Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I took £20 from the ATM in Strabane last night. I just checked and my account was debited by €24.51 so that was a rate was 0.816.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gazzer wrote: »
    So if Asda are only offering 80p it is better to get the sterling in the bank I suppose. Anybody know which bank is offering the best rate?
    What I normally do is ring around 3 or 4 of them and ask. failing that take your bank card with you and withdraw sterling in NI.

As pointed out BOI are probably the worse for exchanging currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    I took £20 from the ATM.
    Last of the big spenders :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

muffler wrote: »
    The recession must be biting. :D

muffler wrote: »
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    The recession must be biting. :D
    Feck off you two. :D

I was only getting a bulb for the car. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

TarfHead wrote: »
    There was a recent post on www.askaboutmoney.com where someone was charged 2.25% on GBP transactions for AIB Visa.

Even with a 1.75% or a 2.25% levy, you're still saving money.

But if, say, I get a rate of 0.82 on the ATM and the credit card, I will end up saving the 1.75% by getting sterling out of the ATM. Of course on a shop of £100 it is less than £2, but it is taking away some of the saving you have made,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So which is best to get the best exchange rate on your shopping?

-pay your shopping by CC depending on the charge or
    -withdraw that sterling cash from the ATM depending on the charge or
    -goto the shop that is offering the best exchange rate for your euros to avoid any currency charges

A or B but mostly option B. I never bother taking euros north of the border. Also once you get further inland the euro tends not to be accepted as readily as in the border towns.

You are going to need some sterling anyways for meals etc so it makes sense to get some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And C is only best when the below occurs?
    Supervalu on the main street in Newry were offering 85p to the Euro a few weeks back and Smyths Toy store were offering parity.

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Asda have the following deal,

Carlsberg 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Fosters 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Carling 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20

A 15 x 440ml can slab costs £10, so you buy 2 and get 1 free ;) Works out roughly @ 45 cans for €24

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

DonJose wrote: »
    Asda have the following deal,

Carlsberg 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Fosters 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Carling 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20

A 15 x 440ml can slab costs £10, so you buy 2 and get 1 free ;) Works out roughly @ 45 cans for €24

Wasn't so long ago that 18 cans of Carslburg was £7 in ASDA

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

84.8 from saturday 14th in asda thats 4.8 change from last week

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

was up in Sainsburys in Lisburn & The Outlet today - there's a men's clothes shop in the outlet (sorry can't remember the name) offering 1 pound to 1 euro.... don't know what the rate was elsewhere sorry - neither were overly busy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

account was debited by €24.51 so that was a rate was 0.816

Not necessarilly as that amount might include charges so the exchange rate could have been higher.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not necessarilly as that amount might include charges so the exchange rate could have been higher.
    No charges. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Was in Newry today - absolute chaos, and will get steadily worse up until Xmas.

I'd advise anyone thinking of going up on a Sat to arrive before 9.30am, otherwise parking is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Was in Newry today - absolute chaos, and will get steadily worse up until Xmas.

I'd advise anyone thinking of going up on a Sat to arrive before 9.30am, otherwise parking is a nightmare.

or just go somewhere other than newry

• Registered Users Posts: 22 T1961D

I am going up to sprucefield this weekend and I know that the sainsburys takes euro there, but does anybody know if the Asda up the road in the westwood shopping centre takes euro

These days they will. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

is it still chronic?
    coming from longford direction
    ty
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

is it still chronic?
    coming from longford direction
    ty
    j

Try to use the Dublin road rather than the Sligo road you enter Enniskillen at Asda without having to go through town.

I was up there today and the staff were saying they had to close car park for an hour on Tuesday because it was so busy.

They also seem to be having problems with people clearing shelves of special offers.I was initially told they would not sell me 24 bottles of Coke .I only go up every 5 or 6 weeks so i 'stock up' on stuff like that .The cashier would only let me buy 6 bottles of coke .She also tried to take a block of cheese of me as well (i only had 4!).

I had to go and get manager and get permission to buy my coke ,which he did. Manager said somebody both 4.5k worth of Vodka on Saturday,and another bloke bought all of there washing powder on Sunday.Hence the new rules.

Nicoteen 4mg lozengers 72's (ASDA own brand) 8.36 euro .Branded stuff in my local Chemist 26 euro. Now i know branded products are going to be cheaper but the shops down here will not stock cheaper brands.

So if there is anybody planning on quiting in the new year better stock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭sk8board

taking Friday off for a day of xmas shopping with herself.

Living in Nth Dublin, so its The Quays for breakfast, across to the Buttercrane, Damolly retail park and on to The Outlet in Banbridge. home to pick Jr up from the creche.

jobs a good'un.

Was listening to Major of Dub on about the patriotic duty again this morning on Newstalk. After 10 years of rectal examinations from the retailers of Dublin, who can blame us.
    (I don't see us stopping all that petrol tax being paid down at the ports before shipping it across the border! €140m p.a. seemingly)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

andyeire wrote: »
    Try to use the Dublin road rather than the Sligo road you enter Enniskillen at Asda without having to go through town.

I was up there today and the staff were saying they had to close car park for an hour on Tuesday because it was so busy.

They also seem to be having problems with people clearing shelves of special offers.I was initially told they would not sell me 24 bottles of Coke .I only go up every 5 or 6 weeks so i 'stock up' on stuff like that .The cashier would only let me buy 6 bottles of coke .She also tried to take a block of cheese of me as well (i only had 4!).

I had to go and get manager and get permission to buy my coke ,which he did. Manager said somebody both 4.5k worth of Vodka on Saturday,and another bloke bought all of there washing powder on Sunday.Hence the new rules.

Nicoteen 4mg lozengers 72's (ASDA own brand) 8.36 euro .Branded stuff in my local Chemist 26 euro. Now i know branded products are going to be cheaper but the shops down here will not stock cheaper brands.

So if there is anybody planning on quiting in the new year better stock up!

what time where you there today, 9am by any chance

Had to be back early so was there at 7.30am :eek: (was on secound trolley by 9.00)

Nice time to shop not too many others around .

By 11.00 place is very busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

where on the dublin road do you hit asda?
    went from loughrea to athlone,took ballymahon road all the way to cavan town then straight to enniskillen, and straight into roadworks for an hour on the bridge.
    1st signs of life on the road we took was a big toyota garage on the rhs called
    western cars.
    i had to go through the town (from the dublin road) and it took a while with roadworks.
    any improvements?best time to arrive there?
    thanks
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

T1961D wrote: »
    I am going up to sprucefield this weekend and I know that the sainsburys takes euro there, but does anybody know if the Asda up the road in the westwood shopping centre takes euro
    they accept euro notes as well as laser cards in westwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

wot time do they open

where on the dublin road do you hit asda?
    went from loughrea to athlone,took ballymahon road all the way to cavan town then straight to enniskillen, and straight into roadworks for an hour on the bridge.
    1st signs of life on the road we took was a big toyota garage on the rhs called
    western cars.
    i had to go through the town (from the dublin road) and it took a while with roadworks.
    any improvements?best time to arrive there?
    thanks
    j

I use a satnav so i just follow that from what i remember after Cavan on the N54 turn right i think it is signposted Monaghon towards b533 and on to A34.
    I do it from Kinnegad to ASDA in 1hour 40 mins .Once over the border it is well signposted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

DonJose wrote: »
    I was in Asda Enniskillen last week, 2 bottles of Absolut Vodka 70cl for £18 or roughly €22, 1 bottle costs €22 in Tesco in the south. 2 for 1 on Vodka, can't beat that. Asda is a lot cheaper that Tescos IMO.

jaysus that's a great deal ill have tio be checking that out cheers for the heads up:)

Advertisement