Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

How about kitchen appliances, folks?

I know Curry's and B&Q do ovens, but most that I like from their web sites say home delivery only, and I'd prefer to collect in person.

To be fair, PowerCity in the republic seem to be reasonable value, and a B&Q brochure I got at the start of the year lists some good stuff too.

Thanks for any info,

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i'm going to go to sprucefield to sainsbury's but wondering is there an asda near by also..

many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

newtownland bt 23 4eu is the nearest i think, there is a store locator on the asda website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

tantipie wrote: »
    i'm going to go to sprucefield to sainsbury's but wondering is there an asda near by also..
    many thanks

If you continue up the M1 to just outside Belfast, there's a huge Asda, and a huge Sainsburys right beside each other at the Westwood Centre(google for map)
    This lady drove from Carlow
    Asda offer a much better rate than Sainsburys for €uro notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

There are other places to go to:
    Armagh - ecclesiastical capital of Ireland: Has Sainsburys, new shopping pedestrianised area (£6million recently spent), Market theatre, cinema, good restaurants (uluru for e.g.) Good parking and all easy walking. http://www.visitarmagh.com/
    Rushmere shopping centre - just outside Portadown. http://www.rushmereshopping.com/ shows it all. Large Debenhams etc...

Some of the smaller towns along the way are taking €1 for £1 - you have to look for the shops that have the sign.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

tantipie wrote: »

many thanks

hi tantipie

if you continue past sprucefield staying on the m1 toward belfast about 7 mins on is the westwood centre on kennedy way . there is an asda (24hr) and a new sainsburys. there is also more general shops there than in sprucefield. as per my post asda was slightly more expensive on the alcohol. the thing to do is just before you go check out mysupermarket.com and they price check the main stores.

you can put in the search the main items you are looking for and they will check them against asda , sainsburys and tesco.

someone from the north told me today that dunnes in northern ireland is cheaper than all the above but you cant check on the internet as they dont have on line groceries.

hope it helps
    ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulam10

hi ck2
    do you know if the sainsburys in the kennedy centre is bigger than the one in sprucefield?
    thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

paulam10 wrote: »
    hi ck2
    do you know if the sainsburys in the kennedy centre is bigger than the one in sprucefield?
    thanx

sainsbury's kennedy centre is the biggest supermarket in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

thanks so much everyon,we are going to head to westwood centre,
    thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi all - I did a quick search on this thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned it so here goes - does anyone know where is good to go for glasses (spectacles :p) up North. I'm hoping to drive up on Friday, most likely will end up in Belfast (driving from Dublin early am).

I have my prescription from Specsavers and know from the website that hte €189 glasses are £125 on the websites. Anyone have any experience in big stores with a good selection up North?!

Any advice appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulam10

thanx milly4ever. will take a trip there the next time i'm up north:D

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hi all - I did a quick search on this thread and I don't think anyone has mentioned it so here goes - does anyone know where is good to go for glasses (spectacles :p) up North. I'm hoping to drive up on Friday, most likely will end up in Belfast (driving from Dublin early am).

I have my prescription from Specsavers and know from the website that hte €189 glasses are £125 on the websites. Anyone have any experience in big stores with a good selection up North?!

Any advice appreciated!

there are the usuals like specsavers. you may also want to try the tesco extra at knocknagoney- they have very cheap frames- they were doing bench ones for £60 and eye test are free.

milly4ever wrote: »
    there are the usuals like specsavers. you may also want to try the tesco extra at knocknagoney- they have very cheap frames- they were doing bench ones for £60 and eye test are free.

Do you know where is a good Specsavers to go to by any chance? I know they all differ depending on the size of the store, hard to tell from the websites which ones are big or not!

Do you know where is a good Specsavers to go to by any chance? I know they all differ depending on the size of the store, hard to tell from the websites which ones are big or not!
    there is one on Ann Street in belfast city centre beside the victoria square shopping centre, I've also been to the one in Buttercrane, Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Hi CorkGirl,

I read on boards a while back that a lot of people get their eyes tested and then buy the glasses online, I think there is an actual glasses/contacts section within boards.

Apparently far, far cheaper than any shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Spent the weekend shopping in Belfast .
    Alcohol Highlights
    Sol Lager 330ml - 30 for £15 (Sainsburys). Is €10.99 for 4 in Tesco !!
    Angel's Bay Wine £8 each or 3 for £10 Asda
    Bulmers Pt BOTTLES - 16 for £14 Asda

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Hi CorkGirl,

I read on boards a while back that a lot of people get their eyes tested and then buy the glasses online, I think there is an actual glasses/contacts section within boards.

Apparently far, far cheaper than any shop.

Thanks Guvnor - I just find it hard enough to get glasses to suit me as my face is a bit on the small side :o so I really need to try them on in person!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

According to the radio today, it was manic up North with the Quays & Buttercrane doing the same amount of business they would normally do on a Saturday in December!
    7 mile tailbacks into Newry at one stage :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

okidoki987 wrote: »
    According to the radio today, it was manic up North with the Quays & Buttercrane doing the same amount of business they would normally do on a Saturday in December!

Public service strike and massive queues in Newry...Coincidence..I think not :confused:

Thanks Guvnor - I just find it hard enough to get glasses to suit me as my face is a bit on the small side :o so I really need to try them on in person!

I have the opposite problem but I too would find it hard to buy them online.

Just on this - apparently there is a number that you need to buy the correct lenses online which a lot of opticians keep to themselves precisely for this reason.

• Advertisement

bellucio wrote: »
    Public service strike and massive queues in Newry...Coincidence..I think not :confused:

There are also heavy roadworks going on at the cloghue roundabout which do not help matters.

There are of course ways into Newry which avoid all of the traffic but believe me some of these roads are narrow and I mean narrow for one car let alone meeting quarry trucks as I have had the pleasure of doing so! Plus unless you know exactly where you are going very easy to end up in Omeath or well into south armagh dependent upon which side you are on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Can't seem to find this online. Does anyone know the opening hours of Dunnes Stores in Enniskillen please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

okidoki987 wrote: »

My guess is since the kids werent in school and the parents had to stay home to mind them, they thought they might nip up to Newry with the kids to beat the weekend crowds. All had the same idea - backfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭furiousox

Can't seem to find this online. Does anyone know the opening hours of Dunnes Stores in Enniskillen please.

Here you go

http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=17

Opening Hours
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    08.30 - 20.0008.30 - 20.0008.30 - 21.0008.30 - 22.0008.30 - 22.0008.30 - 19.0013.00 - 18.00

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

went up to newry yesturday(tuesday) and it took me under 3 hours.:eek:
    never happened before. i was in traffic for 50 mins barely moving...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

in Enniskillen today, the road to Asda passing by Erneside shopping centre was flooded which is apparantly why there was a fooking crazy traffic jam all the way back to the Toyota garage on the Sligo road, took me 1Hr 25Minutes to get from that garage to Asda, normally around a 5 minute journey, pisser
    Heatons doing €1 for £1 which was deadly, nothing else in particular popped out at me, and for some reason neither of our mobiles worked?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

Hi, just wondering if anyone has been to the tesco in banbridge?
    Going north on saturday and as we have a Tesco privilege card get an extra 10% off at the till.
    Does anyone know if its a large store( as opposed to an express) and does it have toys etc..
    Have done my homework on booze and can get the following bargains attached

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ck2

paulam10 wrote: »
    hi ck2
    thanx

hi

yes the sainsburys is huge in kennedy centre and brand new. the benefit of kennedy over sprucefield is that there is more variety of shops close together plus asda is there so you can do price comparision. we checked everything on line before we went. we also reserved some items in argos so we could just go and collect them. also saw on the tv last night that argos.co.uk are doing a good bit of 50% off toys so it might be worth a look.

hope this helps
    ck2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angela laoise

slave1 wrote: »
    in Enniskillen today, the road to Asda passing by Erneside shopping centre was flooded which is apparantly why there was a fooking crazy traffic jam all the way back to the Toyota garage on the Sligo road, took me 1Hr 25Minutes to get from that garage to Asda, normally around a 5 minute journey, pisser
    Heatons doing €1 for £1 which was deadly, nothing else in particular popped out at me, and for some reason neither of our mobiles worked?
    oh im going to enniskillen mon week am i better off going to newry cant decide which is best coming from portlaoise :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Tesco in Banbridge is a full size store (Superstore). Was there last year , got some good bargains . You can register using a Banbridge postcode for online shopping at Tesco.co.uk and then compare prices with Sains/Asda

Advertisement