Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Live In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's been no mention of Kerry, probably because it's a separate country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

IronMan wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? Roscommon is easily the worst county in Ireland. A desolate place, peppered with towns where unambitious men with yellowed teeth, unkempt hair, and wrangler jeans stare out of pub windows. Where a social life consists of getting a bag of chips after the pub closes. And where the chief topic of conversation is about your cousin Fidelma who went to the big smoke, and is shacked up with some flash harry from Mullingar.

you have described every town in every county there :D

OP you do realise it rains alot here in Ireland, alot. you have everything you could want in malta and great weather year round. when i was in malta in february i experienced weather i wouldn't see here in july :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Are you having a laugh? Roscommon is easily the worst county in Ireland. A desolate place, peppered with towns where unambitious men with yellowed teeth, unkempt hair, and wrangler jeans stare out of pub windows. Where a social life consists of getting a bag of chips after the pub closes. And where the chief topic of conversation is about your cousin Fidelma who went to the big smoke, and is shacked up with some flash harry from Mullingar.

Ehh, i dont think you picked up on the sarcasam in my post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Schloker5000

Welsh Person _ We have in Ireland, like the UK, an inordinate percentage of socially retarded folk amongst the general population (people who litter, wear tracksuits, speak with very limited vocabulary, wear foreign soccer jerseys, get free houses, generally don't realise/care that they live in a society, etc..) in the UK they are referred to as "Chavs", in Ireland we call them "Skobies", "Skangers", "Vermin" etc.... to avoid these types, elect to live in areas not on this list; Dublin , Cork, Cobh, Limerick, Galway, Belfast, any medium to large county towns really. The Blasket Islands have not had a recorded Skobie Sighting, so check out real estate there, tends to get a bit damp though. I debated leaving my country after spending last Sunday afternoon walking visitors around Dublin city centre last weekend - I am embarrassed to call myself Irish, what a litter strewn scruffy skobie-filled kip. Excepting the above rant, we are generally a nice bunch over here, mostly willing to help strangers without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

my mate pat tells me that the best place to live in ireland is manchester -- when i told him manchester is not in ireland .he said [lets go down to murphys bar and talk about it}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

KristianS wrote: »
    I'd like something coastal (I'm big on fishing), a town relatively close to a city (30 / 40 mins drive or so), friendly to the English, good local schools and hospital.
    Being all serious now (you're gonna get a lot of piss-takey answers here on After Hours and that's fair enough as it's a light-hearted forum, but your question is a serious one): there's a number of places that absolutely fit your criteria (Cork, Galway and Waterford jumping out in particular). Dublin does too, but nice coastal towns 30 or 40 minutes' drive from Dublin city are extremely expensive places in which to live. The traffic is a nightmare too.

I can obviously tell you about Cork - there is a lot of anti Cork sentiment here as it's kinda a running thing between Cork and Dublin people, plus Cork people are considered overly proud of their town (there's even a website and "state of mind" called the People's Republic of Cork!) It's mostly just a bit of tongue-in-cheek banter however (although not always) but don't let the anti Cork sentiment cloud your judgement. Anyone who takes all the Cork v Dublin slagging and the totally ironic People's Republic of Cork stuff seriously (no matter what side of the fence they're on) ain't the brightest!
    There are beautiful coastal towns in West Cork and South West Cork - e.g. Clonakilty, Skibbereen and Kinsale. West Cork is spectacular - and full of British. Kinsale is probably on the pricey side though but no harm checking it out. These places are about 30 or 40 minutes' drive from Cork city centre.

Cork city is very small - population, if you include the commuter belt, about 250,000 or less. But it's big enough for there to be a lot to do and a great buzz. No major traffic problems either.
    I've lived in Dublin and I loved it, but I find life a lot easier since returning to Cork.
    I don't know of any British people having to put up with crap here either. That nonsense is extremely rare. I presume you're enquiring about friendliness to the English because people assume you're English? A Welsh guy I know here gets the "What part of England are you from?" question quite a lot.

Just an aside: the strong Cork accent is... hilarious. Difficult to keep a straight face I'd imagine if you're not familiar with it. It actually sounds a bit like the Welsh one at times. And the two blend together very well. My boss is Welsh and living here over 30 years - he has a mixture of both accents and they complement each other perfectly!
    Welsh Person _ We have in Ireland, like the UK, an inordinate percentage of socially retarded folk amongst the general population (people who litter, wear tracksuits, speak with very limited vocabulary, wear foreign soccer jerseys, get free houses, generally don't realise/care that they live in a society, etc..) in the UK they are referred to as "Chavs", in Ireland we call them "Skobies", "Skangers", "Vermin" etc.... to avoid these types, elect to live in areas not on this list; Dublin , Cork, Cobh, Limerick, Galway, Belfast, any medium to large county towns really.
    That rules out nearly everywhere but I'd agree with Cobh in East Cork (pronounced "cove"). It's not a coastal town but it's a harbour one and it has quite the scumbag contingent. Ditto Youghal, also in East Cork. It's coastal and not as rough as Cobh but there is quite the scum problem too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Let me recommend to you somewhere around my own home patch - the border areas of Galway and Mayo.

We got the sea and we have the second and third biggest lakes in the island (Lough Corrib and Lough Mask) - all good for fishing. Close to a city/big town in Galway or slightly smaller places like Castlebar or Westport (Galway has about 3 hospitals and Castlebar has one also).
    Also if you live in the country the schools are better/ less jammed and ontop of that not as many skangers in the country. The seem to be more of an urban creature.

Recommended places Ballinrobe, Cong, Clonbur, Ougtherard anywhere in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KristianS

HOLY COW! 36 replies since my post last night. Thanks so much for all the replies, folks! If the friendliness here is anything to go by, I think we're going to love Ireland.

I should clear up something from my first post (I was a bit sleepy at the time of writing). I was actually born in England but have spent about half my life in Wales. Malta is nice enough but it has problems. Prices have sky-rocketed even in our two years here, it gets TOO hot in summer, when tourists descend in summer you barely have elbow room, it never rains (I like the rain!), and the fishing stinks. The older population in Malta are friendly but the new generation is very arrogant and rude. Nice island, but we're tired of calling it home. Oh and we miss decent tv and tescos!!!

I'm going to spend my free time today using your posts as research jumping-off points. In all honesty we think all of Ireland is beautiful - which is what's making the location-decision a hard one. I'll keep you updated anyway and will likely call this forum home. Thanks!! :)

Oh and I'm a *checking* guy! hehe

kevmy wrote: »
    Let me recommend to you somewhere around my own home patch - the border areas of Galway and Mayo.

We got the sea and we have the second and third biggest lakes in the island (Lough Corrib and Lough Mask) - all good for fishing. Close to a city/big town in Galway or slightly smaller places like Castlebar or Westport (Galway has about 3 hospitals and Castlebar has one also).
    Also if you live in the country the schools are better/ less jammed and ontop of that not as many skangers in the country. The seem to be more of an urban creature.

Recommended places Ballinrobe, Cong, Clonbur, Ougtherard anywhere in that area

And you can spend your leisure time panning for lead. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Donegal :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ejmaztec wrote: »

lol
    +1

feck off begrudgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

getz wrote: »
    i have been on holiday in most of ireland -- i love the country and its people {and i am english} but the one place i love most of all is the south east{the garden of ireland} a little village called shillelagh south wicklow--if only i could win the lottery

Is someone threatening you?Did they make you say that?
    Shillelagh is a hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Leitrim....Class place to live....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Roscommon doesn't exist, it's just a rumour made up to scare children! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

don't go to wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

ejmaztec wrote: »

In fairness theres probably a heap other places that have lead in them do. I mean don't tell me that Galway was the only place where lead pipes were used back in the day.

You have to laugh at the council though providing "clean" water which turns out to have twice as much lead as the bad stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

go to Limerick,home of munster and irish rugby. only an hour from the beach and 15mins from the airport. heres a clip flying over the outskirts!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=eroZKYG012k

kevmy wrote: »
    In fairness theres probably a heap other places that have lead in them do. I mean don't tell me that Galway was the only place where lead pipes were used back in the day.

You have to laugh at the council though providing "clean" water which turns out to have twice as much lead as the bad stuff

We all know that, but Galway wasn't very good at keeping it under wraps. We're all probably being poisoned but don't know it - yet. :eek:

don't go to wexford

I'm just researching Wexford now. So far it ticks all my boxes. Is there something I don't know??

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    go to Limerick,home of munster and irish rugby. only an hour from the beach and 15mins from the airport. heres a clip flying over the outskirts!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=eroZKYG012k

Great video and NICE landing if that was you flying! Will look at Limerick, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Welsh Person _ We have in Ireland, like the UK, an inordinate percentage of socially retarded folk amongst the general population (people who litter, wear tracksuits, speak with very limited vocabulary, wear foreign soccer jerseys, get free houses, generally don't realise/care that they live in a society, etc..) in the UK they are referred to as "Chavs", in Ireland we call them "Skobies", "Skangers", "Vermin" etc.... to avoid these types, elect to live in areas not on this list; Dublin , Cork, Cobh, Limerick, Galway, Belfast, any medium to large county towns really. blah blah blah blah blah blah west brit blah blah blah.

yore ma is a skanger !

Anyway, to the original poster, West Cork and/or the wilds of Kerry would be fantastic places to live in Ireland and the fishing that can be got out to sea around Cork is fantastic. Extra points to be had for spearing that dolphin that swims around Dingle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

KristianS wrote: »
    Great video and NICE landing if that was you flying! Will look at Limerick, thanks.

haha no thats not me but thanks anyway!

Limerick is apparently the only place in the country that has avoided the recession due to its future development plans which is to last at least for the next decade, loads of new class projects in pipeline at the moment..many just completed too..

http://www.archiseek.com/content/attachment.php?attachmentid=7605&stc=1&d=1213650729 (thomond park in background!)

http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=3946

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lissoy

Meath/Louth. Close enough to Dublin for work, hospitals, concerts, airport, ferry, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

maybe have a look at the angling section under the sports forum for some tips on the best places for fishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

OP you'll have to be more specific on your interests or else you'll just have every tom, dick and harold talking about how great their little patch of sh1te is!

do you like/want seaside, coastal, mountains, urban, rural, quite, lively, squinty eyed bastrads (cork) etc etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

taidghbaby wrote: »
    OP you'll have to be more specific on your interests or else you'll just have every tom, dick and harold talking about how great their little patch of sh1te is!

do you like/want seaside, coastal, mountains, urban, rural, quite, lively, squinty eyed bastrads (cork) etc etc??

I thought you were describing Wexford?

Just joking. Wicklow is the best place in Ireland.

It just is OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Drogheda and Dundalk or anywhere in Louth tick all your boxes. Close to dublin if you want. Cork is also a great option despite the comments of dublin people here. Crosshaven is on the coast and definately worth looking at. Beautiful part of ireland. Generally the quality of life is better the further from dublin you are. It's a great city but i think other cities such as cork galway and Kilkenny wouldn't be as congested!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Wicklow is the best place in Ireland.

for teenage mothers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

im from carlow. nice vibe off the town, not TOO many scumbags, decentish nightlife, an hour from dublin, and one of the most active traffic corps in the country.

apart from there, other towns ive liked the vibe off have been: enniscorthy, co. wexford, navan, co.meath, and longford, co. longford. i have NO information on these places, i just like going to these places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement