Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Penney's were in that location between Woolworths and Supermac's before Penney's relocated to the Eyre Square Centre. Previously, Supermac's were in the rather small location where Matt O'Flaherty's chemists is now. That premises was also once home to Bargain Stores run my the Devaney family. They currently operate 'stalls' outside Supermac's.

yes, when supermacs came first it was tiny - where the chemist is now - then there was The Tavern (remember this) and then dunnes. Woolworths was great - especially when they had the stall in the middle of the shop where you could get transfers or your name printed onto sweatshirts which was ALL the rage. :D:D

It was the right shopping centre as we've already established, just a technical matter on the naming issue.

whereabouts was Supervalue located in the Corrib Shopping Center. I can only remember Roches Stores being there at the time. If you are basing your recollections on that blurb a few pages back from travel muse, the last line does say to contact them if they have the information wrong.

Not saying that they are wrong, but cannot remember whereabouts the super value was located near Roches Stores in the Corrib SC.

Help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

whereabouts was Supervalue located in the Corrib Shopping Center. I can only remember Roches Stores being there at the time. If you are basing your recollections on that blurb a few pages back from travel muse, the last line does say to contact them if they have the information wrong.

Not saying that they are wrong, but cannot remember whereabouts the super value was located near Roches Stores in the Corrib SC.

Help me out?

You missed my post where i said that Roches supermarket was branded as Supervalu @ Roches Stores from around 2000 onwards, to locals it was still Roches but i can see how DTRENT remembers it as Supervalu.

You missed my post where i said that Roches supermarket was branded as Supervalu @ Roches Stores from around 2000 onwards, to locals it was still Roches but i can see how DTRENT remembers it as Supervalu.

oh, so Roches was still there in other words but they just re-named the supermarket into super value. got it. never knew that I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Not quite - the store that was Roches Stores supermarket became a SuperValu franchise, though still operated by Roches afaik. This was later replaced by an M&S foodstore. Roches Stores continued on with their department store until that became Debenhams...

There was also a SuperValu supermarket downstairs in the Eyre Square SC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Penney's were in that location between Woolworths and Supermac's before Penney's relocated to the Eyre Square Centre. Previously, Supermac's were in the rather small location where Matt O'Flaherty's chemists is now. That premises was also once home to Bargain Stores run my the Devaney family. They currently operate 'stalls' outside Supermac's.

How about the small bar where Zhivago went, think it was called The Tavern, there was a few steps down into it. I remember going in there with my mam, i used to play one of those table pacman games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Treadhead wrote: »
    Not quite - the store that was Roches Stores supermarket became a SuperValu franchise, though still operated by Roches afaik. This was later replaced by an M&S foodstore. Roches Stores continued on with their department store until that became Debenhams...

There was also a SuperValu supermarket downstairs in the Eyre Square SC.

Exactly.

How about the small bar where Zhivago went, think it was called The Tavern, there was a few steps down into it. I remember going in there with my mam, i used to play one of those table pacman games :D

Not the same place, but you just reminded me of The Snug... great wee bar that was! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not the same place, but you just reminded me of The Snug... great wee bar that was! ;)

Twas indeed ;) Over Brennans Shoe shop it was....

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Was The Snug joined on to Garavan's, or was it the place joined on to Monroes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm pretty sure I'm right, I'm talking about the Zhivago which was located in Eyre Square near Dunnes Stores, there was a pub there prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I'm pretty sure I'm right, I'm talking about the Zhivago which was located in Eyre Square near Dunnes Stores, there was a pub there prior to that.

you are absolutely right about Zhivago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Actually I got mixed up earlier when you mentioned the Snug and I said it was over Brennan's shoe shop, that little hide out I was thinking of was called the shibin. The Snug was a different place.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yip. They decided to spin it as Galway's first singles bar at one stage which worked well for a while until a (pre internet) rumour went around that it was a Gay bar and business plummeted.
    I used to play my video games mostly in The Imperial and The Skeff that time before the 'pool hall' aka The Savoy got them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

the tavern had the best egg salad sandwiches ever created ...

may be feeling nostalgic.

Yup, like I said, you reminded me of the Snug which is not the same place as the one you were talking about! ;) Was the wee narrow bar attached to the side of Garavans which later became Blu and is now Therapé...

I'm guessing the Tavern was before my drinking days - it was a Zhivago as long as I remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Was The Snug joined on to Garavan's, or was it the place joined on to Monroes?

Snug was right of Garavans and "Jug of Punch" right of Monroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

@ ?Cee?View... Hills: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567252086670231&set=a.519856248076482.1073741828.519851238076983&type=1&permPage=1
    Response to your earlier post before edit...
    Had to edit... I got confused myself and was 'looking the wrong way' up towards the Square rather than down towards High Street - hence the wrong comment :)

But I did find that on FaceBook (Had to break a solemn, personal, vow never to go near that site!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

cytop wrote: »
    @ ?Cee?View... Hills: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567252086670231&set=a.519856248076482.1073741828.519851238076983&type=1&permPage=1

Had to edit... I got confused myself and was 'looking the wrong way' up towards the Square rather than down towards High Street - hence the wrong comment :)

But I did find that on FaceBook (Had to break a solemn, personal, vow never to go near that site!)

It's all good! Seeing Ray O'Brien's old xjs in that picture you linked brings back great memories. I loved that car!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nephin girl

My other half and I met in UCG in 1980s. We are married 25yrs in March. I am hoping to make a book for him with memories and photos over the 25 yrs, starting in Galway. Unfortunately, I am lacking photos from that time.

I would be thrilled if anyone could give me photos of popular meeting spots from Galway in 1980s...eg the Oasis, the Oz, the Warwick, the Cellar bar, Clogs bar (favourite spit and sawdust spot....can anyone remember the trad band who played there? ...was it 'Pluck the Duck'?

Many thanks:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Stan Shields has a great pictorial of Galway called Stan's Galway. It has lots of shots of Galway from the 80's. I can't see it on Amazon but I'm sure Kenny's could get you a copy.

Thanks a million, will give them a call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Can't remember the name of the band who played in Clogs but remember Mickey Finn and Tony Small were regular musicians there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

If you're on Facebook, there's a great page called "Galway Memories"... it has loads of photos of the sort of thing you're looking for. Great for the nostalgia!
    https://www.facebook.com/galway.memories

I know there was a mandolin player called Jim in the band....unfortunately my memory is shocking so all a bit of a fog!!!

That sounds perfect...will take a look....Thankyou:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Galway City Museum has a collection of photos by Derek Biddulph. They might give you some leads.

http://www.ouririshheritage.org/category_id__42.aspx

His photos would most likely be street scenes of architectural or historical interest, though.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151107675771544.459776.343507811543&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've merged this with a very long thread in which you'll find lots of photos, vids and memories from those times.

UCG marathon debate video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anyone know the history of sport in the City? What was strong 100 years ago, 50 years ago and now.

For example Cricket used to dominate Dublin with soccer now it's Rugby, Football, Soccer and hurling to the fore.

Just curious about Galway's sporting history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 monkeysuncle

tracie2000 wrote: »

If I remember correctly the man with the monkey's was called Johnny Trayers from Tuam. He eventually moved to live in Galway City in Ardilaun Road Newcastle and at the time got hassled by the local residents when he move in there. Some claimed he was operating a brothel.[/Quote. how does this story link with crime ? Brothel allegations were untrue

Hello in writing some short stories about old crime in Ireland, this story caught my attention, if you have any more information in this story could you please forward it in to me I'd be very greatful

<mail snip, contact by Private Messages only>
    Thank you.

Advertisement