Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mollymollu

Heading up north next week to do my xmas shopping.
    Want to avoid Newry and want to go to the outlets in banbridge but need argos and sainsburys too........is there any near banbridge?
    Help much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Go past the outlet village in Banbridge to Sprucefield. Its about 15 mins further on. Its got Sainsburys, Argos, Currys, Next, Toys R Us across the road is a very large M&S. Hit the outlet village on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mollymollu

Many thanks Mr Smart!
    Now another question.......u wouldnt by any chance know the postcode for argos in sprucefield?????:)

Indeed I do, very handy for ordering stuff from Argos for collection!

Its BT27 5UJ

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Driving up to Belfast from Dublin on Sunday want to do loads of shopping, both food and xmas shopping for toys and clothes etc...

I have heard that the further away from the border you are the better prices you get.

Could someone gimme a quick rundown of the best places to do a great food shop i.e what shopping centres I should go to for this, and also could you give me the same info in relation to clothes shopping.

Are the shopping centres far apart in Belfast city?

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much

• Advertisement

I'd go to Sprucefield and the Outlet in Banbridge on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

30 min tailback at 10am yesterday on A1/M1 after the Jonesborough turn off, due to the road upgrade. No delay on towards Belfast, once we reached the Newry ringroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 wackjob

Ya was in Newry yesterday same time, 20 minutes at the end of the motorway, no issue coming home.

1st time up shopping, booze was good value some examples below, would say 30/40% cheaper. Also found the people very friendly

jameson 1L £ 19.25
    Powers 1L £ 18.14
    Bacardi 1L £ 15
    Corona extra 12 pack £ 13.28
    Balies 1L (I think) £ 10
    Smirnoff 1l £ 15

Piccini Chiant £ 5.49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

New road is open from Dundalk side to just past the roundabout (flyover)

Not sure though if the traffic congestion will ease totally.

Mix and Match option in Sainsbury's

2 for €14 or €10 each.

Carslberg (cans and bottles) Miller, Bud (cans and bottles) Bulmers, Magners, Coors, SOL, Stella (cans and bottles), Fosters (cans) few others too that slip my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Is Rushmere shopping centre in Craigavon any use?

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Is Rushmere shopping centre in Craigavon any use?

Yeah pretty good.

Store directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

good news on the road, was in lisburn last tuesday and thought the road was looking like it would open soon and wondered when that might be? thanks for the update

tregan wrote: »
    good news on the road, was in lisburn last tuesday and thought the road was looking like it would open soon and wondered when that might be? thanks for the update

It's always been scheduled to open in summer of 2010. They are ahead of that so perhaps the whole project will be complete sometime around March/April.

Another silly question, but whats the best bet in relation to currency when ya head up to the big shopping centres in Belfast i.e castlecourt and victoria square?
    Will they take euros or should I arrange to get some Sterling?

Also may I ask the same question about Banbridge and Lisburn?

Also any idea on where to go to exchange to get the best exchange rate , somewhere they won't screw you on charges for exchange???

Help is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my experience.

I headed off yesterday morning from Rush at 715, went by Newry slip about 8:10 and reached Sprucefield about 845. Car park empty and very cold! The shops had already opened even though the signs said 9am on most. I'd reserved items in Argos, no queues at all.
    Did a shop in Sainsburys, top buys prob Baileys ;10 a litre, Heinz Baby food jars on offer & clothes with 25% off. Used Laser Maestro, rate worked out at 90.4p to the euro.
    Went to Toys r us - was a bit busier, queue to pay took less than 10 mins. They have a great range, but I felt prices weren't very competite compared to argos/smyths.
    Went to M&S, amazing selection. Busy enough, car park very busy. Wrapping paper 3 for 2, plus £1 off each roll as well. ~Price of clothes more reasonable, and great children selections. Got Poinsettia plant for £14.49, was €21 in M&S here!

Headed to Bow St Mall - very disappointed. Primark & dunnes very disororganised and nothing special.
    Got few things in dorothy perkins, hmv, adams, new look. Overall felt i could have given it a miss.

On way home dropped in to tesco banbridge - was quite busy but more locals I think. Not many southern reg cars. Best deals were Smirnoff 70cl, Bacardi 70cl for £10, Avent soothers £2.40 - almost 6 euros here!

Left Banbridge about 4 - traffic was a bit slow coming up to newry but apart from that fine. As I passed the turn for Newry there seemed to be no queue heading down the hill.

E

just one more question, are the shops only opened from 1-6 tomorrow up north??

Heading up to belfast from the midlands tomorrow, are there special opening hours in the run up to christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Anyone ever get served by the guy in Asda Enniskillen with the Elvis locks and the tatoos?

Gas man, always with a joke/story to tell. The staff are ultra friendly but he stands out. Anyone got any experiences of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Anyone ever get served by the guy in Asda Enniskillen with the Elvis locks and the tatoos?

Gas man, always with a joke/story to tell. The staff are ultra friendly but he stands out. Anyone got any experiences of him?

Can't say I'v been served by him but I can't say enough about the staff in Asda Enisk, each and everyone of them are amazing. Dosent matter how busy the place is, if you need something they will find it straight away, or at least tell you when it might be back in stock.
    Was up yesterday and for the first time the booze section was closed till 8am, peolpe kept going in, but the lads were pleasent and polite constantly. I was the the one standing there waiting for the clock to strike 8am, the show was great !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love going there. In my local shop (small town) even though you know the staff, pigs will fly b4 they put themselves out for a customer. How do they not get it? Go back to that ould saying, honey, vinegar bees????????????
    Am at the point where I will go up for the shopping experience (hate shopping) regardless of the exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How are people using Laser Maestro, and how do they know the rate?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, have a maestro PTSB laser card and that seems a very good rate vs what I'm getting from the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Jayob10 wrote: »
    just one more question, are the shops only opened from 1-6 tomorrow up north??

Heading up to belfast from the midlands tomorrow, are there special opening hours in the run up to christmas.

No, by law shops over a certain size can only open 1-6. The smaller Tesco Metro shops can open much longer hours, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Went to Outlet Saturday, no queues going through Newry at 1pm.
    Outlet car park was half full (half empty) and very few people around, couldn't believe how quite it was.
    Went to Asda in Westwood, busy but not overly so.
    Very low stock on the 3 for £10 wines (white) lots of red.
    Generally good value all round and well worth the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

Hi

I was in ASDA - Enniskillen on Saturday - in general amazed by the size and choice and prizes. The problem is the road connection Dublin-Enniskillen - is totally crap.
    What is the biggest ASDA after NEWRY (want to take the M1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

ASDA in Westwood. On M1 northbound take Junction 2. (You are almost in Belfast at this stage!) At lights take a left and ASDA is on the RHS just about 200-300 meters away. Sainsburys in the Kennedy Centre is literally about another 300 meters away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

lukasbasic wrote: »
    Hi

I was in ASDA - Enniskillen on Saturday - in general amazed by the size and choice and prizes. The problem is the road connection Dublin-Enniskillen - is totally crap.
    What is the biggest ASDA after NEWRY (want to take the M1)

If you can, the Newtownards one is much bigger and newer than Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭qwas75

went to NI last tuesday. it was my first time & i was just amazed!
    no rush, much cheaper... i ll definately will go there again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Spent 40mins swimming around Sainsburys carpark in Newry at midday (I know!), so we left and went up the road to Lisburn, bigger Sainsburys and M&S

Newry is and will be a nightmare from now on, unless you're there very early in the morning.

Some good deals

- 6 bottles of Guinness £4.22
    - 1ltr Baileys £10

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fordfocus1

are most of the shops open on the 26th of December ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

fordfocus1 wrote: »
    are most of the shops open on the 26th of December ?

Id check with the website of the shop your going to, I know Sainsburys in Newry is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 wackjob

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Another silly question, but whats the best bet in relation to currency when ya head up to the big shopping centres in Belfast i.e castlecourt and victoria square?
    Will they take euros or should I arrange to get some Sterling?

Also may I ask the same question about Banbridge and Lisburn?

Also any idea on where to go to exchange to get the best exchange rate , somewhere they won't screw you on charges for exchange???

Help is greatly appreciated

I loaded cash onto my prepaid mastercard and used that to shop. Exchange rate looked ok. www.payzonemoney.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Id check with the website of the shop your going to, I know Sainsburys in Newry is closed.

all supermakets are closed

Advertisement