Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neotion MPEG4 Cams - IDTV Ready List (NP4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yeah they are still coming in minus TV3 which is just a carrier but no audio. Infact my TV now says incompatible video on TV3.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ignore the TV3 anamoly. RTENL are doing some sort of tests at the moment.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

snaps wrote: »
    Yeah they are still coming in minus TV3 which is just a carrier but no audio. Infact my TV now says incompatible video on TV3.

That phillips model with a d is not suitable for picking up DTT (its a uk model, but you know that). The neotion cam doent support that model fom what I can see.

Philips
    32PFL7862D/10
    42PFL7862D/10
    47PFL9532D/10
    32PFL9632D/10
    37PFL9632D/10
    42PFL9632D/10
    47PFL9632D/10
    52PFL9632D/10
    37PFL9732D/10
    42PFL9732D/10
    47PFL9732D/10
    42PFL9900D/10

Reading between the lines of what maxg is saying the current thinking is that the neotion cams are not seen as a solution by RTE. That in effect means they are redundant. The whole idea of that product is to allow transcoding. That data is being transmitted for the purposes of not allowing idtvs (that can be saved simply with this cheap product) receive the signal to transcode in the first place is ridiculous.

I would hold off buying a neotion cam until there is further clarification on this (even if your idtv is compatible).

STB wrote: »
    Reading between the lines of what maxg is saying the current thinking is that the neotion cams are not seen as a solution by RTE. That in effect means they are redundant. The whole idea of that product is to allow transcoding. That data is being transmitted for the purposes of not allowing idtvs (that can be saved simply with this cheap product) receive the signal to transcode in the first place is ridiculous.

I would hold off buying a neotion cam until there is further clarification on this (even if your idtv is compatible).

I disagree- the idtvs comply with European standards. RTE can't just bugger off and do their own thing- aside from anything else- it would be prohibitively expensive. Time will tell of course.....

I dont disagree with you. If half of what has been said here in the last few days is true as regards the thinking on network identifiers being used to stop mpeg2 idtvs from scanning and finding video signal they cant display totally ignores that in many instances these idtvs can be updated with a cheap pcmia card. Not everyone want a stb. That there are legit products that have become casulaties of this move because they dont fully comply with the spec but still receive the MPEG4 transmissions through a common processor cant be ignored. And all for the sake of positioning protocol at border areas...

Hopefully sense will prevail at the end of this testing phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The CAM converter approach needs the TV to able to at least scan& store and receive sound.

The priority for RTENL is not disturbing UK viewers. This is not a service but test.

I always said that IMO the CAM was a bad idea (I tested Neotion pocket Duo before anyone else had one here). A set-box also is time to have Tivo/Sky+ PVR features and home snaps/Video digital playback rather than VHS or Analogue based DVD/HDD recorders.

Phillips support rang me yesterday & they said that none of there TV's will work with a MPEG4 cam. I dont actually know if the guy i spoke with knew what mpeg4 was?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Just a note to say the CAM works in my LE26a457.
    It takes a few seconds to switch between channels, but it's a huge improvement over our analog signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

A friend got one of these Viaccess MPEG4 Card and and I borrowed it to try on my TV with the DTT signal from Maghera. I can confirm it works in a Sony KDL-32S3000. The channel change is slow and the pic can be blocky but I am running from a VHF aerial and not a UHF aerial.

Darth Maul - It looks to be your CAM. My one gets fairly hot and you could easily insert it the wrong way round into the TV. I think the pic will stutter/go blocky even if I had a decent UHF aerial as the signal strength is fairly good when I tested it. It's just the nature of them as they are addons processing the picture instead of build in decoders. Having said that the pic is as good as the Irish channels on Sky (via scart) when it isn't being blocky/stuttering. It seems to do it more when I first change to a new channel or access the TV menus.

MBSnr wrote: »
    A friend got one of these Viaccess MPEG4 Card and and I borrowed it to try on my TV with the DTT signal from Maghera. I can confirm it works in a Sony KDL-32S3000. The channel change is slow and the pic can be blocky but I am running from a VHF aerial and not a UHF aerial.

Darth Maul - It looks to be your CAM. My one gets fairly hot and you could easily insert it the wrong way round into the TV. I think the pic will stutter/go blocky even if I had a decent UHF aerial as the signal strength is fairly good when I tested it. It's just the nature of them as they are addons processing the picture instead of build in decoders. Having said that the pic is as good as the Irish channels on Sky (via scart) when it isn't being blocky/stuttering. It seems to do it more when I first change to a new channel or access the TV menus.

A booster should stabilise the signal...... too much gain and you will start pulling in all kinds of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 alke

not sure if you know but boxer have pulled out of the irish dtt setup and it's been given to Onevision a consortium of TV3, Setanta, Eircom and Arquiva. and I found this bit of info relating to conditional access modules on their proposal pdf.

Conditional Access:
    Setanta has extensive experience in the selection and evaluation of possible conditional access (CA) providers
    and has chosen to work with Nagravision in the UK to encrypt their Sports channel, to meet premium content
    rights holders’ stringent requirements. The consortium is delighted to be bringing this experience on CA to the
    table giving the content owners assurance that only those that should be receiving the services are receiving
    them and guaranteeing the customers a stable and safe platform.
    OneVision has also been talks with Irdeto, Latens and Viaccess to evaluate alternative CA solutions to best fit the
    consortium.

for their entire proposal see HERE

also anyone know of any JVC tv's working with the neotion cam?

more specificaly the JVC LT-32DA8BJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

I have a JVC LT-19DA9BJ and it's working with the cam.

It was very poor, very bad loss of audio sych and looked like it was running at about 10 frames per sec.

However, for the last month it is extremely good and i can only assume that RTENL have changed something.

My signal level has not changed. In the DTV setup, I have 75% signal and 100% quality.

There are 3 other versions of this TV which I assume will work with the cam.

LT-42DA9BJ
    LT-32DA9BJ
    LT-26DA9GJ

ei9go wrote: »
    I have a JVC LT-19DA9BJ and it's working with the cam.

It was very poor, very bad loss of audio sych and looked like it was running at about 10 frames per sec.

However, for the last month it is extremely good and i can only assume that RTENL have changed something.

My signal level has not changed. In the DTV setup, I have 75% signal and 100% quality.

There are 3 other versions of this TV which I assume will work with the cam.

LT-42DA9BJ
    LT-32DA9BJ
    LT-26DA9GJ

On a Sony W series with a CAM- its the inverse- it was awful, now lip sync has improved noticeably. Bit rate appears to have dropped significantly though (frame rate same).

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Hello
    I am reading this messages and some of you say CAM but not saying which manufactor or verson of it
    I bought a Pocket NP4 MPEG 4 Conax Cam and this did not work on any of my iDTV
    Humax, Philips, Toshiba and Technika.
    On the Humax iDTV I had all 4 channels from RTENL MUX, RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4
    Since I put in the Pocket NP4 MPEG 4 Conax Cam, It then removed the TV channels from RTENL MUX like it is no longer there but the RTE radio are still there. it have not affect any of my UK freeview channels.

Can anyone tell me where am I receiving the RTE from,

RTE 1 - UHF 40
    RTE 2 - UHF 43
    TV 3 - UHF 46
    TG 4 - UHF 50
    RTENL - UHF 47 digital mux

Thanks

Souriau wrote: »
    Since I put in the Pocket NP4 MPEG 4 Conax Cam, It then removed the TV channels from RTENL MUX like it is no longer there but the RTE radio are still there.

I.e. your TV has an MPEG4 tuner onboard already- and does not need to use a CAM to decode the MPEG4 signal down to an MPEG2 stream for your set. Remove the CAM- and see if the channels come back.

Seems like Cairn Hill

smccarrick wrote: »
    I.e. your TV has an MPEG4 tuner onboard already- and does not need to use a CAM to decode the MPEG4 signal down to an MPEG2 stream for your set. Remove the CAM- and see if the channels come back.

No All the iDTVs I have are UK Freeview spec, with MPEG-2 and MHEG-5

snaps wrote: »
    Seems like Cairn Hill
    Where is Cairn Hill locate?
    does anyone know the grid reference for this transmitter side?
    I am in Co Down and I received this transmitter signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone tried one of these devices on a Sony KDL-32V4000? Someone posted asking the same question earlier in the thread but that was last year!

We have a new-ish Samsung 40" series 5 TV here and its picking up RTE DTT from Mt Leinster without any add-on cams or set top boxes or anything. Looks beautiful. My poor Sony though only does MPEG-2.

Stephen wrote: »
    Anyone tried one of these devices on a Sony KDL-32V4000? Someone posted asking the same question earlier in the thread but that was last year!

We have a new-ish Samsung 40" series 5 TV here and its picking up RTE DTT from Mt Leinster without any add-on cams or set top boxes or anything. Looks beautiful. My poor Sony though only does MPEG-2.

Works fine on all Sony V and W series sets. Some problems reported with slight lag between picture and audio- but I think those probs have been ironed out.

S.

• Advertisement

Nice one, must get my hands on one :)

Thanks.

Picked up one of these today but having a spot of bother. TV detects that the cam is inserted and I can go into its menu and enable or disable MPEG-4. I see the EPG and stuff but no picture. Occasionally there's a bit of a pixelated mess and a blurt of sound but usually nothing. If I switch back to analogue I have excellent RTE1/2 reception and crappy TV3/TG4. There is a Samsung TV with built-in MPEG-4 connected to the same aerial and DTT works fine on it. Anyone got any ideas?

Picked up one of these today but having a spot of bother. TV detects that the cam is inserted and I can go into its menu and enable or disable MPEG-4. I see the EPG and stuff but no picture. Occasionally there's a bit of a pixelated mess and a blurt of sound but usually nothing. If I switch back to analogue I have excellent RTE1/2 reception and crappy TV3/TG4. There is a Samsung TV with built-in MPEG-4 connected to the same aerial and DTT works fine on it. Anyone got any ideas?

The receiver could be a lot weaker than the one in the Samsung? Are the two clean signals you're pulling in VHF or UHF? Tbh- it sounds like your signal strength isn't sufficient?

Have a look at the Samsung- if you don't have over 50% signal strength on DTT on the Samsung- you will have problems getting a signal lock on the Sony (its a bit of a rough and ready signal check- but its pretty accurate).

Suggest- feeding the signal through an amp- even a low power 20-30db amp should clean up the signal sufficiently?

S.

There's something funny going on. I ran a great big dirty coax cable from the aerial outlet at the Samsung TV down to the Sony one and everything works fine through the MPEG-4 CAM. I guess there's dodgy with the wiring in the attic.

Also, even more mysteriously, after removing the extended cable and going back to the one I was using eariler, the DTT signal strength seems to have somehow improved. Its not as good as with the samsung but it is working!

I'm confused.

(also, the samsung has about 75% signal strength)

Edit: Sony coming up with about 60% signal strength, dropping to 50 from time to time.

There's something funny going on. I ran a great big dirty coax cable from the aerial outlet at the Samsung TV down to the Sony one and everything works fine through the MPEG-4 CAM. I guess there's dodgy with the wiring in the attic.

Also, even more mysteriously, after removing the extended cable and going back to the one I was using eariler, the DTT signal strength seems to have somehow improved. Its not as good as with the samsung but it is working!

I'm confused.

(also, the samsung has about 75% signal strength)

Edit: Sony coming up with about 60% signal strength, dropping to 50 from time to time.

Your internal wiring isn't sufficiently shielded and you're getting signal degradation- which is why when running a shielded cable from the Samsung outlet down to the Sony- your signal strength is considerably better.

Another suspect might be a break in the internal wiring- which often happens when the wiring is in ridiculous paths.......

If you're only getting 50-70% strength from an external antenna- there is no point in even suggesting an internal directional antenna- I think you've a little rewiring jobbie ahead of you!

Just did a spot of investigation in the attic. Turns out there's far more cable coiled up there than I need. And what's there has a few nasty kinks and stuff in it. So I fed as much as possible down through the ceiling to the room below and then lopped about 10 metres off. Now the signal strength is pegged between 85 and 100% on the Sony :D

Thanks for your help smccarrick!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Cairn Hill Transmitter is located in Longford, its a major transmitter covering a wider area: 53°48′28″N 7°42′52″W Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn_Hill_Transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red Giant

I've got a Sony KDL 40S2010. I was wondering if anyone knew if a mpeg4 cam would work in this one. Its seems to have one slot.

Red Giant wrote: »
    I've got a Sony KDL 40S2010. I was wondering if anyone knew if a mpeg4 cam would work in this one. Its seems to have one slot.

Yes- it works fine. Note: the receiver in the Sony needs a stronger signal than do the receivers in some other makes (like Samsung). Check an analogue UHF signal- if you don't have a reasonable enough picture- get a powered amp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a better Aerial.

Unless it's a high quality amp it may reduce Digital QUALITY even though the signal increases.

Kinked Coax usually needs the kink replaced by a connector, as the coax is permanently damaged

Advertisement