Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

bulld wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/theyre-10-miles-apart--but-its-boomtown-in-newry-and-gloomtown-in-dundalk-1540648.html

gloom town in Dundalk already .. what happens when that hits Dublin

I am self employed in Ireland (not in retail). I will be doing my shopping in the south to do my little bit.

Good Man.

If anyone can offer a logical explaination as to why goods are so much cheaper in the North than they are here is the south people may take that into account before travelling.

As I see it there is no excuse for it other than greed by either the retailer or wholesaler or Government down here so I for one don't feel any loyalty towards any of them. If the prices were on a par north and south no one would travel , competition is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

andyeire wrote: »
    I have been going to Asda for 6 months now and i am saving over 40% on my grocery shopping .I did Argos for my 'Christmas list' and saved 30% plus.

If it was just paying a bit extra i would do it.Its not its a lot extra.

Sky news were in a Dunnes in Glasgow this morning and they were giving a £10 voucher for every £20 spent on non food items.Now i wasnt in Dunnes today but i would guess they are not doing the same offer here.

Just checked Dunnes UK website the offer includes grocery spend but the vouchers can only be used to purchase non food items until 6th December.There doesnt appear to be an Irish offer.

They have that offer in Dunnes in Enniskillen too. No vouchers in Ireland though going by their website

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Wake up and support Irish business

noooooooo

its not about buisness ...its about greadyness.
    why dont these politician buy Micra and save fuel of all govt cars.
    Why dont they do a @SAME TAX as in north for all border towns just to start with...just to stop people going north....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Why dont they do a @SAME TAX as in north for all border towns just to start with...just to stop people going north....
    It would never work.

You would have people in Dublin bitching that everyone is doing their shopping in Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes the Government increased taxes because the tax return to them was low
    If everyone goes to the north for shopping, We will have more unemployment and higher taxes so the government can balance there books.

Irish businesses should first give a fair deal to the Irish consumer, right now I could drive up and buy goods (non alcohol) in a supermarket up north and return to a shop here and sell them, cover my fuel costs, add 21% VAT and 20% margin for the shop and still sell it cheaper than the shop down here sells the same goods, something is wrong with that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Yes the Government increased taxes because the tax return to them was low
    If everyone goes to the north for shopping, We will have more unemployment and higher taxes so the government can balance there books.

not a chance
    im heading up to eniskillen in two weeks
    for the first time to stock up on booze
    and groceries for xmas.
    Without this thread i would be in the dark
    so thank god for this

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

during the boom we were getting screwed with the high, falsely inflated prices
    the prices in shops across the board are starting to drop with the realisation that if they dont nothing will be bought
    the only way the prices down south will drop is if people continue to vote with their feet and head north

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

I too will be heading up to Enniskillen for the first time in a week or 2, to stock up on xmas goodies and booze.
    Of all the people that do their shopping there, i was wondering which store Asda, Tesco or Dunnes have the best deals and prices. Or are they all watching each others prices and matching them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 selfdestruction

Only a fool would not take advantage of the current currency situation. A simple example would be gamestop. A PSP bundle = 189.99 Euro or STG 139.99(165.52 Euro conversion on the credit card)

I am blessed having a number of Northen address attached to my CC. I bought that Sony DVD/TV/Surrond SYS deal @ 549 Euro for 400 STG @ 470 ish odd Euro.

No point in squandering my money. Pity our Government didn't do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

domkk wrote: »
    I too will be heading up to Enniskillen for the first time in a week or 2, to stock up on xmas goodies and booze.
    Of all the people that do their shopping there, i was wondering which store Asda, Tesco or Dunnes have the best deals and prices. Or are they all watching each others prices and matching them?
    asda is the cheapest, i wouldn't even bother going to dunnes for food, they also have a smaller selection of food in dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

dolittle wrote: »
    during the boom we were getting screwed with the high, falsely inflated prices
    the prices in shops across the board are starting to drop with the realisation that if they dont nothing will be bought
    the only way the prices down south will drop is if people continue to vote with their feet and head north

prices not really been reduced here they will do anything but reduce prices it seems

20% off weekends,25% back in coupons etcetc but for everyday shop your screwed all the increase which they slipped in during good times are being well guarded

correct me if im wrong but all the buy one get one free/50% extra type deals are manufacturer led deals not retailers despite what retailer would like you think

argos/b+q/dunnes/debenhams/currys/tesco euro prices against sterling prices reveal huge discrepancies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 selfdestruction

DonJose wrote: »
    Was in Belfast today and went to Sainsburys across the road from Ikea. They are selling 1lt Baileys for £10, offer ends 25th Nov. They are selling Colgate Total toothpaste for £1. Also Cadbury selection boxs 2 for £2.49.

I was at a till in a Sainsburys this evening and the family behild me started putting on the belt one HUGE bottle of Baileys, then another, then another, at that point given the rest of their goods my mind started wandering and by the time they had finished there were 8 Bottles on the belt as well as the familys "weekly" shopping. I was pondering on the fact that one of the parents had a problem :) It was only when I was driving out of the car park I saw the sign saying £10 a bottle.

I might grab one or two on the way home tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm heading to Ikea in Belfast during the week, and have a few questions if anyone can help

People seem to be talking about traffic jams in Newry - will I get hit by these, or are they mainly at the weekend, or will I be bypassing Newry on the main Belfast road?

Most Ikea's on the continent have coffee shops - I presume the Belfast one does as well?

Seeing as I'll be up there anyway, does anyone know if there's a supermarket near the Ikea where I could pick up a few bits and pieces - ideally a Tescos?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

domkk wrote: »

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk

This website allows you to compare the major Uk supermarkets.
    I have found Asda to be the cheapest.

A couple of examples 2lt Coke 1.18 euro asda 2.09euro tesco ireland 75%cheaper
    Aptamil baby formula 9.37 euro asda 13.99 euro tesco ireland 45% cheaper

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm heading to Ikea in Belfast during the week, and have a few questions if anyone can help

People seem to be talking about traffic jams in Newry - will I get hit by these, or are they mainly at the weekend, or will I be bypassing Newry on the main Belfast road?

Most Ikea's on the continent have coffee shops - I presume the Belfast one does as well?

Seeing as I'll be up there anyway, does anyone know if there's a supermarket near the Ikea where I could pick up a few bits and pieces - ideally a Tescos?
    To get to belfast you will be taking the newry bypass, but sometimes when it's busy the road from dublin can have tailbacks on it too. yep ikea have a restaurant, looking over the city airport runway, good for planespotters! :) There is a sainsburys just beside ikea, and a tesco (knocknagoney) just across the dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aldee84

milly4ever wrote: »
    To get to belfast you will be taking the newry bypass, but sometimes when it's busy the road from dublin can have tailbacks on it too. yep ikea have a restaurant, looking over the city airport runway, good for planespotters! :) There is a sainsburys just beside ikea, and a tesco (knocknagoney) just across the dual carriageway.

Yes this is correct but be prepared the restaurant can be very busy aswell as the car park which I found on the occasions I was up there, hapspy shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

mailburner wrote: »
    not a chance
    im heading up to eniskillen in two weeks
    for the first time to stock up on booze
    and groceries for xmas.
    Without this thread i would be in the dark
    so thank god for this
    I second that. Had been thinking about it for a while but following this thread, my mind is made up. I am Eniskillen bound :pac:

gazzer wrote: »
    I was going to go up to The Outlet next week. Is it worth going to? Do you happen to remember what shops were giving £ for €? It would be mainly mens clothes shops I would be interested in up there. Enniskillen is great for most things and I go up there every few weeks but they havnt got a great selection of mens clothes shops.

Also is there a way of finding out on the web what rate shops up north are giving for euro before heading up there or is it a case of just ringing each store?

Ill find out cant remember the name but one of the shops was a mans suit shop which was a nice shop I had a nose at trousers myself and they were €38 which is good. try the website they will have it im sure on it. The shop was couple doors down from Jeff Banks

I second that. Had been thinking about it for a while but following this thread, my mind is made up. I am Eniskillen bound :pac:

Yes good on ya, save yourself a few bob. I have been going up to Belfast for years even before the rate has gotten so good like now and always found great bargains and come home with my big boot full of clothes etc and backseat full of groceries from Sainsburys Lisburn on way back. I dont know where you are from but if its Dublin I would recommend Lisburn its straight up the m1 all the way and it only takes just over an hour. I live in Meath beside Drogheda and did Belfast last night @ 7pm in an hour and 10mins, great roads except for a few road works on the dual carraigeway

Aldee84 wrote: »
    Yes good on ya, save yourself a few bob. I have been going up to Belfast for years even before the rate has gotten so good like now and always found great bargains and come home with my big boot full of clothes etc and backseat full of groceries from Sainsburys Lisburn on way back. I dont know where you are from but if its Dublin I would recommend Lisburn its straight up the m1 all the way and it only takes just over an hour. I live in Meath beside Drogheda and did Belfast last night @ 7pm in an hour and 10mins, great roads except for a few road works on the dual carraigeway

in Roscommon, so I think enisskillen would prob b closer, hit it via Sligo, just waiting to find out if any of the shops are 24hr opening. bit of a nite owl so that would take the sting out of it. Hate shopping with a vengance:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

in Roscommon, so I think enisskillen would prob b closer, hit it via Sligo, just waiting to find out if any of the shops are 24hr opening. bit of a nite owl so that would take the sting out of it. Hate shopping with a vengance:mad:

Asda open 24 hrs Monday 8 am to saturday open Sunday 1 to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

But remember you can't by any alcohol after 11pm til the following morning.

thanks. Thats gona make it an awful lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hiob

Is it worth to go up north for lcd tv? Cheers lads

Hiob wrote: »
    i'd say so, compare the price on argos.ie versus argos.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Hiob wrote: »

Defintley. Try Richer Sounds, Currys, Argos etc websites to compare

just spotted this

need a beer fridge
    looked at the argos catalogue here
    cat no
    270/1888

this item costs 169euro here

up north
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...&Submit=GO+%3E

yet another rip off here

im going to eniskillen for the first time in a week
    and was wondering
    there is no sainsburys there
    am i missing something there?
    should i go further afield so i have sainsbury and asda?
    or will asda and tesco fill all my booze needs?

mailburner wrote: »
    im going to eniskillen for the first time in a week
    and was wondering
    there is no sainsburys there
    am i missing something there?
    should i go further afield so i have sainsbury and asda?
    or will asda and tesco fill all my booze needs?

No tesco and asda should fill ur boozing needs.I did head though tesco closing down in enniskillen now don't "quote" me n it now. I just prefer retail therapy for clothing in Belfast city centre for the day and do sainsburys lisburn n way back. It really does depend n where u live as to where u go. If you are In Dublin or further up east coast I think lisburn. The sainsburys in newry I give up on as it's too small busy and selection not as good as that is where all people from south go as it is right on the border

• Advertisement

No tesco and asda should fill ur boozing needs.I did head though tesco closing down in enniskillen now don't "quote" me n it now. I just prefer retail therapy for clothing in Belfast city centre for the day and do sainsburys lisburn n way back. It really does depend n where u live as to where u go. If you are In Dublin or further up east coast I think lisburn. The sainsburys in newry I give up on as it's too small busy and selection not as good as that is where all people from south go as it is right on the border

cheers
    im in galway so id say itll be eniskillen for me
    unless theres somewhere better not too much further afield

Advertisement