Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BISHBOY

Yes # it was consumed when the O'Neills Boot Shop next door - where Bank of Ireland is now - also went up.

Genoa was owned by an Italian family - from Athlone originally. Malloca's by name. Can't remember any other Italian business in Galway. Had very beautiful family .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Yes I remember the Genoa - nice place

Just noticed fron Serboard Post 54 that Chick Gillen has retired. Great character. Did a lot for boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

BISHBOY wrote: »
    Genoa was owned by an Italian family - from Athlone originally. Malloca's by name.

There's still a few of them around Galway. Think the Athlone and Dublin cousins went with the Anglicised spelling, Malloco, whereas the Galway family went with the Italian spelling, Magliocco.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

It was defo Royal Villa on Shop St., it's not that long gone either. Was in there for a meal circa 05. Used to go there quite a bit when I was a teenager.

Does anyone know what that old black door leads to right across from the entrance to Easons on shop st.? It has always been a backdrop for buskers most weekends and has stuff built up either side of it. So it must be a corridor in to something.

Speaking of strange doorways........I once went through the 'other' zhiavgo doors to collect something. I believe it was where Lydon House used to be located and vaguely remember a tiny stairs! Anyone else been there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

BISHBOY wrote: »
    Genoa was owned by an Italian family - from Athlone originally. Malloca's by name. .

Surely they were originally from Italy? Otherwise, they were just plain old Athlonians...!

Only kidding. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Speaking of strange doorways........I once went through the 'other' zhiavgo doors to collect something. I believe it was where Lydon House used to be located and vaguely remember a tiny stairs! Anyone else been there?

There used to be an upstairs in Zhivago in shop street, they closed it when they refurbished the shop proper (sometime mid 90s). I think it's the Lydon House offices now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The Eagle restaurant in the picture was a Chinese Restaurant, great for after the pub food. I recall the owner having a crash near Ennis and the saying goes that the boot of his car was full of cat food "Never" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The Eagle restaurant in the picture was a Chinese Restaurant, great for after the pub food. I recall the owner having a crash near Ennis and the saying goes that the boot of his car was full of cat food "Never" :D
    That's right... I haven't heard that story in ages... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Stevolende wrote: »
    One other thing I noticed disappeared recently that's been in Galway for years was the metal structure (archway?) at the end of the lane connecting middle street with Shop St between the 2 Ryans' premises.
    Not sure exactly when that went but noticed it a couple of weeks back. Maybe it wasn't structurally sound anymore. could see possibility of it getting rusty.

Are they putting in replacement pillars or something? last time I walked down the lane there there were 2 crudely marked squares on the pavement in pretty much the place where the old pillar/poles were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 endadempsey

Hi guys, just spent the last hour reading through these posts... what a host of memories, even for a blow in like me!!

I came across this page recently, its scanned copies of Galway Advertiser papers from the 70s to now.... its great to read through some of them... the Entertainment pages are great for reminders of old bands etc....

http://archive.advertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Tommy Tiernan outside the King's Head in 1992 in pre-pedestrianisatised Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

was that in his "captain moonlight" days. Remember it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan outside the King's Head in 1992 in pre-pedestrianisatised Galway.

Any hope of the rest of that video? Saw a snippet of Eyre Square at the end....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I came across some lovely old photos on the web of the Galway based 44th Cyclist Squadron L.D.F. (Local Defense Force), a volunteer force formed to defend our neutrality during World War 2.

They were an Irish speaking unit based in Renmore Barracks with Brendan O’Shea as O.C and "it does not require a great imagination to figure out how the 44th soon acquired the nickname of the “Ta-Se’s” or “Ta-Shea’s”."

The pics are quite large so I will post links...

Cycling along the Salthill seafront, photo taken from the steps of the Warwick Hotel. (I think)

Exiting the gate of Menlo Castle, with Brendan O'Shea leading.

On parade in Renmore Barracks here and here. Note the rifles attached to the bikes.

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

On parade in Renmore Barracks here and here. Note the rifles attached to the bikes.

2nd picture didn't work for me, just some roofs, prob of Renmore barracks.

You need to use the 'sliders' on the side and bottom of the window to see the whole photo.

The photos are HUGE.

More Photos of the Galway 44th Cycle Squadron from the forties.

A very nice photo taken on the avenue out of Menlo Castle. (I think)

In the snow during WW2.

After the war they took a group trip to the Aran Islands on the old Dun Aengus steamer and met the locals and the parish priest.

:)

Great photos, thanks.

Spent some happy years with the FCA in Renmore in the fifties. Great memories

Stevolende wrote: »
    Are they putting in replacement pillars or something? last time I walked down the lane there there were 2 crudely marked squares on the pavement in pretty much the place where the old pillar/poles were.

To answer my own question they seem to have replaced those rusting pillars with new ones that look pretty much the same. They were up last time I walked through that alley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mike folan

Even though this video is more about the buses, it does show some of the square and its surroundings in the mid 90's.

http://youtu.be/xjbhSvZoFDg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

just noticed this short article on the history of Salthill, the link's at the bottom of the main page. www.salthill.com/history

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The New York Public Library Digital Gallery has a series of Gallagher Ltd. cigarette cards from the period 1908 to 1919 entitled 'Irish View Scenery' online.

Some are images of Galway which I thought might be of interest here.

index.php?id=1655282&t=w
    index.php?id=1655114&t=w
    index.php?id=1655028&t=w
    index.php?id=1655150&t=w
    index.php?id=1655280&t=w
    index.php?id=1655034&t=w

Perhaps it is apt to post these considering the heroics of our hurlers recently, the New York Public Library also have a few Wills cigarette cards featuring some members of the victorious 1923 Galway hurling team.

index.php?id=1645202&t=windex.php?id=1645203&t=w
    index.php?id=1645232&t=windex.php?id=1645233&t=w
    index.php?id=1645220&t=windex.php?id=1645221&t=w
    index.php?id=1645196&t=windex.php?id=1645197&t=w

Mick Gill from Ballinderreen had a very interesting year then, winning the 1923 final playing for Galway (it was delayed and played in 1924) and the 1924 final playing for Dublin against Galway !

He is the only player ever to win two senior All-Ireland hurling medals in the same year.

5478674118_8122f28d69_b.jpg
    Jeune fille portant l'ancien costume du Claddagh, Galway, Irlande - 26 mai 1913 - Autochrome de Marguerite Mespoulet - Musée Albert Kahn
    Photograph of 14 year old Mian Kelly taken in the Claddagh, Co.Galway by Madelaine Mignon-Alba and Marguerite Mespoulet on 26th of May 1913.

Prompted by the piece about the first colour photographs in Ireland taken in the Claddagh and mentioned on the recent RTE programme Credan's Cities, I found this internet page which shows 33 of the 73 Irish autochromes taken in 1913.

They are from the Albert Kahn Museum in Paris. Unfortunately they are rather small and appear as a slideshow at the bottom of the page. These 99 year old colour photographs of the Claddagh, Roscam, Spiddal, Headford, the Galway fishmarket and a picture of cattle in Eglington Street are of interest. But the stunning photographs of Claddagh women are by far are the most striking.

http://albert-kahn.hauts-de-seine.net/archives-de-la-planete/mappemonde/europe/irlande/

index.php?id=1655114&t=w
    that's interesting you can see that the church frontis doesn't stretch back at that point either. I assumed that was a recent or at least, last couple of decades, development but none of the points on the front of the church to the right of the square tower actually turn out to be roof eaves. There's no roof going back.
    Was that always like that? Or am I just missing an architectural design thing that I'm not familiar with, where what looks like it should be meeting a roof at the point is actually several feet above the end of the roof? That is the same place on the far side of the bridge from the Cathedral isn't it?

Somehow didn't take it in until a visiting girlfriend asked me about it a few years back.& now there definitely isn't a building behind it. Or at least if there is it's new(er) flats not a church

Irland0539.jpg
    A corner of the Claddagh, 25 May 1913. Autochrome 9 x 12 cm, Marguerite Mespoulet, Musée Albert Kahn

Further to my previous post about the Irish photographs in the Albert Kahn Museum in Paris... also found this 50 minute BBC film 'A Vision of the World: Albert Kahn's Archive of the Planet', with an absolutely wonderful section about the 99 year old Claddagh colour photographs.

http://digital.films.com/play/F4YQM3

If you don’t want to watch the whole video, fast forward to 27 minutes for the fascinating story of the very first colour photographs taken in Ireland, in Galway, in the Claddagh in May 1913.

(well worth watching in full screen mode)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

remember the man outside claddagh palace busking? would always have his dog with him,greyhound i think, was a regular sight when a film was on, think he lived in ballybane,the cannons in eyre square,roller skating in the savoy,upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

The Claddagh Palace was great was very sad to see it go and felt sorry for the buskar he was there for as long as I can remember. Some weekends the movie letters used to get changed around at night, remember "The Naked Gun" was changed to "The Naked Nun" once.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement

is Eyre square going to be slowly re-surrounded by fencing? I had an old image of the park I think from early in the last century (though it could have been as late as the 60s) with railings surrounding it.
    I noticed that the shortcut I used to take across the grass into the Eyre Square centre would now lead to me colliding with a metal fence. Was wondering if that was going to continue, though could see it possibly being to prevent people running out of the centre and escaping across the park if engaging in nefarious activity inside.

Advertisement