Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

LeahBaby wrote: »
    DO they have woolworths

Yes

http://www.4ni.co.uk/listing.asp?cat=193&style=0&company=92658&mb=396090&level1=3

Though you'd probably need a decent SatNav to pilot your way around the 3 different locations.

According to RTE Radio lunchtime news ..

.. sterling is currently at it's all-time low against the Euro.

break for The Border :D & don't forget to send the Minister for Finance a postcard with a QE2 stamp ;) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

TarfHead wrote: »
    According to RTE Radio lunchtime news ..

.. sterling is currently at it's all-time low against the Euro.

break for The Border :D & don't forget to send the Minister for Finance a postcard with a QE2 stamp ;) !

Super excited!!

so tarf do you think eniskillen or lisburn for convience then?

My boss just put in his order.shouldn't of opened my mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Think I'll head to enniskillen if it has tesco an asda.

Actuallt in shock that a litre bottle of vodka there only costs 15euro :O

I was in Asda Enniskillen last week, 2 bottles of Absolut Vodka 70cl for £18 or roughly €22, 1 bottle costs €22 in Tesco in the south. 2 for 1 on Vodka, can't beat that. Asda is a lot cheaper that Tescos IMO.

do you think eniskillen or lisburn for convience then?

If you're coming from Portlaoise, then Lisburn. If travel time/distance is not an issue, then I can't compare the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

tins of roses. heroes. q street 2 for £7 in asda enniskillen

Sterling just hit a new low against the Euro, another great reason for heading up north, €1 = £0.83

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

No vaccines to our children because the tax revenue in this country has dropped substancially.

Another reason to shop local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

aidz wrote: »
    No vaccines to our children because the tax revenue in this country has dropped substancially.

How patriotic!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Take it to the politics forum.

if you dont like this thread then you dont have to post in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just looked on the currency converter site and a Euro is worth 0.845909 GBP at the moment. If I wasnt going away to Berlin this weekend I would be up to Enniskillen like a shot on Saturday to stock up on food, drink and xmas pressies

gazzer wrote: »
    Just looked on the currency converter site and a Euro is worth 0.845909 GBP at the moment.

That's not a price that you'll get from any retailer. You'd be doing well to get 83p to the Euro.

But sure with the money you save by shopping in NI, you'd have enough to pay your GP for the vaccine ;).

€1 = £0.85 now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

1 euro = 0.855 now

some commentators are saying we could get to parity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

TarfHead wrote: »
    That's not a price that you'll get from any retailer. You'd be doing well to get 83p to the Euro.
    Supervalu on the main street in Newry were offering 85p to the Euro a few weeks back and Smyths Toy store were offering parity.

If buying by CC then price is set by the CC company based on FX rates if you get charged in GBP.

Happy days...I'm off to Newry early this Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Can you use english sterling or does it have to be northern Ireland sterling.
    I have a bit of english left over from a recent visit to london, so can I use it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

All sterling is welcome and most take euro too .Just watch out for the corner shop type shop they may not take euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Nearly 86p now, 0.85954p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Paying in euro is a silly thing to do in view of recent developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Paying in euro is a silly thing to do in view of recent developments.

why sainburys usually match the sterling rate or better?

Just back from Asda in Strabane and the bastards have an exchange rate of £1 = €0.8024. I'd say all Asda stores would have the same rate.

So it definitely pays to buy your sterling in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Hey guys new to the thread. Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a gereral shopping centre with all the regular high street stores up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

muffler wrote: »
    Just back from Asda in Strabane and the bastards have an exchange rate of £1 = €0.8024. I'd say all Asda stores would have the same rate.

So it definitely pays to buy your sterling in advance.

in dunnes there's a sheet usually has that days rate on it if it's not ask and they'll give it to you

briman1983 wrote: »
    Hey guys new to the thread. Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a gereral shopping centre with all the regular high street stores up there?

What part of the North do you plan on going to? In Enniskillen Asda and Tescos are across the road from each other. IMO Asda are the cheapest so shop there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Just a wee note for anybody travelling to Strabane in the near future. There is a place called Better Deals on the Melmount Road where everything is priced in euro. They are pretty cheap too.

smashey wrote: »
    Just a wee note for anybody travelling to Strabane in the near future. There is a place called Better Deals on the Melmount Road where everything is priced in euro. They are pretty cheap too.
    True.

But make sure to check the sell by date on the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

So if Asda are only offering 80p it is better to get the sterling in the bank I suppose. Anybody know which bank is offering the best rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

A lot of these stores have ATM's outside them where you can get your sterling - certainly Sainsbury in Newry does. The only risk here is that you don't have enough money when you get to the till, but a credit card can be used for the balance. Beware of BOI though cos they charge a 1.75% administration fee on sterling transactions on credit cards. I used to have a card with Ulster Bank and they made no such charge.

• Advertisement

Beware of BOI though cos they charge a 1.75% administration fee on sterling transactions on credit cards. I used to have a card with Ulster Bank and they made no such charge.

There was a recent post on www.askaboutmoney.com where someone was charged 2.25% on GBP transactions for AIB Visa.

Even with a 1.75% or a 2.25% levy, you're still saving money.

Advertisement