Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pinksumo

Hi
    Nice Posting about Shopping Centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

not as worth it as it used to be but as another poster said check out the sainsbury website for offers as vodka was £11 for 75cl bottle and kenco coffee refills were £2.66 so that's two things i drink so got that - clothes are still working out cheaper though

one thing that i was a bit p*sssed about was they now charge for parking in the buttercrane! and no shop validates your ticket. when we were leaving went to machine and it said £2.50 but it wouldn't accept the final 50p payment even though we tried a few different coins, took out ticket andp ut it in again and it was £3.50! called the "help" button and he said it must have gone into another hour and i explained that i had the ticket in etc etc but he said that was what i had to pay and did i need someone to come down with change! so that was that, at least you can get your parking validated in the quays

grand day out (apart from tired baby) ... wanted eye test in specsavers was my main reason and test itself worked out slightly cheaper £20 versus €30 but the real saving is if you have the buy glasses - as it turned out mine were onlly slightly worse but current glasses will be ok for another while

probably won't be going up again for a long while but it's an idea to make a list of things that are cheaper in the north before you go i.e. do a bit of research

so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

With the new motorway finally bypassing Newry completely it is not much longer to hit Sprucefield which is a better Sainsbury.

I would estimate that from your usual turn off at the cloghue roundabout for Newry then you could well be at the Outlet Centre in about 10 minutes and at Sprucefield in 20-25 minutes. This would be assuming a steady 70-75 MPH on the road which is about the average speed of the cars on this road if not the actual speed limit.

There is no charges for parking in Sprucefield and no requirement for a pound in the trolley's either.

Overall I would have to say the extra drive is not too bad and not a major inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

The Guvnor wrote: »
    This would be assuming a steady 70-75 MPH on the road which is about the average speed of the cars on this road if not the actual speed limit.

Km/h.

Think metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

g32 wrote: »
    Km/h.

Think metric.

MPH, the UK still use proper units of measurement ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

bladespin wrote: »
    MPH, the UK still use proper units of measurement ;)

You may want to see a doctor about that party-line hook, line and sinker in your gullet.

Its not a proper unit of measurement.

MPH are an imperial system of measurement, now used by only 4 countries in the entire world. The metric system is used everywhere and is the internationally recognized system.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,878 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, you do realise that you are both pulling this thread completely off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

You may want to see a doctor about that party-line hook, line and sinker in your gullet.

MPH are an imperial system of measurement, now used by only 4 countries in the entire world. The metric system is used everywhere and is the internationally recognized system.
    Party line??? What on earth are you on about?

I don't care, he's talking about the speed the cars travel along that road in the UK, by all means contact the home office and have them change the units they use because you think they should, they use MPH.(a proper unit of measurement and one the majority still use here).

Point taken Muffler, the PSNI do police the limit on the Newry bypass : for anyone travelling.

Totally agree on Sprucefield, plenty of free parking, easy to find and they've Argos, ToysRus and B&Q there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

Sprucefield is definitely an option.

10mins further is the Falls Road. Sainsbury's there have their in-store signage as Gaeilge. There's an ASDA next door and a Lidl I think. Dunnes is around the corner too. Well worth a trip there. I found it felt more southern than Lisburn...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Wow. That person was being helpful, and this is the response you give? A person can't even make a joke without getting battered by freaks on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm off up north to look at some televisions. Thinking of heading to Lisburn after reading some comments on Newry here.

Wheres the best place in Lisburn to go? There doesnt seem to be a Currys there. Any ideas where would stock a pile of TVs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I'm off up north to look at some televisions. Thinking of heading to Lisburn after reading some comments on Newry here.

Wheres the best place in Lisburn to go? There doesnt seem to be a Currys there. Any ideas where would stock a pile of TVs?

Richer sounds in belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Anyone know if it would be worth my while travelling North for baby stuff....Travel system (pram, pushchair, car seat etc)??? And if so, where to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,878 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rebelreded wrote: »
    Anyone know if it would be worth my while travelling North for baby stuff....Travel system (pram, pushchair, car seat etc)??? And if so, where to go?
    A nephew of mine drove from Dublin to Newry last week to get a new baby seat for the car. Well it just wasnt that as he had his wife with him so I take it that they did a bit of shopping for other items also.

But as he is a tight ****er you can be sure that he definitely thought it was worth his while.

Not sure if thats of any help or not but it might do no harm to have a look round a couple of the online store first - Argos for example and then compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Still worth going up for baby stuff? We've our first due in 2 months and we're comtemplating another trip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

There is a Currys in Sprucefield retail centre just before you come to Lisburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Headed down to sainsbury's Newry this morning since I haven't been down in months and had some £STG to get rid of...certainly nowhere near the savings to be made that there used to be on a lot of stuff. The only good value is on their bogof offers and on their Basics range (stocked up on lots of tinned food) and for snack/junk type food.

Few good offers for LCD tellys and the like too, but meat, fruit/veg, dairy and bread is maybe 20-25% dearer than the republic.
    They've also changed the layout of the store (for the better) and of course drink is still good value but I feel a lot of the Irish supermarkets have finally brought down prices to a comparative level and the value of STG has affected the NI prices.

Still a way better selection than your average Tesco and still some good prices to be had, but noithing like 2008-09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Newbedshop.com - Authorised Merchant

Wertz wrote: »
    The only good value is on their bogof offers and on their Basics range (stocked up on lots of tinned food) and for snack/junk type food.

Still a way better selection than your average Tesco and still some good prices to be had, but noithing like 2008-09.

True! My gang love the basics curry sauce.... ONLY 9p!!!!!! Is like your normal chip shop curry sauce!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Agent_47 wrote: »
    There is a Currys in Sprucefield retail centre just before you come to Lisburn

At the moment there are two Currys in Sprucefield, one each side of the roundabout. The new one has replaced the PC World store. I was there today and is only half open, it will be very large when fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Anyone got any experince in DFS in belfast, was thinking of taking a trip up tomorrow for a new sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sundaybrunch

Junction One is easily the best shopping outlet in Ireland (well at least Northern Ireland)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I think I mentioned this once before on this thread....but that was about a year ago.....so for anyone going up in the coming weeks, I would recommend you get to The Shelbourne Cafe in Newry town for Breakfast or Brunch....it's an olde world feel with brilliant staff- great value Ulster Fry -also, cakes, breads etc- nothing "funky" or "mod"- you're talking black forest, cream buns etc etc ...but it's a great place to relax after a bit of shopping.... it's a bit of an institution being around for many many decades but in terms of this forum, it's very good value for what you get...both moneywise and service wise...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

True! My gang love the basics curry sauce.... ONLY 9p!!!!!! Is like your normal chip shop curry sauce!;)
    It probably is your normal chip-shop curry sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Cicero wrote: »
    I think I mentioned this once before on this thread....but that was about a year ago.....so for anyone going up in the coming weeks, I would recommend you get to The Shelbourne Cafe in Newry town for Breakfast or Brunch....it's an olde world feel with brilliant staff- great value Ulster Fry -also, cakes, breads etc- nothing "funky" or "mod"- you're talking black forest, cream buns etc etc ...but it's a great place to relax after a bit of shopping.... it's a bit of an institution being around for many many decades but in terms of this forum, it's very good value for what you get...both moneywise and service wise...

for all those who are going to shop in NI (many for the choice of goods rather than any price difference) please do as above did and support LOCAL businesses. Local cafes instead of brand name chains, local fashion stores instead of faceless UK chains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

91011 wrote: »
    for all those who are going to shop in NI (many for the choice of goods rather than any price difference) please do as above did and support LOCAL businesses. Local cafes instead of brand name chains, local fashion stores instead of faceless UK chains.

Can I just add faceless IRISH chains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We were up in Newry yesterday and to be honest, the savings really aren't there anymore for general groceries and baby-stuff.

The Supervalu on Hill Street had some excellent loss-leaders (2 X2L Coke for £1.64) but parking is a nightmare once you go into the town itself.

I'd suggest to people to go a little further and hit the large Tesco in Banbridge town.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hey everyone headin up to belfast end of the month, just wondering
    if any of ye know is there a big asda up there?

Went enniskillen last year and they have a massive one but thats about it!

Anyother shops worth going to in belfast??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 murphymike737

Someone in cork posted that if everyone in Cork spent €25/week extra, then 250 jobs extar could be sustained.
    @ed[/EMAIL] , but does it really make sense to be supporting a sterling economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

The world is full of what ifs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Cicero wrote: »

Google Streetview here. http://tinyurl.com/22o2k2y

I always get lost around Newry despite been up there countless times. The many bridges over the river and the canal and the parallel streets always get me, must be the only town in Ireland I get confused in, the traffic doesn't help :). So the streetcar is very good for finding your way around.

Advertisement