Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gaeltacht Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Piste wrote: »
    Brú na Pairce is meant to be very intense and strict...it's totally focused on the leaving cert exam, but it's pretty much all work and study all day every day with not much of a social side, so might be a bit extreme for her.

do they have a website do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

kateos2 wrote: »

Don't think they do, i went looking for it, but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

kateos2 wrote: »

I don't think so, a quick google showed up nothing, but this site has a contact no for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 beomhar

Piste wrote: »
    I don't think so, a quick google showed up nothing, but this site has a contact no for them.

as a past student of bru na pairce nd other irish courses i wouldnt recommend bru na pairce, you work from ten to ten every day plus homework still to be finished.
    it does not foster any love the language but instead overwhelms you with so much information that you cant correctly process within the ten day space.
    you are meant to speak irish all the time but there is no supervision and it doesnt really happen. it all depends on what you are looking for really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I've heard it's really intense like that alright. I'd never go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

irlande wrote: »
    :) Couldn't agree more with that. Been there for 5 years now.
    The atmosphere of a Gaeltacht Island really adds to the feeling of being in a new culture and community.
    Like degausserxo said, the college places cinniri in the vast majority of houses meaning that they're well supervised almost 24/7.

Couldnt recommend it any stronger.

O'Duill? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Quirkyduck

Hi,
    I hope its not to late to reply. I have attended the gaeltacht in Conemeara for the past few years. I am Now a cinnera minding the students and LOVE it. The organization I an with is Spleodar, they are funded by the government and are easlily one of the most prestigeous gaeltachts in Ireland. The main emphasis is on gaeilge!! For three weeks you are not allowed your mobile phone and if you speak over a sentence of bearla you are sent home. I know ll of this seems strick but believe me the craic is mighty. Also this gaeltacht offers events through out the year after the course to keep up you irish, such as the clubanna where we speak Irish and play games, get grinds etc for 2 hours. I am now fleunt in Irish and Im only sitting the LC this year, great reputation I'd truly recommend it. You have a choice of 5 venues in connemeara to choose from and there are 3 three week course times to choose too.
    Hope this has helped
    try the website -
    www.spleodar.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Arainn Mhoir in Donegal.. the rule there doesn't need to be forced, the majority of people simply just stick with it! Plus there're cinniri in most of the houses so she'll be looked after well!

www.arainnmhor.com/colaiste
    listen to this guy!
    it rocks socks!
    @degau did you go this year and if so 1st or second course?
    PM me coz I never really use this forum :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Quirkyduck wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope its not to late to reply. I have attended the gaeltacht in Conemeara for the past few years. I am Now a cinnera minding the students and LOVE it. The organization I an with is Spleodar, they are funded by the government and are easlily one of the most prestigeous gaeltachts in Ireland. The main emphasis is on gaeilge!! For three weeks you are not allowed your mobile phone and if you speak over a sentence of bearla you are sent home. I know ll of this seems strick but believe me the craic is mighty. Also this gaeltacht offers events through out the year after the course to keep up you irish, such as the clubanna where we speak Irish and play games, get grinds etc for 2 hours. I am now fleunt in Irish and Im only sitting the LC this year, great reputation I'd truly recommend it. You have a choice of 5 venues in connemeara to choose from and there are 3 three week course times to choose too.
    Hope this has helped
    try the website -
    www.spleodar.com

Me too, Spleodar is without a doubt the best Gaeltacht. I should know, I've been to three others, and Spleodar was the first one to strictly enforce the no-English rule. It was also the first one with adequate supervision.(there's a cinnire in every house) And I have to say that it was the most fun!
    So many other Colaistí are a complete and utter waste of money, but Spleodar is worth every cent. I can honestly say that it's where I've learned the majority of my own Irish. I wouldn't go anywhere else, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

aine-maire wrote: »
    Me too, Spleodar is without a doubt the best Gaeltacht. I should know, I've been to three others, and Spleodar was the first one to strictly enforce the no-English rule. It was also the first one with adequate supervision.(there's a cinnire in every house) And I have to say that it was the most fun!
    So many other Colaistí are a complete and utter waste of money, but Spleodar is worth every cent. I can honestly say that it's where I've learned the majority of my own Irish. I wouldn't go anywhere else, honestly.

Some skobes from Spleodar threw a brick through the window of our bus :D

Theres a CnaB college quite close to a Spleodar in Ros Muc AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

If its for strict enforcement Colaiste Cumas in Connemara down in a very bleak hole of a place - my kids went there - son disliked daughter liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

spleodars the best ever...been 7 times...never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keane-xx

Whats colaiste na nOilean like?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

keane-xx wrote: »
    Whats colaiste na nOilean like?!

http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054915690&highlight=colaiste+noilean&page=4

See here!
    Hope you haven't booked it already :eek:
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paperglue

I went to colaiste lurgan and bru na pairce. Lurgan was good fun. B:)ru na pairce was pretty intense but it was all worth it when i came out with an A1 in irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Just arrived back from Brú na Párce, was defintely an enormous amount of work but really worth it. I had no idea there was so much about the language that i didn't know after studying it for 12 years!! Lol but 2 weeks there definitely fixed it! I don't even think they have a rule about speaking english all the time but you really couldn't do that as well as the workload. Great course, will keep you posted on the results!! lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Unicorns_2010

Has Anyone Got A Good , Not Too Strict gaeltacht For Under €500 ??
    Thanks.. x
    :):D:p:pac::cool::rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

coláiste cholumba :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Lol I went one off the coast of cork on a little island -colaiste Ciaran maybe?

I improved my vocab from stone age- to basic. But most of it was spent talking in english so I wouldn't recommend it that much unless you're really serious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Colaiste Ui Chadhain. I'm a good few years out of school now but I spent 3 weeks there every summer from 6th class to my LC year there. Absolutely loved it. They were strict when I went and I would assume that's still the same. The rule used to be one full sentence in English then slan abhaile. I came close to be booted out my first year (I hadn't a clue and I was considerably younger than everyone!) but teachers helped me out so fortunately I didn't have to face my parents

Hope this helps!

L

• Advertisement

Thanks But coláiste cholumba is €890 i asked €500...
    lol
    does anyone know any details for Co. Donegal: Coláiste Machaire Rabhartaigh ?
    thanks.. x :D;):p:):rolleyes::o:cool::P:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

I'm in 5th year and would love to go to the Gaeltacht this Summer-but would all the places be gone by now?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Thanks But coláiste cholumba is €890 i asked €500...
    lol
    does anyone know any details for Co. Donegal: Coláiste Machaire Rabhartaigh ?
    thanks.. x :D;):p:):rolleyes::o:cool::P:pac:

DOn't get excited about Cui Chadhain either - I thought it was €295 but that was just the deposit (it's €895). God I must be so out of touch. Apologies!

L

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

GA361 wrote: »
    I was in Sligo this year,and I was in Rath Cairn two years ago.
    Rath Cairn is by far the better one.It is more authentic as it is a Gaeltacht.

I was in sligo too this year, what month were you? I was july.

Loopie wrote: »
    DOn't get excited about Cui Chadhain either - I thought it was €295 but that was just the deposit (it's €895). God I must be so out of touch. Apologies!

L

No... Well Like Its Stupid , They Should have the Fee with the Deposite... !! its ****.. The Full Price Is So Hard To Find... I reli Wanna Go But They Are Quite Expensive... Pleasee AnyOne Got Any Places Under €600..... ? x
    Thanks.... x :D:p;):rolleyes::):o:cool::pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Arainn Mhoir in Donegal.. the rule there doesn't need to be forced, the majority of people simply just stick with it! Plus there're cinniri in most of the houses so she'll be looked after well!

www.arainnmhor.com/colaiste

i'm looking to go to a gaeltacht for the summer too. And this looks really good. Would i have missed the closing date? My internet is broken at the moment and i can't see the application form on my phone :/

The places won't be all gone at this point at all - I booked mine in June for July if I remember right.

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    The places won't be all gone at this point at all - I booked mine in June for July if I remember right.

what One Are Yhuu Goin To ? x :D;):p:):rolleyes::o:cool::P:pac:

We're not in june yet!:L This was for a few years ago as I mentioned up there ^

• Advertisement

AnyOne been To Lurgan.. ?
    Is It Any Good ?

x :D;):p:cool::P:pac:

Advertisement