Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

D Trent wrote: »
    Nope.....I mean Supervalu

It was Supervalu @ Roches Stores to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Stevolende wrote: »
    What was in the corner of the Eyre Square centre bottom floor that's now a trendy clothing shop. I thought that was the Supervalue

You are right it was originally supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

You're too young, you mean roches ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

antoobrien wrote: »
    You're too young, you mean roches ;).

Located just off Eyre Square, the Corrib Shopping Centre is a compact shopping mall. Recently renovated, this mall now boasts a new car park and better disabled access. The mall incorporates a wide range of shops, from newsagents to hairdressers to chemists. The main outlet in this centre is Roches Stores. This department store sells cosmetics and accessories, menswear, womens wear and household goods, and also has a spacious cafe for worn-out shoppers. Supervalu, the supermarket chain, has recently set up downstairs with one of the biggest food stores in Galway. The centre contains a large, multi-story car park, which provides an ideal base for parking when shopping in the city centre.

http://www.travelmuse.com/pois/IE/10/shopping/corrib-shopping-centre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Located just off Eyre Square, the Corrib Shopping Centre is a compact shopping mall. Recently renovated, this mall now boasts a new car park and better disabled access. The mall incorporates a wide range of shops, from newsagents to hairdressers to chemists. The main outlet in this centre is Roches Stores.

Yes that's the place I'm talking about. But then if one doesn't remember when this building was Moons, then one probably won't know that the entire building was Roches stores and said one is probably still in nappys ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 omaexlibris

Loved Roches Stores for the toys when I was a child. I also think they were the first store in Galway to have escalators. Remember our parents telling us horror stories about kids getting chunks of flesh ripped off their legs if they weren't careful on the escalator?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Corbetts Yard before it became Edward Square

Paddyfield wrote: »

Thats how i remember corbetts yard, Meadows and Byrnes was the right at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

JillyQ wrote: »
    Thats how i remember corbetts yard, Meadows and Byrnes was the right at one stage

It used to be called Stephen Pearse I think.

Isn't Edward Sq a huge improvement when you look at it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Aw I love those two Golfs

• Advertisement

It used to be called Stephen Pearse I think.

Isn't Edward Sq a huge improvement when you look at it though.

Your going back even further now, from what i remember Meadows and Byrnes bought over stephen pearse retail outlets.

You are dead right it is a huge improvement on what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Your going back even further now, from what i remember Meadows and Byrnes bought over stephen pearse retail outlets.

You are dead right it is a huge improvement on what it was.

I could not agree. It is a copypasta of other retail environments and has let to part of a previously public road coming under private ownership. You will note that bicycles attached to poles can be removed from the site as it is owned by the management company.

ladhrann wrote: »
    I could not agree. It is a copypasta of other retail environments and has let to part of a previously public road coming under private ownership. You will note that bicycles attached to poles can be removed from the site as it is owned by the management company.

Corbetts Yard was never public property hence it's name. It was nsmes after the family who owned it. There were large gates that were closed every night at Corbetts Yard. There was also an exit onto Whithall/Lower Abbeygate Street which was also gated. This was locked up every evening. I remember my Dad's car been locked in over night in the early 1980's. There was no mobile phone number to ring because they hadn't been invented at that stage.:D

Also, management companies technically don't own shopping centres or residential blocks. They operate them on behalf of the owners. The owners usually have a limited company or a cooperative. The management company maintain the properties etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Corbetts Yard was never public property hence it's name. It was nsmes after the family who owned it. There were large gates that were closed every night at Corbetts Yard. There was also an exit onto Whithall/Lower Abbeygate Street which was also gated. This was locked up every evening. I remember my Dad's car been locked in over night in the early 1980's. There was no mobile phone number to ring because they hadn't been invented at that stage.:D

Also, management companies technically don't own shopping centres or residential blocks. They operate them on behalf of the owners. The owners usually have a limited company or a cooperative. The management company maintain the properties etc.

Castle Street was a public street though.

As to your comments about Managment Companies. That's just wrong, confused and off topic so best left.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Castle Street was a public street though.

As to your comments about Managment Companies. That's just wrong, confused and off topic so best left.

Huh? I didn't say anything about Castle Street. I was referring to Corbett's Yard, as was being discussed. Castle Street is the public street that links William Street with what was known as Corbett's Yard but is now known as Edward Square.

My comments about management companies are factual. If you disagree, please state your case and don't be so flippant.

Back on topic, my brother is going to scan more photos and email them to me which I will post here. There's one of Woolworths in Eyre Square (now Supermac's)and and one of Glynn's Toy Shop (now Treasure Chest). I hope he can find them!

Huh? I didn't say anything about Castle Street. I was referring to Corbett's Yard, as was being discussed. Castle Street is the public street that links William Street with what was known as Corbett's Yard but is now known as Edward Square.

Fair enough
    My comments about management companies are factual. If you disagree, please state your case and don't be so flippant.

I'll PM you. Don't want to take this Off Topic
    Back on topic, my brother is going to scan more photos and email them to me which I will post here. There's one of Woolworths in Eyre Square (now Supermac's)and and one of Glynn's Toy Shop (now Treasure Chest). I hope he can find them!

I'd love to see those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

singers was down there also wasnt it? Think might be red shop front on the left hand side. Remember going in there as a child with my mam buying wools for the school cardigans

Didn't Stephen Pearse become House of James (the sign in the picture), or was it the other way around?

Yes, Singers was down there.

fifib wrote: »
    singers was down there also wasnt it? Think might be red shop front on the left hand side. Remember going in there as a child with my mam buying wools for the school cardigans

Yes singers was down there, & if memory serves me correctly so was flanagans shoes for a short time as well.

fifib wrote: »

Yes singers was down there, & if memory serves me correctly so was flanagans shoes for a short time as well.

• Advertisement

Flannagan's Shoes, Singers, Elizabeth C beauty salon and a ladies boutique. In the car-park was Better Bedding and Commins Interiors amongst others.

I used to park my car there for many a year and got to know the various business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

I remember the Royal Hotel, Eyre Sq, replaced by Woolworths c 1950, then later Supermacs came

nuac wrote: »
    I remember the Royal Hotel, Eyre Sq, replaced by Woolworths c 1950, then later Supermacs came

Penney's were in that location between Woolworths and Supermac's before Penney's relocated to the Eyre Square Centre. Previously, Supermac's were in the rather small location where Matt O'Flaherty's chemists is now. That premises was also once home to Bargain Stores run my the Devaney family. They currently operate 'stalls' outside Supermac's.

Anyone remember Hills (I think that was the name). It was a real old style newsagent where Lazlo is now. I still remember the lovely displays of fruit they used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

Yet another old memory... :) Passed it every day walking down to St Pats but have to admit my favourite was the Hollands back towards the Square which sold the Hot Roasted Cashews - the absolute pinnacle of sophistication in early 70s Galway:)

You might enjoy this - a drive up Shop Street in 1965. Unfortunately it just misses Hills, but some nice memories there - including the 'Bardas na Gaillimh' road sweeper with the 2 yellow bins in the cart.

cytop wrote: »
    Yet another old memory... :) Passed it every day walking down to St Pats but have to admit my favourite was the Hollands back towards the Square which sold the Hot Roasted Cashews - the absolute pinnacle of sophistication in early 70s Galway:)

You might enjoy this - a drive up Shop Street in 1965. Unfortunately it just misses Hills, but some nice memories there - including the 'Bardas na Gaillimh' road sweeper with the 2 yellow bins in the cart.

Response to your earlier post before edit:

There was a Hills next to Dillons. It was a shoe shop. There's some sort of sports shop there now I think.

I mean another shop, which I think was also called Hills, but owned/run by a guy called Tom Mannion in the same premises occupied by Lazlo now, opposite Treasure Chest.

Response to your earlier post before edit:

There was a Hills next to Dillons. It was a shoe shop. There's some sort of sports shop there now I think.

I mean another shop, which I think was also called Hills, but owned/run by a guy called Tom Mannion in the same premises occupied by Lazlo now, opposite Treasure Chest.

I remember getting shoe's fitted in that Hills shop

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Anyone remember Hills (I think that was the name). It was a real old style newsagent where Lazlo is now. I still remember the lovely displays of fruit they used to have.

Yes indeed. I remember Charlie Hill there in the fifties- a great character

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

wrong shopping center

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

wrong shopping center

It was the right shopping centre as we've already established, just a technical matter on the naming issue.

Advertisement