Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Dooish.

The reason I asked the question was I normally go up on a sat and am hitting the tills when the exchange rate is going up, but...........there's always a but. Was up on a Monday morn ( bh down here) and they were putting up a new exchange rate in Asda.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Dooish.

The reason I asked the question was I normally go up on a sat and am hitting the tills when the exchange rate is going up, but...........there's always a but. Was up on a Monday morn ( bh down here) and they were putting up a new exchange rate in Asda.

probably changing the pos, btw i work there

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

hi, we're thinking of maybe taking our first trip up north in a couple of weeks or so I'm particularly after a laptop (nothing too tech - it's for my daughter) and maybe a PS3 - where's the best place to go....and is it easy to get around bearing in mind that even though I'm a good driver I get a little nervous driving around towns I don't know - think - a lot of shouting in the car....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

You usually get a decent laptop deal in Tesco, but if you went to Lisburn you could look around PC World, and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Realtine wrote: »
    hi, we're thinking of maybe taking our first trip up north in a couple of weeks
    Avoid Newry at the weekends - it's a complete zoo between now and Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Agree to some extent with what DublinWriter says but I wouldn't avoid it cause there is great bargains to be had.

Was in Sainburys in the Kennedy Centre on Saturday to do my weekly shop and on returning to the ROI via Newry, the place was absolute mayhem but as said it's worth it if you are saving a few hundred €

You are best going onwards to Belfast, it's only 30 minutes extra and the road is grand, it's one straight road the entire way until you hit Sprucefield and turn onto the M1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Aly9

I use to travel up myself but found it quite time consuming and a bit of a pain really - a neighbour of mine recently put me on to this crowd called dealhunter.ie
    Basically they will get all your shopping delivered to you and are very reasonable with their rates. I get Asda groceries every couple of weeks but have also got stuff from Argos and B&Q...im actually telling my mates especially coming up to xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Realtine wrote: »
    hi, we're thinking of maybe taking our first trip up north in a couple of weeks or so I'm particularly after a laptop (nothing too tech - it's for my daughter) and maybe a PS3 - where's the best place to go....and is it easy to get around bearing in mind that even though I'm a good driver I get a little nervous driving around towns I don't know - think - a lot of shouting in the car....!

was up there a few weeks ago in enniskillen currys and tesco really had gud prices on there electrical stuff and also argos have really good sales would be worth checking them out to!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

and also argos have really good sales would be worth checking them out to!
    With the current exchange rate you would find that Argos in NI are typically around 15% cheaper than here and thats paying by euro too. They always have in-store offers and most weeks they will have a "sale" on a particular range of goods.

Im lucky in this regard as there are 2 Argos stores within about 15 minutes drive from where I live - one in Letterkenny and the other in Strabane. Not too difficult to guess which one I use the most ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

I went up to Newry the Sunday before last, and I was wondering if I was in the right place! We sailed through Newry, straight past the Sainsbury's and went through to Kilkeel to the Asda there. It was a rainy day, but I could not believe my luck. I parked in Asda at 12:50 and when it opened at 1pm there were 5 of us in the queue! Now granted, Kilkeel is a small store and probably not the main place people go, but I was amazed at how easy it was!

From reading the other posts, I would say this must have been a fluke?

I havent read all the posts, so what I am going to say is probably a repeat, but I will say it anyway! Lovely little chemist opposite the Asda in Kilkeel, offering straight £/€ if you pay in cash. Lovely gift items. Sooo cheap!

And Savers in Newry. I nearly wet myself (not really) over the prices.

As for the drink in Asda, well 15 bottles of Miller and 12 Smirnoff Ices €19.00. Enough said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

went up yesterday to newry(sainsbuyrs) and banbrigde (tesco) took 5 hours round trip.

288 sterling converted to 320 Euros
    1/3 Grocery
    1/3 Toys
    1/3 Booze
    Exact stuff here In Tesco/Smyths 465 Euros

How can you justify shopping here with these differences!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

well done you working out the difference in shopping here and in the north. this year i've been up once every month if not twice! just one example of prices was was fairy non bio, pack for £4 in sainsbury and same one in local supervalue €12.79 - it was a special offer in sainsbury but still .... there was something else which had a massive difference but can't remember now? anyway, as you say, how can they expect us to shop in the south? i can't afford to

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One little thing Id point out is that the tins of Roses, Quality Street etc can probably be bought just as cheap here (if not cheaper) so dont go stacking the boot as the space could be used more wisely.

The only exception to this would be if the tins are on special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

you are right muffler, you would need to know the price of good here as there is no point buying for the sake of buying in the north as sometimes items are on offer in the south e.g. i bought a box of bulmers for £10 not having a clue of the cost here as i don't buy it but when i got home hubby told me it was €10 somewhere near - don't think it was supermarket but that 'll teach me to buy drink for him - i'll stick to my port and vodka which i know i'm getting cheaper - btw 1litre vodka is £15 in sainsbury at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

Heading to Enniskillen for first time this Saturday...
    Some questions I hope are not too stupid.

1. Erneside seems to be the place where all shopping done?
    2. Do the Trolleys only take sterling coins?
    3. I see that take euros so that should be fine in ASDA / Tesco?
    4. Are baby products cheaper? Nappies, wipes etc. (Pampers)
    5. Can you buy drink from off-license at 9:00 in the morning.
    6. Planning to be up there early about 8:30...

If anyone has any other advice.

Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hey happyouter, was only up there a few weeks ago for my first time and going up again in 2 weeks. Hope i can help!
    Happyouter wrote: »
    1. Erneside seems to be the place where all shopping done?.
    there is a good few shops in the shopping centre big enough next and argos and marks and spencers and there was also a christmas shop just opening when i was there.
    2. Do the Trolleys only take sterling coins?
    Well i used my trolley key on my car keys and it worked so i would say it would take both a euro or a pound or a trolley key.
    3. I see that take euros so that should be fine in ASDA / Tesco?
    Yup most of the shops do asda tesco b&m also good shop they just total it off in euro and you get back change in pounds then.
    4. Are baby products cheaper? Nappies, wipes etc. (Pampers)
    They had the big boxes of nappies when i was up ther think it was like a2 boxes for £16 and also pampers sensetive wipes only £1 wheres here in dunnes €3.29
    6. Planning to be up there early about 8:30...
    perfect time nmight be quite was there at 9 o clock and was MAD!!!

Have Fun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

muffler wrote: »
    One little thing Id point out is that the tins of Roses, Quality Street etc can probably be bought just as cheap here (if not cheaper) so dont go stacking the boot as the space could be used more wisely.

The only exception to this would be if the tins are on special offer.

On last months prices, you would have saved just one Euro per box- Sweets and biscuits in previous years were much more expensive here than the north but fair dues to the supermarkets (at least my local supervalu), they've brought their prices down for these items

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

A 20 cent coin will work in most pound coin operated trollies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulam10

does anybody know where is the kennedy centre? and is the sainsburys bigger than the 1 in sprucefield? thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

paulam10 wrote: »
    does anybody know where is the kennedy centre? and is the sainsburys bigger than the 1 in sprucefield? thanx

It is the first exit of the M1 when entering Belfast. Probably a 5 minute drive from the Lisburn Retail Park. (6.7 mls according to google Maps).

It is straight behind the Westwood Shopping Centre (which has an ASDA). When you get off the M1 take the first left in the roundabout at the end of the exit. First you will see the Westwood Shopping Centre (and a McD) on the right. Pass it, and go right in the roundabout. 200m down you will see a Lidl on the same side, and the Kennedy Centre is only another 100m further down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

went to belfast yesterday both the kennedy centre and westwood shopping centre

westwood has an asda which i personally found alot cheaper thank sainsburys.

at the moment offers in asda include

3 for £10 wines
    Litre bottles Baileys £9
    15x 440ml Carlsberg £10
    3 packs of 4 AA Energizer Ultra + Batteries for £3

Sainsburys Deals:
    Becks 18 bottles 275ml for £7.74
    Carlsberg 15x440ml £10
    Fosters 15x440ml £10
    Big Bags of Wagg Dry Dog Food £7

we also visited the Boucher Retail Park:

which has:

Burtons
    Dorithy Perkins
    Tk Maxx
    Carphone Warehouse
    Matalan
    Hmv
    Sports Direct
    Nevada Bobs golf shop
    Cotswold Outdoors travel gear, adventure gear and outdoors gear
    InStore homeware,
    Au Naturale homeware
    New Look clothes
    The Jeanery clothes
    Boots pharmacy and health and beauty store

i took a loan of a mini bus and 4 of us went north and filled it to the gills saved a nice few bob pity about no 3 for 2 deals on boxes of beers like last year from sainsburys.

Neonitrix

ps i also supported the irish economy by paying:

M50 toll both ways
    M1 toll both ways
    €52.00 in diesel for the return journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paulam10

thanx dubdani. i know where the asda store is! the next time i must go to the kennedy centre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pearlpunjabi

Hi all,

I wanted to buy a tv in Northern Ireland today but at the till they requested my address and postal code. I was told I cannot buy a tv if I am not from NI. Is there any way to omit that? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Hi all,

I wanted to buy a tv in Northern Ireland today but at the till they requested my address and postal code. I was told I cannot buy a tv if I am not from NI. Is there any way to omit that? Thanks

That's strange, I bought a tv in the north a couple of years ago and encountered no such hurdle. What shop were you trying to buy the tv in?

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

It's for TV licensing purposes. Every shop that sells TV needs to record the Housenumber and Postal Code of the buyer.

You could google for something (or someone) and just use any Postal Code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

Went to Enniskillen on Saturday and will now go more often. Drink, Baby stuff, Shampoos, etc much cheaper in ASDA. Was there at 8:45. When leaving at 11:00 it was getting very busy.

If these are not good value and can get cheaper down here let me know.
    prices in sterling.

1 ltr vodka (smir) 14
    15 miller 7
    6 bottles hardy wine(wrong spelling) 20
    1 ltr powes 14
    Baileys 8 i think.

I think it would be a good idea it people scans there receipts and put them up as image. We might get an idea of the price of things.

We did not go near veg / breads / cereals. If anyone knows about these please let me know.

Also took a trip up to Tesco and that is a bit more expensive than ASDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hi all,

Last time I bought one in Argos in NI (which I subsequently returned), I told them I was from the RoI at the point of sale and they used a postcode that covers all of the Republic. I don't recall what it was offhand, but it covers them for their disclosure agreement to the BBC or whoever.

Tell them this in the shop and if they refuse the sale just go elsewhere.

Note also that some shops may have an issue with selling you a TV in case it has compatability issues down here with signal or freeview...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think it would be a good idea it people scans there receipts and put them up as image. We might get an idea of the price of things.

Plan your shopping before you go!
    www.tesco.com www.sainsburys.com www.asda.com

I was in the aforementioned Falls area & the Boucher Retail Park over the weekend and was bowled over by the offers and normal prices in Asda, Sainsburys, Semi-chem and Sports Direct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Its been mentioned a few times that Asda are usually cheaper than Sainsburys.

I bought just 3 items in Sainsburys yesterday and was surprised at the lack of price difference on these. I've added Adsa's webprices but dont know if these are the price on the shelves.

I also bought wine and wasnt able to compare as the same brands werent available in Dunnes here.

Persil Nonbio tablets (40ish tabs)Sainsburys £5.98
    Dunnes €7.25
    Asda web price £2.97 (20pck)
    Dunnes approx 30c more expensive than Sainsburys

Lynx shower gel Sainsburys £2.28
    Dunnes €2.45 (reduced from €3.49)
    Asda web price £1.00
    Dunnes approx 20c cheaper than Sainsburys

WilkinsonQuattroTitanium 8pack blades Sainsburys £10.24
    Dunnes €5.69 (4pack)
    Asda web price £4.97 (4 pck)
    Dunnes approx 26c cheaper than Sainsburys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

OK first off let me apologize cause i am sure this has been asked but i cant find it anywhere!! I am heading up north on wed and I want to go to ASDA and ARGOS and SMYTHS and SAINSBURYS where is the best place to get them all?? Would sprucefield be best? or is enniskillen better? and i have been to newry but no further so could i ask for directions to where ever is best

Thanks a million

Advertisement