore with my local shopping and i am going to north for the last 5 years and suddenly this thread is rushing like "taxes"....
    If you are also bored and wants some new look, my advise
    is:
    book a b&b near belfast and enjoy couple of days, you will surely save worth B&b bills and dinner/lunch expenses,

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    This has to be one of the best posts if not the best in this thread. I decided to pull it up again for the benefit of people just entering the thread as they would most likely have missed it.

Just bear in mind that it was posted over 5 weeks ago so the savings would be substantially more now.

THE BEST REPLY OF THE THRED, MODERATOR, I REQUEST THIS REPLY TO BE POPPPED UP ON EVERY PAGE, OR IF NOT THAN JUST THE EXCEL SHEET< SUPER WORK,
    HATS OFF< NOW I AM FULLY ALIGNED THAT JOINING BOARDS IN 2003 WAS A GOOD DECISION, THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST FORUM SITE IN IRELAND OR MAYBE EUROPE AND TRUST ME, I AM A COMP NERD AND SEARCH ALL OVER THE WORLD....THIS IS THE BEST REPLY.
    BOARDS RULES, BOARDS RULES

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

gurramok wrote: »
    Four words - Get thee to Boots. Compare prices on www.boots.co.uk to what you usually get.
    My other half bought half the shop including lots of cosmetics when we were up there!

Yea Boots is pretty cool, I have also signed up for the advantage card..

But I was looking specifically for a place that sells Dermalogica products and usually they are only available in selected salons/retailers..

Anyone know or would your mrs know??:D

Started at 13:00 passed Newry at 13:45 no traffic jam
    Straight to WESTWOOD Asda, not many south reg cars, only spotted 0 of them among approx 300.
    Misus went there to buy cloths for kids but said Penneys has more choice and cheaper too ..... (May be for kids, she has a different formula...maybe beacude Kids grow up every month and no point buying Euro50 jeans for them for 1 month)
    Anyway, was there on wednesday and reported 5p difference between Asda on Sainsbury on Kingfisher beer:eek::eek::eek: today it was pricing same Stg.1.98, spend one hour and saw next trolley buying 3 box of stella, 2 box of coorslight and approx 20 bottle of Bacardi and no issue of limitations (so earlier post of limiting a per customer is no more in question)..another person was buying a trolley full of booze ..both customer were from south as we almost left at the samle time. Stella box was for stg 8 as offer

Left for Sprucefield sainsbury and was a bit quite. good number of south reg car and plenty of whiskey/rum and other beers but no Corona...
    and found same kind of difference, we only spent stg 100 :confused: but we are so fedup with Tesco that kids almost find this a picnic and a different atmosphere,
    If you want to buy a good TV, you can easiliy 500 to 600 euro on a good TV.

Rgds

AC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Wanted to say thanks to all of you for your advice saved a fortune in Newry on Thursday i would say at least €300 .

one thing tho i would say to any one who might be a nervous driver there is practically no street lights on the drive out i found it a very very dark place to drive home from other than that a great trip.

Left bray at 7.30 on Thurs morning and only traffic i meet was the M50 was parked in buttercrane by 9.15 will defo be heading back up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Has anyone seen this new sale that started today in Woolworths, there are stores in Lisburn and the Park Centre in Belfast, I am going up on Sunday myself.

bit of a joke was there friday

nothing left of any worth in westwood. its a mess of a store

i imagine all the staff blagged the good stuff before doors opened who could blame them really

20% off toys... which was decent if they were already reduced
    10% off games/consoles/electrics.... get cheaper online and most of the stuff was out of stock

dont go to westwood purely for woolworths is message i suppose

it does have a game shop,boots,dunnes,cex,boots,superchem,superdrug,iceland though

someone mentioned bisto granules 2 for £2 on last page, iceland had this offer also but they were the bigger tubs with 20% extra or something

other bargains

diet 7up 2 litre bottles 74 pence in sainsburys the others were either a £1 or dearer

cotton buds 200 pack 15p sainsburys

baby accessories shampoo/bongela/moisturer/wipes etc all half price in sainsburys

6 pack box of baby wipes johnson £5 in superchem

lots of other BOGOF in sainsburys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

danois wrote: »
    one thing tho i would say to any one who might be a nervous driver there is practically no street lights on the drive out i found it a very very dark place to drive home from other than that a great trip.

Yeh, tis mad :)

It tends to be pitch black with indequate cats eyes till about Drogheda, quite dangerous if you dont have your eye on the road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

beolight wrote: »
    bit of a joke was there friday

nothing left of any worth in westwood. its a mess of a store

i imagine all the staff blagged the good stuff before doors opened who could blame them really

20% off toys... which was decent if they were already reduced
    10% off games/consoles/electrics.... get cheaper online and most of the stuff was out of stock

dont go to westwood purely for woolworths is message i suppose

it does have a game shop,boots,dunnes,cex,boots,superchem,superdrug,iceland though

someone mentioned bisto granules 2 for £2 on last page, iceland had this offer also but they were the bigger tubs with 20% extra or something

other bargains

diet 7up 2 litre bottles 74 pence in sainsburys the others were either a £1 or dearer

cotton buds 200 pack 15p sainsburys

baby accessories shampoo/bongela/moisturer/wipes etc all half price in sainsburys

6 pack box of baby wipes johnson £5 in superchem

lots of other BOGOF in sainsburys

i think you're getting names mixed up here. Westwood shopping centre has an asda, but not the stores you list here. Looking at the store list it might have been Park Centre you were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

Went to Belfast yesterday parked in Castlecourt was easy enough to get there. Got some clothes in shops like Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins etc much cheaper could see both euro and gbp prices on the tags - made a lot of savings, the best one was in Principles at Debenhams - a coat priced either £99.00 or €155.00 !!! I kid you not, was reduced by a further 20% due to a one day sale discount thingy got it for £69.30 (approx. €80) same coat in Debenhams today in Dublin for €155.00. Rip off republic - these guys are really taking the pi55 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

"i think you're getting names mixed up here. Westwood shopping centre has an asda, but not the stores you list here. Looking at the store list it might have been Park Centre you were at."

:ocorrect park centre it is, a lot nicer than westwood but no Asda of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was in Strabane Asda this morning at 8am. It was pretty quiet with about 4 or 5 cars in the carpark.

When we were leaving near 12, the car park was getting very near full. Also, didn't realise there was an Argos Extra across the road. Nintendo DS was £99 there, compared to €149 in Argos this side of the border.

Loaded up on booze and then back in for general groceries.

Best bargains, IMO, was

15x Carlsberg/Carling/Strongbow/etc 44cl cans: £8
    20x Coors Light 275ml bottles: £8
    Pringles tube: £0.71
    Tropicana: £0.98 (a LOT more expensive here)
    Braun Oral-B electric toothbrush £9.79
    Box of 40 tumble dryer sheets £0.94

Gah, I could go on and on and Ariston...

I only went for copious amounts of cheap alcohol, the standard groceries were an added bonus! :D

Advertisement