Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Live In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

KristianS wrote: »
    Just an update and a question.

I'm researching Wexford and Galway. These two seem to be the most highly recommended by you guys. After that it will be Cork and Limerick.

Can you recommend the nicest towns to consider in these places? Somewhere relatively close to the sea or river / lake?

galway city, small enough to be friendly, big enough with all the amenties you need (something many small irish towns don't have btw), its next to the sea and the republics biggest lake loch corrib and it sits on the river corrib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm researching Wexford and Galway. These two seem to be the most highly recommended by you guys. After that it will be Cork and Limerick.

Can you recommend the nicest towns to consider in these places? Somewhere relatively close to the sea or river / lake?

Just a note about the Gaeltacht part of Connemara (the western half of County Galway, near along the coast past Furbo).

You can't buy property there unless you can prove your proficiency in speaking Irish. And even if you can, you have to prove that your job makes it imperative that you live there.

Galway City would definitely suit your needs. Not too big, not too small. People are friendly and it has both freshwater and marine fishing/angling. Loads for the kids to do, adventure centres, cinemas, playgrounds, sports groups, dance, theatre, and most importantl of all, the pubs in Ireland.

Plus, not sure what part of Uk you would like to travel to from Galway, but you can fly to Manchester, London Luton, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Cardiff from Galway. If they're not enough, Shannon Airport is just an hour way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

kraggy wrote: »

Plus, not sure what part of Uk you would like to travel to from Galway, but you can fly to Manchester, London Luton, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Cardiff from Galway. If they're not enough, Shannon Airport is just an hour way.

Don't forget good old Knock Airport - only about 1 hr from Galway - flights from Birmingham , Stansted, Nottingham and I think Liverpool. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ogham wrote: »
    Don't forget good old Knock Airport - only about 1 hr from Galway - flights from Birmingham , Stansted, Nottingham and I think Liverpool. ;)

That's true. And to think I'm related to the founder :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

slickmcvic wrote: »
    Top 20 Towns Best Places to Live (Pop 1500 or more)

16 Carrigaline
    ROFL

Potentially nice......but the amount of scumbags hanging around......RIDICULOUS!

Well.......it does have a Lennox's actually..........Hmmm....tough one:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

LOL Carrigaline at number 16, scum central!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

A Horan! One of that illustrious dynasty....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jaysus I hope one of the first two work out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

WICKLA!!! It has to be...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Jaysus I hope one of the first two work out for you.

OP im sure you have wised up and decided not to move to Ireland, but here is is a perfect reason not to move to or even visit the place..

Charming guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 apathetic84

No my good coldplay liking man of physics. It is because Cork is a SHIT HOLE!
    Trust me. I lived there for a while. Wouldnt recommend it. Locals were a bunch of PROCs

we are entitled to our own opinions i suppose:confused:
    really
    i live in cork its not too bad
    only place i'd live outside of cork would be galway

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andrey

Galway is the best place in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

slickmcvic wrote: »
    10 Newcastle

Newcastle, Co Dublin? WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Cork bashing is like Welsh bashing in the Uk - it has become fashionable in recent years - always has been the case for a long while to a certain extent by some Dubs as Cork though a helluva lot smaller than Dublin is the second city in Ireland but also lately by some other people from the rest of the country, mostly nomarks who resent the fact that Corkonians got another city to look to besides Dublin as their city :D.

anyway rebel rant over... Cork is the largest county in Ireland and has got some great spots in it. I have to admit Cork City itself wouldn't fit into the bill as a beautiful spot but hardly as bad as what begrudgers make it out to be - in fact in a poll a couple years back - it was ranked as no.2 in Europe for residents happiness with the city they lived in.

Personally though all of Ireland is just too f'in cold. Come over to Portugal where you can get a tan on a day out in November :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

Carrick on Shannon might suit. Small town, west of ireland, plenty of fishing and nice people. Easy to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

clonskeagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

luckylucky wrote: »
    Cork bashing is like Welsh bashing in the Uk - it has become fashionable in recent years - always has been the case for a long while to a certain extent by some Dubs as Cork though a helluva lot smaller than Dublin is the second city in Ireland but also lately by some other people from the rest of the country, mostly nomarks who resent the fact that Corkonians got another city to look to besides Dublin as their city :D.

anyway rebel rant over... Cork is the largest county in Ireland and has got some great spots in it. I have to admit Cork City itself wouldn't fit into the bill as a beautiful spot but hardly as bad as what begrudgers make it out to be - in fact in a poll a couple years back - it was ranked as no.2 in Europe for residents happiness with the city they lived in.

Personally though all of Ireland is just too f'in cold. Come over to Portugal where you can get a tan on a day out in November :D

:(

i want to be in portugal.:o

but sayin tat ireland isnt that cold in novmber..not great but its been good enough i tink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

You're from Wales but you want to live somewhere where people are friendly to the English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Galway and only Galway!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have to admit Cork City itself wouldn't fit into the bill as a beautiful spot
    I actually think Cork city is beautiful. Look at the view from Patrick's Hill/Old Youghal Road of a misty morning - it's awesome.
    I don't think Ireland's cold at all (in general), its temperature is actually quite moderate. It is extremely wet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Cork is a dirty dump
    CORK IS Ireland's most littered city and nearby Cobh its dirtiest town, according to the latest survey carried out for Ibal, the Irish Business Against Litter campaign.
    The survey - the second carried out by An Taisce for Ibal this year - also brought disappointing news for Tullamore, Co Offaly.
    The town, which had protested its position as one of Ireland's blackspots in the previous survey in June, has retained a ranking as "seriously littered", alongside Cobh and Bray, Co Wicklow.
    But there was good news overall with "spectacular improvements" recorded in litter levels across the State.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1020/1224454388458.html

And still the 'rebels' refer to Dirty Dublin...

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think Ireland's cold at all (in general), its temperature is actually quite moderate. It is extremely wet though.

Ok it doesn't get the extremes of temperature of say somewhere like New York or have the cold winters of Scandanavia. It has relatively genuinely few hot days also though.

Here's the nearest town in Portugal to me

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:POXX0076&q=Tomar%2c+PRT+forecast:averagesm

compare it to Dublin

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:EIXX0014&q=Dublin%2c+IRL+forecast:averagesm

There's about 8 degrees difference on average between the daily highs. Tomar actually gets more rainfall than Dublin but I think less days of Rain - it tends to rain heavy here when it does rain rather than the frequent misty drizzle you get in Ireland.

Also my area in the Iberian Peninsula isn't especially hot - if you want real heat look at the likes of Seville

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:SPXX0074&q=Seville%2c+ESP+forecast:averagesm :eek:

Too hot for me personally.

Anyway I'm sure the weather in Ireland suits a lot of people just fine - but I'd be lying if I didn't say I prefer the sunshine over here. :)

Cork is a dirty dump

I actually thought Cork looked a helluva lot cleaner on my last visit there a couple of weeks ago, Dublin too for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I take it from your post that you want to live in a rural-ish area not too far from a city? Move to South Connemara. Look up villages like Spiddal or Inverin. A short drive from Galway city, excellent quality of life, views of the sea, plenty of fishing, friendly locals who still don't find it necessary to lock their doors at night. Its idyllic/cultural sort of rural, not hick/backward sort of rural. Hope you don't mind rain though :pac:

Ok it doesn't get the extremes of temperature of say somewhere like New York or have the cold winters of Scandanavia. It has relatively genuinely few hot days also though.

Here's the nearest town in Portugal to me

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:POXX0076&q=Tomar%2c+PRT+forecast:averagesm

compare it to Dublin

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:EIXX0014&q=Dublin%2c+IRL+forecast:averagesm

There's about 8 degrees difference on average between the daily highs. Tomar actually gets more rainfall than Dublin but I think less days of Rain - it tends to rain heavy here when it does rain rather than the frequent misty drizzle you get in Ireland.

Also my area in the Iberian Peninsula isn't especially hot - if you want real heat look at the likes of Seville

http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:SPXX0074&q=Seville%2c+ESP+forecast:averagesm :eek:

Too hot for me personally.

Anyway I'm sure the weather in Ireland suits a lot of people just fine - but I'd be lying if I didn't say I prefer the sunshine over here. :)

I actually thought Cork looked a helluva lot cleaner on my last visit there a couple of weeks ago, Dublin too for that matter.
    Yeah, Ireland's not hot, not cold, just somewhere in the middle. It can get quite humid actually - today is very mild for November.
    Cork is actually a couple of degrees warmer than Dublin. I must say there were a few winter days when I lived in Dublin and it was cold unlike anything I'd ever experienced. And I'm not a cold creature.
    cornbb wrote: »
    Its idyllic/cultural sort of rural, not hick/backward sort of rural.
    Oh that's very well put. There are two West Corks and each one fits into either category.

Cork is actually a couple of degrees warmer than Dublin.

Actually according to msn Cork is a bit cooler than Dublin - but that could have more to do with the readings probably being taken from Cork Airport which is a cold spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There are two West Corks...

What kind of a magical place is this????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's another thing that makes me puke. The Rebel stuff.

That said, none of the cool Corkies I've met go on with the Peoples Republic of Cock and Rebel stuff, only the bell-ends.

What kind of a magical place is this????
    You got your posh, farmers market, organic, eco-friendly, English-y West Cork - Rosscarbery, Leap, Glandore, Skibbereen, Clonakilty.
    Then you've got the other side to West Cork - Dunmanway, Bandon, Enniskeane. Grittier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Why would you want to move here? This place has gone to the dogs in the last couple of years. For example take Cork, Dublin, Galway or Limerick you might as well be in any other city in the world, At least then you might have some form of infrastructure and it might not be raining every day. Sure there is plenty to do but be prepared to pay through the nose for it and god help you if you think that you can just take a day out to go fishing!! you might as well just sit in your car on the driveway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement