Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Vs Fifa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I've played both. FIFA is streets ahead this year in all ways (IMO, before people start ranting) It has rated higher on every games review site that i have seen. It has better online play, better gameplay (more realistic anyway) better graphics and way more to do. I used to be a die hard Pro Evo fan too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

So who's played both new games?
    Anyone care to review, say which is better

I've played the demos for both PES and Fifa on both 360 & PS3. I've played the retail on PS3 for both also.

I would rate fifa 8.5/10 and PES at 4/10.

Fifa has its faults for sure BUT PES is just ... lame. I;ve detailed my thoughts on PES already (in other threads) so not going into detail again.

I agree with most negative reviews of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

After having both games now for over a week, and having the benefit of a full week off work, I have to say that for the first time, imo, fifa comes out on top.

For years FIFA great selling point was the licences and while this was a great benefit, the game never matched up to PES for gameplay.

Well the latest Fifa has, and in fact may have even surpassed PES for gameplay. Add to this the licences etc. Fifa is on a winner.

I have played footie games on consoles for over a decade and can safely say that Fifa 09 comes closest to the real thing. Beng a PES fan all along makes me a tad sad, but I feel that last years poor attempt, when expectations were so high, really gave fifa the initiative, which to their credit they took.

I would suggest to potential buyers to rent both games first, however after doing this I would be surprised if the majority to not buy FIFA rather than PES.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I agree with the majority here, own Fifa, played pes with friends there the other day could not believe how much better fifa is, and i've been a pro evo fan for years. The best fifa game since 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I've gone for FIFA over PES for the first time ever. It's bloody good. Reminds me of Pro Evo 5 is style of play and there's no lag on Xbox live. Quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Can any of the last 5 posters give a reason why FIFA is better? Don't want to sound like a prick, but it's almost impossible to find good reviews from actual gamers on either game. For instance, if gameplay is better in one, why?
    From what I can make out from reviews:
    Fifa pros:
    • Better graphics (having viewed some videos, i agree, fifa looks way better)
    • No lag online
    Fifa cons:
    • You score the same goals all the time
    • Too hard to dribble
    • Too hard to score from distance

PES pros
    • Good variation of goals - that's it!
    PES cons
    • Online llllaaaaaaggggggggggg (a reason alone not to buy it imho, but will it be sorted?)
    • Watching the video of gameplay, looks identical to the last PS2 gameplay.
    I'm leaning towards PES at the moment, every year you get the usual "fifa is finally better this year" and it's not, it's the same tripe.

Quint wrote: »
    Can any of the last 5 posters give a reason why FIFA is better? Don't want to sound like a prick, but it's almost impossible to find good reviews from actual gamers on either game. For instance, if gameplay is better in one, why?

We have given our reasons already, if you read the posts it should become clear. Review sites that review games do have gamers reviewing the games. Did you think they just dragged in oldies from the street to give their opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I prefer PES 2009 this year.

The gameplay is the deciding factor for me and has the most weight associated with it when I decide what game to get. Traditionally this has always been PES's forté... at least up until last year's version.

Though the main elements were still there, the framerate while playing was very poor and the speed was much too fast. Of course, the major gripe I had was with the online, which was unplayable.

This year, however, the gameplay is back to what it should be. The game is slower but not so slow as to get boring and the framerate issues are gone. They have kept the good gameplay changes the PES 2008 had (few as they were) in that corners can now actually be contested and free-kicks are now easier to pull off.

The inclusion of Become a Legend has really added longetivity to PES this year, as well as a return to form of the awesome Master League mode and the new Champions League. The Edit Mode is also vastly improved, though that is just an aesthetic advantage.

Though, it still looks similar to older PES versions, the player animations and graphics are an improvement over 2008.

As for FIFA, I could not get around the gameplay problems I had with it. It felt too slow and the method of play seemed to descend too quickly into a regime of quick pass, dash into the box and shot ASAP.

While the other features are certainly making FIFA a serious option again, from what it was a few years ago, they need to tweak the gameplay more, before I can feel comfortable with it.

My €0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

We have given our reasons already, if you read the posts it should become clear. Review sites that review games do have gamers reviewing the games. Did you think they just dragged in oldies from the street to give their opinions?

No offence, but "better gameplay (more realistic anyway)" doesn't really tell me anything. It looks more realistic because of better graphics.
    My reason for getting a footie game is purely gameplay and the next important thing is online play.
    Review sites have professionals reviewing the game. I want someone thats a fan of either, they can pick up on any little thing. It's hard to get past all the "fifa rulz n pes suxs" reviews.
    Good man octagon, that's what I was looking for. Free kicks were way to hard on the last one.

Review sites have professionals reviewing the game. I want someone thats a fan of either, they can pick up on any little thing. It's hard to get past all the "fifa rulz n pes suxs" reviews.

If you go for fan reviews, fanboi-ism is more than likely what you'll get
    Good man octagon...

Jesus wept :(

• Advertisement

No offence, but "better gameplay (more realistic anyway)" doesn't really tell me anything. It looks more realistic because of better graphics.

Sure just get the demos of both or rent them for a week and decide then. FIFA has rated higher everywhere this year on all the sites i have seen. As illustrated below in the metacritic average scores for both (clickable links)

FIFA 09

PES 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Good man octagon...
    Hahaha! Poor Otacon... :)

IMO, anybody who thinks FIFA looks better than Pro Evo are just plain thick! I'm sorry, but did you notice how top heavy the players look in FIFA!? If I looked like that I'd classify myself as physically retarded! Look, proportionaly, the FIFA players look out of sync, Pro Evo's players are grand, they have no chinks of a bluthered torso, big heads or anything. The Pro Evo players look (almost) as real as they do in person or on TV. Even the big players FIFA (eg. Rooney, Ronaldiniho, Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi) don't look as good as they should, let alone their PES counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

I have had every PES game since PES 2 and i consider myself as a hardcore PES gamer but i have to hold my hands up and agree that Fifa is better. I have both games and have played both of them in depth and i think Fifa is a much better game. The become a legend mode i find very very hard maybe because i havent given it my full attention but i just got bored with it! I like the addition of the Champions League but its just the overall lazyness of Konami that has changed my mind this year. How fifa can release a game nearly 2weeks before PES with all updated transfers & PES dont have them baffles me. The champions league should have been in the master league. The weight of the ball in PES feels like the player is kicking around a bowling ball (granted at the start i thought it was like a baloon in Fifa but ive got the hang of it now). The stupid repetitve chants wreck my head aswel. I know that these are all little things but its the little things for me that Fifa gets my vote. I hate to say it but konami have to scrap everything & start fresh again and put as much effort in as Fifa have!

Anyway thats my view, i dont really care if people dont agree with me but just tought id let you all know what i thought. PES2009 will be getting traded in for COD5!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

I've played both. FIFA is streets ahead this year in all ways (IMO, before people start ranting) It has rated higher on every games review site that i have seen. It has better online play, better gameplay (more realistic anyway) better graphics and way more to do. I used to be a die hard Pro Evo fan too.....

Exact same opinion. I was Pro Evo through and through until last year. Have both this year because my mates still haven't changed over to FIFA so I need to play Pro to play them but FIFA is much better gameplay and a hell of a lot more to do

Nailz wrote: »
    IMO, anybody who thinks FIFA looks better than Pro Evo are just plain thick! I'm sorry, but did you notice how top heavy the players look in FIFA!? If I looked like that I'd classify myself as physically retarded! Look, proportionaly, the FIFA players look out of sync, Pro Evo's players are grand, they have no chinks of a bluthered torso, big heads or anything. The Pro Evo players look (almost) as real as they do in person or on TV. Even the big players FIFA (eg. Rooney, Ronaldiniho, Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi) don't look as good as they should, let alone their PES counterparts.

I really have no idea where you're getting that from Nailz.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I used to to have both PES and Fifa on PS2 and at the time prefered PES, when I got my PS3 I got Fifa and downloaded the demo of PES and found Fifa a million times better. Couldn't believe the lack of progress PES had failed to make.

Was at a mates at the weekend and was playing the new PES and again what have they been doing????, it was the exact same as the previous one.

Has anyone else noticed a distinct problem in sync with how the players run in the new PES? it looks so strange, something is badly wrong.

For the last two versions of both, Fifa wins every time.

But as everyone suggests, go and download the demos and see for yourself which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Nailz wrote: »
    IMO, anybody who thinks FIFA looks better than Pro Evo are just plain thick!

Did you play Fifa '09 or are you talking about Fifa '97 here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

i was a Pro Evo fan through and through, wasn;t overly impressed last year, but got my ps3 and fifa with it (felt very guilty and a bit dirty doing that :-)) and i have to say, im mightily impressed by fifa 09.
    this year it beats PES for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

paulusdu wrote: »
    i was a Pro Evo fan through and through, wasn;t overly impressed last year, but got my ps3 and fifa with it (felt very guilty and a bit dirty doing that :-)) and i have to say, im mightily impressed by fifa 09.
    this year it beats PES for me.

+1

Rented Fifa 09 whilst I waited for PES 09 to come out and I fell in love with the game.
    It is fantastic. The graphics are incredible, though players are slightly stocky in comparison to PES. But the gameplay graphics are unreal. Crystal clear. The gameplay is so much more realistic as well. The game modes are way more developed. The Become a Legend pales in comparison to Fifa's Be a Pro. The camera for one alone destroys Pro Evo's entire Become a Legend mode. With Fifa's Be a Pro you also get to know how you are doing during the match.
    PES has become an arcade football game and once you have 1 you have them all.
    Fifa is the next gen football game.

I sold my PS3 I was so disappointed with PES for PS3. Playing PES 08 on PS2 again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I really have no idea where you're getting that from Nailz.....:eek:
    brianon wrote: »
    Did you play Fifa '09 or are you talking about Fifa '97 here ?
    Oh shìt... :confused: Am I really the only guy that thinks this??? Ehhh, I'll be seeing ya's later! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 IrishMac11

I like Fifa:)

IrishMac11 wrote: »

/Slap on the back

Well done son.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Been a pro evo fan since it started, was a huge ISS fan, its predecessor. However having played both of this years versions, Fifa is superior. Both games have flaws, but I find that Fifa has less than Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

Been a pro evo fan since it started, was a huge ISS fan, its predecessor. However having played both of this years versions, Fifa is superior. Both games have flaws, but I find that Fifa has less than Pro.
    i tink this statement is totally false, fifa has got better, but it stil just doesn have the speed that pro evo has, also wi the addition of the be a pro/legend mode pro evo is much better as it has a full career, rather than just 4 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Fifa does have the speed, you can adjust it. You can have it really quick and arcadey like pro or ya can have slower and realistic. Become a legend is probably more realistic than Be a pro. I find those modes get very boring after a while anyway, its not too much of a factor when considering which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ok, Ive been a devout ISS/Pro Evo man since '97 and last night I did a one week game swap with my friend who is a FIFA man. PES 2009 for FIFA 09.

I didnt check in the settings but is the Skill Level automatically set to medium(or whatever the midway difficulty level is called in the game.)on the new FIFA??? I only played 5 games last night but my God it was easy in comparison to Pro Evo 2009. My results were 2-1 and then when I got a hang of the controls 2-0, 3-0, 4-0 and 4-0.

Ive also found the through balls and one twos to be much more effective in the new FIFA as the players actually respond to what you want them to do, in Pro 2009 Ive often pressed the pass button twice and the player still wont decide to play the pass!!

BUT!!!! Pro Evos graphics are so much better that its not even funny. I couldnt believe it when I had a close up look at players in FIFA 09 before the game, lining up in the tunnel or on instant replays. They look absolutely terrible. Almost reminiscent of footie games 4 or 5 years ago.

Well..thats Rockees 2 cent thus far!!! I'll maybe check back in before Ive to give FIFA back at the end of the week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

IrishMac11 wrote: »
    Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

Fifa does have the speed, you can adjust it. You can have it really quick and arcadey like pro or ya can have slower and realistic. Become a legend is probably more realistic than Be a pro. I find those modes get very boring after a while anyway, its not too much of a factor when considering which is better.

ah it mite have improved the flow of the game, but there is stil that delay when goin to pass a ball or shoot, which is annoyin!!!!!

Rockee wrote: »
    BUT!!!! Pro Evos graphics are so much better that its not even funny.

lolz :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

lolz :D

Exactly..that was my reaction when I turned on FIFA the other night.

Advertisement