Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gaeltacht Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Hi.

I'm in 5th year and next summer I hope to go to the gaeltacht. Which is the best one? (in the Galway area if possible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

it depends what you are looking for! do you want somewhere to go with your friends to have a laugh and learn a bit of irish or do you want to go somewhere serious to learn irish for the lc??

Somewhere serious to learn irish for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Neddieog

Gaoth Dobhair! Cant beat it man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The only thing I'd watch with the Gaeltachts is that I think in some ways it really screwed up my Irish in that you're mostly learning from other students, so you learn all their mistakes.

• Advertisement

bru na pairce is the place to go if you're really serious about doing well in irish. you cover all the lc course in 2 weeks basically! i've never been there myself but i've heard it's great but a little like a concentration camp:) there's probably a thread where it's been discussed already.

Gaoth Dobhair! Cant beat it man

Wheres that? :)
    The only thing I'd watch with the Gaeltachts is that I think in some ways it really screwed up my Irish in that you're mostly learning from other students, so you learn all their mistakes.

Really :eek: Ya i don't know whether to go or not but I really need to improve my irish.
    bru na pairce is the place to go if you're really serious about doing well in irish. you cover all the lc course in 2 weeks basically! i've never been there myself but i've heard it's great but a little like a concentration campsmile.gif there's probably a thread where it's been discussed already.

I think i've heard of it.. Is that not supposed to be really hard though?. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Having taught in all the following I'd say Coláiste Lurgan or Coláiste Camais are both fantastic. And serious.

Having taught in all the following I'd say Coláiste Lurgan or Coláiste Camais are both fantastic. And serious.

Really. Where are they? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Lurgan is in Indreabhan in Conamara. It was so much fun and the activities are great. And theres a beach :D
    I think they're a lot stricter than a lot of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Neddieog

Gaoth Dobhair (Gweedore) in Co. Donegal! Lovely place and scenary and great for learning Irish. Nightlife is great also for having a bit of craic! Well recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Could anyone recommend a good Gaeltacht in Kerry or Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

hi
    im just wondering can someone give me alot of details about colaiste spleodar in camus please ?
    do you go on any trips like to the aran islands? and things like that ?
    is it any good and is it strict on general rules or just on irish???????much apeciated. thanks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

One of the strictest gaeltachts is Colaiste na bhFiann in Ros Muc, learn loads but its not exactly fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Hey! Im in 5th year and im looking for a ghaeltacht in June. Spleodar is booked up so Im now looking at Cholaiste Chamuis Ros a Mhil.
    Does anyone have any info on this course? Also, are you allowed in a house with your friends? It's my first year going and i'd rather not be alone!
    And is there a rule on hair straightners?! The website's not very informative!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Hi!
    When I was first going to Spleodar it was 'booked up'... just ring them to be out on the waiting list and you will have a good chance of getting a place, they want your money!!
    Otherwise, Colaiste na bhFiann is really strict you learn loads but I don't know if it's fun. You can ask to be put with a friend on your form, straighteners are allowed as far as I know! I would really advise you to go to a strict one though, I went to Colaiste na Rinne (Dungarvan) and it's not strict enough at all. Much better for your Irish to go to a strict one, and even if it is your first time, you will get over the initial shock of it really quickly.
    Hope that was helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Colaite na bhFiann were good when i went before 3rd year . . .the speak irish rule was very strictly enforced!!!but had a great time anyway . . .

annainez wrote: »

Otherwise, Colaiste na bhFiann is really strict you learn loads but I don't know if it's fun. You can ask to be put with a friend on your form, straighteners are allowed as far as I know!

I was on Colasite na bhFiann's site and they said no straighteners and your not allowed to be with friends or family..:confused:
    I know they seem like minor things but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I was on Colasite na bhFiann's site and they said no straighteners and your not allowed to be with friends or family..:confused:

you're in dorms in most of them so the no straightners thing is prob fire safety . . .a good few on my course went with friends so i dont know what the story there is . . .:confused:

the straighteners is a rule in most irish colleges you go to, whether it's dorms or houses you stay in, it's just for safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

i like pie wrote: »
    the straighteners is a rule in most irish colleges you go to, whether it's dorms or houses you stay in, it's just for safety.

Never heard of this no straighteners rule ever before, but Clairey, you're better off phoning the college for info that will either make or break a deal!

Never heard of this no straighteners rule ever before, but Clairey, you're better off phoning the college for info that will either make or break a deal!

Yeah I sent them an email, but it was Friday night so I don't really expect a reply 'till tomorrow! I'll give them a buzz tomorrow then!

Fingers crossed its alright, although it's my own fault for leaving it so late! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Would the straighteners rule put ye off out of interest? We always had that rule when I worked there.

Would the straighteners rule put ye off out of interest? We always had that rule when I worked there.

Ahh it would a little bit yeah, I won't lie! I know, I know it's shallow, but still even if we got them morning and evening or something and then handed them back up, for safety and that!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Okay so, I'm going with two other friends to the Gaeltacht during the summer and am looking for a Leaving Cert based three week course during the month of June.

My friend wants to go to Galway and has given us leaflets about both one is called Colaiste Uí Chadain or Colaiste O Direann. We both think that Colaiste Uí Chadain looks more fun because although we went a great Irish course to improve our oral Irish we also want to have alot of fun; it's during the summer holidays after all! Colaiste O Direann looks really strict and not so fun. Neither of us mind about the Irish rule in either because we NEED to improve our Irish for the Lc. Also it will be my first time going to a Gaeltacht so I'd really like to be in a room with my friends.

Can anyone who went to either or both tell me about what their experience was of the place and are there any other places they would recommend taking into consideration of what I've said we want? Thank you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lami16

Hi ,

I am in TY and looking to go to a gaeltacht this June. I applied for Ros A Mhil Colaiste Camus but it is already fully booked.

I would like a course in June which is not too strict but would really improve my Irish as I would like to be a primary school teacher so I need a C in Honours Irish.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

What are they like?:) (Irish rule, fun, well roundedness, daily activities, classes, Leaving Cert exam focus etc) Thanks in advance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

Hi!
    When I was first going to Spleodar it was 'booked up'... just ring them to be out on the waiting list and you will have a good chance of getting a place, they want your money!!
    Otherwise, Colaiste na bhFiann is really strict you learn loads but I don't know if it's fun. You can ask to be put with a friend on your form, straighteners are allowed as far as I know! I would really advise you to go to a strict one though, I went to Colaiste na Rinne (Dungarvan) and it's not strict enough at all. Much better for your Irish to go to a strict one, and even if it is your first time, you will get over the initial shock of it really quickly.
    Hope that was helpful!

what was colaiste spleodar like .. was it strict ? and do u go on tours like to the aran islands and things like that?:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

ach is fearr Gaeilge briste ná Bearla cliste...

and having a level of fluency will get you a long way in orals even if you have a few errors thrown in - better than stuttering through the oral with perfect irish but sounding like your thinking about every single word you say before it comes out of your mouth...

speaking irish for 3 weeks straight will help you more than it will hinder you unless your picking up japanese instead of irish or something ridiculously bad habits... don't be worrying about picking up bad habits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 aptmilpalmeras

Anyone have any experience of Colaiste Bhreanainn?

Advertisement