Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

domkk wrote: »
    The world is full of what ifs.

if I had the correct six number a couple fo weeks ago - I'd be as rich as Tom McGurk:D:D:D (or so the rumor goes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Yea....Newry takes a bit of getting used to in terms of it's one-way road system in places....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Hi all, here is my shopping list:

1 - xbox 360 w/kinect and 250 gb hard drive
    1 - 32" Full HD Tv
    1 - Single childrens bed & Kids bedroom stuff
    Toys
    General Xmas Gifts (Clothes, electronics)
    Food
    Cigarettes
    Hardly any drink

Im wondering would it be worth my while taking a trip north? Never been shopping there.. Never seen Belfast either so id love that too.. Also my mother & girlfriend and Brother may go so savings could be multiplied by 3ish.. any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,878 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Stab*City wrote: »
    1 - xbox 360 w/kinect and 250 gb hard drive
    I would expect you to save somewhere in the region of €30 - €40 minimum on this which is basically the petrol money.

1 - 32" Full HD Tv
    So many variations on the TVs (brands) that its really hard to tell. The special deals/offers in Power City, DID, Harvey Norman etc would be the equivalent to the normal in-store price in NI. There is the odd store in NI that you can haggle a bit so you may save perhaps €20 - €40 min. But watch out for the in-store offers in the North and you will save considerably more.

1 - Single childrens bed & Kids bedroom stuff
    I wouldn't really be sure about this.

Toys
    Generally a 5% - 10% saving in this dept.

General Xmas Gifts (Clothes, electronics
    Again it varies but the electronics will generally be a little cheaper.

Food
    I take it you mean foodstuff as in "off the shelf". Generally a 5% saving but again watch out for the offers and stock up on those. For example Asda have 12 cans of coke/diet coke for £3 at the moment. 24 will cost you £6 which is about €7.15. You can get 24 cans in Dunnes here for €7.99. Not much of a saving but some items will have more savings than that, If you are used to doing the weekly shopping you will soon spot the difference in the costs.

Cigarettes
    €2 a packet less on average in NI.

Hardly any drink
    Thats a pity :D Good savings on alcohol although the prices here are beginning to come close to NI prices. Last week I bought 20 bottles Heineken here for €15 in Supervalue and this morning I could have bought 15 bottles for £7 (€8.30) in Asda. Get the calculator out. Again watch out for the special offers.

A couple of tips:

1. Go this week instead of next as the closer you get to Xmas the bigger the crowds.
    2. Leave VERY early in the morning - get there for 9 AM if possible.
    3. Pick a shopping centre/mall for convenience of parking and shopping. You may have to make a couple of trips back and forward to the car depending on the bulk of the items you purchase.
    4. Some people pay in Euro (cash), others use a credit card while some people prefer to buy sterling in advance or withdraw sterling cash from the ATMs. Its hard to advise what to do in these situations as each store sets its own exchange rate. Asda for example set a rate on a Monday morning and stick to that for the rest of the week while others change it daily based on the bank exchange rates. Best advice I can offer is that if you have an idea as to what stores you intend to shop in is ring a day or two ahead and ask what their Euro/Sterling exchange rate is. Google the shop names for phone numbers.

6. When looking at prices then either use a calculator to work out the conversion rate or what I tend to do is (for now anyhow) add about 20% on the sterling price and that will give you the approx. price in Euro. So if you see something at £30 then add 20% and it will cost you the equivalent of €36. If the exchange rates change radically in the next couple of weeks then you need to take this into account.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

muffler wrote: »
    I would expect you to save somewhere in the region of €30 - €40 minimum on this which is basically the petrol money.

So many variations on the TVs (brands) that its really hard to tell. The special deals/offers in Power City, DID, Harvey Norman etc would be the equivalent to the normal in-store price in NI. There is the odd store in NI that you can haggle a bit so you may save perhaps €20 - €40 min. But watch out for the in-store offers in the North and you will save considerably more.

I wouldn't really be sure about this.

:D:)
    Generally a 5% - 10% saving in this dept.

Again it varies but the electronics will generally be a little cheaper.

I take it you mean foodstuff as in "off the shelf". Generally a 5% saving but again watch out for the offers and stock up on those. For example Asda have 12 cans of coke/diet coke for £3 at the moment. 24 will cost you £6 which is about €7.15. You can get 24 cans in Dunnes here for €7.99. Not much of a saving but some items will have more savings than that, If you are used to doing the weekly shopping you will soon spot the difference in the costs.

€2 a packet less on average in NI.

Thats a pity :D Good savings on alcohol although the prices here are beginning to come close to NI prices. Last week I bought 20 bottles Heineken here for €15 in Supervalue and this morning I could have bought 15 bottles for £7 (€8.30) in Asda. Get the calculator out. Again watch out for the special offers.

A couple of tips:

1. Go this week instead of next as the closer you get to Xmas the bigger the crowds.
    2. Leave VERY early in the morning - get there for 9 AM if possible.
    3. Pick a shopping centre/mall for convenience of parking and shopping. You may have to make a couple of trips back and forward to the car depending on the bulk of the items you purchase.
    4. Some people pay in Euro (cash), others use a credit card while some people prefer to buy sterling in advance or withdraw sterling cash from the ATMs. Its hard to advise what to do in these situations as each store sets its own exchange rate. Asda for example set a rate on a Monday morning and stick to that for the rest of the week while others change it daily based on the bank exchange rates. Best advice I can offer is that if you have an idea as to what stores you intend to shop in is ring a day or two ahead and ask what their Euro/Sterling exchange rate is. Google the shop names for phone numbers.

6. When looking at prices then either use a calculator to work out the conversion rate or what I tend to do is (for now anyhow) add about 20% on the sterling price and that will give you the approx. price in Euro. So if you see something at £30 then add 20% and it will cost you the equivalent of €36. If the exchange rates change radically in the next couple of weeks then you need to take this into account.

Hope this helps :)

Brilliant brilliant.. thats one of the best answers to my posts ever.. so ya looks like there could be some savings there maybe the biggest being the tv depending on wether i get a good deal.. as for the tv id be looking to pick up a half decent name brand but defo will loook out for the offers..

plus i get to see belfast.. i cant believe ive never actually been there..

what are the best parts/shopping centres in NI? and which electrical shops keep up to date info on the tv on their websites?

thanks again for your brilliant help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Brilliant brilliant.. thats one of the best answers to my posts ever.. so ya looks like there could be some savings there maybe the biggest being the tv depending on wether i get a good deal.. as for the tv id be looking to pick up a half decent name brand but defo will loook out for the offers..

plus i get to see belfast.. i cant believe ive never actually been there..

what are the best parts/shopping centres in NI? and which electrical shops keep up to date info on the tv on their websites?

thanks again for your brilliant help

Ensure the tv you buy can receive MPEG4 pictures that is the standard used for DTT. The UK digital tv uses MPEG2 which doesn't work here. Richer sounds in belfast is good for tvs etc and they also deliver to the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

sorry if this has been asked before but how much is a slab of beer in NI at the moment?bud or heineken.
    seeing as theres 2 for 50 in dunnes im just curious.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

24 440ml cans (carlsberg, bulmers, bud etc) for £12 in Sainsbury's, it's a special offer but it comes up very frequently, keep an eye on their website.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1290618999267

15 bottles of Bud, Coorslight, Heineken, Millar is £7 at the moment in asda which works out around €8.40. Just to note that these are 300ml bottles.

what are the best parts/shopping centres in NI? and which electrical shops keep up to date info on the tv on their websites
    Sorry, forgot to reply to this. I take it your coming from Dublin or that general direction but Im not too up to speed on the shopping centres in Belfast. I usually go to Strabane or Derry but Im sure someone will advise you with this query. There would have been various posts in this thread about different shopping centres but given the length of the thread it would be a nightmare to read through it unless the search function turns up something.

Good tip above about the MPEG4 picture on the TV. This is never an issue for me personally as I live beside the border and get all the channels regardless of what type of tuners are in the TVs.

Have a look at sites like Dixons, Ricersounds, Maplin, or googling
    TV retailers in Belfast will throw up a few results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bladespin wrote: »
    24 440ml cans (carlsberg, bulmers, bud etc) for £12 in Sainsbury's, it's a special offer but it comes up very frequently, keep an eye on their website.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1290618999267
    also to note
    that Carlsberg is only 3.8% alcohol, on top of being over 10% smaller than Irish cans.
    (but a good deal for for filling the fridge with random crap for mates coming over that you dont want to spend the cash on for proper booze)

If you wanted anything of any strength like grolsch, then its on special offer for a pound a 440 can. But then thats dearer than the slab deals in the south, and thats for 500ml cans.

A semingly good deal there for palatable cans is 8 440ml 5% imported becks for 8 pounds (brewed DE, canned UK).
    But then again, thats €1.20 a 440ml can, or €1.36 per 500ml so they still arent giving it away!
    Especially since you can consider Tesco in the south does becks in 275ml bottles for 67c !!
    So cheaper than sainsburys UK!!

And thats before paying for a tank of petrol to get to and from the north!

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I think it's safe to say that it's no longer worth a trip up north for your beer. Spirits on the other hand are still ridiculously expensive down here.

LFCFan wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that it's no longer worth a trip up north for your beer. Spirits on the other hand are still ridiculously expensive down here.

Check out the offers left right & centre on spirits down here - even my local spar had smirnoff for €15.99, lidl had 500ml smirnoff for €9, (less than €13 per standard size bottle)

Dunnes, Tesco etc have loads of offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LFCFan wrote: »
    on bargain alerts smirnoff for €19 for 1l (dunnes / tesco) in the republic, which is €13.30 if you work it out to 700ml

other expired reports of €12 for smirnoff 700ml bottles over the past recent while.

that is not ridiculously expensive in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know a good value toy shop in Belfast, is smyths considered expensive ? new to the whole buying toys at Christmas thing.. just checking prices and for DS games you can only save about 5 euros when doing a comparison between the uk and ireland sites for smyths. I'm going up on Monday to get some work done on my car anyway so thought I might get santa out of the way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Technique

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Ensure the tv you buy can receive MPEG4 pictures that is the standard used for DTT. The UK digital tv uses MPEG2 which doesn't work here. Richer sounds in belfast is good for tvs etc and they also deliver to the south.

The Sony Centre televisions appear to be all MPEG4 and they have good deals at the moment (VAT back). Havings said that, the Sony Centre in Letterkenny were able to beat the Sony Centre in Derry when I bought a tv last January.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

Going to the UK in two weeks time, visiting friends but time for shopping also if I wish!! just not sure what to do?

Need to get a DSI and games + clothes

Is it worth my while to wait or should I get them here before hand?

Some people are telling me it's not cheaper to get them over anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

i think i saw advertised on tv3 last night a documentary they are doing on the prices in republic v the north and you'll be surpised at the results, might be interesting. it's on wednesday night at 10pm - just looked at tv mag and it must be part of that midweek programme

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hollymount

Been off the site for quite a while and looking for a bit of help please?

I am looking for a SERVING TROLLEY which is around £250 as a very special present and have tried about every shop/store down here in ROI and cannot locate one.

I know they are available in the North but have not the time to get up there.
    I recall reading somewhere (?) that there are some persons/company who will shop for you and deliver to Dublin and does anybody have any contact details for them?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Does anyone still use this website to check NI prices?

Compare Supermarkets

Prices on most things seem as good as last year.

Plan on doing the booze shop next week hopefully.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Does anyone still use this website to check NI prices?

Compare Supermarkets

Prices on most things seem as good as last year.

Plan on doing the booze shop next week hopefully.

Don't forget to mutiply the sterling price by 1.23 to get the real euro price you are going to pay.

I really can't see any major savings on many things - especially with the special drink offers in nearly every store down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

May be, but I don't see all the special offers on at the same time down here.
    At least up there I will know that the prices will be the same all of the time, not €19 one day and €36 the next.

91011 wrote: »
    Don't forget to mutiply the sterling price by 1.23 to get the real euro price you are going to pay.
    More like £1 = €1.20

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

if it takes around three and a half hours from dublin and the same back thats 7 hours driving with no traffic on the way back ! just going by what i read on the forum correct me if im wrong
    Question is would you no burn all your savings on fuel :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

if it takes around three and a half hours from dublin and the same back thats 7 hours driving with no traffic on the way back ! just going by what i read on the forum correct me if im wrong

3.5 hrs from Dublin?

I sometimes work with a guy from Newry (northside) who I pick up at ~6am, and we're on the job somewhere in S. Dublin by 7.30am at normal traffic volumes. It's only 65 or so miles.
    2.2lt petrol car, €25 in petrol there and back. Subjective if that's worthwhile to your own circumstances or not.
    Google maps agrees: ~110km, 1hr 15min

There was a time when tailbacks on the M1/A1 at Newry before the roadworks were finished could add an hour but haven't seen a queue there in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

What are the best deals on these days? I always found fresh food etc around the same price as here, the deals on drink etc are brilliant though, is there anything else that would make the trip worthwhile at the moment (weak euro)?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Sainsburys in lisburn had dsi xl in different colours last week for £109, bought 2 for kids xmas. Went into toysrus and they were more than £30 dearer. Bargaintastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

With STG difference in exchange rate, prices are a lot more comparable now with the ROI....you'd realy need to pick your items carefully and do the research before going up....great value in a lot of mens shops in dublin this weekend....20- 40% off a lot of clothes.....this has made them very close in price to NI prices...booze shopping NI, unless you're only a few miles away, is really not worth the bother- I calculated a saving of 1 euro on a bottle of Cote De Rhone...that's a lot of bottles to buy before you pay back petrol from a Dublin run...just so ya know...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is 106km from one city centre ot the other(Newry) and takes about 1 hour 15.
    When we lived in Balbriggan it took 45 minutes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Did some shopping in Asda in Enniskillen last Sunday - was staying up there so was in the vacinity.

Good value to be has in wines - 3 for £10 bottles of Cava for less than a fiver sterling - picked up a few other bits and pieces as well.

Car park was full of Southern registered cars so people are still travelling

Advertisement