Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gaeltacht Course

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Unicorns_2010

Does AnyOne KNow Anything About Colaiste Gael Linn Machaire Rabhartaigh ?
    Its Fee Is £390 For Course A....
    Thanks.. x :D;):p:):cool::P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buachaillbaire

I'm in 5th year and would love to go to the Gaeltacht this Summer-but would all the places be gone by now?:(

Hi, if you're looking to maximimise the amount of Irish you can learn and have savage craic you should defo check out Coláiste Chamuis, in Conamara. Still a good few places left according to the website; www.colaistechamuis.ie

The Gaeltacht courses are very expensive, I think you would struggle to find one for under 600 euro unfortunately. This is why it's so important to chose a good course and get proper value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Unicorns_2010

Hi, if you're looking to maximimise the amount of Irish you can learn and have savage craic you should defo check out Coláiste Chamuis, in Conamara. Still a good few places left according to the website; www.colaistechamuis.ie

The Gaeltacht courses are very expensive, I think you would struggle to find one for under 600 euro unfortunately. This is why it's so important to chose a good course and get proper value for money.

well loads Of mee Frends Went There And Its Mena Be very Strict... I aint Lookin For Strict... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Thanks...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 roxykid07

Hey everyone,
    Im in TY at the mo and im looking for a good gaeltacht to go with one or two friends this summer.
    Its probly a bit late already but i said id look anyway..

Preferably in donegal but any other ones in the west would do grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buachaillbaire

Hey roxyKid, check out my post above. I would still recommend Coláiste Chamuis, it's probably one of the best around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

omg i defo have to recommend spleoder!!!
    i got a scolarship last year and it was deadly!!!
    the only comment i have is that it's real strict and has a lot of past students returning!!!!
    so if your going have a basic knowledge of the language!!!
    its irish 24/7!!!!
    even in your dreams!!!!
    :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

As an Irish teacher, the ones I'm familiar with for being particularly good are:

Coláiste Sheosaimh
    Coláiste na bhFiann
    Coláiste Lurgan
    Coláiste Chamuis
    Spleodar

There are obviously more, these are just the ones I know of.

Coláiste Chorca Dhuibhne isn't too bad, but I'd recommend it more for Junior Cert than Leaving Cert.

I wouldn't be recommending Coláiste Chiaráin- they have great craic but wouldn't be great on the Gaeilge enforcement. I've also had mixed reviews from my students regarding Coláiste UISCE and Coláiste Acla.

As regards Brú na Páirce- there's no doubt that they give great notes, they work the students hard and give great exam tips. But personally I don't like the idea of it, as it's more a grind school type scenario, as opposed to actually spending time in the Gaeltacht. I think it'd probably be ok if the student has already experienced going to a proper Coláiste Gaeilge at some stage, but Brú na Páirce does not give you the same cultural experience, the same laughs, the same excitement of going to the Céilí or the beach or doing the fun activities, the same friendships or the same love for the language that immersing yourself for 3 weeks in the heart of an Irish speaking region does.

That said, I'm fully aware that Brú na Páirce is very good at what they do. It's just completely different to going to the Gaeltacht (in that it's not the Gaeltacht at all anyway!!)

Hey roxyKid, check out my post above. I would still recommend Coláiste Chamuis, it's probably one of the best around

Oh thanx, sorry didnt notice that :pac:
    Yeah ill check it out.. i know of a few who went there alright...
    Im kinda mostly lookin for the craic and three weeks away rather than an intense irish course..ive never been to a gaeltacht before!

But a bit extra irish wouldnt do any harm :p

actually ive found one that looks good,
    Colaiste Na Rosann in Anagaire, Donegal

Anyone know anything??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cuppa.an.tea

Does AnyOne KNow Anything About Colaiste Gael Linn Machaire Rabhartaigh ?
    Its Fee Is £390 For Course A....
    Thanks.. x :D;):p:):cool::P:pac:

colaiste machaire rabhartaigh is one of the best couses in ireland i have been goin there for 5 years and i intent to go there this year as wel. the area is a lovey place where the collage is 2mins away from a beach which is unbeleivable i reccomed you go to this collage it is unreal.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 katy_00

Can anyone recommend a gaeltacht summer course for a 10 year old for next year.
    I've been told the younger she goes the easier she'll pick up the language but I don't want to put her off going at an older age if she hates it when she's young.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Hi I just heard about an irish course in Wexford that is based around watersports. Its meant to be around a week long and I am wondering ig anyone knows the name of it. I have searched the internet but to no avail.
    I would be grateful if anyone has heard anything about it, the cost / contact details etc.

Míle Buíochas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

thanks how do ya get an irish scholarship??

and are u alowed to bring your phone or anthing like that? in colaiste chaumis
    also with things like tv is that alowed???? just looking for a really good course at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

AnyOne been To Lurgan.. ?
    Is It Any Good ?

x :D;):p:cool::P:pac:
    Yes. Lurgan is awesome.

Colaiste Chiaran in Carraroe is sh!t though. Everyone spoke English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

LURGAN LURGAN LURGAN LURGAN LURGAN LURGAN...... etc... =)
    yeh it's pretty deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Colaiste na bhFiann, Sligeach... 2009 the 3 weeks i spent there turned me into a half fluent speaker.. hardly had to do a tap for my oral after it... :D just made speaking irish so natural.. wish i'd gone to more in years before.. really good craic too and everyone is genuinely into speaking the language...

definitely worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

katy_00 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a gaeltacht summer course for a 10 year old for next year.
    I've been told the younger she goes the easier she'll pick up the language but I don't want to put her off going at an older age if she hates it when she's young.

colaiste na bhfiann in st mels longford is supposed to be really good for the younger ones... from what i've heard anyways so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    colaiste na bhfiann in st mels longford is supposed to be really good for the younger ones... from what i've heard anyways so...

Spleodar Ros Muc courses 2 and 3 are specifically catered towards younger students, I've been there as a student and also worked there, the typical age is 10-12 on these courses, with some 1st and 2nd years. It's very strict but there is an excellent level of care with two to three staff members staying in every house with the student; the course director is usually the principal of a primary school so they are used to dealing with children. The staff are trained to cope with working with younger students and be even more conscientous than usual of people who are homesick, upset, struggling with Irish etc. The course numbers tend to be small for this course so it is a gentle and highly supervised introduction to the Gaeltacht for younger children, whilst still being incredibly strict so they will learn a hell of a lot of Irish... it will really stand to them. Colaiste na bhFiann is also an excellent very strict Gaeltacht, but it is a little bit too hardcore for a ten year old I think! Here is the Spleodar website: www.spleodar.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

fauxshow wrote: »
    Spleodar Ros Muc courses 2 and 3 are specifically catered towards younger students, I've been there as a student and also worked there, the typical age is 10-12 on these courses, with some 1st and 2nd years. It's very strict but there is an excellent level of care with two to three staff members staying in every house with the student; the course director is usually the principal of a primary school so they are used to dealing with children. The staff are trained to cope with working with younger students and be even more conscientous than usual of people who are homesick, upset, struggling with Irish etc. The course numbers tend to be small for this course so it is a gentle and highly supervised introduction to the Gaeltacht for younger children, whilst still being incredibly strict so they will learn a hell of a lot of Irish... it will really stand to them. Colaiste na bhFiann is also an excellent very strict Gaeltacht, but it is a little bit too hardcore for a ten year old I think! Here is the Spleodar website: www.spleodar.com

I can't believe Spleodar hasn't been mentioned more often in this thread! The irish-only rule is strongly enforced and in my opinion it's by far the best gaeltacht! :D Although i may be slightly biased because i've only ever been to one other gaeltacht besides spleodar.. but i would highly recommend it to everyone! (There are different courses for various age-groups)
    Loved working in Rosmuc because the kids are always so enthusiastic about everything and it was amazing to see the improvement in their irish in such a short space of time :)
    Rosmuc go deo!

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Colaiste na bhFiann are fairly strict, it saved me from OL irish :)

is the one in ros muc more for 3 rd yr or more for those in leaving cert?????:o:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Viva La Cozzy

Coláiste Bhreaináin In Ballybunnion in Kerry, is very good, i went there two years in a row and i would go back again if i had the chance..
    They do stictly enforce the irish speaking rule, three strikes and your out, they have about 3, hour long, classes every day except sunday, there's mass as gaeilge instead sunday, most of the days are filled with loads of activities, sport and of course the Chéilí each night are great craic. I can ensure that your daughter will have a great time here and learn a lot aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Coláiste Ó Direáin on Inis Mór. I was there years ago and found the standard high. Full immersion in the language.

www.odireain.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 OConallain

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My daughter is in 5th year & next summer she wants to go to the Gaeltacht. Can any of you advise on which courses / colleges are best? She really wants to go somewhere where the "Speak Irish Rule" will be strictly enforced . . . . but equally wants to have a bit of craic!
    Thanks in advance :)

Coláiste na bhFiann are an excellent gaeltacht group with many colleges around the country. Their irish college in sligo and gaeltacht college in rath cairn have extremly high levels of irish. I have attended them on several occasions and I am now fluent in the language and some of my fondest memories are from attending the colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjFUA5IHVIU
    that video is a pretty good insight into how amazing lurgan is =)
    you learn heaps of irish, and everyone is so friendly and helpful. i seriously can't recommend it more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 8888

been going to the gaeltacht since after 5th class, in leaving cert now, colaiste na bhfiann, in my opinion, are by far the best. ros muc is more for junior cycle although older students do go aswel, sligo and rath cairn are generally more senior cycle but once again that is not a rule or anything. the one downside is that they are not very focused on the leaving cert syllabus and more concerned with increasing fluency which they definitely suceed in doing! but maybe before 6th year to go to bru na pairce, not fun but very centred on the leaving cert.

Quirkyduck wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope its not to late to reply. I have attended the gaeltacht in Conemeara for the past few years. I am Now a cinnera minding the students and LOVE it. The organization I an with is Spleodar, they are funded by the government and are easlily one of the most prestigeous gaeltachts in Ireland. The main emphasis is on gaeilge!! For three weeks you are not allowed your mobile phone and if you speak over a sentence of bearla you are sent home. I know ll of this seems strick but believe me the craic is mighty. Also this gaeltacht offers events through out the year after the course to keep up you irish, such as the clubanna where we speak Irish and play games, get grinds etc for 2 hours. I am now fleunt in Irish and Im only sitting the LC this year, great reputation I'd truly recommend it. You have a choice of 5 venues in connemeara to choose from and there are 3 three week course times to choose too.
    Hope this has helped
    try the website -
    www.spleodar.com

are you aloud to use your phone in any of the spleodar courses and colaiste chamuis does anyone know???

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

are you aloud to use your phone in any of the spleodar courses and colaiste chamuis does anyone know???

Phones are strictly banned in Spleodar. But I would seriously recommend this place. I really noticed how much my Irish improved when I went back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

and are u alowed to bring your phone or anthing like that? in colaiste chaumis
    also with things like tv is that alowed???? just looking for a really good course at the moment !
    not a chance of your phone or telly in Colaiste Chamuis or any gaeltacht. I went to colaiste chamuis 4 years,
    and it was the best experience in my life. Yeah other gaeltachts might be more "craic" because there not as strict but your going to learn irish not a summer camp! If you put in the effort you'l get back the enjoyment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

LittleBear wrote: »
    Coláiste Na Rinne in Waterford is great. Theres a huge emphasis on speaking Irish which is great. An Rinn is beside the sea so the children go for walks to the beach if the weathers fine. Really sound gang...she should check it out. Theres cinniri in all the dorm's. But you can choose to stay with a family aswell. If you want to PM me i can recommened personal friends parents who are fluent in Irish and speak it everyday so she'll defo get to learn alot in their house.

www.anrinn.com

DO NOT go to An Rinn!! (Coláiste na Rinne) I've been there many times myself and the speak Irish rule is not well enforced at all, and the craic is not the best for those over JC age. I would recommend Leitir Mealláin, Spleodar where the rule is strictly enforced and there are plenty of Cinnirí who will be only slightly older than your daughter, if even. They become friends! There is a non-exclusion rule as well, And the course is only for 4th to 6th yr. It was great fun and there is a bus from Carlow. There is also a specific hour and a half long extra class for leaving cert students where you will get good notes!
    Spleodar do not allow phones!
    You will need to book quite early for Spleodar!!
    My Irish greatly improved from going here!
    I've heard Coláiste na bhFian is also excellent, but I have heard bad reports on Coláiste Lorgan.
    Good luck, hope I'm not too late replying!

Advertisement