Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Purloined from an alternative web location. Hole in the wall Galway 1972.
    MOney.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

inisboffin wrote: »
    The Flying Pigs (that was the group Tommy was a part of) - ah the glory days! :)

Used to catch that gig on my lunch from school - twas wicked! Old Kings head was great - run up for the soup and tae and watch Tommy do his stand up then head back for the last 3 classes of the afternoon. I remember at the time he used to live in Forrester Court and drove a big ford space wagon thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

Any old photos of UHG?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

BirdsEyeView.jpg

This birds-eye view photograph was taken from the top of a crane which was being used in the construction of the G.P.O. in Eglinton Street c.1960. The unusual angle seems to distort things and bring buildings closer together.

The trees in the foreground are those between the County Club and the Salmon Weir Bridge. Behind those, you can see parts of the old Gaol wall, and here and there, parts of the new Cathedral beginning to take shape. On the other side of the outer wall of the Gaol you can see the rooftops of the houses along Gaol Road belonging to Dowlings, Geraghty's and Barretts. They have all been removed now.

On the left is part of the wall around the Poor Clare's Convent and their garden, and behind that are some of the houses on Canal road. The one on the left was Phillips, and in behind that house were 3 others occupied by Kavanaghs, O'Reillys and Una Dowley. Next door was Tom Keogh's, then Condons, Fursey walsh, The Lawless Family, Billy Mathews, Dick Walsh, John Cahill and Claude Warner.

The large white building on Newcastle road, in the centre of the picture, was Kelehan's. To the left of that, across the road was the city morgue.

The main feature in our photograph is the Regional Hospital, the foundation stone for which was laid by the Minister for Health Dr. Noel Browne, in 1949. The main block of the new hospital was located to the rear of the old "Central", and involved the demolition of the rear wing of the old hospital. The long-stay patients from this rear section were accommodated in temporary huts erected at the front of the Central. This arrangement allowed the Central to function, more or less, normally during the construction.

The first patients admitted to the new hospital, were brought into the Paediatric section, which had accommodations for 50 infants and children, in mid 1955. The patients in the Central hospital were transferred into the main block on April 3rd, 1956, a logistical exercise greatly helped by the local unit of the Knights of Malta ambulance Corps.

The 1950's and 1960's saw a dramatic expansion of senior medical staff in the Regional. Behind the hospital you can see the area of Rahoon, which was open countryside then. It is all covered in concrete today.

Just arrived is volume 57 of the Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society , and a handsome one it is. It is filled with a marvellous collections of articles and reviews such as an appraisal of Dick Dowling, Galway's hero of Confederate Texas; a study of Patrick Pearse; an architectural appraisal of 6-8, high street; a description of the Ritchie Pickow photographic collection in U.C.G. it is great value at €30, and even more value if you become a member of the Society. Very highly recommended.

Source: http://www.kennys.ie/News/OldGalway/11082005-BirdsEyeView/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

A little more Info on Galway Hospital history.

From County Infirmary to Galway University Hospitals

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Eyre square a hundred years ago
    1003865_539188239476616_1207555564_n.jpg

A Macnas creation, Gulliver on Grattan Beach, 1988
    400742_528848390510601_109882318_n.jpg

www.facebook.com/galway.memories

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eiffel tower

WhelansChemist.jpg

This photograph of Whelan's was taken in June 1963, when President John F. Kennedy visited Galway. He had just made that famous speech in the Square, and was on the way to Salthill, where his helicopter was parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eiffel tower

1006120_468486016579690_173814798_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

Seeing the Blackrock shop in the background of Eiffel Towers' picture of Whelans caused a super flashback... Anybody remember the kids rocking horse in the Blackrock? It was down the back of the shop in the passageway between the 2 sections of the the store - you can see them either side of Whelans' in the pic.

cytop wrote: »
    Seeing the Blackrock shop in the background of Eiffel Towers' picture of Whelans caused a super flashback... Anybody remember the kids rocking horse in the Blackrock? It was down the back of the shop in the passageway between the 2 sections of the the store - you can see them either side of Whelans' in the pic.

Oh God yea, remember it well & never passed without plaguing the mother to let me in for a go. Wasn't it easy please us back then? They knew how to craft things back then too, it was very well made and took some punishment. Wonder where it ever ended up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

You had to plague your mum...? Mine usually plopped me on it and said "Wait 'til I get back". Pointless - after a few minutes I'd be wandering off to watch the cashiers put the money in the travelling cans and pulling the cord so it'd whizz off into the office along the wires. :)

No idea where it ended up, but I seem to remember it was gone before I actually grew out of it (if that makes sense!)

It used to be soooo disappointing to round the bend only to find someone else already on it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Back in the 80's what were the most popular sports played in the City and how has that changed in the present day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Back in the 80's what were the most popular sports played in the City and how has that changed in the present day?

Galway United were alive and well!
    Connacht rugby was tiny, Galwegians and Corinthians big!
    No tag rugby!

cytop wrote: »

Met an old friend of mine last night whom I haven't seen in years, it dawned on me while talking that he used to be a manager in the Blackrock. I asked him about that and he told me it came to Galway in 1935 and closed in 1971 and was owned by a Jewish family. I asked him if he had any idea what ever happened to the infamous "Rocking Horse"...... I was gobsmacked by his reply
    "I know exactly what happened to the Rocking Horse. I have it. It's safe and sound and my kids grew up playing on it and now my grand kids have taking over

He smiled and said
    I have the clock too. Do you remember the clock outside?

So people, The "Rocking Horse" still resides in Galway and is alive and well at the ripe old age of 78 :)

-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Thought of another one....The Hanger in Salthill! I don't remember it but my parents used to rock the nights away there.

ddd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BISHBOY View Post
    Genoa was owned by an Italian family - from Athlone originally. Malloca's by name.
    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    There's still a few of them around Galway. Think the Athlone and Dublin cousins went with the Anglicised spelling, Malloco, whereas the Galway family went with the Italian spelling, Magliocco.

I'm from Genoa (Italy), and in fact Magliocco is a quite common surname here. Maybe they were originally a family from Genoa.
    There is a bar here in Genoa owned by some Magliocco. I could ask them if they are related to Galway's Maglioccos...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

navigator wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BISHBOY View Post
    Genoa was owned by an Italian family - from Athlone originally. Malloca's by name.

I'm from Genoa (Italy), and in fact Magliocco is a quite common surname here. Maybe they were originally a family from Genoa.
    There is a bar here in Genoa owned by some Magliocco. I could ask them if they are related to Galway's Maglioccos...

As far as I remember they are from a village not that far from Genoa, a bit inland. I think a lot of the Italian families in Ireland are from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

What was at the top of Shop St where the opening to the side street/Square where the side entrance to Dunnes, Next, Top Shop and the ex-HMV/current Chemist are before there were shops there?
    Was trying to remember earlier this week. Was there a gap there or were there just shop fronts on Shop St across that space until around the millenium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

On the corner where Treasure Chest is now was a cafe owned by Doyle. Can't remember the name. Where HMV was was a framers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Stevolende wrote: »
    What was at the top of Shop St where the opening to the side street/Square where the side entrance to Dunnes, Next, Top Shop and the ex-HMV/current Chemist are before there were shops there?
    Was trying to remember earlier this week. Was there a gap there or were there just shop fronts on Shop St across that space until around the millenium?

i think the gap was there but maybe it was closed off where the tresure chest ends.
    I do remeber there was a carpark and you could get into corbett court that way. That entrance is still there up the lane way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I remember plaguing my mammy for postman pat sweets in supervalu where marks and spencer is now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

flynnlives wrote: »
    i think the gap was there but maybe it was closed off where the tresure chest ends.
    I do remeber there was a carpark and you could get into corbett court that way. That entrance is still there up the lane way.

It was corbetts yard.

It was corbetts yard.

It was corbetts yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

D Trent wrote: »
    I remember plaguing my mammy for postman pat sweets in supervalu where marks and spencer is now :(

What you mean Roches Stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

What was in the corner of the Eyre Square centre bottom floor that's now a trendy clothing shop. I thought that was the Supervalue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What was in the corner of the Eyre Square centre bottom floor that's now a trendy clothing shop. I thought that was the Supervalue

Marks & Sparks is in the Corrib Center, but there was (also) a supervalue in the Eyre Square center for a while. Is New Look the clothes shop?

It was a laneway with shops along it and a gate into the yard at the end.

The yard was used as a carpark in the eighties and you could walk into Corbett's Court shopping centre from there. Corbett's Court is the oldest part of the Eyre Square shopping centre facing onto Williams gate street (Elverys etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

antoobrien wrote: »
    What you mean Roches Stores?

Nope.....I mean Supervalu

Advertisement