Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gaeltacht Course

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

annainez wrote: »
    Hi!
    When I was first going to Spleodar it was 'booked up'... just ring them to be out on the waiting list and you will have a good chance of getting a place, they want your money!!
    Otherwise, Colaiste na bhFiann is really strict you learn loads but I don't know if it's fun. You can ask to be put with a friend on your form, straighteners are allowed as far as I know! I would really advise you to go to a strict one though, I went to Colaiste na Rinne (Dungarvan) and it's not strict enough at all. Much better for your Irish to go to a strict one, and even if it is your first time, you will get over the initial shock of it really quickly.
    Hope that was helpful!

has anybody been to the clubanna spleodar
    and what are they like ????????:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

http://www.irishsummercolleges.com/connacht.htm#canspideal

I had great craic in Colaiste Chonnact. Made some great friends and greatly improved my standard of Irish. They want you to speak Irish but understand you're not fluent. They're not lenient but they understand you're a teenager who likes a bitta craic

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Anyone have any experience of Colaiste Bhreanainn?
    good for up to Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sweeneyk

Hi - does anyone know of any Gaeltacht courses suitable for a parent and child to attend together? Our son is going on 10, and partly due to the fact that he doesn't enjoy it, and partly due to the fact that Mum and Dad are not exactly gaelgoiri (or however you spell it). My wife was thinking that maybe a course during the summer, aimed at his age but that parents could attend too, might be availalbe (residential if in 'real' Gaeltacht area, or maybe one of the Gaelscoils run some summer camps?)

We just want to help him and support him as it's the only area in school that he struggles (and we could do with the refresher ourselves!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Vampmcdxoxo

DO NOT GO TO COLAISTE CHIARAIN IN CHEATHRU RUA (galway). Gaeltacht my **** ..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Can I just point out that the level of Irish you come back with isn't always to do with the Coláiste.

I was a cinnre in Coláiste Chamuis and believe you me, the people who made an effort and made sure that they were in the right class really did improve.
    Then, there were other people who'd sit away from everyone in twos and threes and you would know that they were speaking english, but they'd be VERY careful about it and switch as soon as anyone would come over so there was never any proof.

Coláiste Chamuis is a strict place, and me and all my friends I know from there had great craic.

The other thing is, is that even if a massive improvement has come on someone's spoken Irish, they can lose it very quickly after coming home and a lot of Irish teachers don't give people a proper chance to speak Irish in the classroom or use the vocab learnt seeing as it can be quite practical rather than words used in the poetry and pros in the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dearbhaile.

which is better Colaiste na BhFiann or Spleodar guys?I'm doing my leaving cert next year and my teacher said I should go to the Gaeltacht to be guaranteed my A1..I want a strict one.I attended Colaiste Chonnacht two years ago and even thought the craic was mighty,we spoke English all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Student2

I'm going to An Tulach this summer. Does anyone know if it's good or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭alwayswright

Student2 wrote: »
    I'm going to An Tulach this summer. Does anyone know if it's good or not?

Highly recommended. Great place, great craic. This comes with the contingency however that you make the effort to speak an Gaeilge and get involved. Do that and I promise you'll have a good time and improve your Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

which is better Colaiste na BhFiann or Spleodar guys?I'm doing my leaving cert next year and my teacher said I should go to the Gaeltacht to be guaranteed my A1..I want a strict one.I attended Colaiste Chonnacht two years ago and even thought the craic was mighty,we spoke English all the time!

Colaiste chonnact has stricken up a bit. Could just have been you didn't have a cuinteoir in your house or something. Anyway, my mates went to spleodar and said it was strict on Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Looking for a Gaeltacht for myself and a friend, 2 TY/4th year students, for August 2011. We've both been to Colaiste Sheomsaimh, Carna and my friend has been to Colaiste Sheomsaimh, Cill Chiarain. We had intended to organise it earlier but my friend wasn't sure when a spanish exchange would be taking place. I'd like a good place for improving Irish and my friend is mainly looking for activities and a laugh so a balance would be best. We'll be booking in the next few days. Any ideas anyone?

If we don't find somewhere better, we'll just go back to Colaiste Sheosaimh, Cill Chiarain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 misstrnc

aine-maire wrote: »

I'm going to Colaiste Na Noilean in August is there something to worry about?? That url does not work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Choláiste Sheosaimh i gCill Chiaráin is a good course for learning Irish. Some of the teachers there are fantastic and they're very strict on speaking Irish. You'd be hard pressed to find somewhere with the same standard of learning Irish. In Cill Chiaráin the houses are segregated by age, so as a 14 year old I was in a house of all 14 year old lads with one older cinnire and when I went back at 16 I was with the older guys in a different house. To be honest though, the craic isn't that great in comparison to some others.

Choláiste Chamuis is great course aswell. I was in Camus itself but I understand that Ros A Mhíl and an Tulach are just as good. I was hugely impressed there as the balance of standard of Irish and craic. I probably preferred attending here, the houses have people of all different ages. There are students from 12-17 in the same house so the younger lads get a bit of support and encouragement from the older guys. I would highly recommend this

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

UISCE!!

DM360 wrote: »
    Choláiste Sheosaimh i gCill Chiaráin is a good course for learning Irish. Some of the teachers there are fantastic and they're very strict on speaking Irish. You'd be hard pressed to find somewhere with the same standard of learning Irish. In Cill Chiaráin the houses are segregated by age, so as a 14 year old I was in a house of all 14 year old lads with one older cinnire and when I went back at 16 I was with the older guys in a different house. To be honest though, the craic isn't that great in comparison to some others.
    I'm heading off there Sunday. :)
    xclw wrote: »
    UISCE!!
    Have heard great things about the fun there but that the Irish was awful. A friend of mine was there and he said D4 girls were getting away with just saying:
    Tá mé, I want to go to the shop.
    Míse, I'm so tired.
    Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Jackobyte wrote: »

Have heard great things about the fun there but that the Irish was awful. A friend of mine was there and he said D4 girls were getting away with just saying:
    Tá mé, I want to go to the shop.
    Míse, I'm so tired.
    Etc.

it depends on the course and who ya talk to and all, i went on the easter course and halloween course in 5th year and then 6th and barely spoke a word of english to my friends cos everyone was way more serious about it, and wants to learn irish.
    but i went in second year and spoke heard a lot of english been spoke by certain people, if you do go dont go with a big group or a heap of friends go on your own cos you are way less likely to speak english then.

i know my oral was different to the people going into 6th but, we only did a week of oral work in class and i didn't have to study for the oral and i got full marks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I went to Colaiste Sheosaimh in Cill Chiarain in June for three weeks. I found it fantastic for my Irish. I went there 2 years ago as well when my Irish was quite bad...I was getting Cs in every test at higher level...then once I went in to third year just after coming back from Colaiste Sheosaimh I ended up getting an A in JC higher level Irish! So This Colaiste really helped me so much - and I ended up going back there this year because it was so good (And after TY my Irish was quite rusty..but now I am speaking more confidently, almost fluently).

All of the teachers are highly experienced and have a huge level of Irish. Some of them even come from the area which is great because you get to learn the flow and rhythm of the Irish language in its natural form. I think , personally, that if you were to go to any Irish college you should go to Sheoisaimh in Cill Chiarain/Carna - They behold a love for the language and are quite strict on the Béarla rule too.

However I have heard that the other courses aren't as strict as Cursa A (the one which I went to) so maybe you should go to Cursa A just to insure that you learn loads! The Principal in Cursa A is a highly fluent and accomplished speaker, an experienced teacher and enforces the use of the language at all times which is the whole point of the college! no use on having a principal who lets you off with English!

As well as learning loads of Irish, you do have great craic as well. The ceilis are great - themed most nights ranging from ceili Fancy Dress to Posh agus Chav and the food (oh my god! the FOOD) is amazing! And as far as I have heard each bean-an-tí is top-class (not just the two I have been lucky to get in the two years I was there). Check out the website for a more detailed overview - just google colaiste sheoisaimh and it should come up.

Speaking from experience, you can't go wrong with colaiste sheosaimh and I am excited to say that I am heading back there for my third time next year as a cuinteoir!
    PM me If you have any queries regarding the rules, or typical day of the colaiste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jessayy

Has anyone been to both Chamuis and Spleodar? I am in 5th year, and want to improve for my LC, but also want to have fun and make/keep friends. I am really stuck between the two!
    Chamuis seems to be the generally most recommended one, but I like the idea that Spleodar has courses for only 4th and 5th years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Jessayy wrote: »
    Has anyone been to both Chamuis and Spleodar? I am in 5th year, and want to improve for my LC, but also want to have fun and make/keep friends. I am really stuck between the two!
    Chamuis seems to be the generally most recommended one, but I like the idea that Spleodar has courses for only 4th and 5th years.

I was in Spleodar before Junior Cert and Colaiste Chamuis (RAM) before LC. Camus was far superior, learned loads of irish and had so much fun too. Book soon though as places run out SO quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Try Cape Clear! I was there and learned loads! Not just Irish but also about island life too! They do a good Leaving Cert course too!

http://colaistephobalchleire.ie/ :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Jessayy wrote: »

yeah i was at camus last year. it's really, really good but it's booked out for june already so if you want to go you need to act fast! by really good, i mean very beneficial for your irish. try not to go in a big group of friends... it's always the friends who try to speak english. and it's a gaeltacht so it's always good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nevelle

Colaiste UISCE, its brilliant, i learned loads of irish there and i was even thinking in irish there, which freaked me out a little :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 linconpark

i could be going to colaiste cholumba this summer. I am in 5th year and probably going on my own. just wondering are there many 5/6th years there and is it easy to make friends if your on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 babs41

Hi, just read the posts about the courses. I'm hoping to send my son (16) on a course this year. Its between Colaiste Chiaran and Colaiste Shosamh in Galway or Colaiste na Roasann in Donegal..has anyone been to the one in Donegal?

babs41 wrote: »
    Hi, just read the posts about the courses. I'm hoping to send my son (16) on a course this year. Its between Colaiste Chiaran and Colaiste Shosamh in Galway or Colaiste na Roasann in Donegal..has anyone been to the one in Donegal?

I haven't been to the one in Donegal but my Irish teacher has warned us about going to a Donegal Gaeltacht as a lot of the time english is spoken and irish isn't taken seriously. I went to Colaiste Sheoisaimh twice and am returning this year again. I highly recommend it - there are highly experienced and qualified teachers there with each of them and the students taking Irish very seriously (no english at all!!) while learning the language in a fun enjoyable environment. I highly recommend it!

babs41 wrote: »

I haven't been to the one in Donegal but my Irish teacher has warned us about going to a Donegal Gaeltacht as a lot of the time english is spoken and irish isn't taken seriously. I went to Colaiste Sheoisaimh twice and am returning this year again. I highly recommend it - there are highly experienced and qualified teachers there with each of them and the students taking Irish very seriously (no english at all!!) while learning the language in a fun enjoyable environment. I highly recommend it!
    I've been in Colaiste Sheosaimh twice as well and I will be going again this year, though I have yet to decide whether it is as a student or a leader/cunteoir I wish to go as.

I've found it great both times and Irish is fairly strictly enforced though English is still used by many in the bedrooms when the doors are closed. I am easily one of the better students for oral Irish in my class as a result.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've been in Colaiste Sheosaimh twice as well and I will be going again this year, though I have yet to decide whether it is as a student or a leader/cunteoir I wish to go as.

I've found it great both times and Irish is fairly strictly enforced though English is still used by many in the bedrooms when the doors are closed. I am easily one of the better students for oral Irish in my class as a result.

Completely agree with that - its the same for me!

I'm going back as a Cunteoir this year! I've to go to the Cursa Cinnireachta in February...so that should be good! Did you do Cursa A/B/C? I've always done A...I prefer to go in June for some reason. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Leitir Meallain with Spleodar is areally good course.. Went there last year and the Irish rule is pretty strictly enforced!! All the staff and cinnirí were really helpful too! would highly recommend it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 babs41

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement