Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Vs Fifa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,227 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Libero Grande

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Thats the one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Seperate wrote: »
    I'm sick of all the patient build up being forced on me. I liked it at the start, but now i just want to beat more then 2 players on a run and unleash a rocketship from 25 yards without it going into row Z!

Have you tried holding Left Trigger/L2 (or whatever you have the skill button set to) when you shoot from distance?
    It'll give the shot more power and generally drive it, which will keep it down. ;)

Also Tauren are you playing with everything set to Auto? Passing/Crossing/Through Balls/Shooting etc?
    Fifa is quite crap unless you change everything to Manual or at least Semi-Manual. Try shooting and Passing on Semi and long/through balls and crossign on Manual, makes a hell of a lot of difference and adds a good bit of reward to pulling things off.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Having never played either game... What should I start with of the two new ones? I'll be going for the Wii version. There seems to be some religious style fanatacism about each so I don't know if I'll get a straight answer, but... What are the differences? Like, is one particularly good for single player, is one more tactical, which has a better multiplayer, etc etc...

doonothing wrote: »
    Having never played either game... What should I start with of the two new ones? I'll be going for the Wii version. There seems to be some religious style fanatacism about each so I don't know if I'll get a straight answer, but... What are the differences? Like, is one particularly good for single player, is one more tactical, which has a better multiplayer, etc etc...

the Wii version of FIFA is basically two games. There is one more realistic version, and a second part of the game that is kinda like a Wii Sports Football title, which actually looks like great fun.

Really it depends on what you are looking for, I reckon FIFA would be better for playing with family/kids, with Pro being a bit more complicated to play.

• Advertisement

Oh, is that Fifa all-play or whatever, I thought that was the entire game? So there's the Fifa that's on the other consoles (more or less) plus that game?
    Aaaand, I see Pro Evo isn't out til March. Might get both...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

the more i play the demo the more i yearn for a proper full match in pro evo.

From what I gather Fifa is the more casual of the two then? I know I'd prefer the more in-depth of the two... Hmm what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Fifa is far far more in depth than pro evo this year. Looking at controls for instance, it could take literally months to master the subtle nuances of fifa whilst pro evo by the looks of it could be done and dusted in a few weeks. If you want fun and entertainment and a shining game with all you favourite players and teams with a seriously in depth and inventive online mode, get fifa. I don't know what good to say about pro evo. It's just that it bores me and i've seen it all before. Plus, some of the animations and sound effects make looking at the screen truly cringeworthy.. And i haven't even heard the commentary yet!

m83 wrote: »
    Fifa is far far more in depth than pro evo this year. Looking at controls for instance, it could take literally months to master the subtle nuances of fifa whilst pro evo by the looks of it could be done and dusted in a few weeks. If you want fun and entertainment and a shining game with all you favourite players and teams with a seriously in depth and inventive online mode, get fifa. I don't know what good to say about pro evo. It's just that it bores me and i've seen it all before. Plus, some of the animations and sound effects make looking at the screen truly cringeworthy.. And i haven't even heard the commentary yet!

FIFA is boring though. Way to hard to do anything spectacular. Way too easy to tackle. Can put together lovely passing moves that put me clear to score a nice goal, but try to beat a player and smack it in from 25? Nah, keeper will pluck it out of the air with ease (unless in the Arena mode, where it is easy to smack them in from distance...)

If you want fun and entertainment, Pro Evo is the choice, if you a game that forces a style of play on you, (albeit a great looking style of play) FIFA is the better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For me, FIFA and PES swapped places last time around - PES became the unrealistic arcade game and FIFA the football simulator. Been playing FIFA since Friday and it's a brilliant game, with the difficulty set to hard the AI comes into it's own and offers a great game off football. The 10 v 10 game online mode is simply brilliant.

Judging by the PES demo, there aren't that many improvements over last year's poor offering. I still reserve judgement but for the first time since ISS Pro, I won't be buying the latest PES game at launch and will wait to see how reviews pan and more importantly online play pans out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Does anyone know if PES will have the same stupid registration system for online linked to the disc this time? Buggered up the trade in price last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

PES gameplay 1vs1 is good still, but i got sick of (10 minute) games finishing 8 - 6 or 9 -4, which happened quite a lot! football matches never end with scores like that (unless the teams are rank amateurs) it's ridiculous how many goals can be scored, if they can sort that out as well as the useless goalies and AI acting shockingly stupid, the game will be great again in my view. Right now the most realistic version of console or PC footie is provided by FIFA and that's why i prefer it at the mo. FIFA too is far from perfect but it seems like they try a lot harder in all ways to be honest.

Please..you must be shocking if that many goals are scored.Iv had 20-30min games where only 1 or 2 goals are scored...sort out your defenence and you could actually have a proper game..iv had every pro evo since ps2 and i have never touched the master league/single player..sports games arent meant to be played in single player tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Fol20 wrote: »
    Please..you must be shocking if that many goals are scored

I guess you'll never know......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

doonothing wrote: »
    From what I gather Fifa is the more casual of the two then? I know I'd prefer the more in-depth of the two... Hmm what to do.

Fifa 09 has been jammed with features...some are better than others, but there are alot of nice extras to this years edition. IMO it's a much more realistic portrayal of football (awaits flaming)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well PES is the more casual, like you can actually have fun playing the game. I bought Fifa and after a day put it down and am back on the PES demo. Fifa is good when you want a more realistic experience(well not realistic in that dribbling is ****e)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im planning on buying ProEvo2009 for the Xbox next Friday. The last footie game I bought, and indeed played, was ProEvo 6 on the PS2. However, Ive been reading some unfavourable things about the last couple of installments on the next-gen consoles (Xbox, PS3) so Im hoping theres at least a small advance since my last ProEvo purchase?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm buying FIFA this year instead of Pro, it has much richer and deeper gameplay from what I can see. Also as much as I laughed at people who bought FIFA for the following reason it is nice to play as Everton instead of Merseyside Blue etc. etc.

God I feel a bit dirty after saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

reckon i'll splash out on fifa too, recently downloaded their latest demos and have been quite impressed, pes going backwards

honestly, rent FIFA first.

I have bought FIFA, and while it is an ok game, and enjoyable when things 'click' for you in a game, I personally find it gets very frustrating. The gameplay is too slow with passing and control taking just that bit too long, long range shots verge on impossible to score and dribbling is almost non-existent.

In saying that, I love a good passing move, and FIFA does passing moves brilliantly, as you can't run with the ball really, so its all that is left to you.

Honestly, rent FIFA and give it a good day or two to see if it suits you - do the same with Pro. I think this will be another year I play Pro over FIFA, cause I like being able to run with the abll and score long range goals. FIFA is a more realistic simulation (in comparing to the PES09 demo) but for me, Pro simulates just enough while being fun to play and attack in. I want to have fun when i play a football game, and it looks to me like Pro will deliver there for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Tauren wrote: »
    honestly, rent FIFA first.

I have bought FIFA, and while it is an ok game, and enjoyable when things 'click' for you in a game, I personally find it gets very frustrating. The gameplay is too slow with passing and control taking just that bit too long, long range shots verge on impossible to score and dribbling is almost non-existent.

In saying that, I love a good passing move, and FIFA does passing moves brilliantly, as you can't run with the ball really, so its all that is left to you.

Honestly, rent FIFA and give it a good day or two to see if it suits you - do the same with Pro. I think this will be another year I play Pro over FIFA, cause I like being able to run with the abll and score long range goals. FIFA is a more realistic simulation (in comparing to the PES09 demo) but for me, Pro simulates just enough while being fun to play and attack in. I want to have fun when i play a football game, and it looks to me like Pro will deliver there for me.

Totally agree, was in a friends house at the weekend and he had rented out fifa. We played it for a few hours and then converted back to PES for the rest of the day. FIFA is just so boring and slow. But guess it is just every man to his own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I bought Fifa last night, mainly after reading reviews and various threads about how it's miles better than PES this year. I have to say that I actually found it a little bit tedious. Am I the only person who gets annoyed that they haven't sorted the button lag from last year? I'm afraid that after only one night I'm bored with it, it's too easy to score with the same moves and I just don't get the urge to watch replays of goals....as I do with PES (even on the demo).
    I realise I'm probably not giving it enough time, but I think it's going to be PES for me this year....I now know that real names/kits etc. actually don't matter to me as much as the gameplay. I just hope Konami have sorted out the online lag!

Don't suppose anyone knows if HMV will exchange games with the receipt under their 21 day exchange rule?

Sorry Tauren, just read your post after posting mine and you've pretty much said it all for me! On another note, my mate said he received his copy of PES today from play.com (he's in th UK). He's apparently testing online now so I'm waiting for an email from him with his impression.

kin9pin wrote: »
    On another note, my mate said he received his copy of PES today from play.com (he's in th UK). He's apparently testing online now so I'm waiting for an email from him with his impression.

Update: he can't get online as it won't be available until tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Civil war in my house at the moment. My two younger brothers (19 and 16) want us to stick to our proud lineage of PES. Normally I wouldn't question them, but after just reading the eurogamer review, my suspicions have been confirmed. FIFA seems to edge it this year.

I downloaded and played both demos on the playstation and if I'm honest, neither one blew me away. It's the first time I have played FIFA in years and I didn't take to it at all. After I put the controller down I thought it was another victory for PES. However, a few 5 minute demo matches left me equally apathetic. It could be new footie game syndrome: every iteration of PES had minor differences (more recently these have been backwards, at least since Collina was on the box) and it always took a good few matches to get things going. This year I don't have the benefit of hangover mornings with friends and PES versus lectures so I am thinking why bother with either?

PES2008 was a very good game, lacking any real innovation and a cringeworthy score (which grew on me! Football, soccer, football, soccer...all around the world :)), it was just the same old PES+1 year. The slowdown in high intensity, replays and penalties was unforgivable on PS3, but I am reluctant to spend another 60/70 euro for more of the same.

I think 2009 will mostly be the year of PES2008 for me.

Update: he can't get online as it won't be available until tomorrow!

Another update........quote from my mate in UK:

"Ahhh its only Legends mode that dont start till tomm , i just played a game online :) Really Fast and TOTALLY LAG FREE , AWESOME!!!!!!!!"

Made my mind up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leek

kingpin. where you get the game from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 instruction

hey guys i'm new here. Big pro evo fan. Played fifa today for first time and i must say it doesn't have anything on last years pro evo in terms of gameplay. Pro Evo is by far the best last time round and it seems certain again. The only thing i'll give fifa is the exceptional graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Imagine it being lag free when only a small number of people possibly have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Another update........quote from my mate in UK:

"Ahhh its only Legends mode that dont start till tomm , i just played a game online :) Really Fast and TOTALLY LAG FREE , AWESOME!!!!!!!!"

Made my mind up anyway.

Lads, if any of you recall two years ago when Pro evo 6 for ps2 came out on the wed, it had zero lag, but when official release date rolled around the game went back to being one half lagtastic one half ok, so i wouldnt count no chickens just yet, til tm and more people have played it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

So who's played both new games?
    Anyone care to review, say which is better

Advertisement