Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neotion MPEG4 Cams - IDTV Ready List (NP4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

Samsung Support state that they have had no problems with CAMs inserted into their TVs, but the problem of crashing on startup could be due to insufficient power when trying to fire up the TV and CAM at the same time. This would explain why it is necessary to insert the CAM after the TV has switched on. This power problem can often be due to ageing capacitors in the power supply which don't have sufficient reserve when extras are still plugged in on switchon, so anyone with an LE37R88 series samsung should take note. I think the best route for HD and DTT reception here at the moment would be to use a combi Freesat/DTT receiver. This will get you all the main British channels, in HD as well, and RTE DTT all from one box and remote. Some promising looking kit on www.saortv.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Hi, ive got a Sony KDL 23B4050 and its got a cam card slot. Is there any problems with these cams like quality or anything?
    Also how much will like the cheapest set top box for MPEG4 be abouts?

Also where do you guys get these cam cards? Is it only online or do shops like Currys, Harvey normans, Maplin etc sell them? Whats the price abouts on them.

Thanks any info appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jammygit

Digitalism wrote: »
    Hi, ive got a Sony KDL 23B4050 and its got a cam card slot. Is there any problems with these cams like quality or anything?
    Also how much will like the cheapest set top box for MPEG4 be abouts?

Also where do you guys get these cam cards? Is it only online or do shops like Currys, Harvey normans, Maplin etc sell them? Whats the price abouts on them.

Thanks any info appreciated.

Ive used Neotion CAM on JVC and Sony products, although not the specific one you mention. Compared to reception with MPEG-4 STB, these CAMs do not fare as well on picture quality.

As for STB, check out Power City - they do a Vestel model that is specified to receive MPEG-4 and MHEG-5 (digital teletext). Ive had a play with this one and it works pretty well. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

jammygit wrote: »
    As for STB, check out Power City - they do a Vestel model that is specified to receive MPEG-4 and MHEG-5 (digital teletext). Ive had a play with this one and it works pretty well. .

DO NOT and i cant repeat this enough, DO NOT spend that extorniate amount of money on a set top box for DTT.

Jammygit What model JVC did the CAM work on ? share the knowledge. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ballytrim

STB wrote: »
    The Turbosat Card perhaps - I would advise against buying anything branded outside of Neotion, since the list of compatabilty is for Neotion Cards.

Neotion have several cards and modules - Heres the table of what each one does.
    http://neotionpocket.com/table.htm

Conformity
    http://neotionpocket.com/about_conformity.php

Your TV IS supported by a neotion card - "Neotion Pocket DTV" Below is an updated list which includes new models supported.

Attachment not found.

The original list is also below.

Probably been some time since you or anyone addressed this but can anyone help me out here?
    I have just bought a Neotion NP4 Free to Air card for use in CA slot on my TV as I was told that RTE NL had switched to MPEG-4 from MPEG-2 and I'd need such a card to transpose the MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 so my telly would process and show it. I used to be able to view it without a card a couple of years ago and now I thought i'd give it a go since I've moved house. The TV tunes in the channels okay without the card but doesnt show any vision, probably confirming the MPEG-4 thing.
    My TV is a fairly old now (5 to 6 years) Samsung 32" LCD with in-built UK digital tuner (MPEG-2). Model Samsung LE32R73BDX.
    When I look in the DTV menu I can see that there is the said card installed but that's it.
    Is there something else I should be doing other than 'plug n play' or tuning from DTV menu? Some secret or something blatantly obvious I should do to get it going, confirm with the TV that the card is there and to use it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

There are afew things i've noticed in relation to the neotion cam in samsungs. In a 3 yar old samsung it would only work if plugged in after the set was powered on, otherwise the set would freeze and then reboot (TVs are pcs these days) see my earlier story. When it worked, it sometimes took a noticable time to resove the image, having to lock onto the MPEG4 stream and transpose it to MPEG2 for the TV's own UK decoder. It would sometimes freeze after a time, even in my other brand new samsung with UK tuner. If you are not getting an image after a resonable wait, try hot unpugging end replugging the card, and wait and see if you get an image. Also go to the DTV menu and navigate to system and signal stength. if siganls and quality are below 50% it might struggle to give any picture. Also go into the CAM's own menu. You should find a sub menu where it says MPEG4, and the option to enable or disable. if this is set to off, needless to say the card does nowt. The age of the set might make a difference. Try the neotion compatiability list to see if the set is listed. Finally, it appears that the CAM just converts the MPEG4 stream to MPEG2, which the UK decoder then resolves. This extra layer definitely takes some of the inherent quality away from the MPEG4 stream. I've displayed the neotion signal side by side with a MPEG4 HD set top box (Edision 2 in 1, HDMI cable), using picture in picture, split screen. The STB wins hands down, as the MPEG4 goes straight to digital video. Same test with RTE from SKY, no contest, the SKY source is soft and artefact laden. Even the neotion looks better. If I were you I'd buy a new set with MPEG4 built in, well worth it, Otherwise, get a STB with HDMI and Hi def. your 5 year old set probably isn't 1080 any way, so it wont notice these differences. It appears that SD sources come out better at the far end when delivered via MPEG4, and of course theres the capacity for HD transmission. Watching the six nations in HD free on BBC HD or the FA cup also free on ITV HD, its hard to look at blurry jerseys again, and all this from a combi DTT/Freesat HD box that costs less than 150 and no subscriptions to SKY.

ballytrim wrote: »
    Probably been some time since you or anyone addressed this but can anyone help me out here?
    I have just bought a Neotion NP4 Free to Air card for use in CA slot on my TV as I was told that RTE NL had switched to MPEG-4 from MPEG-2 and I'd need such a card to transpose the MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 so my telly would process and show it. I used to be able to view it without a card a couple of years ago and now I thought i'd give it a go since I've moved house. The TV tunes in the channels okay without the card but doesnt show any vision, probably confirming the MPEG-4 thing.
    My TV is a fairly old now (5 to 6 years) Samsung 32" LCD with in-built UK digital tuner (MPEG-2). Model Samsung LE32R73BDX.
    When I look in the DTV menu I can see that there is the said card installed but that's it.
    Is there something else I should be doing other than 'plug n play' or tuning from DTV menu? Some secret or something blatantly obvious I should do to get it going, confirm with the TV that the card is there and to use it?

I didnt see your model in the conformity list. The R86BD series is supported though so maybe it does work. I am not familar with the Samsungs. If it doesnt work send it back and buy a Sigmatek DVBR-520 HD box for about the same price (€60 on pixmania and the likes).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any word about the NP5 that should be able to do HD?

I know Neotion have announced it, but have not seen any product yet. I wonder if it would work on a Sony Bravia when it comes out? Presumably it would be lower power and faster than the NP4 version.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try though I don't hold out much hope. I have a newer smaller Samsung and I'm going to hook it into that and see how that one goes once I get an aerial on it.:)

Any word about the NP5 that should be able to do HD?

I know Neotion have announced it, but have not seen any product yet. I wonder if it would work on a Sony Bravia when it comes out? Presumably it would be lower power and faster than the NP4 version.

Np4 and NP4+ only available as a CI solution.

NP5 is a STB processor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 akyr

I have a Sony KDL 40S2000. This model is not listed on compatible models at start of thread but saw it listed in a Noetion PDF file I saw over the net. Did actually anyone try this cam on a S series Sony?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

akyr wrote: »
    I have a Sony KDL 40S2000. This model is not listed on compatible models at start of thread but saw it listed in a Noetion PDF file I saw over the net. Did actually anyone try this cam on a S series Sony?

It worked on my KDL40s3000 over a year ago. Not overly impressed with it, but might try again. It will only do SD, so if RTE launch with an HD service, it will not work with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

akyr wrote: »

Have it working on a 40S2000- can take a while changing channels- but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Hi Folks,
    I wonder if anyone knows whether or not these cams will work in the Humax PVR9200T which is of course designed for the uk market?

It works in a smaller, newer model Samsung LCD TV LE19A656A1D, doesn't work in the older Samsung LCD TV, Model 32R73BDX.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Does anyone know if these cams will work in the cam slot of Sony dvd recorders to allow me to record the Irish DTT.
    The digital tuner on my machine is Mpeg 2 and I want to be able to record the Mpeg 4 broadcasts without having to keep switching back to the analogue tuner.
    Model sony rdr-hxd 995

Does anyone know if these cams will work in the cam slot of Sony dvd recorders to allow me to record the Irish DTT.
    The digital tuner on my machine is Mpeg 2 and I want to be able to record the Mpeg 4 broadcasts without having to keep switching back to the analogue tuner.
    Model sony rdr-hxd 995

It should. But not all manufacturers stuck rigidly to the DVB-CI standard for Mpwg2 opened receivers. The only way you will know is by testing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

My TV is a Sony KDK- 40V4000 - no mpeg4 decoder. I'm thinking the MPEG-4 decoder might be for me

I have a UHF antenna in the attic. I can get RTE1/RTE2/TG4 but the quality is poor tho' watchable.
    (according to the blurb from RTENL I should also get TV3 -but no sign at all.

And I'm using a mast amp with a power unit as well.

Quote from http://www.saortv.com
    "You can test beforehand whether the Turbosat MPEG4 CAM could potentially work for you by trying to tune in the Irish DTT channels without the CAM. Your TV should at least be able to receive the radio channels and may also be able to receive the TV channels with sound but no picture. If you cannot receive the signal in this form then the CAM will not improve this situation."

I tried scanning for digital channels. I thought I might get audio as referred to in the quote above. No digital info pickup at all. That seems to mean DTT is out for me unless I get a mast back on the chimney :(. - and even then, unless RTE are putting out more quality/power than back in the seventies, that might even be poor quality. I live at sea level surrounded by hills.

Can anybody say what are the chances of getting DTT , if the existing pic quality is poor ? In other words is SaorTV assessment accurate and should I give up on DTT ?

I've never had a subscription service , relying always of SAT FTA and off the air for analogue. Looks like I'm going to be forced to pay for what should be free channels.

Is there a possibility that the DTT service providers will provide the RTE channels unscrambled ad leave them in place after a subscription is treminated ? One could then sign up for just 12 months and on termination retain them on cable ?

A .

Well the cam will work for that model. Saor Tvs description is right. It is to prevent people buying one if they have poor reception in the first instance. Thats not the CAMS fault, it just transcodes received video from MPEG4 and MPEG2. Generally if you have even poor analogue reception DTT is your answer.

Sounds like you should sort out your reception problems first. I would take out that aerial and the amp and check the connections etc.

How long has your reception been bad ? Is the aerial pointing the right way ? Check for kinks in coax etc.

Where are you in Cork ?

By the way the latest list of TVs that the Neotion Cam works with is attached for all.

I'm afraid I must own up to being dumb in this instance. It's was so long since I considered analogue off air, I was unaware that Glanmire has it's own relay............. :o*:o

And of course I've got the wrong antenna. I got a group A RED !

Tomorrow I'll get the right one and start again.... It should be UHF B (Yellow) !

I'm also concerned that while DTT is being tested at Mullaghanish, (which I now realise, I cannot receive) , I wonder if I'm right to expect it to have penetrated my local relay yet ?

A.

• Advertisement

Anchises wrote: »
    I'm afraid I must own up to being dumb in this instance. It's was so long since I considered analogue off air, I was unaware that Glanmire has it's own relay............. :o*:o

And of course I've got the wrong antenna. I got a group A RED !

Tomorrow I'll get the right one and start again.... It should be UHF B (Yellow) !

I'm also concerned that while DTT is being tested at Mullaghanish, (which I now realise, I cannot receive) , I wonder if I'm right to expect it to have penetrated my local relay yet ?

A.

Are you in Glanmire ? No fill in transmitter there yet for DTT as AFAIK.

Where did you get Group B from!

Look at this chart and then decide. Seems to me that you either you need a Group E for DTT or a wideband for both analogue and dtt(I am presuming Spur Hill is your local transmitter site if its not Mullaghanish).

attachment.php?attachmentid=116205&stc=1&d=1275872247

http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/television-frequencies.pdf

This link on RTENL bring up a pdf which lists all the transmitters/relays in the country.

It lists Glanmire and shows the channels and antenna groups

Site County RTÉ1 RTÉ2 TG4 TV3 ERP Aerial
    GLANMIRE Cork 41 → 44 → 51 → 100W UHF B

This is the existing profile for analogue I assume. The question is will DTT operate through the same relay. I expect it will :)

Though there may be no DTT tests there at present ??

A.

On that list, TV3 are shown as being carried on 11 sites and not carried on 72 sites. I think that is a disgrace for a 'national' station.

The BAI should either fine them, or remove their licence.

They are the main TX sites Sam, not the fill in ones. Mind you I dont think Tv3 are on many of the fill ins for Analogue, a handful down Cork/Limerick. They dont have the same targets for FTA reception as RTE.

Anchises; That is the main TX sites only and shows the analogue/digital TXs side by side with the aerial group you need for both under "Combined" if you are in an area that can receive both.

Glanmire is in a dip, isnt it, hence the fill in for analogue. I dont know of what the plans are for DTT frequency wise. i could look it up. I wouldnt be investing in aerial groups for analogue as its due to switch off in 2012. Maybe a wideband would be the best solution but it mightnt be powerful enough.

I can see where a combined is required to get analogue & DTT for my area.
    The cost of a UHF for analogue is not significant, so i might just go ahead and experiment anyway.
    I dont know of what the plans are for DTT frequency wise. i could look it up

I would really appreciate it if you would look that up. I wouldn't know where to go beyond the research I'v done already.

I've been looking at CAMs on various sites. The best deal seems to be ebay , but the guy does not do returns, if for any reason, there was a problem.

Also the CAMs , altho; all claiming to be Neotion seem to have different labeling,,,,,,,
    Some are labeled explicitly as MPEG-4 decoders, while others seem to emphasize the decoder method that could/might be used - Viaccess/Conex/...

I know that there are different decoder method and they only are relevant if accessing scrambled channels.

The ebay one I've spotted indicates 'Free To Air' in the pic.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEOTION-MPEG2-MPEG4-CONVERTER-CAM-CI-MODULE-DVB-T-DTT-/190402614106

Would this one work ? ( btw Is it allowed to show links like this to commercial outlets? )

A.

I would advise against the Neotion for the time being because they do not do HD, and if RTE launch an HD channel, then you will have to get a STB anyway. Why not wait until launch as it is only a few months to go.

I tried one a while back that worked in my TV, a Sony, but I considered it a poor solution, even without the HD risk. The picture went blocky on occasions. I am waiting till after Christmas to see what Santa brings.:)

I exchanged the Red Group A for a Yellow Group B antenna and I've now got perfect RTE1 / RTE2 / TG4 analogue :) -from the Glanmire local relay.

No sign of a digital signal when scanned - unfortunately :(

STB: I wonder if you've had a chance to look up the digital plan for the Glanmire relay station ?

A.

Anchises wrote: »
    http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/television-frequencies.pdf

This link on RTENL bring up a pdf which lists all the transmitters/relays in the country.

It lists Glanmire and shows the channels and antenna groups

This is the existing profile for analogue I assume. The question is will DTT operate through the same relay. I expect it will :)

Though there may be no DTT tests there at present ??

A.

Yep, Glanmire has had a relay for many years now, it was one of the original Band I relays, broadcasting RTÉ 1 on channel C.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SherryG

I have a 2007 Panasonic Plasma TH-42pz70B (a uk model) I can get sound on all the RTE DTT TV channels (and radio) but no pictures. (Before reading this) I tried the Conax Pocket dTV (NP4 Neotion) CAM but no avail - still no pic. Based on what I've seen here only 1 panasonic works with it. I'm guessing there is no point in trying the viaccess one. Has anyone got this to work with a pana? was considering updating the firmware.

In Naas ,TV3 and TG4 are on UHF so come through grand on the tv, but as my tv is uk I can't get rte 1 and 2 (vhf)on the analogue receiver so have to run them through a old vhs recorder. It works but pic is not great. was hoping the cam would improve the picture as its digital - i guess I'm waiting for a stb.

On the upside for the world cup the hd pic is great on itv and bbc hd on the foxsat hdr, pity it can't receive rte digital!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eclipsegr

Hi everyone,
    I have a Hitachi P50XR01 plasma tv, and I just bought the Neotion (irdeto) CIM... I turn off the tv, insert the CIM, then turn it on, but nothing works... actually I get the usual picture (analog signal), but every 5-6 seconds I hear the hard drive of the tv re-starting and the tv goes off... then after 2-3 seconds it comes on again... and so on...
    Any ideas?
    How about a software upgrade? Where can I check what is the latest software available for my tv? There is nothing on Hitachi's website... they have actually "placed" the model in the discontinued products...

Advertisement