Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Live In Ireland?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask. Have just found this awesome forum and glad I did. Me and the family are researching a move to Ireland. We're from Wales but currently living in Malta. Could anyone offer me some advice on the best places to look? I'd like something coastal (I'm big on fishing), a town relatively close to a city (30 / 40 mins drive or so), friendly to the English, good local schools and hospital. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

KristianS wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask. Have just found this awesome forum and glad I did. Me and the family are researching a move to Ireland. We're from Wales but currently living in Malta. Could anyone offer me some advice on the best places to look? I'd like something coastal (I'm big on fishing), a town relatively close to a city (30 / 40 mins drive or so), friendly to the English, good local schools and hospital. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

:)

This could be fun!

Probably best off out West. Somewhere like Galway or Mayo. Anywhere but Cork and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KristianS

Xavi6 wrote: »
    This could be fun!

Probably best off out West. Somewhere like Galway or Mayo. Anywhere but Cork and you'll be fine.

That was quick, only just posted!

Thanks - I'll check out those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I know a place just like that, but it's in Wales. :p

Dord wrote: »
    I know a place just like that, but it's in Wales. :p

That's a shame because we're a little jaded with Wales. I'm sure we'll find something in Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anywhere but Cork and you'll be fine.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

May I suggest the sunny south east? Maybe Wexford town ? Lovely coast line, great people, near Wales, not too far from Waterford, Kilkenny or Dublin cities (though more than 30/40 minutes!). Choice of schools, hospital. Friendly to the English? We are so over that whole feud thing. No hard feelings.
    Or Somewhere like Dunmore East or Dungarvan further west of Waterford city? But I did hear that they eat the English down there?
    Good luck!

jordata wrote: »
    But I did hear that they eat the English down there?
    Good luck!

LOL :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Some excellent suggestions, thanks! I'm off to bed now but will research them in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good call on Weford. The missus has a house down in Kilmuckridge and it's a fantastic little spot. Only an hour or so drive to Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just not Dublin, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Jesus, why would you want to move to Ireland?

I spent the last 4 years trying to get out of that hell hole!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Good call on Weford. The missus has a house down in Kilmuckridge and it's a fantastic little spot. Only an hour or so drive to Dublin as well.
    +1 on Kilmuckridge. Great lil spot.

KristianS wrote: »
    That's a shame because we're a little jaded with Wales. I'm sure we'll find something in Ireland. :)

Wales & Ireland are very similar, in many ways, nice countryside, laid back people, bi-lingual signs, sheep! fishing etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Ballykilaschelueog! Ta se go maith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Try Galway, if you don't mind a bunch of filthy hippies and crusties (that doesn't include me).

If you're an attractive woman you can stay with me! You will have to cook, clean and perform sexual favours to pay your way until you get a job/I go to prison for making you sleep with me.

If you're a man, try a hostel. They can be really nice and there's only a slim chance of any rape or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Anywhere in Mid Louth. In between Dundalk and Drogheda(10-20 mins), also Dublin and Belfast(50 mins - 90 mins), close to 2 airports, the sea and a decent road to travel to wherever you need to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Or Somewhere like Dunmore East or Dungarvan further west of Waterford city? But I did hear that they eat the English down there?

I had a Yorkshire woman for breakfast today. Tasty she was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Friendly to the English? But you're Welsh :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the people in north wales sound like they're straight out of coronation st to me, maybe he's concerned people will instantly assume they're plundering english yobos as they don't have the mid-glamorgan valleys accent we all love so much! I find Wexford depressing for some reason, and full of muppet boy racer types, I noticed them more there than other counties. I'd recommend somewhere in Galway, but it rains even more there than the east. Hmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anywhere in Mid Louth. In between Dundalk and Drogheda(10-20 mins), also Dublin and Belfast(50 mins - 90 mins), close to 2 airports, the sea and a decent road to travel to wherever you need to go.
    Don't forget Mullacrew. One of the finest townlands in Ireland, if not the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Balbriggan all the way, we have a beach ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Balbriggan all the way, we have a beach sandpit;)

Fixed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have been on holiday in most of ireland -- i love the country and its people {and i am english} but the one place i love most of all is the south east{the garden of ireland} a little village called shillelagh south wicklow--if only i could win the lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Killybegs in Donegal
    Dun Laoighaire in Dublin
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

May I suggest the sunny south east? Maybe Wexford town ? Lovely coast line, great people, near Wales, not too far from Waterford, Kilkenny or Dublin cities (though more than 30/40 minutes!). Choice of schools, hospital. Friendly to the English? We are so over that whole feud thing. No hard feelings.
    Good luck!

I also back Wexford. Seems to meet all your requirements except it takes just under an hour to get to Waterford city and just under 2 hours to get to Dublin. Other than that though we're perfect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Roscommon, without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

rathmines in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

rathmines in dublin.

Jebus no, you'd be better of working in the mines (no offence welshy) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Roscommon, without a doubt.

Are you having a laugh? Roscommon is easily the worst county in Ireland. A desolate place, peppered with towns where unambitious men with yellowed teeth, unkempt hair, and wrangler jeans stare out of pub windows. Where a social life consists of getting a bag of chips after the pub closes. And where the chief topic of conversation is about your cousin Fidelma who went to the big smoke, and is shacked up with some flash harry from Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No my good coldplay liking man of physics. It is because Cork is a SHIT HOLE!
    Trust me. I lived there for a while. Wouldnt recommend it. Locals were a bunch of PROCs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement