Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

g32 wrote: »
    Kildare Outlet Village are a complete rip-off as regards prices. Even during the sales, prices remained high, there were clumbsy offers also.

Only been there the once but the prices did seem competitive. Got a very Ralph Lauren shirt for the young lad's communion for 9.99 . IIRC we got Ralph Lauren pants for him at a similar price (if he wants them at full price he can buy them himself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

That equats to £2.50 on every £100 and is not really going to make any difference for zero VAT items like food and childrens clothes. When savings on some items like a bottle of spirits is normally €10 or more it's still worth a trip. Grocery items have got very competitive between here and the north and this is a direct result of people shopping in the north.

If you buy in bulk, its worth the trip up north. Buying clothing, food, spirits in bulk will save you more.

parsi wrote: »
    Only been there the once but the prices did seem competitive. Got a very Ralph Lauren shirt for the young lad's communion for 9.99 . IIRC we got Ralph Lauren pants for him at a similar price (if he wants them at full price he can buy them himself).

When I compared the Outlet prices to the internet, they seemed considerably higher. That was against the US Dollar, but I should note the Euro has since taken a fall in value. This was also during the sales in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Haddockman wrote: »
    UK VAT is rising to 20% in January. That will kill off the boom in NI from shopping.

VAT is not rising on alcohol or cigarettes. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/politics/10371590.stm

That said, its really only worth the trip if buying spirits as beer is competitive down here especially on special deals.

Also, another vote of confidence for Banbridge. Have been to both Tesco & Lidl there, not many southern reg cars though but that helps the place been less packed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

gurramok wrote: »
    VAT is not rising on alcohol or cigarettes. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/politics/10371590.stm

The tax (e.g. excise tax) is not increasing on the old reliables, but VAT is. - There is absolutely no possible way whatsoever that the vat on alcohol & cigs & fuel can be left at 17.5% and every other product that was at 17.5% increase to 20%.

VAT on these products in the UK is at the "standard" rate. the "standard" rate increases to 20%. - No ifs, no buts, its increasing.

If paddy power is taking bets on this, I'll lay every penny I have on it.

• Advertisement

g32 wrote: »
    When I compared the Outlet prices to the internet, they seemed considerably higher. That was against the US Dollar, but I should note the Euro has since taken a fall in value. This was also during the sales in January.

You compared a store in Kildare with internet prices in USA????:eek::eek::eek:

Did you add in 21% vat? - Did you add in up to 14% european import duties, did you add in shipping charges. - and don't forget vat & duty is added to the shipping charges.

Jeez - maybe ok, compare to NI or UK or even France or other euro contries, but lets not compare to the naked USA price where the sales tax (up to 13.5%) is added at the till on top of the ticket price. - If you are going to compare to USA prices find out the duty rates on the specific item & deduct both this & the vat from the price and then, & only then can you do a proper comparitve cost.

91011 wrote: »
    The tax (e.g. excise tax) is not increasing on the old reliables, but VAT is. - There is absolutely no possible way whatsoever that the vat on alcohol & cigs & fuel can be left at 17.5% and every other product that was at 17.5% increase to 20%.

VAT on these products in the UK is at the "standard" rate. the "standard" rate increases to 20%. - No ifs, no buts, its increasing.

If paddy power is taking bets on this, I'll lay every penny I have on it.

I see. The BBC did not go into detail on it, it just said 'taxes' but didn't say which taxes!!
    But the Guardian have it in detail. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/22/budget-2010-key-points

A jump of 2.5% in VAT won't affect the price of spirits much. Again we get ripped off by excess excise on alcohol down here.

I see. The BBC did not go into detail on it, it just said 'taxes' but didn't say which taxes!!
    But the Guardian have it in detail. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/22/budget-2010-key-points

A jump of 2.5% in VAT won't affect the price of spirits much. Again we get ripped off by excess excise on alcohol down here.

excluding different special offers, the difference on a standard bottle of spirits comparing both juristiction standard prices will be about €1.50 (or less if sterling continues to strengthen.)

But you can't really say its an excise duty rip-off because then the same claim can be made about petrol & diesel in Northern Ireand where diesel is 30% more expensive than south of the border. (last week the fuel stations on the southern side of donegal/derry boder were crammed with NI plates - must bring a smile to Brian Lenihans face!)

91011 wrote: »
    excluding different special offers, the difference on a standard bottle of spirits comparing both juristiction standard prices will be about €1.50 (or less if sterling continues to strengthen.)

But you can't really say its an excise duty rip-off because then the same claim can be made about petrol & diesel in Northern Ireand where diesel is 30% more expensive than south of the border. (last week the fuel stations on the southern side of donegal/derry boder were crammed with NI plates - must bring a smile to Brian Lenihans face!)

Well, the border stores do tend to have special offers on spirits. I see your point when they do not and the difference in pricing ain't that great. I'll be up there tomorrow(on non-shopping business) and will report on my observations from Newry :)

Didn't know about the diesel difference having swayed in the Souths favour recently despite the tax hikes in our budget. Is petrol cheaper here or in NI these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Was told by a friend of a friend not to go to Banbridge with a car with southern plates, now I thought he was joking but he said he wasnt?
    Surely in this day and age it isnt an issue???

It's not and Banbridge has been well accustomed to southern reg cars for years without any issues. Don't listen to your mate. If you're going to the outlet, you don't even go into Banbridge proper, and half the cars in the carpark there are from across the border. The outlet is pretty good imo, but it depends what you're after.

• Advertisement

Didn't know about the diesel difference having swayed in the Souths favour recently despite the tax hikes in our budget. Is petrol cheaper here or in NI these days?

current average price ireland - from pumps.ie = unleaded 132.9, diesel 124.9

Current average price NI - from petrol prices .com - unleaded €1.52 (£1.226 x current consumer exchange rate of 1.238), Diesel €1.55 (£1.249 x 1.238)

Basically fill up BEFORE you cross the border. - station on newry rd dundalk has unleaded at 1.269 & diesel at 1.179 and a queue of yellow reg cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi hatetherain!
    I'm sure your friend was joking as on any given day at least half the cars in carpark of Banbridge outlet centre have ROI plates, it's a pretty good place to shop- it's about a year since i visited but at that time they had outlets for Marks and Spencer, Clark's, Oasis, Gap, Past Times, a health food store and a few others, should be worth a look! Also Subway and Starbucks if you need to refuel!

From my travels, both Newry shopping centres were practically empty. No competion in beer pricing, not worthwhile buying.
    What caught my eye was that a 1L Baileys was £14stg, €24.50 in Tesco here so cheaper by 7 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

A price difference of 6% to 20% can be sustained for long periods of time. Retailers on both sides of the border are competing for a finite amount of custom. It is a zero sum game with customers factoring in cost, time, wear and tear on the car, snacks for the family when deciding "is it worth it". In god's country our retailers are modifying prices daily keeping in mind that they can get away with charging more. Up north they are also modifying prices daily in an attempt to squeeze as much as they can out of the trade by keeping the customers coming. The UK VAT going to 20% will crimp profit margins leading to higher prices to compensate. Business will decline no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yes

CPL 593H

Hasschu wrote: »
    A price difference of 6% to 20% can be sustained for long periods of time.
    No it can't. People find other ways such as the internet, and cross border shopping. The real solution is for the prices to be permanently lowered to eliminate this 6-20% difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

how do I ring belfast ?

+353 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

You can dial 0044 then drop first 0. Or drop the 028 and replace it with 048 if dialing from the south and you are ringing a landline. This one is cheapest and it will be classed as a national call so included in most packages /bundles.

goes too buy a laptop in belfast.

which asda is the best ?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Plenty of small Asda around Belfast so make sure it is big enough to have a good range. There is an Asda Living in BT15 might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement

walked all around the inner city no asda.

ended up in currys thats the only place I could find that and argus.

got a hp 17 inch laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

walked all around the inner city no asda.

ended up in currys thats the only place I could find that and argus.

got a hp 17 inch laptop

you should have checked the store locator beforehand. there are several branches not far from the centre, for example the living store is within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Anyone up in Sainsburys Newry lately? I'm wondering if it's still worth going up there?I used to go there once monthly but stopped going about 6 months ago or so before they renovated the store.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,701 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Moanin wrote: »
    Anyone up in Sainsburys Newry lately? I'm wondering if it's still worth going up there?I used to go there once monthly but stopped going about 6 months ago or so before they renovated the store.

Thanks

Depends what your buying, always worth checking their website first for special offers.

Moanin wrote: »

Thanks

according to conor pope in Monday pricewatch (irish times) many everyday items were more expensive in sainsburys than his local tesco incl nappies, coffee, & even whiskey & brandy.

obviously certain deals may make it worth your while - last week sainsburys had 25% off any mixed case of wine (offer over) but for general shopping its not worth it anymore.

also generic medicines were available quite cheaply such as paracetamol & ibuprofen - but these can be bought online too and posted here without any problem as they are over the counter items.

I was on google maps and seen the living store written down,

but I did walk around all the streets in the city found the two main shopping centres but no sailsburyss.

I did ask a security guard where asda was he said the one in the city centre was closed down.
    milly4ever wrote: »
    you should have checked the store locator beforehand. there are several branches not far from the centre, for example the living store is within walking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

I was on google maps and seen the living store written down,

but I did walk around all the streets in the city found the two main shopping centres but no sailsburyss.

I did ask a security guard where asda was he said the one in the city centre was closed down.

supermarkets are generally outside the city centre- the only ones that are there are a small dunnes express and a tesco metro.
    both sainsburys branches are a drive away from town.
    there was never any asda in the city centre.

never seen a city centre without a shopping centre.

From my travels have too say if your looking for clothes too buy belfast is the place too be full of sales with 30 percent off.
    milly4ever wrote: »
    supermarkets are generally outside the city centre- the only ones that are there are a small dunnes express and a tesco metro.
    both sainsburys branches are a drive away from town.
    there was never any asda in the city centre.

The Tesco Metro is quite good for the booze. Its not a huge place as there is a not a huge demand from hordes of shoppers stampeding on the place like in Newry hence prices do be a little lower than Newry.
    I've often bought a good few bottles of spirits there as i've found it to be well stocked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pinksumo

Nice posting about shopping Centre.

Advertisement