Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

snubbleste wrote: »
    Plan your shopping before you go!
    www.tesco.com www.sainsburys.com www.asda.com

I was in the aforementioned Falls area & the Boucher Retail Park over the weekend and was bowled over by the offers and normal prices in Asda, Sainsburys, Semi-chem and Sports Direct

For comparison shopping for Asda, Tesco, and Sainsburys, you can also use the MySupermarket site.

Obviously, there may be some local differences, but it should give you an idea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Hi all,

I wanted to buy a tv in Northern Ireland today but at the till they requested my address and postal code. I was told I cannot buy a tv if I am not from NI. Is there any way to omit that? Thanks

You could always use a fake address. This assumes you are using cash, credit card may kaybosh this.

I have not yet had an issue with Currys in Newry. However there are better deals to be had online. Crampton and Moore are good. Also richer sounds via the talk to section in the biz section of boards does good deals for boards.ie members!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

can anyone tell me teh parking charges in the Quays and if any of the shops validate your parking?
    If so, how much do you need to spend in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

Parking is £1 an hour and Sainsbury's will validate it for two hours. If you go over four hours I think it increases to £2 an hour. I'm not sure how much you have to spend in Sainsburys, we did a big shop the day we went.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

danois wrote: »
    OK first off let me apologize cause i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it anywhere!! I am heading up north on wed and I want to go to ASDA and ARGOS and SMYTHS and SAINSBURYS where is the best place to get them all?? Would sprucefield be best? or is enniskillen better? and i have been to newry but no further so could i ask for directions to where ever is best

Thanks a million

+1 - heading up this weekend to belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Smyths is the hardest one to find so base your destination choice around the location of one of same. I suggest somewhere up Belfast way.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hey, heading up to enniskillen next monday just wondering has anyone been to the Dunnes up there any price difference with southern prices??

And also if I buy a television up there will it work down here in limerick??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We were in Newry today - very very busy for a Wednesday.

Again, don't even think of going up there unless you plan to arrive before 9am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

We were in Newry today - very very busy for a Wednesday.

Again, don't even think of going up there unless you plan to arrive before 9am.

I had planned to go there, thank goodness I didn't.

Can I say I went to Smyth's in Blanchardstown to buy all my kids Santa Claus toys - and I checked all the prices against those on their UK website. I discovered I would only have saved €13.15 had I gone to Newry instead! I dodn't think it's worth it for all the petrol I would have used and then facing those crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Hey, heading up to enniskillen next monday just wondering has anyone been to the Dunnes up there any price difference with southern prices??

Dunnes is much cheaper up their its even cheaper than tesco in th north

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Will work 100% fine if looking at either a Sky Digital box or a cable box. However you may run into problems accessing some channels over analogue cable television or if you have an aerial to receive the UK channels. The UK TV's don't have VHF so any channels you pick up on this band won't be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

kelle wrote: »
    I had planned to go there, thank goodness I didn't.

Can I say I went to Smyth's in Blanchardstown to buy all my kids Santa Claus toys - and I checked all the prices against those on their UK website. I discovered I would only have saved €13.15 had I gone to Newry instead! I dodn't think it's worth it for all the petrol I would have used and then facing those crowds.

Need to bulk buy to make it worth your while. Tip up your shopping and/or Booze. 3 bottles of wine for £10 saves you MINIMUM a fiver on what you spend here. Plus all the deals for £1 and the general craic you have for a day out.

I only speak of Enniskillen - i feel sorry for the Dubs having to queue with each other, even outside their own city. *

*I really dont ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I only speak of Enniskillen - i feel sorry for the Dubs having to queue with each other, even outside their own city. *

*I really dont ;)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

havent been down in a while, what will it be like tomorrow do you reckon?

i should be there by 8:00-8:30, will it be ok for parking at that time do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

i was in newry yesterday and it was busy busy busy. went to buttercrane first as needed m&s, car park not too bad at 10.20 but when we were coming out it was much more packed. then over to the quays and that car park was v busy, the overflow car parks were in use which i haven't seen in a while.

sainsbury's was mental, nearly as bad as christmas and people buying drink like it was going to go out of production - how can people want so much drink? guy in til next to us bought over 5/6 boxes of barcardi and spent over £400. another guy was told by security he had enough so guess he had already been in and filled his trolley once with bacardi and was going for another trolley full - think the guys were together. anyway he had to walk away from his trolley and leave - i think it's a bit mean as leaves none for the rest of us?

luckily, i just wanted some port so got a few bottles of that and left - will be going to lisburn to do a big shop as a lot of stock looked like it was gone there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Heading up to newry tomorrow but l won't be leaving drogheda 'til 9.30am
    Maybe l'll just keep going and head for sprucefield instead!

Maybe that guy was buying the bacardi to sell it on down here for a profit?
    Maybe he owns a pub! :pac:

CPL 593H

thats what we were thinking - pub or shop; hope it's something like that or else him and his friends have a serious drink problem :D

furiousox wrote: »
    Heading up to newry tomorrow but l won't be leaving drogheda 'til 9.30am
    Maybe l'll just keep going and head for sprucefield instead!

oh i'd keep going if i were you - 9.30? on a friday? two reasons NOT to go to newry as it'll be v busy by then i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

When in Enniskillen I noticed that ASDA is 24 hour.
    What are the shelf stocks like at 10:00 in the evening or 6 in the morning for that matter? Has anyone shopped there during these hours? Around this time of the year
    Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

I've regularly been to ASDA in Enniskillen at 6am - shelves are always well stocked and I haven't had any problems getting anything I've been looking for. That said, I haven't been at Christmas time though I'm planning a very late night trip next week as my weekends are pretty booked up and I don't fancy dealing with the crowds.

It's surprisingly busy even very early in the morning but no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

Happyouter wrote: »
    When in Enniskillen I noticed that ASDA is 24 hour.
    What are the shelf stocks like at 10:00 in the evening or 6 in the morning for that matter? Has anyone shopped there during these hours? Around this time of the year
    Thanks alot.

i was planning on going up late some night but then i thought if i go in early hours of morning wouldny be able to get drink what are the hours drink is sold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

Lpfsox wrote: »
    I've regularly been to ASDA in Enniskillen at 6am - shelves are always well stocked and I haven't had any problems getting anything I've been looking for. That said, I haven't been at Christmas time though I'm planning a very late night trip next week as my weekends are pretty booked up and I don't fancy dealing with the crowds.

It's surprisingly busy even very early in the morning but no hassle.

Thanks for the update. Is drink sold 24hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Drink sold 8am to 11pm mon morn to sat nite. Sunday hours apply.

Think Sunday hours are 1-6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Why bother going to Newry ? Take a boat to Galway and Cork and buy up all the flood damaged stock at bargain prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

am staying in kilkeel next weekend just wondering is the asda there only food or does it sell electronics, toys and games etc

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

From my experiences the asda in kilkeel is terrible, very small and i dont think there is any clothes or electronics. But its been a year since ive been there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Went to Newry yesterday as planned, left Drogheda at 9.30am, traffic ok and no gridlock at the Quays SC.

ln Sainsburys with trolley for 10.30am, bought some groceries, about 8 btles of wine, box of beer some guinness and btle of Baileys
    lt was very busy, all tills open.
    Have to say l find the Sprucefield store is much better (bigger, more choice, clothing etc and not as crowded as Newry)

Had a look around the SC, Debenhams was good, reductions on all stock ranging from 20% to 50%
    Got a pair of 501's for £50stg (don't know how much they cost down here tbh, but l assume more?)
    Had a look in the Buttercrane too, it was also busy.

After that, headed to Smyths (newry) to 'do' Christmas.

We compared Smyths IRL/UK prices before we headed up and we saved about 150 euro by going North.

I'll try and post up what we bought and the savings we made later.

Also worth mentioning it's really noticeable how helpful and friendly all the shop staff are.

Here are the web addresses for Smyths lreland & Smyths UK, its worth cross checking the prices.

www.toys.ie

www.smythstoys.com

CPL 593H

thanks for the update furiousox .... we thinking we'd "do" christmas soon also and did wonder if there would be much of a difference between uk smyths and drogheda smyths so i'm just checking out the helpful links you put on your message .... bet you're happy that's all sorted - i haven't a clue what santa is going to bring for the girls. at least they are 0 - 4 years old so they don't have too much to say about it yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    am staying in kilkeel next weekend just wondering is the asda there only food or does it sell electronics, toys and games etc

thanks in advance

I went a few weeks ago. It is very small - it is not the sort of Asda that I would be used to in England. There are no clothes or electronics, but obviously the food is excellent value for money!

Belfast or Enniskillen have bigger stores I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

Hi All

have been following the posts for a while as i was planning a trip to the north for shopping. went yesterday evening at 4pm - hit newry at 5. traffic just at newry was mad - i think they are building a by pass (hurry up);) so we decided to keep going to sprucefield.

BTW i noticed someone posted that newry is more expensive TBH i dont think that is true as they post all the prices on the web, i took note of them and thats exactly what we paid. anyway sprucefield is about 40 mins on from newry - huge sainsburys which opens till 11 pm.

Heres some of the prices i paid. Magners (not bulmers) on special 2 x 8 500ml cans for £15. Coors light 2 x 15 bottles £15 . Guinness 2 x 10 cans £15. Bud 2 x 15 bottles £15.

some nice wines 3 for 10. baileys £14. smirnoff £15.

ibruprofen tabs (for the hangover - see above ;) ) 1.75
    calpol for babies - 2.78
    they had a special on all johnson prod. got baby powder 83p top to toe wash 1.16 baby lotion 1.27 sudocrem 1.68 (very cheap) cotton buds 48p

also got cfl bulbs for 10p each.

went to toys r us. my little girl wants a bmx . priced them here and they are anything from 110 to 350 euro. got a beautiful pink proper bmx bike for £70 and they assembled it.

the most expensive DS games are £25. my sis bought the DJ hero for £85 and its 123 euro here. they had great deals on the DSi console and 3 games for 145 sterling.

most places are doing the PS3 for about 250 with a couple of games.

Since we had gone that far we decided to venture a little further to ASDA 24hr in kennedy way Westwood Centre. It took us a further 10 mins drive to reach it. It was slightly more expensive on most alcohol products and all the specials shelves were empty although it was 11 at night and i guess once they are gone their gone.

I do think i saved a lot on the trip. wouldnt be doing it every week but we got a lot of drink / snacks / toys for christmas ALL of which have to be well hidden or i will have to go again:D

i have my (very long) receipt so if i can help with any other prices let me know.

Advertisement